View Poll Results: Is it the Mariners year?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way, the Yankees will knock them off in the ALCS

21 56.76%
  • No, they will make it to the WS, and lose to the NL Champ

1 2.70%
  • They won't even make it to the ALCS

4 10.81%
  • Probably

11 29.73%
+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Is it just "their year"?

I'm not throwing in the towel by any means, but the Mariners are kind of reminding me of the 1998 Yankees the the 1984 Tigers. Teams that just found a way to win no matter what. Today's game was a perfect example. I was going to make a post about maybe its starting to fall apart, next thing I know, its 9-9 in the fifth inning!

I know its only June, and nobody can predict the future. But what do you think??

Pettitte Lover
    I think they're like the '98 Yanks in the sense that everyone just keeps playing better than they "should", you know? I honestly don't think players like Mike Cameron and Brett Boone are that great year to year, but this season they can do no wrong. It's like that with the whole team. One person doesn't get the hit, the next person in the lineup does. A pitcher gets hit, the bullpen comes in the shut the other team down. Everyone is kinda performing above their heads, everyone is contributing, and they show no signs of slowing down.

I kept waiting for them to fold, but it seems like they keep getting better and more confident, and I think that confidence is a big part of their game now. Who knows? They'll win the division for SURE and depending on who they face in the ALCS, they definitely have shown that they can beat the best teams (except the Yanks )

They are having a great year. A lot will depend on how the pitching holds up and the same goes for all the other teams as well.

As for the ps...that is anyone's game as anything can happen there. They will win the division without too much of a whimper from the other teams as they have such a commanding lead at this point.

NYYF Cy Young

Their win streak is fantastic, but--even though they might end up with a better record than the '98 Yankees--I don't think the Ms are as good a team. And they're not one designed for success in post-season.

Their pitchers aren't nearly as good as those on the '98 Yankes, particularly the rotation. I find it hard to imagine, e.g., Jamie Moyer, John Halama, and Paul Abbott holding up when the chips are down (although Abbott won't be in the post-season rotation anyway). I also think many of the guys are playing far, far over their heads. One of the funny things about the '98 Yankees was that not many players had "career years."

That said, I waivered between not getting to the ALCS (which I finally picked) and getting knocked off there. I probably would have picked getting knocked off in the ACLS if it hadn't specifically said "by the Yankees." Right now I have a difficult time imaging the Yankees making it to October--although they will be terrific if they get to post-season.

The regular season seems to indicate that it is, but in the postseason, anything can happen. Remember, the team with the worst regular season record of all playoff teams won the World Series last year. The postseason is just a different animal and my main concern is them getting there in the first place. The Yanks must go head to head against Boston because it doesn't look right now like the wild card will come from the east.

The Yanks just have to make the moves to get us there, and the current Yanks jsut have to start performing to their norms. That might get them to the postseason, from there on, it's anybody's guess. But the challenge is getting there.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

When I look up and down that roster, I see a good team but not a great one. The Yanks have better personnel and will slide past them at some point in the playoffs. BTW, the M's are not having a good week....they've lost some games, and the pitching has been poor, including that loser Jeff Nelson.

There's no way the Yankees and Red Sox will make the ALCS.
    Look at the standings, the wildcard is coming from somewhere else.

The Yankees have to win the AL East.

So all those people who voted that the Yankees will beat the Red Sox in the ALCS......you should think again.

NYYF Legend

The post is about the mariners.........

Originally posted by UKNY
    There's no way the Yankees and Red Sox will make the ALCS.
    Look at the standings, the wildcard is coming from somewhere else.

The Yankees have to win the AL East.

So all those people who voted that the Yankees will beat the Red Sox in the ALCS......you should think again.
    Not the Red Sox... The Mariners!!!!

NYYF Legend

they are doing well and playing the game the way it should be played.
    I am very happy for Lou. Even though I love Torre I did not want to see him go. Played the game the way Paulie does. If the Yankees don't win
    it then I would love to see the Mariners do it for Lou.
    If you understand,
    things are just as they are;
    If you do not understand,
    things are just as they are.
    Zen proverb

Calendar of Updates
    www.calendarofupdates.com

The M's and Yank's are complete opposites this year.

The M's have mediocre players that are having great seasons, while the Yanks are great players that are having mediocre(or worse ) seasons.

NYYF MVP

It gets interesting since the M's are starting to slow down a bit.
    The Angles shut em down yesterday, but youd never know it when you listen to the news, particuarly Fox's Northwest Sports report. Like the team can do now wrong. As the Angels beat em twice in a row now, They are only the second team in a postion to sweep the M's at home since...... The Yankees

But its really fun to listen everyone bitch and moan, " Lou shoulda done this" Why did that guy come in " " They play like minor leaguers"

This is the same team that is off to the most explosive lead in their division, ever. The second place team is 17 games behind. A very successful team, yet after a loss or two, its time to trade folks away.

I almost thought I was trapped inside this forum.

Forum Regular

Just remember ..... pitching wins series

Thread Information