+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF MVP

MLB TV ratings up with 21 teams

Among all teams, the Red Sox had posted the highest rating, averaging a 12.1 on NESN, their owned and operated network. FSN North’s Brewers telecasts were averaging a 7.4, more than double last year’s mark and making for the biggest jump in the league. The White Sox games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago had seen the steepest drop, falling 56 percent to a 1.4 average.

Arizona DiamondbacksFSN Arizona (68)4.7 (+15%)

Atlanta BravesFSN South (21)3.2 (-30%)

Atlanta BravesSportSouth* (48)3.6 (-20%)

Baltimore OriolesMASN (143)3.3 (+18%)**

Boston Red SoxNESN (130)12.1 (+5%)

Chicago CubsCSN-Chicago (60)4.0 (+30%)

Chicago White SoxCSN-Chicago (86)1.4 (-56%)

Cincinnati RedsFSN Ohio (126)5.1 (-7%)

Cleveland IndiansSportsTime Ohio (113)5.8 (+45%)

Colorado RockiesFSN Rocky Mountain (108)3.3 (+10%)

Detroit TigersFSN Detroit (105)7.5 (+10%)

Florida MarlinsFSN Florida (95)3.2 (+19%)

Florida MarlinsSun Sports*** (35)3.1 (+8%)

Houston AstrosFSN Southwest (114)4.2 (+14%)

Kansas City RoyalsRSTN (100)NA^

Los Angeles AngelsFSN West (88)1.7 (0%)

Los Angeles DodgersFSN Prime Ticket (87)2.0 (+23%)

Milwaukee BrewersFSN North (100)7.4 (+133%)

Minneapolis TwinsFSN North (91)7.3 (+19%)

New York MetsSNY (104)3.1 (+7%)

New York YankeesYES (108)4.5 (+7%)

Oakland AthleticsFSN Bay Area (66)1.9 (+20%)

Philadelphia Phillies CSN (86)5.3 (+16%)

Pittsburgh PiratesFSN Pittsburgh (108)3.4 (-17%)

San Diego PadresCox 4 San Diego (121)7.1 (+17%)

San Francisco GiantsFSN Bay Area (89)3.0 (+2%)

Seattle MarinersFSN Northwest (94)8.9 (+44%)

St. Louis CardinalsFSN Midwest (111)7.5 (-12%)

Tampa Bay Devil RaysFSN Florida (66)1.8 (+1%)

Texas RangersFSN Southwest (70)1.4 (-23%)

Toronto Blue JaysRogers Sportsnet (103)NA

Washington NationalsMASN (143)0.8 (+60%)

The Nationals ratings are really awful

White Sox ratings falling through the floor

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

NYYF Legend

Re: MLB TV ratings up with 21 teams

If you were a White Sox fan, would you want to watch them this year? I don't think that's too surprising.

However, the Nationals are playing really good baseball down the stretch. It looks like they have some good young players and are building towards the future. This is a team that many thought would be even worse than the '62 Mets, and right now they are staying out of last place. They should have better ratings than what they are getting.
    "They're going to send me back to Omaha, and I don't even live there." - Rube Baker

There are a lot of small market teams with meaningful ratings increases - how do these fans find time to watch baseball games when they're surely so busy joining bobby jr's campaign against payroll disparity

NYYF MVP

The Boston rating is staggering. NESN must beat the networks most nights.

Yankees is smaller than I would have thought and LA with 2 decent teams is awful.

Only people watching the White Sox now are the members of the Ken Harrelson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by chisox
    The Boston rating is staggering. NESN must beat the networks most nights.

Yankees is smaller than I would have thought and LA with 2 decent teams is awful.

Only people watching the White Sox now are the members of the Ken Harrelson Fan Club
    I dunno if I agree.
    The Boston rating is big, but the Yankees share the market with another popular team and still have a big time rating...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Apart from the percentages, I'm not exactly sure what numbers I'm looking it. The Sox are averaging a 12.1 what? What are the numbers in parentheses

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jughead
    Apart from the percentages, I'm not exactly sure what numbers I'm looking it. The Sox are averaging a 12.1 what? What are the numbers in parentheses
    12.1 is the % of all televisions in the market watching

the number in parentheses is the number of games televised by the channel

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76
    I dunno if I agree.
    The Boston rating is big, but the Yankees share the market with another popular team and still have a big time rating...
    Shared market or not, the Red Sox rating is almost double the two teams combined. That's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    Shared market or not, the Red Sox rating is almost double the two teams combined. That's pretty impressive.
    I agree with that statement, but I do not think the Yankees rating is low..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Forum Regular

Chisox, where did you get this data?

