+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Regular

4/29/07 - The Armpit Game!

Runners at second and third, two outs, M's 1 KC 1, bottom of the 7th and Willie "Yes I'm Scrappy but I Can't Hit" Bloomquist at the plate. On an 3-2 pitch, he swings and tips the ball. The catcher LaRue held on to the ball. Inning over.

...but was it?

The homeplate umpire kept the Royals on the field. There was a conference. Finally, they ruled that the at bat would continue. Willie doubled on the next pitch to provide the winning runs.

Apparently LaRue trapped the ball against his armpit and the rule says that a foul tip must be caught cleanly in the glove or bare hand to be an out. I had never heard of that before. The Royals fan in our row (who drove up from Portland just to see the game) couldn't believe this was happening.

Re: 4/29/07 - The Armpit Game!

Haha, that's hilarious. Another way for the Royals to take a tough loss, I guess.
    Studying for the USMLE Step 2 Exam, but still cheering hard for the Yankees.
    The reason Kei Igawa looked so good in Japan: [URL="http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html"]http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html[/URL]

NYYF MVP

Only the Royals.

Their manager should have gone out onto the field and said "Look, we're the Royals. We've already invented 101 creative ways to lose a ballgame. Give us a break, huh?"
    I'm a girl.

Sox/Pats fan.

Released Outright

Nice. A rule I didn't know to tuck away for future use.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    Nice. A rule I didn't know to tuck away for future use.

Yeah, no one could figure out what was going on. I finally had to use my cellphone's web browser to find out why it wasn't a K. I've probably watched 2000 baseball games in my life and I've never heard that before.

Addicted Member

I think it was Casey Stengel, but it could have been any number of people, who said that if you go to a baseball game, you're always going to see something you've never seen before.

I can't remember a 2-3-1 double play before yesterday's Yankee game.
    Read the Daily News' [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/"]Touching Base[/URL], now in blog form!

Quote Originally Posted by SpecMotors
    I think it was Casey Stengel, but it could have been any number of people, who said that if you go to a baseball game, you're always going to see something you've never seen before.

There was an unassisted triple play that the Rockies pulled this past weekend . Unbelievable.
    Studying for the USMLE Step 2 Exam, but still cheering hard for the Yankees.
    The reason Kei Igawa looked so good in Japan: [URL="http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html"]http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html[/URL]

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saccomano
    There was an unassisted triple play that the Rockies pulled this past weekend . Unbelievable.
    Not to mention the Indians-Orioles game where the run didn't count, then did about three innings later.
    Read the Daily News' [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/"]Touching Base[/URL], now in blog form!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saccomano
    I saw that at least once. Ron Hansen did it, back in 1960 something.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SpecMotors

I bet I have seen 5000+ baseball games in the past almost 40 years, and I do not recall seeing a 2-3-1 DP. I also never heard about the "armpit" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    I bet I have seen 5000+ baseball games in the past almost 40 years, and I do not recall seeing a 2-3-1 DP. I also never heard about the "armpit" rule.
    You go to over 125 games a year? That's impressive.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripePride
    You go to over 125 games a year? That's impressive.
    You do know about televised games, right?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    You do know about televised games, right?
    What is this "televised" you speak of?

Obviously I read that as seeing games live, don't mind me, I have moments sometimes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripePride
    What is this "televised" you speak of?

Obviously I read that as seeing games live, don't mind me, I have moments sometimes.
    Yes, I meant TV to be included.

I normally get to about a dozen Yankee games a year, and between the Staten Island Yankees and the Trenton Thunder, I get to another 20-25 games. The rest are on TV.

Thread Information