+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 ... LastLast

Re: The Official Cricket Thread

Surely Henry Blofeld has to be in the top five somewhere, or did he die or something ?

I'm glad to see that Benaud is still alive and well. I remember John Alderton (the actor) remarking once that Richie , as a commentator , has the knack of being there just when you need him.

Bliss, a commentator who doesn't blitz the listener with constant rabbit .

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Humph
    Surely Henry Blofeld has to be in the top five somewhere, or did he die or something ?
    Yes, "Bloers", with his plummy English accent, is good entertainment. The only problem I have with him is that when a test match is being staged at The Oval, he tends to tell you more about the local buses and pigeons than what is going on in the game! In those dim and distant days when BBC had the television rights, I used to turn the commentary off because the likes of Peter West and Jim Laker bored the arse off me, and instead tuned into Radio 2 to listen to the commentary provided by such humourists as Brian Johnstone, Fred Trueman, Trevor Bailey, amongst others. They were barking mad, particularly Brian Johnstone, but provided great entertainment for their listeners.

NYYF Legend

Nash, you guys didn't lose!!!!

You must be ecstatic

In all seriousness, kudos to your boys for pulling off this draw.

Quote Originally Posted by gdn

You must be ecstatic

Looking at the scorecards, I take it there wasn't much in the pitch for the bowlers.

Also, England's 351 in the first innings looks to these eyes as if it was at least a 100 runs or so short of a decent score. I suppose it is all immaterial now, though.

NYYF HOF

You must be ecstatic

No point in me really passing any comment, gdn, because Humph has summed it up perfectly in his surmise! (Humph, your powers of deduction never cease to amaze me!!) Yes England were "light" in their first innings which was duly shown to be only slightly detrimental. But it was never, in my opinion, a "result" pitch - only a second innings collapse of the highest magntitude by England would have made it interesting. I saw the whole of this morning's play and for once even I wasn't feeling pessimistic!

It has to be said about the Sri Lanka/England series that some shocking decisions by the umpires, particularly by Daryl Harper and Asad Rauf, have made the games more interesting. I think that the best three umpires, namely Simon Taufel, Aleem Dar and Steve Bucknor are in a class of their own and the rest merely make up the "Elite List". Any thoughts from an Indian or neutral perspective?

In a totally unrelated event, the EWCB is reported to have offered its Zimbabwean counterpart $300,000 if the country opts out of its proposed three ODI in England in 2009. Given that no silly sod in his right mind would give up good money to watch Zimbabwe, the EWCB are obviously looking to safeguard its finances.

Whilst I was reading the BBC article about the above, I noticed the following paragraph:

"Zimbabwe's cricket board decided to give up Test status in January 2006 after a group of senior players quit in protest at the way the game was run, leaving their side too inexperienced to be competitive against leading teams."

I thought I had read somewhere, but couldn't find any reference to it, that Zimbabwe no longer had test status.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    (Humph, your powers of deduction never cease to amaze me!!)
    Only 22 wickets falling was a bit of a clue.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Humph
    Only 22 wickets falling was a bit of a clue.
    You're far too modest!

NYYF Legend

I feel bad for the Black Caps. Always steamrolled by the Aussies.

NYYF HOF

I feel bad for the Black Caps. Always steamrolled by the Aussies.

When I joined the game at c. 4:00 a.m., the Kiwis were steaming along at 150-1. They lost two quick wickets which seemed to affect the free-scoring McCallum, whose hitting suddenly lost its impetus. He then got himself out trying to smear another one over extra cover and was caught. After that, it was all very pedestrian and the Kiwis couldn't make a competitive enough score on what was a very decent surface in Adelaide. I believe that Ponting batted beautifully for his 107.

I can't keep up with the cricket these days because there's so much of it going on around the southern hemisphere! I didn't have the faintest idea I would be watching cricket when I fell out of bed this morning, but was pleasantly surprised to see the Aussie/Kiwi game, albeit a ODI, being beamed into my living room. Sadly, I have to hop it to work so didn't see the Australian innings. Any "piracy" going on the gdn household, per chance, or is it just a question of keeping in touch with "Cricinfo"?

NYYF Legend

The timing is off for me too, so no watching it on the internet (piracy? I would never!). Cricinfo it is for the scores and highlights.

Actually, my post was before I knew the result of the game, so a bit prescient!

NYYF Legend

The rain saved the day for the kiwis today. Match abandoned after 6 overs. The series is wide open now, 3rd match is at Hobart of all places (should be at the G, but anyway). I still think we can win the series but New Zealand only have to win the last game to take home the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, and it would be nice to win it since it's the only trophy we don't hold right now.

By the way, I've loved all the talk between the kiwis and us. Tait's gonna let them have it on Thursday.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    The rain saved the day for the kiwis today. Match abandoned after 6 overs. The series is wide open now, 3rd match is at Hobart of all places (should be at the G, but anyway). I still think we can win the series but New Zealand only have to win the last game to take home the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, and it would be nice to win it since it's the only trophy we don't hold right now.

By the way, I've loved all the talk between the kiwis and us. Tait's gonna let them have it on Thursday.
    What's all the fuss about? The Aussies are generally all over the Kiwis like a bad rash so I can't fathom out why this Chappell-Hadlee series is so important, apart, perhaps, from "local" bragging rights. Incidentally, I like Hobart as a venue: some nice scenery in that part of the world! Goooo Kiwis!!

NYYF HOF

It looks, weather permitting, that the third test between Sri Lanka and England will take place at Galle this week, despite the ground still being in a state of disrepair following the devastating effects of the tsunami three years ago. As long as the wicket isn't dangerous, play the game, scoreboard or no scoreboard, because the locals deserve to see cricket after what they went through on Boxing Day 2004.

NYYF Legend

Wow. For once I watched a full match!! I saw the first six overs, which were full of devastating bowling by Lee and Bracken. The Kiwis did get saved. It was starting to look like one of the games I play on EA Sports Cricket.

NYYF HOF

Wow. For once I watched a full match!! I saw the first six overs, which were full of devastating bowling by Lee and Bracken. The Kiwis did get saved. It was starting to look like one of the games I play on EA Sports Cricket.
    Not to be missed, gdn: Christmas Night, 11:30 p.m. GMT, start of the first test between Australia and India. I'll ply the missus with cooking sherry, get her to pass out for the night, and then get myself comfortable in readiness for the start of the cricket!

NYYF Legend

Hehehe. I'll be ready for it too. 11:30GMT means 6:30pm for me! Yipee!! I can watch a session or two before I have to go to bed.

NYYF HOF

Hehehe. I'll be ready for it too. 11:30GMT means 6:30pm for me! Yipee!! I can watch a session or two before I have to go to bed.
    Where's your stamina, gdn? I thought that a man of your calibre would be able to stagger through the entire day's play!

Looking at the few words above your avatar reminded me of something funny I was reading a few days ago: there are a group of cricket-loving geezers in this country who bought a racehorse and called it Nudge and Nurdle. The guys, who are a real sporting bunch, decided to call their ownership syndicate The "Yes", "No", "Wait", "Sorries"!! That quite amused me, I must say!

NYYF Legend

I would if I didn't have to work the next day

NYYF HOF

I would if I didn't have to work the next day
    Very sorry to hear that. You tend to forget that folk in certain sectors of life have to work on days which, for the majority of us, are public holidays. My commiserations.

NYYF Legend

You have a holiday on the 26th?

NYYF HOF

You have a holiday on the 26th?
    Yes, it's an official public holiday over here.

I am lucky in the fact that I will finish this Friday (21st December) and will not return until 2nd January. We used to have to come into work between Xmas and New Year but some years ago the powers-that-be decided it wasn't worth heating and lighting such a large the place for a few days, hence the long holiday. Not much point in complaining, is there?!!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    Yes, it's an official public holiday over here.

I am lucky in the fact that I will finish this Friday (21st December) and will not return until 2nd January. We used to have to come into work between Xmas and New Year but some years ago the powers-that-be decided it wasn't worth heating and lighting such a large the place for a few days, hence the long holiday. Not much point in complaining, is there?!!!!
    Wow. You lucky, lucky dog.

I have to work not only on the 24th and 26th, but also on the 31st and 2nd (if they happen to fall on a weekday).

That T20 match was quite something, eh? Two three-wicket overs in the same match and SA almost pulled off an unbelievable upset (well, if they'd gotten a few more wickets - it was close).

NYYF HOF

Wow. You lucky, lucky dog.

I have to work not only on the 24th and 26th, but also on the 31st and 2nd (if they happen to fall on a weekday).
    That's tough, gdn. I shall spare you a thought or three as you go about your daily grind during the "Festive" period.

That T20 match was quite something, eh? Two three-wicket overs in the same match and SA almost pulled off an unbelievable upset (well, if they'd gotten a few more wickets - it was close).
    As you know, I am no lover of that form of cricket, but have to admit that it was nice to see the bowlers have the upper hand for a change. West Indies also actually winning a game was something of a novelty as well.

I see that a monsoon-type deluge has hit Galle and play in the final test between England and Sri Lanka will not now start until 6.30 a.m. GMT tomorrow. I was really looking forward to seeing the first couple of hours' play before I set off for work but shall now have to settle for catching up with the score when I actually get to work. Evidently, the whole of the cricket ground at Galle is a real mess and they reckon the wicket is certain to be like a minefield. Should make for very interesting viewing!

NYYF Legend

Maybe they should find a new ground for the third test...how long can this go on?

NYYF Legend

Headline in the paper today: "India too old, too tired, too rushed"

I hope this doesn't comeback and bit us in the ass.

Thread Information