+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Buying a house is a pain in the ass!!!

Never in my life have I suffered sooooo much stress as in buying a house. For the past couple of months, my wife and I have been dealing with idiot realtors and stubborn sellers. We were closing in on one house, and it seemed that we were going to close very soon. Now, we hit a wall with the owner. Apparently, he was insulted with our offer, considering that we were moving CLOSER to his asking price. Add to that, he needs to relocate to Buffalo ASAP. Finally, his realtor agrees with our offer, but she calls the homeowner "stubborn." I don't get it! I'm afraid that we may have to restart our search again if this guy doesn't take our final offer. Argh! This whole thing infuriates me! Sorry folks, I needed to vent.

Released Outright

Re: Buying a house is a pain in the ass!!!

I know your pain. Console yourself with the fact that it will absolutely be worth it once it's over and you are enjoying your new place.

do they have extortion in NY? works well here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Yes, it is a pain in the ass. Visualize in your mind your firsts together in your own home: first meal, first house party, the place where you could watch your kids grow up and the first night together in your own bed.

Serenity!!!!!!!!!
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

NYYF Triple Crown

If he's relocating, he may have a buyout option from his company and your bid may be under what he would be getting if he does not sell to you and accepts the buyout. It may be worth it for you to get a relocation appraisal done on the home. It is different then a bank appraisal, as it places a value on the home based on it having to sell in 60-90 days and is generally a lower appraisal then your typical bank appraisal, which generally uses a different calculation. Most companies determine their "buyout" price based on it and if you can determine close enough what the buyout is you may be able to bid slightly higher then the buyout and grab the house.
    The 11th Commandment - "Thou shall NEVER count out The New York Yankees"

It's very difficult, but you need to hold firm on your "final" offer. There should be plenty of houses out there, although I know it's easy to fall in love with the one. Make an honest offer you can live with and stick to it. If the seller is yanking your chain (especially if this is a counter-counter offer) - f*ck 'em. YOU have the advantage here... not the seller.
    Thanks for the memories, George. You made the Yankees what they are today... Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown Bomber
    idiot realtors
    Word of advice - get a buyer's agent. A regular agent represents both buyers and sellers which creates a lot of conflicts, the most obvious of which is that they make the most money when you buy a house from a seller they rep. A buyer's agent will show you all the houses on the market that meet your criteria and isn't afraid to point out all the flaws under the surface, the same flaws many regular agent hopes you don't notice on your own. After one time using a buyer's agent I'll never use a regular agent again (except to sell of course).
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Robert Nesta Marley

NYYF Legend

Dude, you're in the process of buying a house! Congratulations right there! Everything's a pain in the butt these days but it's worth sticking it out considering you're getting your very own house at the end.

NYYF Legend

Friends of ours are in the process of buying a house right now. The sellers are being very agreeable, so thankfully they are not experiencing what you are, but we dealt with idiot sellers almost 10 years ago when we bought our house.

We had looked around enough to know that this was what we wanted, so we held tight and got the house for the price we wanted. But it took 6 months after signing contracts, to finally close.

Good luck and hang in there. I hope you are able to get the house you want.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

I have recently felt your pain ... it is all worth it, though.
    Just one bit of advice. Hold firm to your offer if that's the most you want to pay for it. If they really need to sell it, they will most likely relent, as my sellers did. I just knew before the offer-counter-offer--counter-counter-offer talks started the max I wanted to pay. I stuck with it and they finally agreed to it.
    Good luck in your search for your new home!
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

Never in my life have I suffered sooooo much stress as in buying a house. For the past couple of months, my wife and I have been dealing with idiot realtors and stubborn sellers. We were closing in on one house, and it seemed that we were going to close very soon. Now, we hit a wall with the owner. Apparently, he was insulted with our offer, considering that we were moving CLOSER to his asking price. Add to that, he needs to relocate to Buffalo ASAP. Finally, his realtor agrees with our offer, but she calls the homeowner "stubborn." I don't get it! I'm afraid that we may have to restart our search again if this guy doesn't take our final offer. Argh! This whole thing infuriates me! Sorry folks, I needed to vent.
    You really need to evaluate his asking price. Is it fair? I know that if I were to sell a house, I would put my asking price VERY close to the minimum I would take and I would not budge. Maybe he's the same way. If you were to buy and sell the house right away, how much would you get for it? That's an indication of how fair the price is.

Finally once he accepts your offer (if he does) you will have the usual inspections and they will find problems (that's what they are paid to do, and they will). These will cost the owner $$ and he may refuse to do anything. I would. I would sell my house "as is" on the basis that I disclosed all the problems before hand and that's how you should be buying the house. You think you are stressed out now?. At that point it will magnify. Enjoy this as a necessary rite of passage.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Gary Stanley also feels your pain

Never in my life have I suffered sooooo much stress as in buying a house.
    My heart pumps purple piss for you.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    My heart pumps purple piss for you.
    What caused that ? I'd like to try it myself!
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymagee
    What caused that ? I'd like to try it myself!
    Someone having the ability to buy a house and calling it the most stressful time they've ever had will do it.

If it's the most stressful time in your life, consider yourself extremely lucky my friend.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    I know your pain. Console yourself with the fact that it will absolutely be worth it once it's over and you are enjoying your new place.
    that is, if the house isnt haunted.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JeterRodriguezSheff
    that is, if the house isnt haunted.
    That would only make it better.

Thanks for hearing me out everyone. I really appreciate all of your awesome advice, statements, info, etc. We are closer in getting a nice house in Jersey, which is tough to find, but once my wife sees the house, then we are a-ok! Thanks again.

Someone having the ability to buy a house and calling it the most stressful time they've ever had will do it.

If it's the most stressful time in your life, consider yourself extremely lucky my friend.
    Have a sh*tty day Hitman?

NYYF Legend

Thanks for hearing me out everyone. I really appreciate all of your awesome advice, statements, info, etc. We are closer in getting a nice house in Jersey, which is tough to find, but once my wife sees the house, then we are a-ok! Thanks again.
    I am not quite sure what you mean by that. There are millions of nice houses in NJ. If you haven't found many, you've been looking in the wrong areas. NJ is a much maligned state but we allow it to keep the rif-raf out. It actually is one of the most beautiful and desireable states in the nation. You'll find out, IF you wind up here.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    I am not quite sure what you mean by that. There are millions of nice houses in NJ. If you haven't found many, you've been looking in the wrong areas. NJ is a much maligned state but we allow it to keep the rif-raf out. It actually is one of the most beautiful and desireable states in the nation. You'll find out, IF you wind up here.

Andy
    Andy,

I grew up in Jersey. Trust me, I know the difference between crappy areas and nice areas. What I meant is that the houses we have been previously looking have had major problems, i.e. sewer issues, foundation problems, turned septic tanks, etc. However, we found one out in Sussex and we really want the house.

NYYF Legend

Andy,

I grew up in Jersey. Trust me, I know the difference between crappy areas and nice areas. What I meant is that the houses we have been previously looking have had major problems, i.e. sewer issues, foundation problems, turned septic tanks, etc. However, we found one out in Sussex and we really want the house.
    I truly wish you the best of luck. There are few better pleasures than home ownership (as well as headaches)

Have a sh*tty day Hitman?
    I have alot of sh!tty days. You want stress? Try my job out for a week. You'll wanna buy 100 houses.

NYYF Legend

I have alot of sh!tty days. You want stress? Try my job out for a week. You'll wanna buy 100 houses.
    Hitman, take it from me, I have had lots of experience. Stress doesn't exist except where you yourself create it. If you don't accept stress it will not exist. I am as sure of that as I am of my name and I am equally sure that you won't accept my statement.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    Hitman, take it from me, I have had lots of experience. Stress doesn't exist except where you yourself create it. If you don't accept stress it will not exist. I am as sure of that as I am of my name and I am equally sure that you won't accept my statement.

Andy
    Andy... I have been at this company for 13 years and I've absolutely had it. I typically would agree with you but it's gotten to me, I'm buried in stress, and I can't get out. I'm working on getting out of this hell hole, but until I get what I want I have to deal with it. The stress is here because no matter how much I hate this place, no matter how much I don't want to care, I do. Me caring is why there is stress because we are so shorthanded, and customers just keep piling on crap that wastes our time. And I have to get it done because that's just how I am.

Thread Information