+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Here, there, and everywhere. Dirty Coke's Avatar

Does anyone here work in Advertising or Public Relations?

I'm an Advertising/PR major, and I have some questions.

Re: Does anyone here work in Advertising or Public Relations?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Coke
    I'm an Advertising/PR major, and I have some questions.
    I'm not but I know A LOT about those majors because their similar and I have a lot of friends who might be able to help you out.
    [

Oh, good! My questions mainly pertain to how to get my first job (internship, trainee, or entry level) in the industry and how to get my resume noticed. If I work for an Advertising agency, I'd prefer to go into the creative side. As far as Public Relations goes, I would love to work in sports (baseball, if possible). Anything you and your friends can tell me is greatly appreciated.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Where do you live and where do you plan to work? Check this site under "Marketing":

http://www.careerbuilder.com/
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Cy Young

I'm in advertising, on the creative side... I'm a copywriter.

my official title is public affairs asst. but i work for the gov., don't know much about sports and such
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Quote Originally Posted by montyque
    I'm in advertising, on the creative side... I'm a copywriter.
    How does one break into this field?

I have a writing/editing background, but I have never done any copywriting. All of the copywriting jobs that I see require years of experience.

How do you break into copywriting without any experience?

NYYF Legend

I work at a big agency, I primarily work on US Marines, HSBC, and Diamond Trading Company, but we have tons of accounts, Ford, JetBlue, Cadbury, Listerine, Johnson and Johnson, etc. If you want a big agency, I can give you the email of who does the hiring for the digital side, with a little direct mail.

I personally believe that if you are young you should go for a big name, it will get you through many doors when you are older.

I would start by doing some freelance work with a chance to hire after, I know many firms love the young guy because they are cheap and haven't been jaded by the industry. (it is intense and stressful).

Find who the recruiters are in the agnecy and send your resume like gangbusters.

NYYF Legend

I work in advertising and I can tell you it's very very difficult to get a job on the creative side. I actually do media buying for a fairly small agency, which I enjoy, but it's not exactly glamorous. As for internships, your best bet is to just apply for as many at as many agencies as possible -- they are difficult to get and I suggest you start ASAP. It would be the same with any PR agencies.

There are entry level jobs available, but if you're still in school, I would suggest trying to see if you can get credit for it; there tend to be better internships for students that can get credit, than those out of school -- once you're out, you're out of luck (which is what I ran into).

Also, the entry level pay in advertising/PR is pretty low (at least from what I experienced). Just remember that when you consider taking a job.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

I don't, but I think I'd be open to buy "Dirty Coke" before "Coca-Cola Zero".

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
    I work at a big agency, I primarily work on US Marines, HSBC, and Diamond Trading Company, but we have tons of accounts, Ford, JetBlue, Cadbury, Listerine, Johnson and Johnson, etc. If you want a big agency, I can give you the email of who does the hiring for the digital side, with a little direct mail.

I personally believe that if you are young you should go for a big name, it will get you through many doors when you are older.

I would start by doing some freelance work with a chance to hire after, I know many firms love the young guy because they are cheap and haven't been jaded by the industry. (it is intense and stressful).

Find who the recruiters are in the agnecy and send your resume like gangbusters.
    I agree about the big agency. And yes, I'd love the e-mail! Please feel free to PM it to me.

Montyque, how long have you done copywriting? How did you get into it?

To answer another question, I live in Oklahoma right now because of school, but I'm returning to NY next year after I graduate.

I used to work in PR. I got my first job through the internship I had, and I know many others who have developed valuable connections or otherwise had doors opened for them via internships.
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

Awesome. I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going to use. Even if I have to intern after I graduate and work another job to pay bills.

Did you like working in PR, silver?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by keg411
    I work in advertising and I can tell you it's very very difficult to get a job on the creative side. I actually do media buying for a fairly small agency, which I enjoy, but it's not exactly glamorous. As for internships, your best bet is to just apply for as many at as many agencies as possible -- they are difficult to get and I suggest you start ASAP. It would be the same with any PR agencies.

There are entry level jobs available, but if you're still in school, I would suggest trying to see if you can get credit for it; there tend to be better internships for students that can get credit, than those out of school -- once you're out, you're out of luck (which is what I ran into).

