+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Documentary Claims DiMaggio/Williams Almost Traded

“Toots,” a documentary about legendary Big Apple barman Toots Shor that will open in Boston next month, contains a fascinating piece of Red Sox [team stats]-Yankees trivia that could have altered baseball history. Seems then-Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey and former Yankees owner Dan Topping got hammered in Toots’ joint one night and decided to swap Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. They even shook on it. The next morning, Yawkey realized his mistake and called Topping, who now had second thoughts himself, and the whole thing was off.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/track/in...icleid=1032017

NYYF Legend

Re: Documentary Claims DiMaggio/Williams Almost Traded

Isn't this a relatively well known fact?
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Pinstriper
    That "almost" trade story has been around for years. Given that Joe D only played a few more seasons and Williams played untill 1960, had the trade been made it would have been considered today as one of the worst deals in Sox history. Could you imagine Williams and Mantle in the same outfield?

NYYF Legend

It has been around for many years and I have heard it for so many times and from so many people that I believe it to be true.

I believe it happened in 1949. Yankee Stadium favored Left handed hitters and Fenway favored right handed hitters.
    It is believeable that after a night of drinking and playing the roles of big shot owners such a trade might have been brought up.

But thank god it never happened. Ted would have been great in YS but both players deserved to end their careers where they started.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    It has been around for many years and I have heard it for so many times and from so many people that I believe it to be true.

I believe it happened in 1949. Yankee Stadium favored Left handed hitters and Fenway favored right handed hitters.
    It is believeable that after a night of drinking and playing the roles of big shot owners such a trade might have been brought up.

But thank god it never happened. Ted would have been great in YS but both players deserved to end their careers where they started.

Andy
    Is this the same Williams-DiMaggio trade that also would have included Yogi Berra, but Topping balked at giving up Yogi? Or is that a different one?

NYYF Legend

The story I've heard included Yogi.

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

The almost trade would have been in 1946 -47 since it was Tom Yawkey and Larry MacPhail drinking one night. MacPhail left the Yankees after they won the world series in 1947. When they sobered up both realized they didn't need to make the trade.
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    Isn't this a relatively well known fact?
    That's my immediate reaction.

NYYF Legend

[quote=fredgmuggs]That's my immediate reaction.[/quote

I am nor sure if it is a documented fact, but only someone who was there at the time can say for sure.I am fairly certain that it is a fact based on all the rerports I have heard.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

They talk about this in one of the Yankeeographies. (I forget whether it was DiMaggio's or a general Yankee one or whatever.) The version that they tell in Yankeeography did not include Berra.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    They talk about this in one of the Yankeeographies. (I forget whether it was DiMaggio's or a general Yankee one or whatever.) The version that they tell in Yankeeography did not include Berra.
    I'm pretty sure it was DiMaggio's. It's hard to imagine something like this happening today.
    “I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.”
    - Billy Martin

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673
    That "almost" trade story has been around for years. Given that Joe D only played a few more seasons and Williams played untill 1960, had the trade been made it would have been considered today as one of the worst deals in Sox history. Could you imagine Williams and Mantle in the same outfield?
    DiMaggio was only 4 years older than Williams. Williams did play for 9 more years so he either took better care of himself or was just lucky. If DiMggio could have brought the Red Sox one or two championships (1948, 1949 or 1950) it would have been worth it. Plus Mantle did alright with Woodling, Bauer, Noren, Howard, etc. How they could have replaced Yogi (Silvestri, Houk?) is debatable.
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thread Information