+ Reply to Thread
Page 473 of 632 FirstFirst ... 373 423 463 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 483 523 573 ... LastLast
Results 11,801 to 11,825 of 15788

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

So nobody else saw The Raid: Redemption? If you haven't, and you like action movies, you have to see it. That was probably the most epic movie-going experience I've had since Avatar (though, admittedly, for different reasons).

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I had the same confusion. Someone explained to me that on the ship he could control himself, too, but he was extremely pissed about it being used to create weapons, so he kind of lost control in the way that a normal person with anger management issues might lose control when they get pissed. I think that's essentially what they were telling me, anyway, and I suppose it's as good an explanation as any.

I also agree with you about Ruffalo as Banner. Much better than Ed Norton in the most recent Hulk movie.
    I read that Wheadon's original cut was 3 hours and will probably be released on BluRay and there's a lot of Hulk stuff that didn't make it to the final film. You could tell there were some holes, for instance when they're all arguing and all of a sudden Bruce is holding Loki's staff. I think Loki's plan was to get caught and whatever the blue thing in that staff (some say it's part of the Infinity Gauntlet) causes people to be agitated; which Loki wanted to have them fight each other.

I really loved Hulk just sucker punching Thor after they work together in Stark Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    So nobody else saw The Raid: Redemption? If you haven't, and you like action movies, you have to see it. That was probably the most epic movie-going experience I've had since Avatar (though, admittedly, for different reasons).
    I would like to see it, but it's still not playing anywhere around here. I want to see it, but I don't want to see it enough to trek over to the City for it. I'm hoping it plays in some more locations. I'm probably going to have to wait for TV or Netflix.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

I would like to see it, but it's still not playing anywhere around here. I want to see it, but I don't want to see it enough to trek over to the City for it. I'm hoping it plays in some more locations. I'm probably going to have to wait for TV or Netflix.
    Read back the above.

This is why your movie reviews are 17 paragraphs long.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Stupid question, but now that all movies are "digital" does that mean the theaters basically get flash drives with the movie file on a hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Read back the above.

This is why your movie reviews are 17 paragraphs long.
    6 paragraphs long. Around 6 paragraphs. Sometimes maybe a little more or less, but around six. Sixish.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I live in Boston, so it was a short train ride to go see it for us. Let me tell you, this is a movie that you want to see in a theater. The crowd interaction was amazing. I hope it gets a wider release, because it's something that people really should see.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Stupid question, but now that all movies are "digital" does that mean the theaters basically get flash drives with the movie file on a hard drive?
    No. They get hard drives with encrypted content. Then they get electronic keys that decrypt the content and allow playback only on specific servers. The keys can be sent to the theaters in a number of ways (modem, USB sticks, email, etc.).

Eventually, some places may receive content via satellite or fiber optic rather than hard drive.

6 paragraphs long. Around 6 paragraphs. Sometimes maybe a little more or less, but around six. Sixish.
    tl;dr
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I watched Get The Gringo last night. Mel Gibson movie. Pretty good.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Finally got a chance to go see Avengers....awesome!!

Bit bummed they werent showing it at the IMAX by me...instead Wrath of the Titans is still there and they are showing the Johnny Depp movie Dark Shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

NYYF Legend

Saw the Avengers in IMAX 3D. It says in the imdb trivia that it was adapted for 3d after shooting, so no stereoscopic camera here or anything. The 3D was still pretty good, as opposed to the preview for Amazing Spiderman, where the 3D looked absolutely terrible. You couldn't pay me to see that movie in 3D.

Prometheus on the other hand, sign me up, the 3D in that preview looked incredible -- closer to Avatar.

Anyway, Avengers was awesome, but I'm kind of annoyed I sat alllll the way through to the very, very end of the credits for that little chuckle...damn you Robert Downey Jr.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    That movie was amazing, saw it a few weeks back. Still the best movie of the year for me.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    Prometheus on the other hand, sign me up, the 3D in that preview looked incredible -- closer to Avatar.
    Can't wait for that one. Probably my most anticipated movie of the the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    Saw the Avengers in IMAX 3D. It says in the imdb trivia that it was adapted for 3d after shooting, so no stereoscopic camera here or anything. The 3D was still pretty good, as opposed to the preview for Amazing Spiderman, where the 3D looked absolutely terrible. You couldn't pay me to see that movie in 3D.

Anyway, Avengers was awesome, but I'm kind of annoyed I sat alllll the way through to the very, very end of the credits for that little chuckle...damn you Robert Downey Jr.

the Amazing Spiderman was actually filmed in 3D. im not sure you can base how it will really look off of trailers but i thought it was way to too busy
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Apparently the 3D in Ang Lee / 20th Century Fox upcoming picture 'Life of Pi' is going to be amazing. In regards to Avengers - it was good. Sign me up for Prometheous.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...scar-talk.html

^ Look at that still - it's all CG, aside from the actor. Incredible what movies can do now.

NYYF Legend

Non-spoiler questions for you about The Avengers: At some points, did you see ghosts instead of 3D effects?

I watched it in Dolby 3D (as opposed to IMAX, Real D, Master Image, or XpanD) and noticed that Dolby was brighter than the other 3D systems (no surprise there since they separate the images by color rather than polarization) but there were several instances where ghosts (double images) showed up.

They usually appeared in sequences with lots of movement -- which can be hard to render in 3D -- but I wondered if folks seeing the movie in other 3D types noticed ghosts.

Non-spoiler review: enjoyable movie but I really could have lived without the last 40 minutes. As expected. :-)

I watched Kevin Smith's "Red State" last night. Wow what an odd movie from him. Definitely enjoyed it. Strange story, some messed up stuff but his typical dialogue driven scenes were included. I need to watch it again, I don't think I fully got the impact of the movie. Overall though, I do recommend it.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Non-spoiler questions for you about The Avengers: At some points, did you see ghosts instead of 3D effects?

I watched it in Dolby 3D (as opposed to IMAX, Real D, Master Image, or XpanD) and noticed that Dolby was brighter than the other 3D systems (no surprise there since they separate the images by color rather than polarization) but there were several instances where ghosts (double images) showed up.

They usually appeared in sequences with lots of movement -- which can be hard to render in 3D -- but I wondered if folks seeing the movie in other 3D types noticed ghosts.

Non-spoiler review: enjoyable movie but I really could have lived without the last 40 minutes. As expected. :-)
    About the last 40 minutes...is it the fact that the finale was another SFX heavy fight that went on for 40 mintues or are you upset that it was NYC that was the setting? If the latter, is it because you're tired of filmmakers using NYC as a battleground because it's been overdone and cliche or because it personally upsets you after 9/11?

NYC has been destroyed in countless movies and it's the go to scene when you want to talk about destroying a city in film, but to me that's because it's the most important city in the country so if aliens were to attack, why wouldn't they go to NY? Plus for the Avengers, they're firmly rooted in New York for the past 50 years of the comic.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Avengers now at #17 all-time for US box office receipts, and should easily move into the Top 10 this week.

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

Including world-wide box office receipts, the film is now #10 all-time

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltim...ion=world-wide

(not updated to show $1,002,000,000 for Avengers). http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...ide-video.html

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol last night with the wife. It's just a fun action movie, although as expected it wasn't as jaw dropping as it was in Imax. However my wife was still on the edge of her seat during the Dubai scenes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    About the last 40 minutes...is it the fact that the finale was another SFX heavy fight that went on for 40 mintues or are you upset that it was NYC that was the setting? If the latter, is it because you're tired of filmmakers using NYC as a battleground because it's been overdone and cliche or because it personally upsets you after 9/11?
    Yes.

And it was mostly CGI. No super-cool stunt(s).

I did not notice the ghost thing you're talking about in IMAX 3D.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Yes.

And it was mostly CGI. No super-cool stunt(s).
    It was way more well done than Transformers 3 which was essentially the same finale set piece only in Chicago for a change. Avengers was clearly shot, you could tell who was doing what, what trouble they were in etc. Yes, the alien invaders were faceless CGI creatures just there to be beat up, but it was still wonderfully shot - especially that long take that panned the entire battle showing what every character was up to at that moment.

I did not notice the ghost thing you're talking about in IMAX 3D.
    Did the people around you notice the non-corporeal entity in your seat?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information