+ Reply to Thread
Page 489 of 632 FirstFirst ... 389 439 479 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 499 539 589 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,225 of 15788

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

I can't wait to see Will Ferrell's new movie "The Campaign".
    Boo for trading Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    blah blah blah.

Yes sir. Quit with the nostalgia bullsh!t, will ya? People can be as funny now as the funniest people 20 years ago. Or 40 years ago. No reason a current comedian cannot be compared to past ones. Will Ferrell has made me laugh every bit as much as Steve Martin has. Which is a lot. I laugh at nearly everything they both do or say.
    Nostalgia? 20 years ago I was 7 and I don't think I was really even aware who Bill Murray or Steve Martin were. I might have seen them, but I wasn't really aware of them. It has nothing to do with nostalgia (I think it's fairly hard to be nostalgic for things you weren't aware of as a kid or weren't alive for), it has to do with being funny. Ferrell is a pretty funny guy. Murray and Martin are on an entirely different level.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    The coolest thing about Bill Murray is he has no manager or publicists or anything like that. He has an 800 number and if you want him for something you leave a message and if he's interested he calls you back. That's it.
    There are also tons of stories out there about how he'll just show up at a random party or something despite not knowing anyone there (and without there being anyone famous there.) He seems to definitely march to the beat of a different drummer.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Nostalgia? 20 years ago I was 7 and I don't think I was really even aware who Bill Murray or Steve Martin were. I might have seen them, but I wasn't really aware of them. It has nothing to do with nostalgia (I think it's fairly hard to be nostalgic for things you weren't aware of as a kid or weren't alive for), it has to do with being funny. Ferrell is a pretty funny guy. Murray and Martin are on an entirely different level.
    How so?
    Boo for trading Prado.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

How so?
    I think Ferrell is usually at his funniest when he's not trying too hard, but unfortunately I think he tries too hard too often. Over the top like comedy can certainly be funny, but I think it loses a lot when the effort to be funny is blatant. Ferrell, I think, gives the impression of "I'M TRYING TO BE FUNNY" too often. I mean, nowhere near as often as a hack like Daniel Tosh or someone , but it is evident too often. He's a lot more hit or miss. Also, his funniest is not nearly as funny as the other two at their funniest.

With Murray, the comedy almost always seems effortless, and he delivers a one liner better than almost anyone. Martin's a good example of over the top being funny. He's over the top, but the over the top smugness of his persona just oozes out of him and is delivered so well that it's hilarious.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I disagree. Will can be sitting down eating soup and I'll laugh my ass off. His facial expressions, tone, and anything he says cracks me up.
    Boo for trading Prado.

I disagree. Will can be sitting down eating soup and I'll laugh my ass off. His facial expressions, tone, and anything he says cracks me up.
    Fair enough. If you like something, you like it. You're certainly not alone.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

I can't wait to see Will Ferrell's new movie "The Campaign".
    Zach Galifianakis' character looks quite promising.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Zach Galifianakis' character looks quite promising.
    Probably not as good as "Between Two Ferns," though.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

I don't understand the Will Ferrell hate. He really is hysterical.
    I agree, he always makes me laugh.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    i think that goes without saying.

The best talk show ever.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    The coolest thing about Bill Murray is he has no manager or publicists or anything like that. He has an 800 number and if you want him for something you leave a message and if he's interested he calls you back. That's it.
    On Stern this week, it's a repeat of SNL Guests over the years. He asks a lot of the guests how they got along with Bill Murray and none of them ever seem to know. They say they don't really like him and they don't get along but they can't explain why.

The fued/fight between Chevy Chase and Murray is hysterical (as told by Chase).

He does his own thing. Not much wrong with that.
    Pardon, for us.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    On Stern this week, it's a repeat of SNL Guests over the years. He asks a lot of the guests how they got along with Bill Murray and none of them ever seem to know. They say they don't really like him and they don't get along but they can't explain why.

The fued/fight between Chevy Chase and Murray is hysterical (as told by Chase).

He does his own thing. Not much wrong with that.
    This special is the best one that they have on the Howard channels, IMO. I loved it last time they played it and I'm getting to hear different bits this time around. It's great!
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    This special is the best one that they have on the Howard channels, IMO. I loved it last time they played it and I'm getting to hear different bits this time around. It's great!
    With a 15 to 18 hour a week commute, I get to hear most of it. A lot I heard last time, but some things I missed I was able to catch this week.

Harry Shearer's explanation of why SNL was a success (coupled with his hatred of Michaels and Ebersole) was very interesting.

Hearing a younger Conan O'Brien turn the tables on a Stuttering John interview was way cool.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

In continuing with my new found interest in Marvel Comics I watched The Hulk last night. Thor is scheduled over the weekend.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    In continuing with my new found interest in Marvel Comics I watched The Hulk last night. Thor is scheduled over the weekend.
    Did you like The Hulk? I didn't think very much of that one at all.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Which version?
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

I thought Bill Bixby was pretty good, but I never understood why they felt the need to change his name to David Banner.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Which version?
    The most recent one, which is what I figured she was talking about.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

The most recent one, which is what I figured she was talking about.
    I didn't love it, but it was a significant improvement over the Ang Lee / Eric Bana version
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Muggs - I watched A Face in the Crowd last night. It goes a bit over the top towards the end, but it's really a damn fine film, and Griffith is terrific. A good ol' country boy, but a long way from Sheriff Andy Taylor. The whole cast was first-rate, especially Patricia Neal, but also Matthau (from Tennessee? Really?), Tony Franciosa and Lee Remick. Well worth seeing, especially to see Griffith playing against type.
    - Barry Manilow

Muggs - I watched A Face in the Crowd last night. It goes a bit over the top towards the end, but it's really a damn fine film, and Griffith is terrific. A good ol' country boy, but a long way from Sheriff Andy Taylor. The whole cast was first-rate, especially Patricia Neal, but also Matthau (from Tennessee? Really?), Tony Franciosa and Lee Remick. Well worth seeing, especially to see Griffith playing against type.
    The best part of the movie was Walter Matthau's exit speech. (and how beautiful was Lee Remick?)
    Lonesome Rhodes: Listen, I'm not through yet. You know what's gonna to happen to me?
    Mel Miller: Suppose I tell you exactly what's gonna happen to you. You're gonna be back in television. Only it won't be quite the same as it was before. There'll be a reasonable cooling-off period and then somebody will say: "Why don't we try him again in a inexpensive format. People's memories aren't too long." And you know, in a way, he'll be right. Some of the people will forget, and some of them won't. Oh, you'll have a show. Maybe not the best hour or, you know, top 10. Maybe not even in the top 35. But you'll have a show. It just won't be quite the same as it was before. Then a couple of new fellas will come along. And pretty soon, a lot of your fans will be flocking around them. And then one day, somebody'll ask: "Whatever happened to, a, whatshisname? You know, the one who was so big. The number-one fella a couple of years ago. He was famous. How can we forget a name like that? Oh by the way, have you seen, a, Barry Mills? I think he's the greatest thing since Will Rogers."
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I liked it but then again I like everything Ed Norton does.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Thread Information