+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 632 FirstFirst ... 372 422 462 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 482 522 572 ... LastLast
Results 11,776 to 11,800 of 15788
  1. #11776
    Boycott BP NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    January Jones was in it. It can't have better acting. (I also thought the writing was excellent in Avengers. Campy, but effectively so)
    She also on Mad Men and no one will say that show is not well-acted.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  2. #11777
    NYYF Cy Young

    BobLoblaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NH

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    She also on Mad Men and no one will say that show is not well-acted.
    No, but everyone says she is the weakest one on the show.

    I think people are a bit too hard on her, she's not great but she's not that bad either.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

  3. #11778
    Boycott BP NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    She is the worst on the show but she has had some very good moments like when Don finally told her who he really is.

  4. #11779
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Yankeesfan924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gainesville/South Florida

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Watching The House of Steinbrenner onDemand, all about the opening of the new Stadium. It's good so far.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

  5. #11780
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    No, but everyone says she is the weakest one on the show.

    I think people are a bit too hard on her, she's not great but she's not that bad either.
    I think she's good in that role because based on everything I've read about her, January Jones is pretty much just like Betty Draper.

  6. #11781

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    I watched "Paul" last night, it was fun.

    I was totally played by Jason Bateman secretly being in cahoots with Paul!!!! Did not see that coming...nor did I recognize Sigourney Weaver's voice.
    Last edited by xenadanielle; 05-08-12 at 04:00 PM.

  7. #11782
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I watched "Paul" last night, it was fun. I was totally played by Jason Bateman secretly being in cahoots with Paul!!!! Did not see that coming...nor did I recognize Sigourney Weaver's voice.



    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  8. #11783

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Did anyone else see The Raid: Redemption?

  9. #11784

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    She also on Mad Men and no one will say that show is not well-acted.
    It's a fairly well acted show, but Jon Hamm is the only stand out IMO. Beyond that, it's all on the writing, not the acting. None of the main cast are particularly bad, but outside of Hamm, none are anything special either.

  10. #11785

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    It's a fairly well acted show, but Jon Hamm is the only stand out IMO. Beyond that, it's all on the writing, not the acting. None of the main cast are particularly bad, but outside of Hamm, none are anything special either.
    Disagree 100%. John Slattery is fantastic. Roger Sterling is one of the greatest TV characters ever.

  11. #11786

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post

    Ha ha oops...well in my defense it's not a new movie.

  12. #11787

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Disagree 100%. John Slattery is fantastic. Roger Sterling is one of the greatest TV characters ever.
    The character is very well written, but I don't think Slattery is all that great in the role. Not bad, either. He does a solid job.

  13. #11788
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    I saw The Avengers and was pretty pleasantly surprised. When a comic book/superhero movie has people going nuts over it, I tend to be skeptical, as several of those movies have been just okay or even pretty poor (Captain America) for me. I tend to try to keep my expectations tempered when hype is high as it is, but that's even more the case with superhero movies.

    With that being said, I don't think the hype was far off on this one. I think the people calling it one of the best movies ever are going way overboard, but I think that it's the best Marvel superhero based movie I've seen to date, and when it comes to pure entertainment/popcorn flicks, you can't do too much better than this one. I think that given the possible pitfalls of a movie like this (too much going on, too many significant characters), it was about as good as a movie of this nature could be, which, it turns out, is pretty damn good.

    As I said, I think the biggest challenges for a movie like this (other than just living up to the hype) are balancing the characters and keeping action sequences coherent. On the first point, what I mean is that when you have so many main characters (in this case, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Loki, and Nick Fury all need significant screen time and stuff to do), it can be easily to make several of the characters useless or concentrate too heavily on one and make it seem like it's just a movie about that character with the other characters around. I think this can especially be the case in big ensemble action movies. I think The Avengers did a pretty inspired job in that regard, as you didn't have characters disappearing for extended periods, and it seemed like everyone was always doing something important and was critical to the success of the group.

    When it comes to coherence, again, I think this was a great success. On the surface, the final battle has a lot of similarities to the city battle scenes in a movie like Transformers, but the difference here is that you can tell who's doing what, why, who's winning, when they're having troubles and what those troubles are, etc. Allowing you to effortlessly keep track of what six different heroes and a villain are all during an extended scene where stuff is flying all over the place and exploding and stuff is far more difficult than Whedon makes it look in this movie, I'd imagine.

