+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In Praise of John Flaherty

Thought I’d posit that John Flaherty is turning into a pretty damn good announcer/color guy. He has good insights and a surprisingly measured tone for someone who hasn’t been doing this very long. IMHO, he is SO MUCH BETTER than Al “Cigarette” Leiter that it just isn’t funny. I cannot stand Al’s whiny, “I know it all”, “How many times do I have to say this”, “I’m saying this so this is the way things are” tone. I know, I know, some will say that he gets frustrated with Kaye, but the person who ultimately suffers is the listener. While Leiter does have good things to say on occasion, I really cannot take his ego-filled, condescending tone for another season. For everything about Leiter that rubs me wrong, and there are many (not the least of which is the rumor that his presence is why Kitty has retired for good), Flaherty is the exact opposite. Here’s to hoping they use him for more and more games.

Re: In Praise of John Flaherty

I agree, my ideal broadcasting team right now would be Singleton, Girardi and Flaherty. The chance of a 3-man booth (including 2 former Yankees catchers) without Kay around however are slim to none.

Released Outright

I really like Flaherty, Girardi and Leiter along with Singleton, of course. Now if we could just find a way to get rid of Kay.....

i miss Jim Kaat.

NYYF Legend

Kay is getting worse. Although the only other announcers I see are the espn ones so I give him some slack.

But yesterday I watched a Met game because my roommate was, and while their announcers are all over the place and go off on tangents I will admit it was more entertaining, less pretentious, and overall more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern51
    I agree, my ideal broadcasting team right now would be Singleton, Girardi and Flaherty. The chance of a 3-man booth (including 2 former Yankees catchers) without Kay around however are slim to none.
    Yes, I fully agree on Girardi, but figure he is but a fired manager away from getting another kind of call.

Quote Originally Posted by aayankeesfan
    i miss Jim Kaat.
    Me, too. Big time

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

they should get john sterling to broadcast.
    that guy is da bomb, although i won't be able to listen to him anymore, cus i don't have yes.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

i like paul o'neill, cus he neer says anything
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
    Kay is getting worse. Although the only other announcers I see are the espn ones so I give him some slack.

But yesterday I watched a Met game because my roommate was, and while their announcers are all over the place and go off on tangents I will admit it was more entertaining, less pretentious, and overall more enjoyable.
    It's weird, watching the game yesterday on mlb.tv, I was surprised how much the Twins announcers sucked. I didn't even realize Bobby Abreu had hit a homerun, I thought they were broadcasting a funeral. That being said, I don't care for "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEYA....A LOOONG HOMERUN FOR DAVID ORTIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It's a fine line and a tough job I guess.

NYYF Legend

alex rod-driguez
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

He was good, but i can see how his stories are going to become a little less interesting as time goes by. The life of a backup catcher.. it's not a fabulous one.

I liked him last night, but i've got an itch that he won't last.

Passion For Pinstripes mrmike98's Avatar

He's a much better listen than Leiter.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike98
    Yeah but neigher of them compare to Katt. That dood RULED.

Addicted Member

Does anyone know why Michael Kay still has a job in broadcasting?

NYYF Cy Young

I must be Michael Kay's only fan.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    I must be Michael Kay's only fan.
    GET HIM!!! !! !!!! !!! !

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar
    GET HIM!!! !! !!!! !!! !

High fly ball, fairly deep to right field. See ya!

The pitch to David Ortiz...driven DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP to Right field....CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-YA! A TWO-RUN HOMERUN FOR DAVID ORTIZ AND THE RED SOX LEAD 5-3!!!!!!!!!!shift1!!

I can't stand Kay as a broadcaster. He's actually very intelligent about the game though.

NYYF Legend

I like him. He's got a nice voice, personality, and he actually knows what he's talking about. The only thing he could improve on is that he sometimes speaks too softly and unassertively.
    I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike98
    Can I get an amen?!

I think Flaherty has been great to listen to also. I do miss Jim Kaat though...
    "Maybe someday you'll be our shortstop and your number will hang out here (in Monument Park),'" recalled Cashman. "He's the only one I ever said that to, and it's actually going to happen."

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank
    High fly ball, fairly deep to right field. See ya!

The pitch to David Ortiz...driven DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP to Right field....CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-YA! A TWO-RUN HOMERUN FOR DAVID ORTIZ AND THE RED SOX LEAD 5-3!!!!!!!!!!shift1!!

I can't stand Kay as a broadcaster. He's actually very intelligent about the game though.
    Lol last night's game he creamed himself when the twins were scoring.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    Lol last night's game he creamed himself when the twins were scoring.
    I noticed that too. I think Kay is so concerned that he's percieved as a homer, that he tries too hard to objective like he did during the bottom of the 8th inning last night. It really gets ridculous when they play the Red Sox. I think Kay gets more excited when the Red Sox do something good than the Red Sox annoucers do.

Clinton, NJ - The odorless part of the state

I generally like Flaherty, but for some strange reason he spent the whole Twins series addressing a litany of things that he didn't like when he was a player. This guy doing this, that guy doing that. It became very tiresome after a while. It was like listening to that obnoxious guy behind you at the game complain about everything. Enough already.
    Waiting for Sterling to retire so I can start listening to games on the radio again...

Thread Information