+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

We were spoiled for a decade (realistic view on Baseball)

The last few years just goes to show you how tough it is to win the whole thing. Talent just gets you to the dance, but it's luck, a few breaks here and there, and a sprinkle of things going your way. We were blessed over the last 13 years. 13 straight post-season appearances, 6 AL Pennants, 4 World Series titles, and a ton of memories that we will reflect on later in life. I know it's hard to look at it this way at a point like this, but admire this team, this organization, and most of all ... this manager. We all question his moves ... heck every fan questions every managers moves at some point. But this team will go through a brick wall for this man, and that's more than half the battle. And for all the bad signings by Cashman (be it pushed by the Tampa brass or not), he has legitimately given stock to a team that was on the brink of crashing into the 1980's all over again. So I beg you, cherish this team, cherish this manager, and most of all cherish this organization.

NYYF Legend

Re: We were spoiled for a decade (realistic view on Baseball)

I've said this every season since 2000. The goal of winning world series every year is not realistic with the playoff formats. The main goal is to get to play in the post season, then hope you get more good pitching and timely hitting than your opponents. If the old Yankee teams of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle had to win 2 playoff series just to get to the WS, how many WS titles would we be celebrating now?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    I've said this every season since 2000. The goal of winning world series every year is not realistic with the playoff formats. The main goal is to get to play in the post season, then hope you get more good pitching and timely hitting than your opponents. If the old Yankee teams of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle had to win 2 playoff series just to get to the WS, how many WS titles would we be celebrating now?

amen to that....and that's why Joe Torre should be the manager of the Yankees next season.

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    That's true.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811
    amen to that....and that's why Joe Torre should be the manager of the Yankees next season.
    Agreed. If it's one thing I will admit (and I'm not a huge Joe fan), these players bust their FANNY for him more than most managers. That counts for a lot in my eye.

It is true that you can't expect to win a WS every year. But with the talent and payroll the Yankees have, you SHOULD expect better than 3 feeble 1st round exits in a row. If the Yankees in the past 3 years had, say, lost in the WS, lost an ALDS, and lost and ALCS it would be a different story.

NYYF Legend

Yes we were spoiled, and yes world series or bust is not a good attitude, but why do we suddenly stop playing come the post-season? It's at the point where I don't think we can win with this team

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274
    It is true that you can't expect to win a WS every year. But with the talent and payroll the Yankees have, you SHOULD expect better than 3 feeble 1st round exits in a row. If the Yankees in the past 3 years had, say, lost in the WS, lost an ALDS, and lost and ALCS it would be a different story.
    It's a crap shoot.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274
    There's no point to even bringing up payroll anymore. Look at the NLCS & some of the past World Series winners. The Florida Marlins & their 'whopping' payroll are the owners of two world championships in 7 years.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by CallOfTheCrow
    There's no point to even bringing up payroll anymore. Look at the NLCS & some of the past World Series winners. The Florida Marlins & their 'whopping' payroll are the owners of two world championships in 7 years.

1) Yankeees - 60 million
    2) Orioles - 55 million
    3) White Sox - 55 million
    4) Indians - 55 million
    5) Braves - 51 million
    6) Rangers - 51 million
    7) Marlins - 48 million
    8) Reds - 47 million
    9) Blue Jays - 46 million
    10) Cardinals - 45 million

Thank God someone started this thread. I've argued all season long, especially in the couple of weeks prior to the Playoffs that a year in which you win the Division or the Wild Card MUST be considered a success. I've been absolutely killed for it by people stating that anything but a ring is failure. That is just a load of horse manure and I'm glad there are some sane enough to see that. This team accomplished a lot of great things this season. Back in May, they were'nt making the Playoffs, now everyone is twisting this as some upset by Cleveland and the Yankees failing to take care of business again like they were some juggernaut this season. The truth of the matter is, the Indians are a better team when you factor in all aspects of the game. The results of this series, though disappointing, are no surprise. The better team won. That being said, I do think it's time for Torre to walk away. He has the chance to do it with some dignity and he deserves that.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbawm
    1) Yankeees - 60 million
    2) Orioles - 55 million
    3) White Sox - 55 million
    4) Indians - 55 million
    5) Braves - 51 million
    6) Rangers - 51 million
    7) Marlins - 48 million
    8) Reds - 47 million
    9) Blue Jays - 46 million
    10) Cardinals - 45 million
    Hey, it's still a low payroll all things considered.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by StatenIslandYankee
    But this team will go through a brick wall for this man, and that's more than half the battle. .
    I don't want them to go through a brick wall.

I want them to get through an ALDS.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

And we should continue to be, we have the highest payroll in baseball

NYYF Legend

No doubt about it, many yankee fans have been spoiled with the success over the past dozen years. Collectively, we all thought that by making the playoffs we would get to the WS and win it. This year we have to tip our hats to the Indians. Their pitching and timely hitting were just too much for the yanks to overcome. Firing Joe Torre will be a huge mistake because there is no one out there who could do the job that he has done. I wonder how many other managers could put up with the pressure that the Boss put him thru in the past dozen years and survive. NO ONE!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by StatenIslandYankee
    The last few years just goes to show you how tough it is to win the whole thing. Talent just gets you to the dance, but it's luck, a few breaks here and there, and a sprinkle of things going your way. We were blessed over the last 13 years. 13 straight post-season appearances, 6 AL Pennants, 4 World Series titles, and a ton of memories that we will reflect on later in life. I know it's hard to look at it this way at a point like this, but admire this team, this organization, and most of all ... this manager. We all question his moves ... heck every fan questions every managers moves at some point. But this team will go through a brick wall for this man, and that's more than half the battle. And for all the bad signings by Cashman (be it pushed by the Tampa brass or not), he has legitimately given stock to a team that was on the brink of crashing into the 1980's all over again. So I beg you, cherish this team, cherish this manager, and most of all cherish this organization.
    I love the team, but the way they got beaten didn't sit well. I'd feel a lot better if we could have just advanced one round.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

NYYF Legend

Here's all you need to know about why the Yankees are 4-13 in their past 17 postseason games: In that stretch their starting pitchers are 2-8 with a 6.36 ERA while averaging 4 2/3 innings per start. Two wins from starting pitchers in 17 games, none in which they completed seven innings. The lack of pitchers who can give them length or the ability to strike out batters -- they averaged 5.9 strikeouts per nine innings -- has killed New York more than anything else.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...uts/index.html
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24
    that is entirely 100% accurate and is exactly why i'm looking forward to next season.

chamberlain, hughes and kennedy say hi.

NYYF HOF

As an older fan, i never get tired of the Yankees playing October baseball. We lived through the times when they were done in August. The closing remarks by Sterling and Waldeman almost had me in tears because they realize that they covered the Yankees in what would be known as one of the best stretches in the history of the
    most storied franchise in professional sports and it might very well be over.

I strongly believe that the Yankees have been living on borrowed time the past few years because they were able to get fundamentally flawed teams to the postseason. That didn't happen by accident, it started with Joe and trickled down to the players. They would go through a brick wall for him because he did that for them every season. He took the heat from the boss, the crap from the media and all the second guessing in stride and almost never threw his guys under a bus. (at least i can't remember a time)
    The team would not had succeeded without his leadership. Not very many people remember but Torre was on an extremely short leash even before the 1996 season started because the heat that Boss took for canning Showalter. He took it all in stride and epitomized the manager that most teams and fans would die to have.

He will be missed, especially when we're complaining about the season being over by Labor Day.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one
    No doubt about it, many yankee fans have been spoiled with the success over the past dozen years. Collectively, we all thought that by making the playoffs we would get to the WS and win it. This year we have to tip our hats to the Indians. Their pitching and timely hitting were just too much for the yanks to overcome. Firing Joe Torre will be a huge mistake because there is no one out there who could do the job that he has done. I wonder how many other managers could put up with the pressure that the Boss put him thru in the past dozen years and survive. NO ONE!
    I agree, we should keep Joe.

28 in '12

Absolutely ridiculous.

When A-Rod wants to renegotiate, let's play Florida Marlin on him and see how that plays out. Let's see if that has any effect on the team.

Do you think if we lost A-Rod we would be worse for it?

Do we think losing A-Rod would give us less of a chance for postseason success?
    Che Rodriguez - Freedom Fighter

NYYF Cy Young

I'd love to see the payroll come down to lower numbers, I mean we can still be the highest payroll but does it really have to be 30% higher than the 2nd highest?
    " I used to be confused... but now I just don't know..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasties R Forever
    Absolutely ridiculous.

When A-Rod wants to renegotiate, let's play Florida Marlin on him and see how that plays out. Let's see if that has any effect on the team.

Do you think if we lost A-Rod we would be worse for it?

Do we think losing A-Rod would give us less of a chance for postseason success?
    i'd loooove to keep the best player in the majors on this team.

Hey, it's still a low payroll all things considered.
    No, it's a high payroll all things considered.

The seventh highest as a matter of fact. Look at it again.
    Che Rodriguez - Freedom Fighter

Yes..we are very spoiled.

Forget the payroll, ball games are not played in the bank or around ATM's. These guys are human beings that are prone to slumps and other things in life that can change regular performance.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Thread Information