+ Reply to Thread
Page 150 of 151 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 147 148 149 150 151 LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 3766
    NYYF Legend

Re: So, who got an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by iYankFan4 View Post
    Nope. Backing it up will save everything as it is.
    Didn't work, lost all of my music. It's still in my iTunes, but it's going to take forever to pick and choose

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Don't they usually have a conference in June to announce new stuff? iPhone 5 anytime soon?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Don't they usually have a conference in June to announce new stuff? iPhone 5 anytime soon?
    Saw on the news this morning that Apple plans to announce some new products today. No word on what they are.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Saw on the news this morning that Apple plans to announce some new products today. No word on what they are.
    iOS 6 is coming out this fall and looks incredible. Huge upgrade. I'm psyched.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    You should absolutely jailbreak your phone. I don't even know how people use their phones without doing it; it's just...so..bland.
    Ok, I'm comfortable with the phone enough to know the basics of this OS.

Can you give cliffs notes on what jailbreaking enables? Can you bootleg iOS 6?
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    iOS 6 is coming out this fall and looks incredible. Huge upgrade. I'm psyched.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/
    Eh... I wasn't particularly overwhelmed. I'll wait and see what the actual phone looks like (iPhone 5) before I pass all my judgement though. Other than the Siri upgrade, it's nothing to write home about, and to me Siri is fairly useless (of course that's just a personal feeling).

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Well I got a MacBook. I have an ipad, next I guess I should get an iphone so I can have all my stuff synced easily. I am under contract until January so hopefully by then they'll have announced the iphone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Eh... I wasn't particularly overwhelmed. I'll wait and see what the actual phone looks like (iPhone 5) before I pass all my judgement though. Other than the Siri upgrade, it's nothing to write home about, and to me Siri is fairly useless (of course that's just a personal feeling).
    I hear this a lot, but I'm finding it useful, especially with setting up calendar items on the fly.
    Team Northern Lights

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

You clearly don't have a small child -- my #1 use for Siri is asking it stupid questions to amuse my son.

I'm glad they're finally adding a navigation system that looks like it might be as good as the one I had on my Android phone 3 years ago.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    You clearly don't have a small child -- my #1 use for Siri is asking it stupid questions to amuse my son.

I'm glad they're finally adding a navigation system that looks like it might be as good as the one I had on my Android phone 3 years ago.
    My kids are not young and they still find Siri amusing. I actually do as well.

I am happy to hear they will have a new nav system. My daughter is not happy with anything she has found so far. I use Google maps with navigation on my Android phone and I have been very happy.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Did you take a close look? For an upgrade there are lots of good additions, not just minor tweaks and bug fixes.

In Maps there's a new GPS with turn by turn directions and 3D maps. Flyover looks pretty cool. Phone now has a "do not disturb" feature and the ability to send instant messages and reminders. You can now enable FaceTime under cellular connectivity, and not only wifi. Mail has a VIP inbox and any mail from a "VIP" (boss?) will pop up in a banner, even on your locked screen. And Siri will now have sports scores, stats, movies, restaurants, etc., all built in and tied to other apps like Yelp and the new GPS.

Personally, I make use of Siri - reminders, calendar, searches, messages, informational etc. And with iOS 6 I won't have to open up or be directed to Safari, ESPN or any app to check out a particular score, stat or schedule.

iOS 6 discussion/demo 68:55 into the keynote:
    http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

NYYF Cy Young

Did you take a close look? For an upgrade there are lots of good additions, not just minor tweaks and bug fixes.

In Maps there's a new GPS with turn by turn directions and 3D maps. Flyover looks pretty cool. Phone now has a "do not disturb" feature and the ability to send instant messages and reminders. You can now enable FaceTime under cellular connectivity, and not only wifi. Mail has a VIP inbox and any mail from a "VIP" (boss?) will pop up in a banner, even on your locked screen. And Siri will now have sports scores, stats, movies, restaurants, etc., all built in and tied to other apps like Yelp and the new GPS.

Personally, I make use of Siri - reminders, calendar, searches, messages, informational etc. And with iOS 6 I won't have to open up or be directed to Safari, ESPN or any app to check out a particular score, stat or schedule.

iOS 6 discussion/demo 68:55 into the keynote:

[url]http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/126pihbedvcoihbefvbhjkbvsefbg/event/index.html
    Yes, I took a very close look, I've been on the iPhone since the 2G/Edge phone came out and the past 2 years or so I've seen Apple falling behind their competition (imo of course).

