+ Reply to Thread
Page 450 of 632 FirstFirst ... 350 400 440 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 460 500 550 ... LastLast
Results 11,226 to 11,250 of 15788
  1. #11226

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    20 minutes of floating through space to classical music. Zzzzzzz....

    88 minutes without dialogue, out of 160 minutes.

    Cut out even half of that, and you get a reasonable 2-hour movie.
    Oh c'mon, I sat through The Wild Wild West with Will Smith. Now that was a bad movie.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  2. #11227

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Oh c'mon, I sat through The Wild Wild West with Will Smith. Now that was a bad movie.
    As the old saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a terrible movie." or something like that.

  3. #11228
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Oh c'mon, I sat through The Wild Wild West with Will Smith. Now that was a bad movie.
    Yeah, but that movie got a 21% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. It's known not to be a good movie...2001 is supposed to be a classic.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  4. #11229

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Yeah, but that movie got a 21% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. It's known not to be a good movie...2001 is supposed to be a classic.
    I'm not sure how that Rotten Tomatoes thing work. Does that mean 21% of the people who have participated in a poll on their site actually liked that movie? That's quite disconcerting to me that anyone could like that movie.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  5. #11230
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm not sure how that Rotten Tomatoes thing work. Does that mean 21% of the people who have participated in a poll on their site actually liked that movie? That's quite disconcerting to me that anyone could like that movie.
    Yes. The percentage is the percentage of critics who gave it favorable reviews. Keep in mind, though, that a favorable review could be anything from "Best Movie Ever!" to "This was kind of entertaining for what it was," so an equal percentage doesn't necessarily mean an equal consensus. It's a pretty good guideline of what critics thought, though. Also, it's not as reliable for older movies, since the sample of reviews is biased (only some of the reviews are from the same period of the movie, etc.)
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  6. #11231

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Yes. The percentage is the percentage of critics who gave it favorable reviews. Keep in mind, though, that a favorable review could be anything from "Best Movie Ever!" to "This was kind of entertaining for what it was," so an equal percentage doesn't necessarily mean an equal consensus. It's a pretty good guideline of what critics thought, though.
    Whoa, it's from critics and not some 15 year old kid voting? Now I'm really disheartened.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  7. #11232
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Whoa, it's from critics and not some 15 year old kid voting? Now I'm really disheartened.
    Yes. There's an audience meter there, too (the one to the right, by the popcorn), but the main percentage you see there is the critic percentage. It's like the top 150 print based sources and top 75 web based sources for reviews or something like that that are eligible to be included. (The numbers are different, I'm pretty sure, but that's the idea.) For RT, though, 21% is pretty awful. It might be higher than you'd think for that movie, but you need to be almost trying to do much worse than that a lot of the time.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  8. #11233

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Yes. There's an audience meter there, too (the one to the right, by the popcorn), but the main percentage you see there is the critic percentage. It's like the top 150 print based sources and top 75 web based sources for reviews or something like that that are eligible to be included. (The numbers are different, I'm pretty sure, but that's the idea.) For RT, though, 21% is pretty awful. It might be higher than you'd think for that movie, but you need to be almost trying to do much worse than that a lot of the time.
    I thought it was like that IMDB movie ranking thing that I take with a huge grain of salt. Thanks for explaining how it works. (although I seldom if ever look at the rotten tomatoes site)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  9. #11234

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I thought it was like that IMDB movie ranking thing that I take with a huge grain of salt. Thanks for explaining how it works. (although I seldom if ever look at the rotten tomatoes site)
    I haven't seen many IMDB ratings that are wildly out of line.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  10. #11235

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I haven't seen many IMDB ratings that are wildly out of line.
    A find a recent movie will get a big push.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  11. #11236
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I haven't seen many IMDB ratings that are wildly out of line.
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Citizen Kane



    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  12. #11237

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Citizen Kane


    The Matrix
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  13. #11238
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Citizen Kane


    Star Wars



    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  14. #11239

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Citizen Kane


    I like Citizen Kane quite a bit, although I know you do not. I'm not saying it's one of my personal favorites but I'll watch it whenever I run across it on TCM.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  15. #11240
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I thought it was like that IMDB movie ranking thing that I take with a huge grain of salt. Thanks for explaining how it works. (although I seldom if ever look at the rotten tomatoes site)
    I almost always look at it when deciding whether to see a movie, especially if there's a movie that I thought looked intriguing but with the potential to be very bad. That doesn't mean that I always see a movie if it's highly rated or never see one that is rated low, but I usually take it into consideration and read a few of the positive/negative blurbs to see whether I want to spend the money.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  16. #11241
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I like Citizen Kane quite a bit, although I know you do not. I'm not saying it's one of my personal favorites but I'll watch it whenever I run across it on TCM.
    I'm in the "one of the greatest ever" camp on that one. There were a couple of nice visual quotes from Citizen Kane in The Artist.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  17. #11242
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I like Citizen Kane quite a bit, although I know you do not. I'm not saying it's one of my personal favorites but I'll watch it whenever I run across it on TCM.
    Kane is a good movie, but I think it's a bit of a victim of its hype when it comes to not being liked by some. It might be one of the most historically important movies ever made because of how it changed the way movies were made, but ultimately I don't really care about that when I'm watching it from an entertainment perspective. If I was watching it when it came out I probably would have been blown away from the techniques, but since I have seen the techniques in countless movies before, I wasn't terribly impressed by that aspect of it, though it's certainly pretty much technically perfect. I appreciate the importance, but I don't know that that improves the quality at all. That being said, I think it was a well done character study. My main issue with it, probably, was that there's a lack of urgency in the story, which is often an issue with that kind of biopic/look back at a person, but I think it was more pronounced here. I thought that the reporter's goal (finding out what the word meant) wasn't exactly thrilling and the payoff is kind of disappointing, too, though I liked the payoff more than some do.

    Edit: By the way, speaking of the greatest movies, I have now finally seen the top 10 AFI movies. I was sitting at eight for pretty much forever but saw the last two over the past few weeks. Almost up to 80 overall now.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  18. #11243
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Edit: By the way, speaking of the greatest movies, I have now finally seen the top 10 AFI movies. I was sitting at eight for pretty much forever but saw the last two over the past few weeks. Almost up to 80 overall now.
    I'm not sure if I've ever seen Lawrence of Arabia straight through. Otherwise, the only ones in the top 100 I haven't seen are Intolerance and Sunrise.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  19. #11244
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    I would hardly go by Rotten Tomatoes as anything to categorize a movie as being good. It just means it's popular. Borat made over $100 million, should that have won Best Picture?
    Life is good!

  20. #11245
    Call now. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I would hardly go by Rotten Tomatoes as anything to categorize a movie as being good. It just means it's popular. Borat made over $100 million, should that have won Best Picture?
    But Rotten Tomatoes is about popularity among critics, which could be more valid than popularity among the general public.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    RIP, Pete.

  21. #11246
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Kane is a good movie, but I think it's a bit of a victim of its hype when it comes to not being liked by some. It might be one of the most historically important movies ever made because of how it changed the way movies were made, but ultimately I don't really care about that when I'm watching it from an entertainment perspective. If I was watching it when it came out I probably would have been blown away from the techniques, but since I have seen the techniques in countless movies before, I wasn't terribly impressed by that aspect of it, though it's certainly pretty much technically perfect. I appreciate the importance, but I don't know that that improves the quality at all. That being said, I think it was a well done character study. My main issue with it, probably, was that there's a lack of urgency in the story, which is often an issue with that kind of biopic/look back at a person, but I think it was more pronounced here. I thought that the reporter's goal (finding out what the word meant) wasn't exactly thrilling and the payoff is kind of disappointing, too, though I liked the payoff more than some do.
    See, to me, I don't care about technological breakthroughs or advances in cinematography or whatever. For a drama, give me a good story, well acted, at a decent pace. I just found Kane boring. And since I knew what "Rosebud" was going in to it, that "mystery" was gone.

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  22. #11247
    NYYF Legend

    penfold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    My first reaction to seeing a lot of classics such as Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, etc. was "What was all the fuss about?" It seemed that the critics were getting themselves into a lather over something that was simply okay. It sometimes takes multiple viewings to me to go along with the hype. Other times (2001: A Space Oddity), I'm convinced that the critics were just swayed by film-school-masturbation.

  23. #11248

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    film-school-masturbation.
    I rented that once.

    It, too, was overrated.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  24. #11249
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    But Rotten Tomatoes is about popularity among critics, which could be more valid than popularity among the general public.
    I thought it was also the public? When I go on the movie page it gives a percentage of critics and viewers.
    Life is good!

  25. #11250
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

    Sadly I think as a whole movie quality in recent years has been bad. I can't think of one film in the last 10 years that to me stands out as an all-time great. Just throw money at special effects and call it a movie.
    Life is good!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts