+ Reply to Thread
Page 413 of 632 FirstFirst ... 313 363 403 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 423 463 513 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,325 of 15788

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    Going to see Contagion tonight. From this day on I'm sure I'll freak when someone sneezes near me.
    How was it? I really would like to see it. Looks decent.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    Going to see Contagion tonight. From this day on I'm sure I'll freak when someone sneezes near me.
    Wash your hands before you go.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Wash your hands before you go.
    After the movie no one in the ladies room wanted to touch anything. It was rather amusing.
    That was one sick virus. Amazing just how connected our planet it. Anybody who has a touch of hypochondria should not go see this movie! Not an Oscar worthy movie but worth going to see.
    I went with someone who does oncology research in a lab so it was interesting conversation after the movie about fact vs. fiction.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

NYYF Legend

The science underlying Contagion was accurate and the scenarios plausible, but I thought it was basically just another star laden disaster movie.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    The science underlying Contagion was accurate and the scenarios plausible, but I thought it was basically just another star laden disaster movie.
    Who plays the Dustin Hoffman, Rene Russo, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Spacey roles?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I watched "Hereafter" on HBO last night. It was one of those films I was interested in seeing when it was in theaters. While it was moving, I was a little disapppointed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Who plays the Dustin Hoffman, Rene Russo, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Spacey roles?
    Well you have Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, and Marion Cottilard to name a few of the marquee names, although IIRC Outbreak was more about the military and Contagion focused on efforts of the CDC, WHO etc. I don't rememeber much about Outbreak but I think Contagion was more reality based.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

If anyone is into the virus thing, I recommend a non-fiction book called The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    If anyone is into the virus thing, I recommend a non-fiction book called The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.
    Excellent book.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

I saw Super 8 in the dollar theater. It was fine, but I feel like if you've watched Spielberg and Abrams productions in the past, this won't give you anything you haven't seen from them before.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    As best as I can recall another studio was going to make The Hot Zone into a movie and whatever studio made Outbreak beat them into production with their quasi-version of The Hot Zone. There was a big tiff over it but ultimately the other studio threw in the towel and never made their movie. Or something like that.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Just saw Touchback. It's not gonna win any Oscars, but it was pretty good. If you have time to kill, I'd highly recommend.

NYYF MVP

Saw Drive last night...

Definitely more of an atmospheric indie-drama than the action flick the trailers make it out to be, and not everyone will like it, but I thought it was very good overall.

Ryan Gosling, Albert Brooks and Brian Cranston (as usual) all had very strong performances, and the opening heist/getaway is the best I've seen since The Dark Knight.

Worth seeing if you're not expecting a Transporter or Fast & Furious clone.
    28 in 2014

NYYF Legend

Preemptively, will Real Steel be the worst movie of all time?

On the plus side, it has one of the worst trailers I've ever seen, possibly the worst premise I've ever heard of for a PG-13 or higher rated movie, and an Anakin-Phanton Menance style kid that looks insanely annoying. On the negative side, Hugh Jackman has occasionally been in ok movies before, and boxing is entertaining to a lot of people

I havent spent the 4 seconds of effort it would take to find out if the movie is in 3D yet, but that could put it over the top as the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Preemptively, will Real Steel be the worst movie of all time?

On the plus side, it has one of the worst trailers I've ever seen, possibly the worst premise I've ever heard of for a PG-13 or higher rated movie, and an Anakin-Phanton Menance style kid that looks insanely annoying. On the negative side, Hugh Jackman has occasionally been in ok movies before, and boxing is entertaining to a lot of people

I havent spent the 4 seconds of effort it would take to find out if the movie is in 3D yet, but that could put it over the top as the worst
    I'd be surprised if it's the worst movie of October/November. Jack and Jill looks pretty godawful.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I'd be surprised if it's the worst movie of October/November. Jack and Jill looks pretty godawful.
    I don't think either is going to touch Bucky Larson: Born to Be A Star, which did something i've never seen for a major hollywood release: get a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I saw Drive as well and thought it was great. No cheesy one-liners, and the vivid and sporadic nature of the violence was so effective, it really made you jump at points.

NYYF HOF

Looking forward to checking out Take Shelter next week. Big fan of Michael Shannon and it looks like he really brings it in this role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5U4TtYpKIc

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    I don't think either is going to touch Bucky Larson: Born to Be A Star, which did something i've never seen for a major hollywood release: get a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Pretty good breakdown of just how bad this movie is.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...n-to-be-a-star

Going to see Moneyball on Friday. Can't wait!

NYYF Legend

The non-baseball fan secretary in my office saw a screening of Moneyball last night and she said it was "amazing".

I'll probably see Moneyball, but it should have been made 6 years ago when the A's were still relevant. History has shown that Beane's tactics don't really work. This looks like just a cash grab after the success of The Blind Side (same author).

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    I'm not sure if it's ever happened until now, but Abduction also has a 0%, so they could be making history together.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I'll probably see Moneyball, but it should have been made 6 years ago when the A's were still relevant. History has shown that Beane's tactics don't really work. This looks like just a cash grab after the success of The Blind Side (same author).
    I don't know about that.... I think they do work. I just think the other teams are using the same techniques, only with a bankroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I don't know about that.... I think they do work. I just think the other teams are using the same techniques, only with a bankroll.
    Good point, but even at the height of the A's success when Moneyball came out (IIRC it covers the 98 draft and goes through the 01 season - Swisher is a big part of the book) they never even won a playoff series. Now the argument can be made that playoffs are more chance than skill, and they had the misfortune of always facing the Yankees who were on one of the best 5 year runs in baseball history, but they still never won.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Good point, but even at the height of the A's success when Moneyball came out (IIRC it covers the 98 draft and goes through the 01 season - Swisher is a big part of the book) they never even won a playoff series. Now the argument can be made that playoffs are more chance than skill, and they had the misfortune of always facing the Yankees who were on one of the best 5 year runs in baseball history, but they still never won.
    Oh I agree. It's not the "answer" to winning but it sure as hell changed a team with no money and virtually no chance to compete to a force to be reckoned with. the fact that they made the playoffs at all was impressive in itself. Then again, at the time, the division was also a bit easier to compete in.

Thread Information