+ Reply to Thread
Page 403 of 626 FirstFirst ... 303 353 393 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 413 453 503 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,075 of 15645
    NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Re: The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" (Version 2.0)

I definitely see where Boz and Muggs are coming from and I too have a lot of trouble with mob movies because of that. However like Steve I'm able to get passed the whole rooting thing and enjoy the story from the character's POV. In a good movie the way the character justifies and rationalizes his evils is conveyed clearly for the audience and we are able to understand his motives and enjoy the story.
    One of my favorite movies of all time is Der Untergang, it's about Hitler's final days. You don't feel bad for him but you understand his frustration and disappointed when he finally accepts that the end is here. The guy built this mighty empire in such a short time and then in the end he's defeated by the soviets who in his mind are a bunch of backwards uncivilized hicks. Makes for great drama.

As for Dexter, it's a great show but I don't think Muggs will like it. 90% of the show runs like your typical formulaic cop show with the other 10% being Dexter killing the bad guy at the end. The best parts of the show are when Dexter struggles with himself and his quest for being normal. It's no surprise that the two best seasons of Dexter are seasons 1 and 4 where Dexter's ethics were questioned the most. I feel like Dexter could have been so much better had it only been about 3 seasons long with all the CSI Miami crap cut out focusing solely on Dexter and his inner turmoil.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

I agree I also wish the show was more about Dexter and his struggles and ethics and his evolution to be a person instead of a monster. And I do think a lot of the show has been focused on cop stuff but remember the other character is Deb and her evolution into something and her job as a detective kind of steers the show in that direction.

We'll see, I hope this upcoming season Deb finds out.

As far as everything else you said, I agree, I am more interested in the characters and a story rather than having a goal and a person to root for. It's boring to me. I've seen so many movies, you know the good guy will win/get what he wants/get the girl/get the job/make it into the big game, the only obstacle is getting the movie to do it in a way that hasn't been before so the audience enjoys something different. But that is not what I want in most movies.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Dexter is awesome.
    it is, but Dexter has redeeming qualities! He's a really awlful person trying, through his Code, to do good. Dexter Is awesome.

Breaking bad.. never watched an episode.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

As far as everything else you said, I agree, I am more interested in the characters and a story rather than having a goal and a person to root for. It's boring to me. I've seen so many movies, you know the good guy will win/get what he wants/get the girl/get the job/make it into the big game, the only obstacle is getting the movie to do it in a way that hasn't been before so the audience enjoys something different. But that is not what I want in most movies.
    The good guy doesn't have to win for me to enjoy the story - I just need someone to root for.

Fallen is the first thing that came to mind - really enjoyed that film, a lot.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Dexter would be infinitely better if they killed Deb and got rid of Jennifer Carpenter's godawful attempt at acting.

Any Woody Allen fans here?

Yeah it's a classic man. You disagree?
    Very much. One of those movies that runs on TNT where I can only sit and say "This is the most implausible movie I've ever seen" and then Point Break follows and I have to change my mind.

Since I'm here:

1. Inception
    2. Dark Knight
    3. Memento
    4. Batman Begins
    5. Prestige
    6. Insomnia
    7. Following

But all 7 were awesome. Best director of my lifetime.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankee82093 View Post
    Any Woody Allen fans here?
    Not me but I did enjoy Midnight in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Very much. One of those movies that runs on TNT where I can only sit and say "This is the most implausible movie I've ever seen" and then Point Break follows and I have to change my mind.

Since I'm here:

1. Inception
    2. Dark Knight
    3. Memento
    4. Batman Begins
    5. Prestige
    6. Insomnia
    7. Following

But all 7 were awesome. Best director of my lifetime.
    Oh I'm not going to sit here and say anything in Red Dawn could actually happen, but I just think it's one of those movies I've always enjoyed and maybe nostalgia has kept it alive for me but I do like it. However improbably or ridiculous most of it is.

I actually rank my Nolan films exactly how you did there. Except I'd probably flip 6 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Dexter would be infinitely better if they killed Deb and got rid of Jennifer Carpenter's godawful attempt at acting.
    I think her character will be so much better if she found out. And see where it goes from there. I'm sick of Deb and her crying every episode and her daddy issues and her banging every new male character on the show every year but I've grown to appreciate her move after last season as a character. Jennifer Carpenter is not a good actress but it is her part, hopefully she eventually evolves.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Not me but I did enjoy Midnight in Paris.

Same here, although I do like some of his earlier work.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'll stick my nose in here. I've never seen Dexter but it seems like a show I wouldn't like. I saw one episode of Breaking Bad because so many people raved about it and I hated it.
    Breaking Bad would be a hard show to pick up one episode and enjoy, i'd think since a big part of what makes it so intriguing is seeing a person like Walter go through everything that get's him wrapped up in the situation he ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Same here, although I do like some of his earlier work.
    I'm a Play it Again, Sam and Bananas guy. Interiors, not so much.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Breaking Bad would be a hard show to pick up one episode and enjoy, i'd think since a big part of what makes it so intriguing is seeing a person like Walter go through everything that get's him wrapped up in the situation he ends up.
    You're probably right but I decided I wasn't interested in investing any time watching this show.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I'm a Play it Again, Sam and Bananas guy. Interiors, not so much.
    Snakebite!
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Just finished Amelie, great movie. Fantastic soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Happy Easter!!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Any movie where you have to root for a truly bad person, I struggle with. Goodfellas is about a gangster who is a piece of crap. I can't root for him, so i can't get into the movie.

Godfather 1 you root Pacino because he's a good guy.. he's trying to protect his family, he's a soldier. You root for him for the same reasons his father didn't want him to be in the family busines.

Godfather 2 he's just another criminal, and a vicious one.

This is where a lot of mob movies fail for me. I enjoyed The Departed way more than Goodfellas, though both are essentially mob movies.
    Boz, I agree with you 100% about mob movies. I find it difficult being entertained watching a story about the scum of the earth.

(Bronx Tale I like a lot but that's a different type of mob movie)
    This is how Alex feels too. he didn't even want to try the Godfather, much less Good Fellas. I thought it was odd but will now tell him he's not alone.

I watched The Man Who Wasn't There tonight, a 2001 Coen Brothers movie starring Billy Bob Thornton. Based on what I knew about the genre, cast, director, and the consensus of reviews I'd seen, I was really expecting to like it a lot, but ultimately I found it impossible to really get into. It was the kind of movie that, had it not been a Coen Brothers movie (or similar director), I might have considered turning off midway through before deciding not to.

I think my main issues with the movie were the pace and the Billy Bob Thornton character (not necessarily his performance, but the character himself.)

Don't get me wrong on pace--I certainly don't need a lightning fast or even fast pace to enjoy a movie, but this movie (I believe deliberately) had perhaps the slowest pace I've ever seen in a movie, and the pace was very, very consistent as well. I kind of think that whether a movie is fast paced or slow paced in general, there have to be at least little ups and downs within it in order for it to work, and I kind of felt that if you were gauging the pace from 1 to 10 with 1 being as slow as possible and 10 being a fight scene in a Transformers movie where it's going so fast you can't even tell what's going on, this movie probably sat at about a 2.5, never getting above a 3 or below a 2. It just kind of meandered along at the same pace, kind of like watching a slug walk or crawl (or whatever it is slugs do) a 40 meter dash. Again, I think they were going for that, but I didn't think it worked.

Minor Spoilers: There is a scene in the final third of the movie where Thornton's character takes Scarlett Johansen's character, the daughter of a family friend, to a world class piano teacher, as he believes she is a great talent and wants her to pursue music. To paraphrase, the piano teacher basically tells Thornton that she's a nice girl, but that she more or less stinks. She hits the right keys and is technically proficient and doesn't make many if any mistakes, but there's just something missing from the inside. I think it was a pretty accurate description of the character's piano playing, but I thought it might have even been a better description of the pace of the movie. The movie kind of felt to me like it was methodically plodding along, hitting the right keys at the right times but without any real passion.

My second issue, as I said, was with the Thornton character. The more I think about it, the more I think that in all likelihood, Thornton did a very good job portraying the character. I just think that the issue is that the character was pretty uninteresting in the first place. I really didn't think he showed an ounce of emotion at almost any point in the whole movie. I can only remember one specific time, in fact, where that occurs at all. He's not a really likable character in any way, he's not a character I really felt that I could root for or against, and ultimately I just really didn't care what happened to anybody in the whole movie. I can't really fault anyone's performance (and it's a very talented cast); I just thought the characters were almost all pretty uninspired. When you have a slow, slow pace and characters that I don't care about (or that I'm at least not interested in), chances are I'm not going to like the movie.

The story wasn't bad by any means, and there was even a mildly clever little twist near the end that I didn't see coming, but I didn't think it was nearly good enough to make up for the shortcomings. There were some pretty good aspects, too (most of them technical), but I won't go into those, as this is plenty long enough already. Keep in mind that I'm definitely in the minority on this one, as the film has over an 80% on RT and a 7.7 or so on IMDB, so people like it. It just didn't work for me at all.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Watched "Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog" on netflix tonight. Very entertaining, enjoyed it much. Big fan of Joss Wheedon, and Nathan Fillion, becoming a big fan of NPH too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Watched "Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog" on netflix tonight. Very entertaining, enjoyed it much. Big fan of Joss Wheedon, and Nathan Fillion, becoming a big fan of NPH too.
    I've seen that too. Yea, very fun. I didn't know Neil Partrick Harris could sing.

watched "The Man From Nowhere" on netflix. Someone here recommended it i think, I enjoyed it.

NYYF Legend

The story wasn't bad by any means, and there was even a mildly clever little twist near the end that I didn't see coming, but I didn't think it was nearly good enough to make up for the shortcomings. There were some pretty good aspects, too (most of them technical), but I won't go into those, as this is plenty long enough already. Keep in mind that I'm definitely in the minority on this one, as the film has over an 80% on RT and a 7.7 or so on IMDB, so people like it. It just didn't work for me at all.
    Yeah, for me this was a technical quality watch rather than an enjoyment watch. I'm sure if I were a filmmaker I would have been in raptures, but as it was, BBT's character was a complete cipher, and that made it hard to be invested in anything going on. I probably lack the familiarity with the genre and style to appreciate a lot of the choices made.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

just watched "Shane", never seen it before. I thought from watching "The Negotiator" that Shane would be a bit more obviously hurt, but he's not. There's little evidence he's seriously injured. I don't think it's as clear cut as Kevin Spacey's character made out in TN, and the trivia on IMDB doesn't clear it up.

I watched "The Kids Are All Right" tonight, and LOVED it. So much. Don't judge.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I watched "The Kids Are All Right" tonight, and LOVED it. So much. Don't judge.
    I just watched most of it too. I thought it was very good as well.
    Complaining is a choice

Thread Information