Keep in mind that the rating % should not necessarily be expected to be higher the larger the market, since it merely represents a % of all TVs tuned to the game. I also assume that none of these numbers take into account people getting these channels from outside the market area via EI, etc.
    The ratings for the Rangers are a disgrace, as are (IMO) the ratings for the LA teams (yes, I know, these LA types are so busy with all their other life activities and the great weather that they don't watch..that is what is called a BAD FAN). The ratings for the Cubs are surprisingly low and I;d say the Marlins have surprisingly high ratings.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Gator's Shadow
    Chisox, where did you get this data?

Keep in mind that the rating % should not necessarily be expected to be higher the larger the market, since it merely represents a % of all TVs tuned to the game. I also assume that none of these numbers take into account people getting these channels from outside the market area via EI, etc.
    The ratings for the Rangers are a disgrace, as are (IMO) the ratings for the LA teams (yes, I know, these LA types are so busy with all their other life activities and the great weather that they don't watch..that is what is called a BAD FAN). The ratings for the Cubs are surprisingly low and I;d say the Marlins have surprisingly high ratings.
    http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com...rticleId=56353

It shows overall the game is healthy

Quote Originally Posted by chisox
    12.1 is the % of all televisions in the market watching

the number in parentheses is the number of games televised by the channel
    So essentially, 12% of Boston as opposed to 7% of NY. The number itself is essentially meaningless because NY has a higher population than BOS. So for NY to have 7% would be higher than BOS 12% just based on population size.
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

Quote Originally Posted by 26 and counting
    If you were a White Sox fan, would you want to watch them this year? I don't think that's too surprising.

I work with a ChiSox fan. He quit watching sometime in August. He didn't even know about Thome's 500th HR.

Quote Originally Posted by knickfan23
    So essentially, 12% of Boston as opposed to 7% of NY. The number itself is essentially meaningless because NY has a higher population than BOS. So for NY to have 7% would be higher than BOS 12% just based on population size.
    I don't think it's meaningless --- it means that if you walk into a random house in the Boston DMA versus NY DMA, someone in Boston is almost three times as likely to be watching the Sox as someone in NY is to be watching the Yankees. Is the 4.5% of the #1 media market bigger than the 12.1% of the 7th biggest media market? Maybe... My guess is "yes" (no pun intended ) that 4.5% of the NY market is bigger than 12.1% of Boston.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Fiber
    I don't think it's meaningless --- it means that if you walk into a random house in the Boston DMA versus NY DMA, someone in Boston is almost three times as likely to be watching the Sox as someone in NY is to be watching the Yankees. Is the 4.5% of the #1 media market bigger than the 12.1% of the 7th biggest media market? Maybe... My guess is "yes" (no pun intended ) that 4.5% of the NY market is bigger than 12.1% of Boston.
    I think the difference can be summed up this way.

If you are visiting Boston you will know there is a ballgame going on.

In New York it is just another blip in the 24 hour circus

Quote Originally Posted by 26 and counting

However, the Nationals are playing really good baseball down the stretch. It looks like they have some good young players and are building towards the future. This is a team that many thought would be even worse than the '62 Mets, and right now they are staying out of last place. They should have better ratings than what they are getting.
    I live in the DC area, and no one cares about the Nationals. The kind of fans that only cheer for them when they win gave up on them in the beginning of the season, and the nationals don't really have any die-hard fans.

im surprised the Florida teams do as well as they do, but Im guessing the majority of people are watching the other teams playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    im surprised the Florida teams do as well as they do, but Im guessing the majority of people are watching the other teams playing them.
    Yeah, that is surprising. The Marlins having better ratings than the SF Giants, Angels and Dodgers, and the same as the Mets isn't what I'd expect. You must be right, it's transplants watching their teams when they face the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    For many years, the sports ratings in New York have been less than some other areas of the country and much of the explanation for that difference is that New Yorkers have so much other activity to choose from instead of staying home and watching sports on television.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Thread Information