+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1924
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend

    Tabata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    The Official Cricket Thread

    Since the World Cup thread went so well. I thought I'd make another cricket thread. I know Nash, Ajra and Gdn are fans. Humph and Blokee are you also fans?

    Anyway I'll start it off with I saw in the paper a few days ago. It's a bit insane, but I'll post it anway.

    John Buchanan wants rivals to poach young stars

    Ben Dorries and Jon Pierik

    November 14, 2007 12:00am

    FORMER national coach John Buchanan has a bold plan to fix world cricket that could see rival Test nations poaching the next generation of Australian stars.

    Buchanan has also called for a world cricket summit to address the growing chasm between Australia and the rest of the world.

    His call follows another crushing Australian win in the first Test in Brisbane this week against Sri Lanka.

    As former South African batting great Barry Richards claimed cricket had become a turn-off because of Australia's dominance, Buchanan has told rival nations to tap into Australia's talent pool.

    "Countries should look to recruit young players from Australia, and places like India, to increase their depths of talent," Buchanan said.

    "Those players would enhance the domestic competition and, hopefully, go on to play Test cricket for the country they move to.

    "I believe the International Cricket Council should allow this and relax guidelines for qualification periods.

    "This would be a short-term fix for a more level playing field for Test cricket.

    "A summit is also a good idea but it would have to be devoid of politics and have the right people in the room.

    "We don't want cricket to become like a horse race when the favourite wins all the time. No one will want to watch."

    There are fears cricket is becoming all one-way traffic.

    Ricky Ponting's team has rebounded from the 2005 Ashes loss to win 13 Tests in a row and needs another four to snatch the record for consecutive wins.

    Buchanan's suggestion may seem revolutionary but there have been several successful defections of players.

    Kevin Pietersen, Tony Greig, Allan Lamb and Kepler Wessels starred at Test level after switching their allegiances.

    Brisbane club wicketkeeper Geraint Jones played 34 Tests for England. including the 2005 Ashes, after trading countries.

    Australia has a healthy domestic structure. Its cricket academy, the envy of the world, would be a great poaching ground for rival nations.

    Explosive WA keeper-batsman Luke Ronchi, NSW allrounder Moises Henriques, Victorian wicketkeeper Matthew Wade, promising Tasmanian allrounder Luke Butterworth and Queensland batsman Greg Moller could all be attractive targets.

    World cricket has become so lopsided and Australia is so far ahead of the pack that Richards insists results are inevitable and the game stale.

    "Australia plays international cricket, the rest just play cricket," Richards said. "I have lost interest in it because I know the result before they start playing.

    "Until you get strength against strength, nothing is going to happen."

    Richards believes there are no easy answers.

    "They keep saying they want to spread the game around the world, but what's the use of spreading the game if they are all useless," Richards said.

    "In England, they have 18 counties and they call it first-class cricket and its absolutely useless.

    "Half of the club teams in South Africa wouldn't beat a club side here, the same in India, they have got over 25 teams in first-class cricket."

    Touring captain Mahela Jayawardene has called for a revamp of Sri Lankan domestic cricket.

    "Improvement is needed. The competitiveness of our cricket is not as good as other countries," Jayawardene said.

    Ponting warned rivals after Australia's crushing Test win in Brisbane that his team would not let up and was determined to extend its dominance, even without retired legends Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.

    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...8-2882,00.html
    He must be bored with retirement already.

  2. #2
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    Since the World Cup thread went so well. I thought I'd make another cricket thread. I know Nash, Ajra and Gdn are fans. Humph and Blokee are you also fans?
    Count me in!

    I've got a bit of a head start because over the past few weeks, thanks to "Sky Sports", I've managed to catch parts of the Australia/Sri Lanka test, and the India/Pakistan and South Africa/New Zealand ODIs. Watching cricket being played in the sun in the southern hemisphere at this time of year, while the cold is freezing the gonads off me on this Godforsaken island during the winter months, is pure Heaven to this old fart !
    Last edited by Nashwan; 11-15-07 at 01:54 PM.

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Damn you Nashwan. Do you have to keep reminding me that I can't watch cricket?

  4. #4
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Damn you Nashwan. Do you have to keep reminding me that I can't watch cricket?
    Sorry, gdn, that kind of slipped out! From our exchanges of old, I know how cricket deprived you are so I shall make a concerted effort to dampen my enthusiasm. Tell you what, though, the current India/Pakistan games have been great entertainment. Not much between the teams which has meant that the games have been more than evenly contested. About time Yuvraj Singh had a failure with the bat, as he's probably been the main difference between the two sides up till now.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    Sorry, gdn, that kind of slipped out! From our exchanges of old, I know how cricket deprived you are so I shall make a concerted effort to dampen my enthusiasm. Tell you what, though, the current India/Pakistan games have been great entertainment. Not much between the teams which has meant that the games have been more than evenly contested. About time Yuvraj Singh had a failure with the bat, as he's probably been the main difference between the two sides up till now.
    You're right; they're both evenly matched, middle-of-the pack teams. Both of them have historically been underachievers. Ind-Pak matches are the only time I actively root for India.

  6. #6
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    You're right; they're both evenly matched, middle-of-the pack teams. Both of them have historically been underachievers. Ind-Pak matches are the only time I actively root for India.
    Fair enough. I see that Yuvraj Singh made his usual contribution (53 not out) in India's six wicket win today. The man is just not human at the moment!

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    Fair enough. I see that Yuvraj Singh made his usual contribution (53 not out) in India's six wicket win today. The man is just not human at the moment!
    I followed it live on Cricinfo (thank God for their live commentary, by the way!). Tendulkar fell once again in the 90's. This was, apparently, the sixth time this year that he was out in the 90's in ODIs. Three of those dismissals have come when he was on 99! Quite the jinx the fellow has.

    On a side note, on my recent trip to the motherland, I picked up a copy of EA Sports Cricket 2007. I have, I must admit, become addicted to the computer game. It is a lot of fun to play! Anyone else tried it?

  8. #8
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    I followed it live on Cricinfo (thank God for their live commentary, by the way!). Tendulkar fell once again in the 90's. This was, apparently, the sixth time this year that he was out in the 90's in ODIs. Three of those dismissals have come when he was on 99! Quite the jinx the fellow has.
    Just having his fair share of bad luck, I guess. I wouldn't mind if an England batsman was out consistently on 99 runs!! We haven't got anybody who can get 30, never mind 90 odd!

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    On a side note, on my recent trip to the motherland, I picked up a copy of EA Sports Cricket 2007. I have, I must admit, become addicted to the computer game. It is a lot of fun to play! Anyone else tried it?
    So that's where you disappeared?! Thought I hadn't seen your "handle" around for a while. Hope you had a pleasant trip back to the "old country". Sorry, but I'll have to pass on these computer thingies - I have enough trouble finding the "on" and "off" button on this machine!

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    Just having his fair share of bad luck, I guess. I wouldn't mind if an England batsman was out consistently on 99 runs!! We haven't got anybody who can get 30, never mind 90 odd!



    So that's where you disappeared?! Thought I hadn't seen your "handle" around for a while. Hope you had a pleasant trip back to the "old country". Sorry, but I'll have to pass on these computer thingies - I have enough trouble finding the "on" and "off" button on this machine!
    Oh come now. Your captain seems to be enjoying his break and is apparently refreshed for the upcoming "tough" Sri Lanka series. I'm sure someone will hit a half-century.

  10. #10

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    Since the World Cup thread went so well. I thought I'd make another cricket thread. I know Nash, Ajra and Gdn are fans. Humph and Blokee are you also fans?
    .
    I was raised only a short bus ride away from The Oval ( the Kennington one ) and love the game . Just it's a little hard to follow cricket in this part of the world, although I sometimes follow internet coverage.

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Humph
    I was raised only a short bus ride away from The Oval ( the Kennington one ) and love the game . Just it's a little hard to follow cricket in this part of the world, although I sometimes follow internet coverage.
    I'm next door and it really is a pain to follow. DirecTV has some offerings, but they are quite expensive.

  12. #12
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Oh come now. Your captain seems to be enjoying his break and is apparently refreshed for the upcoming "tough" Sri Lanka series. I'm sure someone will hit a half-century.
    I'd quite like to watch cricket in Sri Lanka, particularly in Galle or Kandy. The both look terrific venues.

    I've just been having a look at a website that takes English cricket lovers around the world when the team is on tour. C. $2,0000 for one test match in Sri Lanka, which is not bad for a seven night stay, but doesn't include match tickets. Shouldn't imagine they would cost much. The bummer for me is that I've used up my holiday entitlement for this year with two visits to the States so a trip to the "far flung" won't be on my agenda. I'll just have to watch it on the television!

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    Tabata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Another very solid batting day for Australia. Jaques & Hussey both with back-to-back centurys. Hopefuly we can set a total of 550-600 tomorrow and send Sri Lanka in late. Things looking good.

  14. #14
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    Another very solid batting day for Australia. Jaques & Hussey both with back-to-back centurys. Hopefuly we can set a total of 550-600 tomorrow and send Sri Lanka in late. Things looking good.
    I saw the last hour's play and I suspect that the outcome will the same as the First Test, with the Aussies steam-rollering the Sri Lankans into submission.

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    That Aussie middle order is really something isn't it? Ponting, Hussey, Clarke...even Symonds. Makes you say Martyn who?

  16. #16
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    That Aussie middle order is really something isn't it? Ponting, Hussey, Clarke...even Symonds. Makes you say Martyn who?
    The openers aren't bad, either!

    Despite the loss of the likes of McGrath, Warne, etc., the Aussies continue to dominate in all aspects of the game and I certainly can't see any team being good enough to challenge their dominance, either now or in the immediate future.

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    The openers aren't bad, either!

    Despite the loss of the likes of McGrath, Warne, etc., the Aussies continue to dominate in all aspects of the game and I certainly can't see any team being good enough to challenge their dominance, either now or in the immediate future.
    If only South Africa were a little more consisent with their bowling and batting. I think they have the talent.

    They've had the same success with replacements: Donald and Pollock (who seems like he is being unceremoniously shoved aside) have been replaced by Ntini, Nel and Steyn (did you see that hit taken by Cumming today?). The batting misses Kirsten, though.

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    I think it's time for a "modern day" Hall of Fame. Does cricket even have one?

    Post your list of HOF candidates from each of the Test playing nations in the last 20 years, but limit it to three per country.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    I'll start:

    AUS - Boy is this a toughie. There are so many to choose from. I'll go with Steve Waugh, Allan Border and McGrath. But look at who I'm leaving out: Mark Taylor, Mark Waugh, Craig McDermott, Ian Healey (wasn't he still playing?), Shane Warne, Langer, Dean Jones (!!!), David Boon.

    ENG - Another tough one, thanks mainly to some good years in the late 80's, early 90's. Gooch, Stewart, Atherton, Botham, Gower, Gatting, Hussain, Lamb, Hick... I think I'm going with ... geez.... umm... Gooch, Stewart and Gower.

    IND - Slightly easier, in my opinion. Tendulkar, Kapil Dev and Azharruddin. Some others: Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Shastri, Vengsarkar. Gavaskar just misses the cutoff, but that's a no-brainer.

    NZ - This is tough. Fleming, Crowe...Danny Morrison? Daniel Vettori? Nathan Astle? I got nothing...

    PAK - Surprisingly, quite a long list of candidates: Miandad, Akram, Younis, Rameez Raja, Salim Malik, Saeed Anwar, Imran, Aamir Sohail. Wow. They had some good players; just never could get it together. I'm going with Wasim Akram, Javed Miandad and Salim Malik.

    SA - This is tough. To include Hansie or not? Without him, we have Kallis, Gibbs, Kirsten, Pollock, Donald, Jonty... Without Hansie, I'm going to pick Kallis, Pollock and Donald.

  20. #20
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cheshire, Great Britain.

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    I think you're trying to make my head explode in having to think on a Friday night, gdn!! Anyway, here's my 2 cents worth, based on those players who seem(ed) to take on a sadistic streak whenever they play(ed) against England:

    AUS: Steve Waugh, Shane Warne and Allan Border.
    NZ: Stephen Fleming, Chris Cairns and Martin Crowe
    SL: Muralitharan, Jayawardene and Aravinda da Silva
    IND: Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Kapil Dev
    PK: Wasim Akram, Javed Miandad and Inzamam-ul-Haq
    WI: Brian Lara, Courtney Walsh and Chanderpaul
    SAF: Peter Kirsten, Allan Donald and Shaun Pollock

    Now for England, and the players I've picked may not necessarily have been the greatest, but they are the ones I would want on my side in a battle:

    Michael Atherton, Ian Botham and Alec Stewart.

  21. #21

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Wikipedia tells me Richard Hadlee played test cricket until ' 90 . He's a must for the New Zealanders, imho.

    Apparently, he took over 400 test wickets at 22ish runs a piece, which tells its own story, but he only batted a 27 test average. I thought he was better than that with the willow.

  22. #22
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    Since the World Cup thread went so well. I thought I'd make another cricket thread. I know Nash, Ajra and Gdn are fans. Humph and Blokee are you also fans?
    I don't like cricket...oh no...I love it! (You'll either need to be a fan of 10CC or watch SkySports to understand that reference)

    Cricket was the sport I was good at as a youngster, one of the quartet of bowlers that made my school year the dominant force across the county of Hampshire for years. I watch a lot of cricket, I was watching the Aussies crushing Sri Lanka just last night on day two of the 2nd test from Hobart.

    I was at the 2005 C&G Trophy Final from Lords where my Hampshire beat Warwickshire. So no doubt I'll hang around this thread.

