+ Reply to Thread
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Is George Mitchell independent enough?

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I just read about how Mitchell is a director of the Red Sox, and the chairman of Walt Disney - who owns ESPN. How has this been allowed to happen? What's to stop Mitchell from from calling out 10 Yankees and 2 Sox players? How can MLB think he's going to be totally impartial when his report could very well spell doom for ESPN (owned by Disney)?

This is another instance of Bud Selig knowing nothing about running a sport.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...102307.article

Re: Is George Mitchell independent enough?

Seriously! The next thing you know, baseball will be run by a commissioner who's nothing more than a lackey of the owners!

I agree with you. From what I know about Mitchell, I think he does have the integrity to be fair and impartial, and I think the rumors that he released (or allowed to be released) the Paul Byrd rumors are silly. Having said that, the potential for an appearance of impropriety is so great that Selig should have made another choice.
    "...it was blood, my blood, and it was coming from the sutures in my ankle. You’re either stupid or bitter if you think otherwise." --Curt Schilling on the Bloody Sock, 3/17/07

I posted on this in the thread that shall not be named, and I think there are a couple of points worth making here.

It's clear to me that Mitchell can't avoid at least the appearance of a conflict of interest, if not an outright conflict.

That being said, I think you want someone running this kind of investigation who's familiar with MLB. It's tough to do that and avoid all possible conflicts.

It's also worth noting that the commission isn't a one-man operation. You would also be hard-pressed to find a more distinguished Senator to head something like this.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Mitchell's going to be as fair and even-handed as he possibly can be. I would suggest we wait until the report comes out before speculating on his independence.

You know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by SalingerNY
    ...I think Mitchell's going to be as fair and even-handed as he possibly can be...
    I suspect that this is the case. But perhaps unfortunately, the *appearance* of conflict of interest is often just as bad as any actual conflict. Simply the appearance of a conflict undermines the credibility and authority of the commision and opens the door for appeals and complaints of bias.

Especially where the commision does not have any real power or authority, the notion that Mitchell might be have an interest in protecting the Red Sox or baseball owners in general weakens the whole purpose of the commission, which is to shed light on the dark places in baseball.
    Walter:I’ll get you a toe. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it.
    Dude:Walter...
    Walter:I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon, with nail polish.

Red Sox fan, not a troll

NYYF Legend

The very word INDEPENDENT excludes him. You can't be called independent or impartial if you are employed by a party under investigation, and since MLB is being investigated and last I heard, the Red Sox are part of MLB, I don't see how Mitchell could be appointed. He would not be an eligible juror in a case involving baseball. It's the perception of the fact, more than the fact itself, that reeks of a conflict of interest.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    The very word INDEPENDENT excludes him. You can't be called independent or impartial if you are employed by a party under investigation, and since MLB is being investigated and last I heard, the Red Sox are part of MLB, I don't see how Mitchell could be appointed. He would not be an eligible juror in a case involving baseball. It's the perception of the fact, more than the fact itself, that reeks of a conflict of interest.
    Very well stated...I agree 100%
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF HOF

If a few of the Rockies players names are "discovered" by a third city media outlet to be subject of investigation I think the question is answered.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain
    Very well stated...I agree 100%
    Me too...and i also agree with yep.

I can also sum up my response to the question as "HELL NO!"
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I just read about how Mitchell is a director of the Red Sox, and the chairman of Walt Disney - who owns ESPN. How has this been allowed to happen? What's to stop Mitchell from from calling out 10 Yankees and 2 Sox players? How can MLB think he's going to be totally impartial when his report could very well spell doom for ESPN (owned by Disney)?

This is another instance of Bud Selig knowing nothing about running a sport.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...102307.article
    So true. ugh. Selig really needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    So true. ugh. Selig really needs to go.
    Baseball owners should build a shrine for Selig. He's been that good at his job.

My team's in "transition". rogue588's Avatar

Well, Bob DuPuy was on M&tMD yesterday and he said that Mitchell will be totally impartial.

And I believe anything MLB tells me..
    [LEFT][RIGHT][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]"The spokesman, as far as i'm concerned, for the 2008 Yankees is Randy Levine.[/SIZE][/FONT]..[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]Your season will begin October 8, game 1 ALCS . You better get there or your head's on a swivel..." - Chris Russo[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/RIGHT]

[/LEFT]

Thread Information