View Poll Results: Do you keep a scorecard?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • At every game I attend and occasionally at home

4 13.79%
  • At every game I attend

4 13.79%
  • At some games I attend

6 20.69%
  • No, but I've thought about it or wished I had

7 24.14%
  • Scorecards are for nerds. Shut up and watch the game!

8 27.59%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Score

Addicted Member

Keeping Score

I keep a detailed scorecard at every game I attend. I find it enhances my enjoyment of the game and is a great conversation starter to the people around me.

You never know when you're going to see something big, and just as it's great to have a ticket stub from a special game, scorecards are great too. They allow you to relive the game any time you like.

I'm also a geek who can't do anything without a pencil in my hand.

I have even been known to keep score while watching or listening to important games at home; I kept score during some of last year's world series, for example.

So what about it, folks? who likes to keep score, and why? Who thinks it's a pointless waste of brain cells?

I used to think that it was silly and I thought people that did it were wasting too much time looking at their scorecards and missing parts of the game.

As I got older there were many times I'd look for the guy in the section that was doing it because I'd often have a question that an accuraly kept scorecard would answer.

A while ago my mother gave me her programs from the 60's, and she scored every game that she went to, it weas a lot of fun to read those, including many from '61.
    After looking through all of them I was jealous that it wasn't part of my routine and wondered why my mother never did it the thousands of times she took me to The Stadium.

Very recently my wife, who kept the scores for my high school team said she'd like to start doing it again.

I stil think I couldn't keep it during a game because I'd be looking down to much for my liking, but I'm gonna love having my wife keep it.

Citizen
    When I was small and played softball, I was always intrigued by the coache's wife who scored our games. I used to pester her all of the time about how it worked. I went out and bought a scorebook and did games from NBC's Game of the Week. It's been years since I did a game, but now I have the urge again.
    --Jim

Career Minor Leaguer 1TonHumanHamsterWheel's Avatar
    I score the game at almost every game I go to, plus I kept score and did stats for my high school team. And every year, I watch the All-Star Game at home and score that. It's good to keep a record of anything that might happen.
    Imperium Referiat!

When I walked in through the door/ Thought it was me I was looking for/ She was the first song I ever sang/ But it stopped as soon as it began...

NYYF Legend

I never score a game but I read every single box score and have all of them in a scrapbook for the year 1998.

Year of the "Juggernaut"!!

NYYF Legend

I can't keep score-I'm always with the kids! (Too busy making bathroom runs and buying food that i end up finishing!) I like to watch the game anyway-the boxscore is always in the paper the next day!
    "...man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now, if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise." Tommy Douglas- The "Greatest" Canadian.

NYYF Legend

Sometimes but not often. Like watching the game way to much.
    If you understand,
    things are just as they are;
    If you do not understand,
    things are just as they are.
    Zen proverb

Calendar of Updates
    www.calendarofupdates.com

There's no reason to keep score anymore. When I go to a game, I tape it off the TV, and then I can print out a variety of internet crap right down to the inning by inning details. There isn't any information you can't get off the net, so why bother writing when you can put your feet up, watch, and drink a cold $6 beer?

NYYF MVP

I agree w/ Bub, there are so many places on the internet where you can get the box score, its too much of a hassle to watch the game and enjoy it also also keep the box score, thats just my opinion onit

For Yankee games, there's only ONE place to get the boxscore. Here .