  23. #23
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    HoF thoughts...

    Aussies - Warnie is the greatest bowler to of ever played the game - period. Glenn McGrath was his long-time buddy and has to go in as well, leaving one spot for a batter and I'm going to plumb for a shock, Ponting - he may of played in an era of great Aussies but really his averages are off the charts. - Those next up include Boon, Border, Merv Hughes & Gilchrist.

    WI - This one is easy - Brian Charles Lara - need I say more? Along with him I go with another great bowling partnership, Walsh & Ambrose - Walsh the more consistant, Ambrose the better. Leaving out the likes of Marshall, Holding, Garner, Sobers due to this being a 'modern day' HoF.

    Pak - The former captain Inzy was both a great man and a great batsman (and a woeful runner between the wickets). Imran Khan and Wasim Akram are the two relative no brainers.

    Ind - Sachin needs no introduction. Kapil Dev gets the nod to join him. I go with Ganguly but there are plenty of similar players.

    Eng - Beefy is the clear first ballot guy but apart from him, we've had a lot of 'good' but not great players. My second pick hasn't been mentioned yet, 100 tests, more graceful left handed bat I have ever seen, Mr G P Thorpe. To finish the trio I'll go with Athers - that night in Manchester with the ball from Allan Donald coming down and Athers refusing to give up his wicket was pure drama. The 185* @ Jo'Burg to save the test was the best rearguard knock of the modern day England era.

    Others - Murali has to go in from SL but no-one else would be HoF worthy for me, not even Da Silva. South Africa would give us Donald with Pollock on the bubble and probably just in. NZ would give us no-one apart from Sir Richard Hadlee with Fleming, Crowe and Chris Cairns missing out just.

    As some of you may or may not know I am the editor of a sports network that is under development. We have a Cricket site at http://www.talkcricket.co.uk/ - there are some player profiles etc... on there but most of them are still with the copywriting team. So if you need to know anything about the sport then please scout around.

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Humph
    Wikipedia tells me Richard Hadlee played test cricket until ' 90 . He's a must for the New Zealanders, imho.

    Apparently, he took over 400 test wickets at 22ish runs a piece, which tells its own story, but he only batted a 27 test average. I thought he was better than that with the willow.
    I thought of Hadlee, but he's too close to the cutoff. If we're going back 20 years, that's about 1988. He can't have done much between then and 1990 when he retired.

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: The Official Cricket Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blokee
    HoF thoughts...

    Aussies - Warnie is the greatest bowler to of ever played the game - period. Glenn McGrath was his long-time buddy and has to go in as well, leaving one spot for a batter and I'm going to plumb for a shock, Ponting - he may of played in an era of great Aussies but really his averages are off the charts. - Those next up include Boon, Border, Merv Hughes & Gilchrist.

    WI - This one is easy - Brian Charles Lara - need I say more? Along with him I go with another great bowling partnership, Walsh & Ambrose - Walsh the more consistant, Ambrose the better. Leaving out the likes of Marshall, Holding, Garner, Sobers due to this being a 'modern day' HoF.

    Pak - The former captain Inzy was both a great man and a great batsman (and a woeful runner between the wickets). Imran Khan and Wasim Akram are the two relative no brainers.

    Ind - Sachin needs no introduction. Kapil Dev gets the nod to join him. I go with Ganguly but there are plenty of similar players.

    Eng - Beefy is the clear first ballot guy but apart from him, we've had a lot of 'good' but not great players. My second pick hasn't been mentioned yet, 100 tests, more graceful left handed bat I have ever seen, Mr G P Thorpe. To finish the trio I'll go with Athers - that night in Manchester with the ball from Allan Donald coming down and Athers refusing to give up his wicket was pure drama. The 185* @ Jo'Burg to save the test was the best rearguard knock of the modern day England era.

    Others - Murali has to go in from SL but no-one else would be HoF worthy for me, not even Da Silva. South Africa would give us Donald with Pollock on the bubble and probably just in. NZ would give us no-one apart from Sir Richard Hadlee with Fleming, Crowe and Chris Cairns missing out just.

    As some of you may or may not know I am the editor of a sports network that is under development. We have a Cricket site at http://www.talkcricket.co.uk/ - there are some player profiles etc... on there but most of them are still with the copywriting team. So if you need to know anything about the sport then please scout around.
    Some interesting choices there... I hadn't realized Thorpe was that good. I remember him being a mainstay for a while, but always as someone that never quite realized his full potential (same for Hick).

    You have some strict standards, man! Omitting players like DeSilva and Martin Crowe! I think Pollock has had a far better career than Donald, too. Especially since Pollock can bat a bit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts