+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Right now these guys spring foward...

    Dick Jauron: Nice guy who can't HC in the NFL. KC Joyner's Scientific Football: 2006 brings to mind the time when the Steelers passed on Dave Wannstadt and hired Bill Cowher. When asked why didn't he take JJ's popular DC, Rooney said that he thought Cowher was more "dynamic". KC says that with Wannstadt and Jauron, if you give them an 8-8 team, they will finish 8-8, etc.

    Now that the Bills are a nauseating 0-3, Jauron might not last the season.

    Norv Turner: I've never been a Marty fan. IMO, the Bolts made the right decison firing him. That said, why Turner? The Bolts are 1-2 and that home win against the Bears looks less and less impressive with each passing week. Turner is already getting heat from the media and fans.

    Thoughts?
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  2. #2

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Right now these guys spring foward...

    Dick Jauron: Nice guy who can't HC in the NFL. KC Joyner's Scientific Football: 2006 brings to mind the time when the Steelers passed on Dave Wannstadt and hired Bill Cowher. When asked why didn't he take JJ's popular DC, Rooney said that he thought Cowher was more "dynamic". KC says that with Wannstadt and Jauron, if you give them an 8-8 team, they will finish 8-8, etc.

    Now that the Bills are a nauseating 0-3, Jauron might not last the season.

    Norv Turner: I've never been a Marty fan. IMO, the Bolts made the right decison firing him. That said, why Turner? The Bolts are 1-2 and that home win against the Bears looks less and less impressive with each passing week. Turner is already getting heat from the media and fans.

    Thoughts?
    In no way, shape, or form should Jauron be on this list. Let's take a look at what he has lost: Losman (starting QB), Kevin Everett (backup TE, special teams), *Ryan Denney (DE who rotated with Kelsay often), *Keith Ellison (starting LB), *Paul Posluszny (starting LB), *Coy Wire (1 backup linebacker), *Jason Webster (starting CB), *Terrence McGee (starting CB), *Ko Simpson (starting S), Brad Butler (starting guard), and *Ashton Youboty (backup CB who became starter when Webster was injured).

    All players with stars are missing significant time. Webster, Simpson, and Everett are all on the IR, Denney is out for most if not all of the entire year, Keith Ellison is not expected back until week 6 at the earliest, Poz is not expected back until Thanksgiving at the earliest, etc.

    You usually do your research RI. There is no way Jauron can be expected to do a lot with a defense full of backups of backups. Jauron is safe.

  3. #3
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    For once, I'm in agreement with RI on something. Norv Turner is a disaster.

    At least Marty was good at GETTING teams to the playoffs. Norv is running the Chargers into the ground. Pretty hard to do considering how much talent is on that team.

  4. #4
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    For once, I'm in agreement with RI on something. Norv Turner is a disaster.

    At least Marty was good at GETTING teams to the playoffs. Norv is running the Chargers into the ground. Pretty hard to do considering how much talent is on that team.
    I think it's more on Norv that he can't shut his players up and get them to focus.

    I think Jack Del Rio may have trouble keeping his job if the Jaguars don't turn things around. He basically cut Leftwich to keep a skinnier Leftwich.

  5. #5
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    I think it's more on Norv that he can't shut his players up and get them to focus.

    I think Jack Del Rio may have trouble keeping his job if the Jaguars don't turn things around. He basically cut Leftwich to keep a skinnier Leftwich.
    IMO, Del Rio is safe. DR lost confidence in Leftwich and didn't want him on the team. Moreover, DR wanted to draft Brady Quinn. Leftwich was practically adopted by GM James Harris, who overruled DR in the draft. When Leftwhich started to struggle, in preseason, and started whining to the press about the the team, Weaver had seen enough and sided with DR. Now, Harris is a lame duck GM after losing his power struggle with DR. DR is safe and prehaps is in better shape now than ever.

    Harris will likely be gone.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  6. #6
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManKnownAsMecca
    In no way, shape, or form should Jauron be on this list. Let's take a look at what he has lost: Losman (starting QB), Kevin Everett (backup TE, special teams), *Ryan Denney (DE who rotated with Kelsay often), *Keith Ellison (starting LB), *Paul Posluszny (starting LB), *Coy Wire (1 backup linebacker), *Jason Webster (starting CB), *Terrence McGee (starting CB), *Ko Simpson (starting S), Brad Butler (starting guard), and *Ashton Youboty (backup CB who became starter when Webster was injured).

    All players with stars are missing significant time. Webster, Simpson, and Everett are all on the IR, Denney is out for most if not all of the entire year, Keith Ellison is not expected back until week 6 at the earliest, Poz is not expected back until Thanksgiving at the earliest, etc.

    You usually do your research RI. There is no way Jauron can be expected to do a lot with a defense full of backups of backups. Jauron is safe.
    Jauron's tenure with the Bears wasn't good. Last season was so-so.

    An 0-4 start would be another nail in the coffin.

    They didn't have injuries in the week one home loss against a Denver team that's been mediocre so far this season.

    The Bills play calling has been under scrutiny since last season.

    Jauron is overrated. His only great season, in 2001 was marred by an embarrassing home loss to Philly in the playoffs. That year the Bears benefited from a a weak NFC Central and an cupcake schedule.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  7. #7

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Jauron's tenure with the Bears wasn't good. Last season was so-so.

    An 0-4 start would be another nail in the coffin.

    They didn't have injuries in the week one home loss against a Denver team that's been mediocre so far this season.

    The Bills play calling has been under scrutiny since last season.

    Jauron is overrated. His only great season, in 2001 was marred by an embarrassing home loss to Philly in the playoffs. That year the Bears benefited from a a weak NFC Central and an cupcake schedule.
    His Chicago coaching career has absolutely nothing to do with his current job.

    Yes, they should have beaten the Broncos, but they lost on the first play. There were a few injuries in that game and Ellison has been out since the pre-season.

    Seven wins last year with that team and lack of an offensive line left Bills fans pleased. I didn't see anyone scrutinizing the Bills play calling last year whatsoever to be honest. Their 3rd down defense is the only problem I had.

    You failed to mention that the Bills other two losses came to teams that are undefeated. The Patriots are ridiculously talented, and I must say the Steelers are much better than I anticipated.

    I'm not saying Jauron is a great coach or even a good one, but I can't see how he can be on the hot seat after losing to two very good teams and a team that is riddled by injuries.

  8. #8
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    For once, I'm in agreement with RI on something. Norv Turner is a disaster.

    At least Marty was good at GETTING teams to the playoffs. Norv is running the Chargers into the ground. Pretty hard to do considering how much talent is on that team.
    Norv got himself in a bad situation. Taking over a team that ends a 14-2 season with a heartbreaking playoff loss, is career suicide. This alone is the reason he's on the hotseat. In fact, Turner sat on the stove as soon as he took this job.

    In fairness to Turner, there are other factors at work:

    The score in the Pats game would have been no different if the old coaching staff would have been there. The Pats 38-14 win was indicative of a better team dominating a lesser team. The Pats have made improvements from the team that eeked out a win in SD last January. They are clearly the better team this year regardless of coach. Meanwhile, SD stood pat in the offseason.

    WR Eric Parker has been injured. Teams aren't afraid of the Chargers WRs and are putting 8-9 in the box to stop LT.

    The SD offense has been okay, it's their D that stinks. Hiring Ted Cottrell to replace Wade Phillips was a big mistake. Cottrell's style is different from Phillip's blitzing, aggressive system.

    The smart move would have been to promote Phillips to HC. His resume is no worse than Turner's.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  9. #9
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManKnownAsMecca
    I'm not saying Jauron is a great coach or even a good one, but I can't see how he can be on the hot seat after losing to two very good teams and a team that is riddled by injuries.
    The injuries provide a conevenient excuse.

    IMO, w/o injuries, the Bills would still be 0-3. In that case, Jauron would have to beat the Jets at home this week to save his job. A healthy team with an 0-4 start, would put any coach on the hotseat. But since the injuries have been pronounced, Jauron will likely garner sympathy from the FO.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  10. #10

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Agree to disagree... He's not a great coach but he shouldn't be blamed for this start.

  11. #11
    NYYF Triple Crown

    CyYoung4Vazquez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UES

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Jauron won't be fired. Besides, Ralph is too damn cheap to bring in a good coach, or players for that matter.


  12. #12
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Marv Lewis?

    8-8 last year and he could be looking at a 1-3 start this season.

    Then again, Brown makes Wilson seem extravagant.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  13. #13
    Released Outright texasyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Texas Hill Country

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    I dont know if this thread should be limited to NFL coaches.....unless I'm missing the NCAA version of it.....

    But, any thoughts on Franchione at Texas A&M?

    I believe the guy is gone after this season - there is no way he coaches this team to go 11-1.

    And now, after this latest flap of selling inside info to TAMU boosters......

  14. #14
    NYYF MVP

    CardNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Virginia

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Linehan should be at the top of the list. He's in over his head.

  15. #15
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Feb 2003

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Marv Lewis?

    8-8 last year and he could be looking at a 1-3 start this season.

    Then again, Brown makes Wilson seem extravagant.
    I've got to agree about Mike Brown. Not that I mind as a Steeler fan, but I seem to remember David Shula coaching the Bengals for 4 1/2 seasons before they finally fired him. So, going by Mike Brown's logic, Lewis will probably be coaching the Bengals for another 4 or 5 years.

  16. #16
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CardNYY
    Linehan should be at the top of the list. He's in over his head.
    He's in the same boat as Jauron. The Rams have been hit with devastating injuries.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  17. #17
    NYYF MVP

    CardNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Virginia

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    He's in the same boat as Jauron. The Rams have been hit with devastating injuries.
    And instead of using Gus Ferrotte against the Cowboys he allowed Bulger to remain in the game. Everyone knew that he should've been benched. That alone SHOULD cost him his job.

  18. #18
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by CardNYY
    And instead of using Gus Ferrotte against the Cowboys he allowed Bulger to remain in the game. Everyone knew that he should've been benched. That alone SHOULD cost him his job.
    If you need to turn to Gus Ferrotte and it's only October 1, the coach has nothing to do with your team's win/loss record.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Bulger is a probowl caliber QB and should only be benched for injury or if the game is out of hand.

    Herm Edwards is on the hotseat.

  20. #20
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72
    Herm Edwards is on the hotseat.
    Not after this week.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

  21. #21
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Marv Lewis?

    8-8 last year and he could be looking at a 1-3 start this season.

    Then again, Brown makes Wilson seem extravagant.
    The Bengals only have talent on one side of the ball....there is only so much a coach can do with a team like that.

  22. #22
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    43 miles west of Gillette Stadium

    Re: Deathwatch: Hotseat Head Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    The Bengals only have talent on one side of the ball....there is only so much a coach can do with a team like that.
    The numerous off-field incidents and the ridiculous number of penalties don't help his cause.

    That, and the fact that Lewis is has been coaching/developing the Bengals since 2003 and has only one winning season to show for it.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts