+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 10 Most Overrated Players

Quote Originally Posted by cajunyankee
    Starks' postulate:
    Got to disagree here-- The Player can be overrated if we thought he was going to suck to begin with, and performs at a suckier, or suckiest, level.
    I got to agree here. For example, the Adrian Beltre signing in the 2005 offseason. He had one great year in 2004. When he signed that big money deal, I knew he was not going to do good in Seattle because he was just a one year wonder which was his contract year and that he had underperformed before 2004.
    Quest for #28

Starks' postulate:
    Got to disagree here-- The Player can be overrated if we thought he was going to suck to begin with, and performs at a suckier, or suckiest, level.
    Jeff Weaver, everyone knew that wouldn't work out well.

But could anyone guess he would suck so much?

You know me: down with OBP jeterismyhomeboy's Avatar

Starks' postulate:
    With this in mind, I immediately name Carl Pavano. In 2004 everybody wanted this guy. In 2007, you couldn't trade a batboy for him. He still gets on the list because at the beginning of this year he actually pitched and got some trusting Yankee fans (like myself) to believe he would be talented enough to stay. Sadly, he proved yet again that a stubbed toe is enough to keep him from the mound.
    “You can’t ascribe our fall from grace to any single event or set of circumstances. You can’t lose what you lacked at conception.”

Quote Originally Posted by diehardyankeefan
    I got to agree here. For example, the Adrian Beltre signing in the 2005 offseason. He had one great year in 2004. When he signed that big money deal, I knew he was not going to do good in Seattle because he was just a one year wonder which was his contract year and that he had underperformed before 2004.
    Looking back it is easy to say this. However at the time to was no reason to think he wouldn't continue to be an elite player. In 1998, BA rated him the 3rd best prospect in all of baseball at the age of 19, he was 30th in 1997 at the age of just 18. In 1998 he was rated ahead of Kerry Wood (4), Aramis Ramirez (5), Miguel Tejada (10), Todd Helton (11), Eric Chavez (30), Troy Glaus (36), Roy Halladay (38), Vernon Wells (52), and Magglio Ordonez (56). He tore up Rookie Ball in 1995 when he was 16 years old, pulled the Phil Hughes in '98, and put up OPS' of .780 and .835 at 20 and 21 years old. He was a can't miss player until the botched emergency appendectamy and was never the same until 2004. There was no reason to think he wasn't the real deal. Players don't typically put up an OPS of over 1.000 while being one of the best defenders at their position in the game at age 25 and flame out.

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

I haven't read the book but I understand Stark's lineup of "Overrated Players" is

C-Benito Satiago
    1b Steve Garvey
    2B Steve Sax
    SS Phil Rizzuto
    3B Graig Nettles
    lF Lou Brock
    CF Andruw Jones
    RF Dave Winfield
    P Nolan Ryan
    P Sandy Koufax
    P Lee Smith

I don't like the phrase "overrated" because it is so vague. I suppose the thread with most of these players is "their teams won so people must think these guys are the reason."

Stark speaks about "The Derek Jeter Gene" which some players lack. But many of the guys listed: Brock, Koufax, Garvey were great in the postseason. Sax may have hit only .267 against the Mets in the 1988 NLCS but he drove them crazy stealing 5 bases. Nettles began the Yankee comeback in the 1978 World Series with a game 3 defensive display that I would love to see again (are you listening YES or are you about to show the Giambi grand slam again?).
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

hmm...
    I'm guessing we could insert Davey Lopes & Ron Cey to complete the infield, watch that fat S>O>B Lasorda come blobbing out of the dugout for an argument, and shut this thread down for good.
    "Anything else is a failure, and I know that."

NYYF Legend

It's hard to produce an argument with the way he's been playing this year.
    “I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.”
    - Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

I think his lists are pretty bad. He lists some extremely patient hitters as being overrated along with some hackers. There seems to be no consistency besides the overrated players are all off to slow starts. Also, JD Drew not makin an All Star game despite being, you know, good, points to him being underrated not overrated.

Addicted Member

I'd like to see a thread called Most Overrated RETIRED Players. Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, and Cal Ripkin Jr. should be at the top of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    I'd like to see a thread called Most Overrated RETIRED Players. Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan, and Cal Ripkin Jr. should be at the top of that list.
    Start one, I'm sure you will get people talking.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Who's doing the rating? If you're not a fan of, say, Jim Rice, is he overrated because so many people want him in the Hall of Fame, or is he quite correctly rated because he's not in?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527
    Start one, I'm sure you will get people talking.
    I am kinda shy about starting a thread that will cause so must contraversy, especially since I am new and just got here.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S
    Who's doing the rating? If you're not a fan of, say, Jim Rice, is he overrated because so many people want him in the Hall of Fame, or is he quite correctly rated because he's not in?
    I'm just judging on ability. When I say overrated, I say based on fan's perception. You don't know how many people I have run into that have said Nolan Ryan is the greatest pitcher in their lifetime. In '99, when fans voted on the All-Century Team, I believe he was the top vote getter in pitchers. What a joke. I am 34 years old, and might not put him in the top 5 of my lifetime, let alone all-time.

NYYF Legend

I am kinda shy about starting a thread that will cause so must contraversy, especially since I am new and just got here.
    Plus, you have to be here for 6 months to start a thread anyway.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee
    Plus, you have to be here for 6 months to start a thread anyway.
    Maybe someone can start one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze
    Chone Figgins......at least on this board.
    But...but he's a .381 hitter at Yankee Stadium

Thread Information