Outside of the Siri additions all of these things have been available for years on Android and jailbroken iPhones. I have no personal use for Facetime, but I'd really like to see how it works on 3G.... especially in big cities like NYC where the service is slow to begin with. I have the feeling it will essentially be useless on 3G (which was my experience using a jailbrake that allows Facetime to work over 3G)

Again, as for Siri, I personally don't like it, I can do what I'm trying to do faster by using my fingers than trying to talk to Siri and get it right. I think in theory its really fun and cool, but in practice it's more inconvenient and annoying than anything. The only time I ever use it is to show other people how it "works" and I know quite a few people who only use it for that same reason.

Yes, I took a very close look, I've been on the iPhone since the 2G/Edge phone came out and the past 2 years or so I've seen Apple falling behind their competition (imo of course).

Outside of the Siri additions all of these things have been available for years on Android and jailbroken iPhones. I have no personal use for Facetime, but I'd really like to see how it works on 3G.... especially in big cities like NYC where the service is slow to begin with. I have the feeling it will essentially be useless on 3G (which was my experience using a jailbrake that allows Facetime to work over 3G)

Again, as for Siri, I personally don't like it, I can do what I'm trying to do faster by using my fingers than trying to talk to Siri and get it right. I think in theory its really fun and cool, but in practice it's more inconvenient and annoying than anything. The only time I ever use it is to show other people how it "works" and I know quite a few people who only use it for that same reason.
    I hear ya and see your point, but for those iPhones that aren't jailbroken, and even though Android might have already had these, these features didn't exist prior and it was anybody's guess if they ever would.

As one example, I already have the Garmin GPS app (had a $29 special; it's now $49), it's feature-rich, and it's as good or better than some of their dedicated units. Still, I'm glad that Apple is finally adding a navigation app, even if it already existed in Android as a free app. I suppose it's progress, plus they aren't under the constraints of Google, who aren't exactly in a rush to improve the iPhone experience. The iPhone is already a better smartphone than any Android, quality and otherwise IMO, so these new features are plusses.

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

I hustled my boss into buying me an iPhone. I'll get it probably tomorrow, or Friday.

(they're also gonna pay for the monthly bill too. Boom!)

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    I hustled my boss into buying me an iPhone. I'll get it probably tomorrow, or Friday.

Nice. Too bad you probably won't be able to come back and ask for an iPhone 5 when it comes out in a few months (if the rumors can be believed).
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post

Don't drop it down the elevator shaft.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post

Yeah, you better hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Nice. Too bad you probably won't be able to come back and ask for an iPhone 5 when it comes out in a few months (if the rumors can be believed).

I know. I was waiting to find out when the 5 comes out, but there isn't a set date and I really can't wait any longer with not having a smartphone for work.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post

I don't use the elevator at work. So ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Who cares? There's always a new phone coming. It's a free phone with a free plan.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Bump. I just got the iPhone 3 from AT&T. It's the iPhone 3, but it's 99 cents. So far I still prefer the Droid I had.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Bump. I just got the iPhone 3 from AT&T. It's the iPhone 3, but it's 99 cents. So far I still prefer the Droid I had.
    Really? that surprises me...why Nicki?

I have the original droid - so old but I never really liked it..I'm waiting for the new iphone - hopefully September release? and getting that one...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Really? that surprises me...why Nicki?

I have the original droid - so old but I never really liked it..I'm waiting for the new iphone - hopefully September release? and getting that one...
    The text input on the Droid is so much better. And it offers so much more home screen customization. These may have been improved on the iPhone 4.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    The text input on the Droid is so much better. And it offers so much more home screen customization. These may have been improved on the iPhone 4.
    My kids swear the iphone has better text input than my Droid. In fact, Shannen hates my Slide It text input (I prefer it to Swype). I just think it's a matter of what you get used to. I can't imagine typing every letter when I can Slide It.

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    My kids swear the iphone has better text input than my Droid. In fact, Shannen hates my Slide It text input (I prefer it to Swype). I just think it's a matter of what you get used to. I can't imagine typing every letter when I can Slide It.
    Maybe it's because I have the iPhone 3. I have to use the special characters key for all numbers and characters besides the period, and for that I have to press space twice. And there isn't a list of words to choose from, only longer words and when I blatantly misspell or typo something.

Thread Information