+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who's worth it on the Radio

I listen to guys like M&MD, Michael Kay, Mike and Mike, and Max Kellerman on the radio while at work. My question is though, who is the best in NY sports radio to listen to. Someone who has insightful information and good analysis. Also, I listen to guys like Michael Kay because he always has good guests and ESPN is good at breaking news.

Who do you guys like, and who do you suggest on the radio?
    THE EVIL EMPIRE

Re: Who's worth it on the Radio

Two that I like that werent mentioned are Brandon Tierney on 1050 7-10pm weeknights and Jodi Macdonald on 1050 Saturday 10-1pm.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by bxbomber328
    I listen to guys like M&MD, Michael Kay, Mike and Mike, and Max Kellerman on the radio while at work. My question is though, who is the best in NY sports radio to listen to. Someone who has insightful information and good analysis. Also, I listen to guys like Michael Kay because he always has good guests and ESPN is good at breaking news.

Who do you guys like, and who do you suggest on the radio?
    Max Kellerman is easily the best of this group and I'd argue the best on all the radio, not just sports talk. He's informative, has a solid grasp of statistical analysis, but never makes the listener feel like they're in a classroom when using stats to make an argument, he's not afraid to make a controvertial statement when he believes in something and can always back it up with something, and he's just fun to listen to.

I get to listen to him from work a lot, as I'm in range of 1050 up here in Stratford, CT, and I love it. Even as a Red Sox fan, I enjoy listening to him talk baseball, specifically about the Yankees. Can't recommend him enough.

Most people on here tend to knock a host because they don't agree with him. I don't look at it that way. I'm trying to be entertained. If they take a stance I don't like, I will listen provided there is a reason for that stance. I won't listen to a "talking head" with nothing behind their opinions. I'm not looking for them to give me an opinion, I'm just trying to drive home and hear some chat about the Yanks.

I don't like listening to Michael Kay. I think his show is a little forced. I also think his in-game announcing has gone down hill since his radio show started.

I will listen to Mike & the Dog because of their personalities. I rarely agree with their opinions, but it's entertaining.

Joe and Evan are painfull. Listening to this show is tough. It basically combines all the bad triats of Kay and Mike and the Dog.
    Only a Red Sox fan can look at a man in full protective gear during a fight and call him an underdog.

Brandon Tierney hands down.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Yeah, I've listened to Tireney too. I just want someone that talks some good Yankee talk, and good guests and analysis.
    THE EVIL EMPIRE

I often have to drive early in the mornings on the weekend, and I like to listen to Ed Randall's "Talking Baseball" when I get the chance. Kellerman does a real good job, and I also like Steve Somers for entertainment value moreso than substance.

NYYF Cy Young

Kay is the best, and it all falls off from there. Francesa is very jealous of him.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I liked Tierney when he used to fill in for Stephen A., but since he moved to the later timeslot, I don't usually listen. I also like Kellerman and Joe/Evan, but they're on at the same time (I usually listen to Kellerman, though I think Joe/Evan do a better show even if Kellerman is a Yankee homer and Joe & Evan are Mets fans).

M&MD is a toss up. Sometimes I can take them, sometimes I can't. They're better than SAS, though. I like Kay's interviews more than his commentary -- though he doesn't try to get information as well as M&MD do, he's much nicer to his guests.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    I often have to drive early in the mornings on the weekend, and I like to listen to Ed Randall's "Talking Baseball" when I get the chance. Kellerman does a real good job, and I also like Steve Somers for entertainment value moreso than substance.
    Ed Randall is the best baseball guy on the radio, hands down. He's not a homer and he is always respectful while still addressing controversial topics. He gets great guests and did the best Mussina interview I've ever heard (not that Moose talks a lot).

I also enjoy Steve Somers for the entertainment - but I can't believe that he got married last week - I actually thought that he was gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Addicted Member

Does Colin Cowherd get Airtime with ESPN 1050? I really like him... he is usually on point with everything... a bit opinionated at times, but thats a good radio host honestly because he will make you think about it...

Even when he is dissing the yankees (though he is a self-proclaimed yankee fan) he is on point... earlier in the year he was saying that the Red Sox were a better team not because they had a better roster, but because they had the momentum going their way while we didn't... a couple of weeks ago he said that we finally got the momentum going and had become a very dangerous team... all true facts in my honest opinion...

I like Colin and try and listen to him everyday...
    "In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."

NYYF Cy Young

I thought that Cowherd was off 1050.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Cowherd is off 1050 and was replaced by Kellerman. He never did much for me, and I'm glad I don't have to listen to him or Dan Patrick anymore. Not a Patrick fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by #9
    I also enjoy Steve Somers for the entertainment - but I can't believe that he got married last week - I actually thought that he was gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Wow, good for him. I actually thought he was gay too lol...and no, there's nothing wrong with that.

Devoted Member

i like Mike and the maddog been listenin to them for years, cant stand Kay get enough of him during Yankee games.
    [SIZE=5][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Kellerman is easily the best, but I would say the whole ESPN crew blows away 660. With ESPN you get real discussion and a fair balance as far as bias towards teams. On the Fan it's just sycophantic bull................ towards the Mets, and the few Yankee fans are self-loathers or idiots, plus they spend half the time talking about meaningless stuff.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Devoted Member

Being a Yankee fan, Can't stand listening to Chris Russo, OMG. Annoying. Max K is very informative. Being in Boston have to find good NY sports talk streaming.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by whoisthedogg
    Does Colin Cowherd get Airtime with ESPN 1050? I really like him... he is usually on point with everything... a bit opinionated at times, but thats a good radio host honestly because he will make you think about it...

Even when he is dissing the yankees (though he is a self-proclaimed yankee fan) he is on point... earlier in the year he was saying that the Red Sox were a better team not because they had a better roster, but because they had the momentum going their way while we didn't... a couple of weeks ago he said that we finally got the momentum going and had become a very dangerous team... all true facts in my honest opinion...

I like Colin and try and listen to him everyday...
    I know that a lot of people here can't stand listening to Cowherd, but I love his show. He's the one reason why I subscribe to ESPN Insider, so that I can download the segments of his show that I missed. He doesn't break down games, which he considers to be sports radio "death". He talks about controversies and issues, and sometimes talks about non-sports related subjects. Listening to his show really makes you think about issues in a totally different perspective. Finally, he's very funny and entertaining.

Mike & Mike are also good, but for some reason they don't take listeners' calls. So their show gets very repetitive by the 3rd and 4th hour. I don't feel like waking up at 6am anyways, so that can be a good thing.

I also like John Kincade on Sunday mornings and when he subs for Cowherd during the week. I liked Eric Kuselias's show on late afternoons, but now he's doing a Nascar show on ESPN2. Too bad.

Mike and the Mad Dog can be great, but they spend too much time talking with guests that I just don't care about. Sometimes they'll have a half hour interview with somebody on the Mets or Jets, for example, and it can get really boring to me. Also, whenever somebody famous from before my time passes away, they'll talk about him for hours, and I'll be bored out of my mind. Finally, they'll do things like go to the Kentucky Derby the day before the event and talk about horse racing all day. That's when I turn the show off.
    "They're going to send me back to Omaha, and I don't even live there." - Rube Baker

Mike and the Maddog are good together but Chris Russo is a complete moron.

Chris Carlin & Kim Jones are the WORST. Is this going to be Imus' replacement? - ugh. Don't get me wrong, I hated Imus - he did not fit with the rest of the sports programming and would be incredibly jarring if you fell asleep with the radio on overnight.

I too am listening to more and more 1050. The hosts there are less likely to be idiotic like the constant Kim Jones Chris Carlin bickering for bickerings sake. They sound so forced and fake - "Let's each take the opposing view to this subject so that we can insult each other and make the show more dramatic." WFAN, if you read this stuff, lose these two - esp CC.

What the hell is Kim Jones doing on a sports radio talk show? I'd rather listen to Mike and Mike in the morning.

1050 is starting to overtake WFAN in the ratings. I really don't listen to Mike and Mike cause they do a lot of other pointless stuff.
    THE EVIL EMPIRE

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    I thought that Cowherd was off 1050.
    I heard him on the radio last week when I was in Georgia.
    Die hard Yankee fan since 1974.

[URL="http://www.claybuchholzloveslaptops.blogspot.com"][/URL]

im going with max kellerman. Nothing better than a radio show almost dedicated to the yankees, boxing, and nonsense, its great.
    "Why do they call it the World Series if it is always played in teh Bronx!?"

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Mike and the Mad Dog are my favorite, but I can't listen to them for five-plus hours every day.

Michael Kay is unbelievably annoying, but he obviously talks a lot of Yankee baseball, so I listen to him for that.

Those are the two programs that I listen to the most.

Brandon Tierney, Max Kellerman, and Mark Malusis are all pretty good, too.

Jim Rome is good too.

Steven A. Smith is barely listenable, and Steve Sommers is the absolute worst.

The rest, I would say, are average.

NYYF MVP

Gotta start with the worst - steven A smith
    the guy knows crap about every sport but basketball yet attempts to think he knows what he is talking about, and hes on right in the smack of middle of work which just kills me cuz the Fan comes in fuzzy over here.
    I dont mind M&MD but I barely agree with them too and Chris seems like he never knows what hes talking about and Mike thinks that he is always right.
    I crack up from Shmoooze Sommers, dont mind listening to him.
    I love Mike and Mike though, they are smart and entertaining.

Thread Information