Also, the entry level pay in advertising/PR is pretty low (at least from what I experienced). Just remember that when you consider taking a job.
    I agree with everything keg says here. I used to work for a fairly large ad agency in DC but I have since moved over to client side marketing. To get a job in the creative department you have to be, well, creative. Are you looking to do graphic design work or are you a copywriter? Entry level copywriter jobs are pretty tough to come by and the pay is not great. But you need to start somewhere so start building your resume/writing samples with as much writing work as you can eventually show off to a prospective employer. A friend of mine started off as an account manager at Y&R and got to be friends with a graphic designer. The two of them then put together a portfolio of "fake" ads they came up with. By fake I mean they were not actual ads that the client ever used or saw. He just used the portfolio as a means to show off his creative potential. Eventually the agency gave him a junior copywriter job and his career just took off from there.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

DC -- I've never worked in an ad agency but I work in a Marketing Creative Dept that is essentially an in-house agency for a financial services firm.

Everyone that I know who has worked for an agency has given me very bad feedback -- it's a tough place to work, very cut throat and not very secure -- if the agency loses a big client, that may be enough for them to let several people go...it's extremely stressful.

Good luck to you if that's the route you take -- just wanted to give you a little warning.

Thanks for the information. I'm not really deterred by how difficult it is to get into or the low pay.

And I'm a writer. I'll also be graduating with a degree in both Advertising and Public Relations, so I'm hoping that will help as far as jobs go. I know that the PR field is always expanding and there's so many opportunities within that. As far as advertising goes---I'm pretty much don't want a sales position. Anything else I will do.

I'm in PR, but I got into it through journalism so I don't know if I would have much advice on getting that first job. If you are focusing on media relations, the most important thing is to prove you can get coverage, and the only way to do that is to intern or volunteer. Non-profits are always looking for help with PR, and you're good at what you do it will result in work.

I've worked agency and client-side (where I am now) and I have to say client-side is much less stressful.

As for sports, it is tough to get into. I know the Mets recently had an opening for a PR Coordinator and they were looking for a minimum of ten-years experience in sports PR before they would even look at your resume...not that I would want to work for the Mets anyway...

Question--- a few people have mentioned the client side being easier than agency. Is that because of the cut-throatedness?

NYYF Legend

Question--- a few people have mentioned the client side being easier than agency. Is that because of the cut-throatedness?
    Just remember -- everything rolls down hill. So if the client cuts their advertising budget or decides to switch agencies, it impacts the amount of revenue coming in to your agency which ultimately leads to layoffs. If the client sits on a project until the last minute, they'll expect you to move mountains to meet ridiculous deadlines. I've worked on both sides and I definitely prefer the client side, but I know people who feel exactly the opposite way. They love the more creative environment and the energy of the agency experience.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Hunka Hunka Hot Monkey Love! mitchrock's Avatar

I found my job through hotjobs.com a while back. You can always start in sales and work your way up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mitchrock
    I found my job through hotjobs.com a while back. You can always start in sales and work your way up.
    Sales is absolutely insane. I do buying and I could NEVER imagine being on the other end -- all commission, tons of stress, bad hours. If you're successful, the pay is great, but it seems like a pain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    If the client sits on a project until the last minute, they'll expect you to move mountains to meet ridiculous deadlines.
    So true.

And the creative people are always the first ones cut when the budgets go bad. Because it's really really easy to freelance creative and we've even done creative ourselves at the agency I work at. Of course, again, I'm at a small place, but it's good to have a really strong reason for the agency to "keep" you, even if business slows. After thinking about it, if you really want to do the creative side, you should try to work at a specialty creative shop instead of at an ad agency.
    UM now, UM always
    Let's Go Yankees!

Hunka Hunka Hot Monkey Love! mitchrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keg411
    Sales is absolutely insane. I do buying and I could NEVER imagine being on the other end -- all commission, tons of stress, bad hours. If you're successful, the pay is great, but it seems like a pain to me.
    It is insane. Most of us that have been doing this a while can make the hours manageable. Income does fluctuate but not as much as you would think. The key is to keep up the prospecting activity and never give up. Don't be afraid of rejection.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mitchrock
    It is insane. Most of us that have been doing this a while can make the hours manageable. Income does fluctuate but not as much as you would think. The key is to keep up the prospecting activity and never give up. Don't be afraid of rejection.
    And that is why I'm NOT in sales .
    UM now, UM always
    Let's Go Yankees!

Thank you guys for the information!

Keg, what is it like to work in buying?

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

I'd rather have my butt kissed than being the butt-kisser.

Thread Information