+ Reply to Thread

Texans release former No. 1 pick Carr

Texans release former No. 1 pick Carr
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809870

The Houston Texans have released quarterback David Carr a day after acquiring quarterback Matt Schaub in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons.

Carr was the first overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft and leaves the Texans as the franchise's all-time leading passer with 13,391 yards and 59 touchdowns in five seasons. Carr had a 22-53 record as a starter for Houston.

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Texans release former No. 1 pick Carr

I don't get it. Was Carr really the problem? He can't be worse then a career backup. I think that until they get a descent O-line they could put anyone behind center and still only be a 4-12 team.

Here's hoping David Carr gets picked up somewhere else and fast (unless it's Miami).

NYYF Cy Young

No reason to believe that if he gets a decent O-line and a running game that he couldn't be a solid QB.

NYYF Legend

I'm surprised at how many people are absolutely crazed about Matt Schaub. I guess we'll all find out for sure.

Should be interesting to see where David Carr ends up.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

NYYF Legend

The Texans are a horribly run organization.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    The Texans are a horribly run organization.
    Thats an understatement....

Carr would be a real smart acquistion by some teams.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Carr got the shaft here. Does anyone really think Schaub would have been that much better playing behind that O line??

I mean the amount of drooling over Schaub, a guy who has proven nothing in this league, is just baffling to me.

Im surpised oakland or miami hasnt picked him up yet

Quote Originally Posted by bnorris85
    I think Minnesota should go after him. Right now their starting QB is still quite a project.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheManKnownAsMecca
    I think Minnesota should go after him. Right now their starting QB is still quite a project.
    Agreed. That could be a really good fit for him too.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Were working on it...

Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

Now why couldn't Denver do this with Plummer?
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

I think Carr can be a very good QB in this league....if given a good O line

NYYF Legend

Probably because they're both horribly run organizations too.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    Probably because they're both horribly run organizations too.
    "
    touche

Peter King on Carr:

The other day, Carr threw a pass into a coverage scheme that he, and Kubiak, knew right away was the wrong pass at the wrong time. Terrible decision. And instead of soft-pedaling his criticism, which is the way Carr has been treated for four years as the Disappointing Golden Boy of Houston football, Kubiak offered this gem: "You've been in the league four years and you make that throw? There is no way you can make a throw into coverage like that!''

You've got to love a coach who does not come in and kiss the franchise quarterback's rear end. Because smooching is not what this quarterback needed. "David can't assume, 'I'm OK, we've just got to fix the stuff around me,' '' Kubiak told me after a Texans practice, sounding Parcellsian. "He's not OK. He's a long way from being OK. We all are.''

With Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun micromanaging his every move, there's no doubt in my mind Carr's going to be a better player this year. Will he be a franchise quarterback? I don't know. No one does. I have my doubts. He's got to do it under pressure. But he's going to have a chance, even though I think the Texans should have taken Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams with the first pick in the draft because Carr needs another offensive weapon desperately.

Last Thursday, the day I watched Carr running Houston's talent-shy first-team offense, Kubiak was standing deep downfield, eyeing Carr's mechanics closely. Every so often, he'd see something, amble up and say something to Carr, then go back and resume watching him from afar. It's so fascinating why Kubiak was doing this.

Last winter, when Kubiak sat down to study every game Carr played last year, he noticed something fatal to quarterbacking success. He noticed when Carr faded back to throw, he consistently looked to the side of the field that was his first option. Imagine how crucial this is. If you're a safety, and you've scouted Carr from the end-zone coaches tape that every team sees, and you've seen that you can figure out the side of the field he's trying to throw to the second he begins his pass-drop, wouldn't that be a huge advantage?

When Kubiak first sat down with Carr to watch tape, he said, in so many words: Are you kidding me? You're an NFL quarterback, and you telegraph your throws so blatantly? So on this day, in this practice, Kubiak watched Carr take his drop and watched his eyes as much as his arm. He watched to make sure Carr was surveying the entire field on his drop, not just half of it

Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

Thanks, Mark.

Great stuff. One of the CHFF guys commented that Kubiak had said that Carr can't look off the safeties.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Peter King on Carr:

...With Kubiak and offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun micromanaging his every move, ....
    I hope it was an old Peter King article. Troy Calhoun was named as the Head Coach at Air Force a couple months ago.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CAR/10112148

Carr, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, will serve as Jake Delhomme's backup.

"It's a case where we were obviously looking for someone to come in back up Jake and the opportunity to get a quarterback the caliber of David in free agency is unique," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "We thought it was a good situation and a good opportunity for us."

Carr was a five-year starter for the expansion Texans. He completed 60 percent of his passes, but threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times. Carr completed a career-high 68.3 percent of his passes last season, but was released by the Texans after they obtained Matt Schaub in a trade from Atlanta and anointed him as their starting quarterback.

The Panthers believe Carr's troubles stemmed from Houston's poor offensive line, and tried to sign him during his visit with the team early in the week. Carr left without a contract and visited Seattle, while Carolina brought in former Miami quarterback Joey Harrington for a visit.

But on Thursday Carr decided he wanted to sign with Carolina, and the two sides reached a deal over the phone early Friday morning, ending a nervous period for Hurney.

Good move by the Panthers, I think it puts a little pressure on Delhomme

Quote Originally Posted by IronCaballo4
    Good move by the Panthers, I think it puts a little pressure on Delhomme
    I think it makes Delhomme the backup QB.

I may be one of the only few people in this world who still believes in David Carr but he has all of the intangibles. And now ta-da he has an offensive line. I can only imagine what he'll do with WRs like Smith, Keyshawn, Carter, and Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManKnownAsMecca
    I think it makes Delhomme the backup QB.

I may be one of the only few people in this world who still believes in David Carr but he has all of the intangibles. And now ta-da he has an offensive line. I can only imagine what he'll do with WRs like Smith, Keyshawn, Carter, and Colbert.
    Carr will have the line he needs IF key guys come back strong from injury. I'm all for pushing Delhomme to the backup spot, he drives me nuts. I can't wait to see what Carr can do IF he ever gets to play

Thread Information