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

only nerds keep score..
    Kyle

Addicted Member
    Originally posted by Bub
    There's no reason to keep score anymore. When I go to a game, I tape it off the TV, and then I can print out a variety of internet crap right down to the inning by inning details. There isn't any information you can't get off the net, so why bother writing when you can put your feet up, watch, and drink a cold $6 beer?
    Well, here are some of my personal answers to your questions:
    Unless you carry a wireless palmtop with live boxscore updates, there's all kinds of information you can't get during the game. And if it is a special game so the scorecard's worth keeping, or even if there's just a great play that I want to remember, I'd rather have my own notes in my own writing than "internet crap." Finally, many have suggested that you can't pay attention to the game if you're scoring. Well, my experience is the opposite. I pay much closer attention when I'm scoring and I'm consequently more in the game.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Addicted Member
    Let me also add that a scorecard can be much more than a box score. You don't just record totals, but you can record each play as it happens, who moves the runners around and how, who grounded out three times and who hit three screaming line drives that all happened to find an opposing glove. You know how John Sterling likes to say "that cheap blooper will look like a line drive in the box score!" Well, in a scorecard it doesn't have to.

I'll just emphasize that I don't think keeping score is for everyone, but I do feel that "there's no point, just look at the box score" doesn't tell the whole story.

A lot of fans like to keep score as the game goes along - I used to be that way. But what I was saying is that I can go home after a game, and put all that stuff down on the scorecard as I watch the video replay, or get it online which is not as accurate. At my old age, I'd rather just lean back and relax at the game. In fact, I'll be relaxing at the game tomorrow.

NYYF Legend

I have a number of old scorecards, completed, from some games long ago.

It is really nice to look at them now - and see what long-retired players did on that particular day or night.

NYYF Legend

Keeping score is one of the noblest, and highest things a person can aspire to. I would like to do more of it. I've tried it at little league games, but that's really pointless.
    Land of the free?
    It's all about oil.
    Pray for the proud amerikans

My dad taught me..when I was younger, I was AMAZED such a thing EXISTED.
    We still disagree over something:
    I say RF is 9, he says its 7.

I do enjoy doing it, since I can then remember everything about the game. Sometimes, though, I prefer to just watch the game.

Originally posted by WindRavenX
    My dad taught me..when I was younger, I was AMAZED such a thing EXISTED.
    We still disagree over something:
    I say RF is 9, he says its 7.
    Its 9.
    RF is 7, and Center is 8.

heres a great site for learning how to score games:
    Baseball Scorecard

I did it one time, at one game I attended, years ago. Afterwards, I didn't see the point; I feld I'd wasted my time. I guess, though, that it could be fun to look at an old scorecard years later.

I was watching a Met game a couple of years ago, the one when Preston Wilson made his debut. One of the announcers was interviewing Preston's mom during the action and, it turned out that she was keeping score! The announcer (I don't remember who he was.) said, "Look folks, she even keeps score!" He tried to hold up the scorecard but Mrs Wilson took it away, saying, "Shh, I'm a few innings behind." Well, I could understand that, what with all the interruptions by the media people and her getting emotional about her son playing. Anyway, I thought that was cute.
    Bern Baby Bern

[URL="http://blog.myspace.com/bern_bern_bern"][/URL]

I just track the strikeouts for our pitchers. I tape K's on the wall for our pitchers.

If I go by myself I'll keep score. If I go with friends I don't.

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    Satchel Ive tried keeping Score at games! But I find I miss out on
    the enjoyment & thrill of the game by doing it! Making sure I have every
    player right making sure I score em right letting people out of my row,
    letting people in the row! It gets sooooo confusing I save the blank card
    for a sovenier and occasionally look down to match numbers of other
    players!

Picture taking is almost the same! Cept I can put the camera in my lap
    after I get enough pictures & enjoy the rest of the game!

And ya cant take pictures and keep score at the same time at least
    I cant! But I can have fun seeing the players thru the "Eye Of the Camera"!

Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    Satchel no I dont think its a pointless waste of braincells!
    I wish I could do it & enjoy the game too!

GOYS Thanks for the Website I favortized it to study it someday!

Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

Addicted Member
    Thanks for the great responses. I have to say that scoring really adds to my enjoyment of the game, but I understand that not everyone experiences it that way.

If I get a chance tonight I will scan in a scorecard from last thursday's Boston-Tampa game and put it on the web so you can see how I score a game and how much info is there.

Thread Information