    The movie feels a lot shorter than it is, and it doesn't really feel like any time is wasted. In addition, I ended up seeing it in IMAX 3D, and while I can't compare it to the 2D or to non-IMAX (when it comes to the sound or whatever), I'm pretty glad I did both. I don't think it would have lost that much visually in 2D, but I think it was definitely enhanced at times in 3D, and having not ever seen a real movie in IMAX before, I was pretty impressed by the surround sound, which was noticeably better than on other screens. That definitely added to it.

    I didn't see Thor, but of the others, the only movie in the recent Avengers series that is even in the same league as this one is the first Iron Man, and I definitely preferred this. Definite recommendation if you've ever liked a superhero movie.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  14. #11789

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    Disagree 100%. John Slattery is fantastic. Roger Sterling is one of the greatest TV characters ever.
    I think Peggy is well acted also.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  15. #11790
    Boycott BP NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I think Peggy is well acted also.
    The acting on Mad Men is all top notch, except for January Jones and she is barely even on anymore.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  16. #11791
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    RE: January Jones. Look, no one's ever going to confuse her acting ability with Meryl Streep's, but I thought she was just perfect as Emma Frost in X-Men First Class. Very good casting.

    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I pretty much love anything that Joss Whedon touches but I heard that they basically trash Grand Central Station in The
    Avengers. I can't handle the destruction of NY landmarks. I'm pretty
    disappointed that Whedon opted for that. I figure I'm going to spend the last
    half hour of The Avengers staring at my shoes, waiting for the heroes to win the
    day.
    I meant to comment on this yesterday. What you mention in the spoilered part of your post is unfortunately true in Avengers and it bothers me also. I think it happens too often and in too many films.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I didn't see Thor, but of the others, the only movie in the recent Avengers series that is even in the same league as this one is the first Iron Man, and I definitely preferred this. Definite recommendation if you've ever liked a superhero movie.
    Rent Thor when you get the chance. I liked it a lot; much better than Captain America. A friend of mine who has never seen a superhero movie was intrigued by the fact that no one seems to have a bad word to say about Avengers and wanted to know which of the Marvel movies she should see in anticipation of seeing Avengers. I suggested Thor because it sets up the Loki storyline well giving info that helps understand his power quest a little better. IMO, he's a more interesting villain when you've got his full backstory.

  17. #11792
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    Ha ha oops...well in my defense it's not a new movie.

    Well...it was new to you.

    And it gave me a chance to throw a Doctor Who reference into the thread.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  18. #11793
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Well, Disney certainly didn't waste any time confirming an Avengers sequel:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...224900761.html
    Disney's Bob Iger has answered every fanboy and fangirl's biggest wish, today confirming plans for an "Avengers" sequel.
    And if that wasn't enough, the Disney CEO had even more exciting news. Here's what he had to say (during a conference call with analysts, mind you):
    "Marvel's The Avengers" shattered U.S. box office records with $207.1 million in its opening weekend.
    It has brought in more than $702 million globally to date.
    Some Disney theme parks are making room for "Avengers"-based attractions.

    Iger also repeated previous anouncemnts made by Marvel Studios:
    The third "Iron Man" is scheduled for 2013.
    "Thor" numero dos is also on the slate for 2013.
    A "Captain America" sequel should happen in 2014.

    While we now know there is, in fact, an "Avengers" sequel in the works, Iger did not disclose a date for it. (Though Reelz.com has speculated it could very well be May 16, 2014, as the studio has already reserved that release date.)

  19. #11794

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I think Peggy is well acted also.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  20. #11795
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Avengers now at #86 all-time for US box office receipts.

    http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

    Including world-wide box office receipts, the film is now #46 all-time

    http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltim...ion=world-wide

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  21. #11796

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Well, Disney certainly didn't waste any time confirming an Avengers sequel:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...224900761.html
    I heard from a "cast member" (obviously low on the totem pole, but interesting nonetheless) that, when Universals contract with Marvel ends, Disney World is planning on building an entire Marvel theme park. Which would be awesome, obviously.

  22. #11797
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I saw The Avengers and was pretty pleasantly surprised. When a comic book/superhero movie has people going nuts over it, I tend to be skeptical, as several of those movies have been just okay or even pretty poor (Captain America) for me. I tend to try to keep my expectations tempered when hype is high as it is, but that's even more the case with superhero movies.

