+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Re: Can Arod pass maris??

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    i dont think arod will hit 74 HR's, any other total prior to that is irrelevant when it comes to records

Addicted Member

i dont think arod will hit 74 HR's, any other total prior to that is irrelevant when it comes to records
    if he gets to 62 he has the record in my, and quite a few other people's, opinion.

NYYF MVP

Washington DC (Originally from Long Island)

Steroid abuse aside, 62 would be a YANKEE Record. That means a lot to a lot of people, particularly those on this board.
    "Every season brings this possibility. Every season features the promise of transcendence." - SJ Gould

It depends on how long this hot stretch lasts. He could hit 65 or 55, depending. He's not going to hit 7 HRs every five games the rest of the way. 74 is impossible. 62 would be amazing, but very difficult. I think he gets stuck trying to get from 57 to 58, because it would be a career high, kind of the way he got stuck between 499 and 500.

Going by his history of hot month cold month I will say he ends up with 60 HR's but unfortunately that means he'll have his usual October I hope I'm wrong!

NYYF MVP

Not in the A.L.

60 HR's has only been achieved twice in A.L. history.

Maris, Ruth...maybe ARod by seasons end.

Very few disputes can't be settled with the proper use of a rear naked choke.

Devoted Member

He will pass Maris, He is swinging the bat right now, In a zone.

NYYF Legend

To lock or not to lock... that is the question

No but really, he'll come up short.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockjeterfan
    . In my hypothetical world steroids help some but not much and also help pitchers a lot, so bonds being a great hitter with no existence of of roids would still hit 65..

without roids barry would not have hit 65. not at age 38. he'd have hit a lot of flyouts
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Most homers ever hit by a Yankee in a single season is irrelevant?
    [/FONT]

NYYF Cy Young

Most homers by a non-steroid user is very relevant. He could get there.

You know me: down with OBP jeterismyhomeboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bostonyankeefan
    Most homers by a non-steroid user is very relevant. He could get there.
    Proof is kinda, sorta important. There's only proof (sworn-testimony) of the current record-holder, not of either of the men who had broken the record before. Not that I think they're pure as new-fallen snow, but in terms of records, McGuire and Sosa are innocent until proven guilty.
    “You can’t ascribe our fall from grace to any single event or set of circumstances. You can’t lose what you lacked at conception.”

Quote Originally Posted by jeterismyhomeboy
    Proof is kinda, sorta important. There's only proof (sworn-testimony) of the current record-holder, not of either of the men who had broken the record before. Not that I think they're pure as new-fallen snow, but in terms of records, McGuire and Sosa are innocent until proven guilty.

Not answering questions and/or suddenly losing the ability to speak english is proof enough for any reasonable person. Not to mention that corked bats aren't exactly legal.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Can we open another thread about A-Rod?
    omg, someone started ANOTHER topic of conversation.?!?!?! What're we to DOOOOOOO??????

MERGE WITH THE MEGATHREADS! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

on topic.. he won't do it.. and legit is in the eyes of the beholder, so it's pointless to discuss that.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees76
    It depends on how long this hot stretch lasts. He could hit 65 or 55, depending. He's not going to hit 7 HRs every five games the rest of the way. 74 is impossible. 62 would be amazing, but very difficult. I think he gets stuck trying to get from 57 to 58, because it would be a career high, kind of the way he got stuck between 499 and 500.
    He didn't get stuck on 49.

ain't over 'til its over

i hope he hits 10HR in the Boston series this weekend...

3500 or Bust

I hope he breaks 61 so I can go around wearing a customized shirt that has the number of HR's in the back and the front is emblazoned with "The Real Record".

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by brosiusbuddy
    Not answering questions and/or suddenly losing the ability to speak english is proof enough for any reasonable person....
    Bingo. I don't know too many people who seriously believe the ML home run record is not 61. Those ridiculous figures of a few years ago are going to become, as time passes, the kind of institutional embarrassment that leads them eventually to be either forgotten or simply ignored. Having said that, if 61 is to be broken, I would certainly prefer that it be broken by a Yankee. It should remain an in-house record.

On "innocent-till-proven-guilty" syndrome: we're not talking about the law here. The people who did what they did during those weird spikey years are being widely ignored because people of common sense became deeply suspicious of this sudden bafflegab before Congress. If the issue ever comes to a legal determination, before judges and juries, then, if evidence points to the contrary, people like me will have either to change their minds or be viewed as cranks. In the meantime, the burden of proof is on the suspected.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar
    omg, someone started ANOTHER topic of conversation.?!?!?! What're we to DOOOOOOO??????

MERGE WITH THE MEGATHREADS! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

on topic.. he won't do it.. and legit is in the eyes of the beholder, so it's pointless to discuss that.
    No arguing other points, but count mine a big NO to merging anything into any megathreads. I hate those. Just because a thread has a name attached, like A-Rod's, it doesn't mean everything about A-Rod should go into one thread. Heck, let different topics live or die of their own volition - what is this drive on this site to have everything in one single thread? Is bandwidth at THAT big a premium on this server?

NYYF Legend

In a way I'm glad those "juiced" HR records that passed Maris are unattainable for A-Rod. So as he approaches the "real" record of 61 there will be much less media attention and pressure on him. Alex is in a zone right now helping the TEAM win. I for one don't want to see the media circus, the switching to marked baseballs before each at bat, or anything else that may be a distraction to him as we are closing in on the WC or possibly catching the RS. What I do want to see is a RING on his finger.

57 in the end

Quote Originally Posted by EyeRis
    i hope he hits 10HR in the Boston series this weekend...
    Fine, but what about the second and third games of the series?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd
    Fine, but what about the second and third games of the series?
    hahaha niiiice
    If you dont plan on winning, you might as well just go home -Derek Jeter

It would be cool if he passes 61, but I think realistically he will come short and only get to around 58 or something....
    GO YANKEES

It's a tall task, but never bet against Alex Rodriguez. However, he would have to stay white hot until the end of September, and that's tough to do, to be that hot for an entire month (more like 5, 6 weeks, he was hot at the end of August too).
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Thread Information