+ Reply to Thread
Page 148 of 151 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 3766
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: So, who got an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    It requires at least ioS4.2.

Any downsides to upgrading to 5?
    No. You're still on iOS 4.2?! woah! I'd definitely do the upgrade asap, iOS 5 is a pretty major upgrade from 4.2...

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    No. You're still on iOS 4.2?! woah! I'd definitely do the upgrade asap, iOS 5 is a pretty major upgrade from 4.2...

I'm actually on 4.0, I think

Thank you, sir. I'll do it tonight.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

I got it done. iOS 5.0

Lost all my apps, though. It asked me if I wanted to save them during the process, and I said yes, but they disappeared. Not a huge deal...only 1 was a pay app...

Wonder what I did wrong?

Have GD Audio on the phone Will be the first time ever that I can listen to a Yanks game on my drive home Hope it's loud enough, though...
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

I got it done. iOS 5.0

Lost all my apps, though. It asked me if I wanted to save them during the process, and I said yes, but they disappeared. Not a huge deal...only 1 was a pay app...

Wonder what I did wrong?

Have GD Audio on the phone Will be the first time ever that I can listen to a Yanks game on my drive home Hope it's loud enough, though...
    they are saved on your computer and in the cloud. you can redownload them anytime you want
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    they are saved on your computer and in the cloud. you can redownload them anytime you want

So I should enable iCloud? Then I would be able to get them with just my phone (ie, without it being connected to my computer)?

I defaulted iCloud to NO. It asks for a password. Do I just use my iTunes one?

Sorry for being so thick

PS Can a 3G be upgraded to iOS 5?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

So I should enable iCloud? Then I would be able to get them with just my phone (ie, without it being connected to my computer)?

I defaulted iCloud to NO. It asks for a password. Do I just use my iTunes one?

Sorry for being so thick

yea just your itunes password. you dont need icloud active to redownload apps, just go into the app store app and go to the purchased section under updates and all the apps you have downloaded will be in there

yea just your itunes password. you dont need icloud active to redownload apps, just go into the app store app and go to the purchased section under updates and all the apps you have downloaded will be in there

Thank you!!!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

EDIT: You mean on my Mac, not on the phone, right?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

EDIT: You mean on my Mac, not on the phone, right?
    No it's on your phone too

No. I've got a 3G and am holding out for the 5 (which better well have 4G LTE or I'm going to go postal on Apple).
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

So, has anybody tried Absinthe, the new untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 yet?

Also, I've been tempted to jailbreak my iPhone a few times to install a couple of Cydia apps I like, but never had the balls after hearing about other user's experiences with either performance issues, stability problems, faster battery drains, or all of the above, after the jailbreak.

Anyone have good or bad experiences? Is it worth it just to install a few apps that I really like and are pretty useful but can honestly live without?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    So, has anybody tried Absinthe, the new untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 yet?

Also, I've been tempted to jailbreak my iPhone a few times to install a couple of Cydia apps I like, but never had the balls after hearing about other user's experiences with either performance issues, stability problems, faster battery drains, or all of the above, after the jailbreak.

Anyone have good or bad experiences? Is it worth it just to install a few apps that I really like and are pretty useful but can honestly live without?
    I'm jailbroken on 5.1.1 and it was a breeze for me. Honestly, I've jailbroken every iPhone I've had (and I've had them all) and I've never had a problem with the jailbreak or restoring my phone when I wanted to get rid of the jailbreak.

My biggest complaint may be the battery (which probably depends on what you are planning on installing), but it's definitely worth it for me. I love having the options to add tweaks & change thems and there are some apps that I hate not having when I'm not jailbroken (bitesms for one).

I've never experienced stability or performance issues though (and with something like sbsettings, you can respring, which I've found actually improved the performance). I say go for it - when you realize how easy it is, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Any time a new jailbreak comes out, you always hear the bad stories (I find that people who have a problem tend to be louder than those who don't ).

Quote Originally Posted by iYankFan4 View Post
    I'm jailbroken on 5.1.1 and it was a breeze for me. Honestly, I've jailbroken every iPhone I've had (and I've had them all) and I've never had a problem with the jailbreak or restoring my phone when I wanted to get rid of the jailbreak.

My biggest complaint may be the battery (which probably depends on what you are planning on installing), but it's definitely worth it for me. I love having the options to add tweaks & change thems and there are some apps that I hate not having when I'm not jailbroken (bitesms for one).

I've never experienced stability or performance issues though (and with something like sbsettings, you can respring, which I've found actually improved the performance). I say go for it - when you realize how easy it is, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Any time a new jailbreak comes out, you always hear the bad stories (I find that people who have a problem tend to be louder than those who don't ).
    Thanks for the good info. I'm seriously considering it and this sure helps. What you're saying makes sense about battery performance as well; it probably has to do more with the app that's installed and the associated services (i.e. location) than anything else.

My iPhone 4s runs like a charm and that's probably why I've been hesitant. There have been a couple of apps I've had my eye on, so I might pull the trigger soon. Thanks again for the advice.

You should absolutely jailbreak your phone. I don't even know how people use their phones without doing it; it's just...so..bland.

NYYF Legend

My old laptop crapped out, so I'm getting a new one. In the meantime, I'm using my little notebook. I tried to synch my phone with it and it said I would have to erase my phone first. How do I synch my phone with my new laptop without have to erase my current iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    My old laptop crapped out, so I'm getting a new one. In the meantime, I'm using my little notebook. I tried to synch my phone with it and it said I would have to erase my phone first. How do I synch my phone with my new laptop without have to erase my current iPhone?
    When you plug your phone in, it should show up in iTunes. You should be able to right click (if you are on a PC) on where the phone is listed - You should create a back-up of the phone which saves it in the new iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    You should absolutely jailbreak your phone. I don't even know how people use their phones without doing it; it's just...so..bland.
    I keep telling myself that same thing, especially since there are some useful (and fun) apps out there.

Still haven't done it, but I'll get there.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Stupid iPhone questions:

if I purchased an iPhone 4 (Sprint), would I be able to update the software for free over the course of my two-year contract?

If not, how useful is a two-year-old iPhone?

What does the "care plan" cover? Loss, damage?

I'm almost at the end of my contract (and my patience) with Sprint, but they offer the only truly unlimited data, which I really need, and being the cheapest also helps. I'm really ticked off with them because I bought this phone (HTC Hero) two years ago, and little did I know a)this model was actually an older model of the phone and there was a newer Hero model with an updated Android version in stores when I bought my phone, and b) I wouldn't be able to update my Android version throughout my contract, which they let Evo users do. So I'm using a 3 year old "smart phone".

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    If you're not going to wait for the iPhone 5, I recommend you get in quick, so you're grandfathered into the unlimited data plan before that changes (and it eventually will).
    I've got a question about unlimited grandfathering. I'm still using an iPhone 3G (not the 3Gs, 4 or 4S but the ancient 3G) and am (1) on the unlimited data plan and (2) planning to upgrade when the 5 comes out. Do you know if AT&T will let me grandfather into the unlimited data plan if I sign a new contract when I get the 5 or does grandfathering end if I sign a new contract? If by signing a new contract I end up un-grandfathered, then I suppose one option would be to not sign a contract and instead pay full price for the iPhone.

Been an Apple guy for 8 years............have all the gadgets.........retiring at month`s end and will be giving up my phone(not iPhone)..............is it really worth getting?

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I've got a question about unlimited grandfathering. I'm still using an iPhone 3G (not the 3Gs, 4 or 4S but the ancient 3G) and am (1) on the unlimited data plan and (2) planning to upgrade when the 5 comes out. Do you know if AT&T will let me grandfather into the unlimited data plan if I sign a new contract when I get the 5 or does grandfathering end if I sign a new contract? If by signing a new contract I end up un-grandfathered, then I suppose one option would be to not sign a contract and instead pay full price for the iPhone.
    I'm not an AT&T customer, but my guess is that once you sign a new contract you won't be able to carry over the unlimited data plan.

If that's the case, switching to Sprint might be another option you might want to pursue, depending on their coverage and signal in your area. I see no problem with the data speed or reception within the NY metro area.

Edit: see teknetic's following post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I was grandfathered in from the 3G to the i4. I'm currently data-capped because I can't use wi-fi in my house, but that's another story.

I was grandfathered in from the 3G to the i4. I'm currently data-capped because I can't use wi-fi in my house, but that's another story.
    So, under AT&T's data plan "unlimited" has it's restrictions?

So, just to be clear, when you upgraded from the 3G to the 4, you also signed a new contract?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Stupid iPhone questions:....

What does the "care plan" cover? Loss, damage?....
    Sprint does not offer insurance for the iPhone. I have 2 iPhones on my Sprint plan, so I know this (unless they changed something in the last few months). You have to buy Apple Care Plus when you buy the phone. It's $100 for 2 years (you can buy it from Sprint when you get the phone, but you have to go to an Apple store for repairs, etc, just like any other Apple product).

Apple Care Plus covers a broken screen ONCE in the 2 year coverage window. After than, you have to pay out of pocket (so far, no broken screens here, knock wood). It covers water damage, but you have to pay $50 for a new phone (my daughter just did this).

My biggest concern is that it does NOT cover loss or theft. So if you lose the iPhone, your sh*t out of luck until your next upgrade, unless you have a spare phone laying around or want to lay our $600 for a new iPhone.

AND, Apple Care Plus is only good for 2 years. It cannot be renewed. So unless you are planning on upgrading your iPhone every 2 years, keep that in mind. You could also get some kind of third party insurance after that, too I suppose.

Just some things to consider.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Thread Information