    With that being said, I don't think the hype was far off on this one. I think the people calling it one of the best movies ever are going way overboard, but I think that it's the best Marvel superhero based movie I've seen to date, and when it comes to pure entertainment/popcorn flicks, you can't do too much better than this one. I think that given the possible pitfalls of a movie like this (too much going on, too many significant characters), it was about as good as a movie of this nature could be, which, it turns out, is pretty damn good.

    As I said, I think the biggest challenges for a movie like this (other than just living up to the hype) are balancing the characters and keeping action sequences coherent. On the first point, what I mean is that when you have so many main characters (in this case, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Loki, and Nick Fury all need significant screen time and stuff to do), it can be easily to make several of the characters useless or concentrate too heavily on one and make it seem like it's just a movie about that character with the other characters around. I think this can especially be the case in big ensemble action movies. I think The Avengers did a pretty inspired job in that regard, as you didn't have characters disappearing for extended periods, and it seemed like everyone was always doing something important and was critical to the success of the group.

    When it comes to coherence, again, I think this was a great success. On the surface, the final battle has a lot of similarities to the city battle scenes in a movie like Transformers, but the difference here is that you can tell who's doing what, why, who's winning, when they're having troubles and what those troubles are, etc. Allowing you to effortlessly keep track of what six different heroes and a villain are all during an extended scene where stuff is flying all over the place and exploding and stuff is far more difficult than Whedon makes it look in this movie, I'd imagine.

    The movie feels a lot shorter than it is, and it doesn't really feel like any time is wasted. In addition, I ended up seeing it in IMAX 3D, and while I can't compare it to the 2D or to non-IMAX (when it comes to the sound or whatever), I'm pretty glad I did both. I don't think it would have lost that much visually in 2D, but I think it was definitely enhanced at times in 3D, and having not ever seen a real movie in IMAX before, I was pretty impressed by the surround sound, which was noticeably better than on other screens. That definitely added to it.

    I didn't see Thor, but of the others, the only movie in the recent Avengers series that is even in the same league as this one is the first Iron Man, and I definitely preferred this. Definite recommendation if you've ever liked a superhero movie.
    I went last night as well, but in regular 2D screen. I may go back to see it in Imax. Your review hit all the high notes for me and you wrote much better than I would have trying to say the same thing.

    The film was wonderfully shot - with the highlight being the single shot that panned the entire battle showing all 6 Avengers and Loki. Great direction there by Wheadon.

    The only complaint I have, and maybe someone can explain it is when Bruce turns to the Hulk on the ship it's pandemonium and chaos, but when he turns in NY suddenly he's "tame" and can be reasoned with (CA telling him to "smash")? I don't get that

    The two standouts were Robert Downy Jr. who once again owned the part of Tony Stark, and Mark Ruffalo who I felt was far and away the best Bruce Banner yet. The scenes of him talking about "the other guy" were awesome. This film really showed the best Hulk stuff ever. I didn't like the previous Hulk movies mainly because I don't want to see the Hulk, a "hero" always fighting our military. Makes no sense to me. Plus, he's just not that compelling a character to build an entire movie around.

  23. #11798

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    The two standouts were Robert Downy Jr. who once again owned the part of Tony Stark, and Mark Ruffalo who I felt was far and away the best Bruce Banner yet. The scenes of him talking about "the other guy" were awesome. This film really showed the best Hulk stuff ever. I didn't like the previous Hulk movies mainly because I don't want to see the Hulk, a "hero" always fighting our military. Makes no sense to me. Plus, he's just not that compelling a character to build an entire movie around.
    I thought Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki, too.

  24. #11799
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I thought Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki, too.
    He was definetly better here than in the Thor movie, but really it's not difficult to play a comic movie god like super villain.

  25. #11800
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

    The only complaint I have, and maybe someone can explain it is when Bruce turns to the Hulk on the ship it's pandemonium and chaos, but when he turns in NY suddenly he's "tame" and can be reasoned with (CA telling him to "smash")? I don't get that
    I had the same confusion. Someone explained to me that on the ship he could control himself, too, but he was extremely pissed about it being used to create weapons, so he kind of lost control in the way that a normal person with anger management issues might lose control when they get pissed. I think that's essentially what they were telling me, anyway, and I suppose it's as good an explanation as any.

    I also agree with you about Ruffalo as Banner. Much better than Ed Norton in the most recent Hulk movie.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts