+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1

    The next Matsuzaka...

    Check out these youtubes of this year's Koshien highschool tournement, particularly this kid Yoshinori Sato

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzaNudgAJs

    17 K, most on 80ish mph sliders, but then towards the LATER half the of the game he reached back and blew 97 mph fastballs by guys.. wtf why even bother with a slider?

    And then in the 4th round, he hit 98 mph o_O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwQTb-6uEBI

    the kid didn't even win the tournement, the final came down to a super all elite team vs a public school team... and the public school won o_O down by 4 in 8th they got away with a strike out that turned into a bases loaded walk and followed by a HR for a truely crazy cool finish to the tournement.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bxEHgaN5M
    finals highlights.
    [FONT=Verdana]FOR TAIWAN!
    [/FONT]

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    Tabata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Can we got him now or do we have to wait 9 more years and pay $100m for the rights?

  3. #3

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    the NPB have done a nice job in keeping most of their kids at home, but i think it's a matter of time some bolts strait to the US.
    [FONT=Verdana]FOR TAIWAN!
    [/FONT]

  4. #4
    Junior Birdman YASS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Up in the air

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave
    the NPB have done a nice job in keeping most of their kids at home, but i think it's a matter of time some bolts strait to the US.
    If he did bolt, he wouldn't be the first (Tomo Ohka comes to mind as a precedent), but I wouldn't count on it.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    Tabata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    What's his DOB?

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    Tabata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave
    Check out these youtubes of this year's Koshien highschool tournement, particularly this kid Yoshinori Sato

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzaNudgAJs

    17 K, most on 80ish mph sliders, but then towards the LATER half the of the game he reached back and blew 97 mph fastballs by guys.. wtf why even bother with a slider?

    And then in the 4th round, he hit 98 mph o_O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwQTb-6uEBI

    the kid didn't even win the tournement, the final came down to a super all elite team vs a public school team... and the public school won o_O down by 4 in 8th they got away with a strike out that turned into a bases loaded walk and followed by a HR for a truely crazy cool finish to the tournement.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bxEHgaN5M
    finals highlights.
    My god does he look like Dice-K there or what.

  7. #7

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Tomo Ohka was drafted by the NPB team.. the Baystar I believe, he was actually traded to Boston at a young age . that was before the whole posting thing went up though.
    [FONT=Verdana]FOR TAIWAN!
    [/FONT]

  8. #8

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Jesus christ he's nasty. I know the hitters were just way overmatched but that doesnt take away from the movement and velocity on those pitches.
    Is there a difference in distance from the mound to home over there compared to here?

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    chanman7483's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    wow, the windup and delivery is the exact same...

  10. #10
    Addicted Member
    nojoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    buffalo, ny

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Wasn't Kei Igawa nasty too?
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]"Hitters get paid a lot of money to hit. Let's face it, man, sometimes they just do." - Andy Pettitte
    [/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    SoCal Pinstriper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Love the topic and the vid. The choice of forums, not so much.

    EDIT: Moved from ATM
    Last edited by Socal Pinstriper; 08-22-07 at 02:26 PM.



  12. #12
    Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Back in the Ocean State

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    After watching Dice-K for 3/4 of the season I can see the similarities. Unfortunately, after watching Dice-k for 3/4 of a season I know that major leaguers don't swing at those pitches
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

  13. #13

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    His stuff looks nasty but is every hitter Soriano over there? They all seem to be chasing sliders a foot off the plate and in the dirt...jeeez.

  14. #14

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Get him now. Then we don't have to worry about posting or waiting until he is 30 to become a free agent. It looks like he would be a 1st rounder if he was in the US
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

  15. #15

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    id be impressed if he threw even one of those sliders somewhere in the vicinity of what would be called the strike zone

    edit: he did throw one for a strike there. pitchers are always going to look good if you just show their strikeouts. he did give up 2 runs though

  16. #16

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    How old is this kid?

  17. #17

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    Wasn't Kei Igawa nasty too?
    Igawa rarely break 90 mph before going to the states, and he pitched up in the zone as well, this kid is what 16? 17? and he already throws 94-97 mph with movement.

    See the difference?

  18. #18
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    US born pitchers drafted out of high school are risky enough...forget about a Korean HS kid.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    I thought he was Japanese ?

  20. #20
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan
    I thought he was Japanese ?
    Regardless...pitchers drafted out of high school have the lowest MLB success rate of the 4 main players drafted (HS pitcher, HS position player, college pitcher, college position player).

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Regardless...pitchers drafted out of high school have the lowest MLB success rate of the 4 main players drafted (HS pitcher, HS position player, college pitcher, college position player).
    The chance's of signing a Korean HS kid are better then one from Japan.

  22. #22

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    they also have the highest upside
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

  23. #23

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    I thought Yu Darvish was the next Matsuzaka?

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    If he is Korean then signing him shouldn't be much different than Latin American amatuers. Byung-Hung Kim, Sunny Kim, Choi were all signed as teens and went through our minor leagues.

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: The next Matsuzaka...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72
    If he is Korean then signing him shouldn't be much different than Latin American amatuers. Byung-Hung Kim, Sunny Kim, Choi were all signed as teens and went through our minor leagues.
    Thats why I asked....I think he's Japanese though

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts