+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Not one current African American Catcher in the MLB?

Today, a few of my friends and I were talking about catchers in the majors. We then struck up a conversation about African American catchers in the league, but we could not name one player.

So, is there not one African American Catcher in the MLB (currently)?

Re: Not one current African American Catcher in the MLB?

Charles Johnson was the last one i can remember

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Yankee Fan
    Today, a few of my friends and I were talking about catchers in the majors. We then struck up a conversation about African American catchers in the league, but we could not name one player.

So, is there not one African American Catcher in the MLB (currently)?
    What else do you talk about?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY

I'm a counseler at a day camp. So, the whole thing was that a few kids were playing baseball, and it just so happened one of the kids playing catcher was african american. Then someone just struck the conversation as to "Are there any black catchers currently in the Majors".

All Praises Be to Mariano destro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    The lack of Mexicans in the French Foreign Leigon.
    [B][SIZE=1][I]"Fans don't boo nobodies..." - Reggie Jackson
    [/I][/SIZE][/B]

Addicted Member

If there was one, with all the black jokes out there, I'm sure someone would say something about him seeing catchers in the squat, and it looked like he was sitting down/being lazy

NYYF Legend

I realize this was just a conversation with friends, but I've always wondered why these types of questions even matter...

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee
    I realize this was just a conversation with friends, but I've always wondered why these types of questions even matter...
    so no one should mention that there are no white running backs either? some things you just notice because they are glaring

brian leonard

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny
    so no one should mention that there are no white running backs either? some things you just notice because they are glaring
    It simply doesn't matter to me... I suppose it does to others. No big deal.

My honest opinion? I think there are no black catchers because of the pure dominance (number wise) of whites in the game and it being circumstantial that this one position is devoid of any. In the NFL I think there are no white running backs because blacks are faster and in general, superior athletically.

NYYF MVP

Washington DC (Originally from Long Island)

It has been reported that there is a general paucity of African Americans playing baseball at all... the game, demographic-wise, is largely becoming latinzed (is that a word?), largely in part to the investments teams are making in their Latin American farm systems.

My guess is that most African American communities are clustered around urban areas; baseball does not lend itself well to city streets, where basketball seems to be the dominant sport. This is a hunch, of course; I don't have any stats to back up this notion.
    "Every season brings this possibility. Every season features the promise of transcendence." - SJ Gould

Quote Originally Posted by BigCheese
    It has been reported that there is a general paucity of African Americans playing baseball at all... the game, demographic-wise, is largely becoming latinzed (is that a word?), largely in part to the investments teams are making in their Latin American farm systems.

My guess is that most African American communities are clustered around urban areas; baseball does not lend itself well to city streets, where basketball seems to be the dominant sport. This is a hunch, of course; I don't have any stats to back up this notion.
    I don't have any stats, either, but this is a perfectly reasonable surmise.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

NYYF MVP

Washington DC (Originally from Long Island)

Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    I don't have any stats, either, but this is a perfectly reasonable surmise.
    Of course, it begs the thought: "this wasn't a problem before... why is it one now?"

I suppose that basketball has gotten increasingly popular in urban centers?
    "Every season brings this possibility. Every season features the promise of transcendence." - SJ Gould

Yeah Yeah Yeah AlongCameAPrincess's Avatar

I saw this topic and I immediately smiled. There was a discussion about this in my house the other day. Everyone was trying to come up with the name of a black catcher and we just couldn't name anybody.

It was merely a curiousity, though. Obviously, it has no significance to the game and how it's played. At least I think so. The second an African American catcher gets to the Majors, the whole discussion becomes academic.

NYYF Legend

Russell Martin was born in East York, Ontario (now part of the city of Toronto). Martin grew up in Chelsea, Quebec, Canada. He graduated from Polyvalente Edouard-Montpetit High School which was the same high school attended by former teammate Eric Gagné (though Gagné is 7 years older). Martin has an African-Canadian father, Russell Martin Sr., and a white mother, singer (and actress) Suzanne Jeanson, who was born in Manitoba and has lived in Québec, near Ottawa, in recent years. His parents separated only when he was 2 years old. "I don't really remember when my parents separated, and it's probably better that way because I know kids these days go through some tough times," says Russell. Russell's father used to play saxophone in Montreal subway stations to help pay for his baseball training.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Martin

Mr. May

I always wondered why there are so many Puerto Rican catchers.

Completely agreed. At the rate things are going, pretty soon there will be no African-American ballplayers anymore. Heck...pretty soon there will be more Latino ballplayers then white players.

Yeah Yeah Yeah AlongCameAPrincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yankee Kahuna
    There was an article about this, but I can't find it! It said that a lot of Puerto Rican kids want to be catchers because they look up to Ivan Rodriguez. While that might be true for some, I doubt that's the reason PR is producing so many catchers. Or what do I know?

My god, there are no left handed catchers either. Prejudice shows no mercy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

This is a reasonable theory, but it fails to explain the demographics of pro football, which also requires a huge field.
    42 is the answer

Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

This is a good start. It is also important to mention that in order to play basketball, all you need is a basketball, a hoop, and a couple of other guys. With football, all you need is a football and a few other guys. There's more room to be inventive in order to work within the confines poverty subjects one to. With baseball, you need too much equipment, a baseball diamond, and a hell of a lot more than a few guys. Sure, back in the day kids used to play stickball, but why would kids want to play stickball anymore if they have a real football and can feel like they're actually doing something?

It's also interesting to note that among urban populations, especially those confined to poverty, there are a staggering number of fatherless children. I assume this trend really took off about 30 or 40 years ago, but I don't have any raw numbers to look at right now. Anyway, if this trend boomed 30 or 40 years ago, it would have really had the most severe impact on populations from 15 or 25 years ago until now. The reason this point is important is that baseball, more so than other sports, tends to be something that one's father passes down. I'm not sure that baseball is more conducive to father/children bonding, but it certainly appears to be more commonly used to that end than any other popular sport.

I think the bigger question is why are there still no black owners in the league???

Quote Originally Posted by The Yankee Kahuna
    Well, when one singe family produces 3, that really ups the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Huktonfonix
    This is a reasonable theory, but it fails to explain the demographics of pro football, which also requires a huge field.
    Money? Baseball's an expensive sport, and while football is too, it typically gets a lot more funding since it's so popular.

Ask Gary Sheffield why there are no black catchers. I'm sure he has a theory.

Thread Information