+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone ever driven cross country?

Ok, I might have started this... but has anyone ever driven to NY/Mass... or that area from the west coast? How long did it take you? How much did you pay for gas?

I have to be at UMass on the 2nd and I'm thinking about driving cross country...

If I was until the morning of the 29th I gain a driver.
    If I go before I don't. I don't even know if leaving the 29th and getting to UMass on the 2nd is even a reasonable idea?
    [

NYYF Legend

Re: Has anyone ever driven cross country?

Wear a diaper so you don't have to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonYankee
    Ok, I might have started this... but has anyone ever driven to NY/Mass... or that area from the west coast? How long did it take you? How much did you pay for gas?

I have to be at UMass on the 2nd and I'm thinking about driving cross country...

If I go before I don't. I don't even know if leaving the 29th and getting to UMass on the 2nd is even a reasonable idea?
    5 days should be plenty to get there. I drove across the southern part of the country in 3 1/2 days. Gas was half the price it is now though. Just figure out how many miles you average on a tank and divide it into the number of miles from your location to Mass. Once you know how many fill ups you'll need, it will be easy to estimate it.

NYYF Legend

Driving across the country could be awfully boring by yourself. When you stop to sleep, you would most likely want to check into a motel instead of sleeping in a rest area. With another driver, you could take turns and sleep while the other is driving...cutting out time and one more expense.

You can check gas prices across the country using the gasbuddy website. It won't be cheap, but having another person to split it with defintely takes a load off you.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

I drove from NY to AZ 2 summers ago...took us 3 days. But there was like 10 drivers so we didn't stop to rest much(drove here in 4 cars)

I'll have to dig up the book we kept logs of the gas consumption in...
    My Native American name is RunsWithCrashCart.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

I'll save Archer the trouble...go with your gut.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    I'll save Archer the trouble...go with your gut.
    Thanks Sam....
    [

Give me the Zoppity mentalgidget's Avatar

Drove from SoCal to CT in 7 days but we (4 poeple, 2 cars) stopped for about 18 hours (including sleep) at the Grand Canyon, spent time at Mt. Rushmore, the Field of Dreams, the R & R Hall of fame and we spent a night in PA at a friends place.
    We never really had to hustle in any way shape or form and we had plenty of time to do pretty much everything we wanted. Plus as you can tell from the landmarks we stopped at, we drove up through AZ, CO, WY, and across SD which added mucho miles on the trip
    You can pretty much haul tail through the northern states on rt 80 & or 90
    Ah, dammit! I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez moi pancakes. Click click, bloody click pancakes!
    -- Stewie Griffin

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Is this on or off the record? (Just kidding!)

I drove from Connecticut to Florida last year and I did it driving one full day and half of another. I think driving cross country takes 3 days (giving for time to sleep and rest). I think you can do it under those conditions. I believe I filled up my car 6 times.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    Is this on or off the record? (Just kidding!)

I drove from Connecticut to Florida last year and I did it driving one full day and half of another. I think driving cross country takes 3 days (giving for time to sleep and rest). I think you can do it under those conditions. I believe I filled up my car 6 times.
    I'm quoting you!
    Hahaha, fun times.. I plan on driving from Mass to Florida w/my boyfriend for spring training next year...
    [

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I'm quoting you!
    Hahaha, fun times.. I plan on driving from Mass to Florida w/my boyfriend for spring training next year...
    You'll have to look me up. I live 5 minutes from where the Marlins and Cardinals train.
    Life is good!

it takes some serious balls to drive cross country alone. you are probably better off flying, cause u'd have to drive your car back anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Disgusting Baiting Troll j.g. Archer1979's Avatar

Go with your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324
    Cheetos

EDIT: I hate you guys.

NYYF Cy Young

I've driven across country 5 times. Gas was much cheaper then, so I couldn't tell you what it would cost you now. San Diego to Boston took me 3.5 days.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979
    Go with your car.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

After five or six hours, you'll pretty much go into a zone and forget how long you've been driving.

I've driven across country several times...it's not so bad especially now if you have Sirius or XM to help pass the time. Last year we drove from SC to Calif. We stopped in Denver to see my sis-in-law and after leaving there drove through Utah...it was beautiful and I took lots of photos. We also stopped in Nev. to see my mom and drove on the "Loneliest Road in America."
    "The future ain't what it used to be" -Yogi Berra

I've driven across small Countries.

I even walked across one Country.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Toaderly
    After five or six hours, you'll pretty much go into a zone and forget how long you've been driving.
    I don't know about that... I drive back and forth from Iowa to Alabama for school each year (about a 14 hour trip.) The entire way I'm calculating in my head how long I've driven and how long I've got to go.

I've driven from NY to California twice, and California to NY Once. It takes roughly 4.5 days - 5 days if you have a moving truck (due to the fact that you can only get about 55 MPH). If your doing it in a car, it's roughly 4 days. My cross country trip was roughly 2 years ago, so gas prices were inherently a little cheaper, but you can do the math; it's roughly 3,500 miles from one coast to the other. Take the miles per tank, and divide 3,500 from that number and you can generate a rough estimate of how many times you need to fill up. I believe I filled up on average 2 to 3 times every single day.

One important thing to note, is that it is cheaper in the heartland (right past Nevada) so you probably want to fill up more in that area, as it does get more expensive the closer you get to either coast.

Hope this helps.

-Evan
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B]"The key to being a good manager is to keep the people who hate me, away from the people who are still undecided."[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [B][SIZE=1]- Casey Stengel [/SIZE][/B]

Addicted Member

thats gunna take alooong time lol.....i cant wait to see you babe

NYYF Legend

I drove from LA --> NYC --> LA over a period of three weeks in 2002. One week over, one week packing, one week back. The hubby and I drove in shifts in an SUV heading east and then we drove separate vehicles on the way back. I forget how much gas was but because we were doing highway miles, it wasn't as bad as it might have been -- even in an SUV.

Subway will be your friend. So will caffeine strips/pills. Books on CD may help, too.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

oh man, many times, great fun, three straight summers,

of course that was 20 years ago.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    You'll have to look me up. I live 5 minutes from where the Marlins and Cardinals train.
    Sounds like you have yourself a date... three diehard Yanks fans in Florida, I'm excited!
    [

Addicted Member

My husband and I drove from Mass. to Calif. and then from Calif. back to D.C. in 1972/73. It took us about a week each way, but we stopped to do a lot of sightseeing. And got stuck in some snowstorms in Texas on the way back--biggest snowflakes I've ever seen in El Paso.

But back then gas was only about 25 cents a gallon, so I wouldn't use our costs as a basis.

Enjoy your trip if you drive. Good luck in school!
    Kathy

LET'S GO, YANKS!!!

Thread Information