+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Sammy Makes the Team!!

Wooo I did not see this one... Good for him

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines

NYYF Legend

Re: Sammy Makes the Team!!

Good for him, but perhaps bad for the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    Good for him, but perhaps bad for the Rangers.
    I hope its the Cubs Sammy and not the one we saw in Bmore
    [URL="http://www.yankstalk.com"]Yankees Blog[/URL]

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

They did the right thing, he's been red hot in ST so far. Now, as far as the rest of the season goes...I wish him luck.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

Released Outright

I usually am all for the underdog comeback success story but not this time. I'd prefer Sammy go away.

He'll be DFA in June or so.

Bad for baseball. Another brilliant move by that organization.

NYYF Legend

The only hope for the Rangers is that he's doing a lot of HGH. If not, he'll be a really bad player for them.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    The only hope for the Rangers is that he's doing a lot of HGH. If not, he'll be a really bad player for them.
    Let's just say he definitely is looks like a different hitter than he was as an Oriole. He actually looks kind of like the Slammin Sammy who had those great years for the Cubs.

Now if he goes out there and hits 50 HR pushing 40 years old, then one would have to wonder.....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    Let's just say he definitely is looks like a different hitter than he was as an Oriole. He actually looks kind of like the Slammin Sammy who had those great years for the Cubs.

Now if he goes out there and hits 50 HR pushing 40 years old, then one would have to wonder.....
    Him and Barry Bonds might make us both wonder about what they are putting in their body this year... IMO, there's a reason Bonds, at age 42 now, is looking so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    IMO, there's a reason Bonds, at age 42 now, is looking so good.
    Is that reason that he's one of the top three players in the history of baseball?

NYYF Legend

I was rooting for Sammy. Good for him.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    I usually am all for the underdog comeback success story but not this time. I'd prefer Sammy go away.

The corked bat, couldn't answer questions at the congressional hearings on steroids even though he had an interpreter, leaving the stadium and teammates minutes before the last game of the season as a Cub when he found out he wasn't going to play that day.....the list can go on and on.
    "I have discovered in 20 years of moving around the ballpark that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." -Bill Veeck

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

Does he have Gary Matthews's old locker? I hope he is clean but you can never be sure about any athlete in any sport.
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Thats one George W. mistake redeemed. Now maybe things will look better in Iraq...
    I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

100% agreed.

Sammy =
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

I am very offended by some of the responses in this thread.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

NYYF Legend

good for him... but honestly, who cares?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner
    Thats one George W. mistake redeemed. Now maybe things will look better in Iraq...
    It should be pointed out the Rangers did get a pretty good player in Harold Baines in return for Sosa, Wilson Alvarez and Scott Fletcher. The Rangers had right handed hitters in Franco, Buechele, Incaviglia and Gonzalez on the way. They only had Palmeiro (8 HR a year at this time) and Sierra as lefty/switch hitter. The A's had right handed starters like Stewart, Welch and Davis and they were the AL West team-to-beat. But the trade does show the dangers of trading away 20 year olds to win now. The White Sox did the same-only-worse, trading Sosa for George Bell.
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    Bad for baseball. Another brilliant move by that organization.
    So the Rangers should cut someone with a .441/.457/.824 line in spring training?

I didn't like the move initially because I thought he would be awful and make the team anyway. However, if he's going to dominate in ST, he deserves a shot. I don't think the Rangers are going to be hesitant to cut him if he's hitting .220 and riding the pine in June.

I'm still skeptical. He's going to have to prove it to me. But if he wants to hit .270 with 25-30 homers this year, I'll take him.

NYYF Legend

Ditto - all the "finger kisses" and heart thumping in the world can't change the fact that he cheated. I don't wish him any harm, but if his comeback is short-lived, I won't lose sleep over it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTXHorn
    So the Rangers should cut someone with a .441/.457/.824 line in spring training?

I didn't like the move initially because I thought he would be awful and make the team anyway. However, if he's going to dominate in ST, he deserves a shot. I don't think the Rangers are going to be hesitant to cut him if he's hitting .220 and riding the pine in June.

I'm still skeptical. He's going to have to prove it to me. But if he wants to hit .270 with 25-30 homers this year, I'll take him.

I watched Sammy play a lot two years ago here in Baltimore. And he looked like he was washed up, nowhere near the power that he had in Chicago. Not enough bat speed, warning track power. Very low average.

Not only that, he appeared smaller physically, he did not give one the impression of great physical strength when you saw him. Not like when he was in Chicago, when Sammy Sosa had an awesome physique.

Now I have not seen him in Texas but I've read some reports that he appears stronger and more cut than when he was in Baltimore. I cannot help but wonder exactly what kind of physical training he has been doing in the last year.

There are just so many stories about HGH (which MLB doesn't test for) and players taking other supplements. The rumors have always been there with Sammy. I'm glad he was clean when he was an Oriole, even if he didn't succeed here.

I just hope that if he was on something in Chicago, he has not gone back on it in order to revive his career.

I agree with all of that. I don't like Sosa, and I would probably be rooting against him if he were playing for anyone else. But since he's on my team, I hope he has a great season.

NYYF Legend

Sammy Sosa is one of the least likeable guys in baseball...I hope he's a huge bust.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    Is that reason that he's one of the top three players in the history of baseball?
    Yes, it is.

Thread Information