+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NYYF Triple Crown

Rumor -- Carroll interviews with Miami

I think he would be nuts to leave the situation he's got at USC, and I really don't think he he going anywhere. But the one part of this I find interesting is that the Dolphins have been willing to give a coach total control over personnel and football operations. Here is the quote from Carroll over why he wouldn't leave:

"I just don't picture anything that would be of value to even consider," he said. "Because I don't know how they can structure. They're too top-heavy in the organizations and stuff to even create a scenario. ... [There] aren't guys that own teams that would create a scenario for a guy like myself that would be interesting, so I don't even consider it."

I am trying to decipher that statement, and it almost reads as if might be be willing to go somewhere that he would have a lot of control, but that pro teams are too top-heavy (too much management oversight?). The Dolphins ownership, however, has been willing to cede that kind of power in the past (I think both Jimmy Johnson and Saban had absolute authority).

As I said, I doubt he goes anywhere, but I find this Dolphins rumor much more interesting then the Arizona rumor that we have heard over and over this year.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...orts-headlines

Re: Rumor -- Carroll interviews with Miami

I hope to hell it's merely leveraging. Otherwise, I know some ND folks around here will have a field day if he leaves!!!! You'd think he would've learned that he's NOT an NFL coach.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Yank
    I hope to hell it's merely leveraging. Otherwise, I know some ND folks around here will have a field day if he leaves!!!! You'd think he would've learned that he's NOT an NFL coach.
    It has to be leveraging. It probably bothers him that he hasn't had much success in the pros, but why leave USC when it seems to be a perfect fit right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Yank
    The only reason I can see him leaving.....is if he wants to prove to himself that he can be successful on the NFL level. So far he has been a failure....the one year he coached the Jets his team was 6-5 and fell apart and lost the last 5 games. His stint with the Pats wasnt very good either.

Miami would be a tough spot for him. He'd be going to a division with Belichick and Mangini.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    The only reason I can see him leaving.....is if he wants to prove to himself that he can be successful on the NFL level.
    ...or if he thinks that the NCAA is going to come down hard on USC.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Pinstriper
    ...or if he thinks that the NCAA is going to come down hard on USC.
    As much as I hate to admit it this is a possiblitly

with that said, I doubt he leaves. the NCAA investigations will still take a few years and he's way to smart to leave the position he is at with SC. We are not Miami.

CFP - When is the Jarrett press conference today?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1976
    I think he would be nuts to leave the situation he's got at USC, and I really don't think he he going anywhere. But the one part of this I find interesting is that the Dolphins have been willing to give a coach total control over personnel and football operations. Here is the quote from Carroll over why he wouldn't leave:

"I just don't picture anything that would be of value to even consider," he said. "Because I don't know how they can structure. They're too top-heavy in the organizations and stuff to even create a scenario. ... [There] aren't guys that own teams that would create a scenario for a guy like myself that would be interesting, so I don't even consider it."

I am trying to decipher that statement, and it almost reads as if might be be willing to go somewhere that he would have a lot of control, but that pro teams are too top-heavy (too much management oversight?). The Dolphins ownership, however, has been willing to cede that kind of power in the past (I think both Jimmy Johnson and Saban had absolute authority).

As I said, I doubt he goes anywhere, but I find this Dolphins rumor much more interesting then the Arizona rumor that we have heard over and over this year.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...orts-headlines

It's called trying to get a raise from USC.

He deserves one too.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident

He deserves one too.
    What does he make at USC? I assume he is behind Stoops and (now) Saban. I thought there were only a handful over 3 million with him being one of them....

For the record, I don't want him going anywhere. I think the ND-USC games could become bigtime again over the next few years.

I think the ND-USC games could become bigtime again over the next few years.
    Agreed. Despite my jest, I think CW will shine up the dome before too long.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Ooh I hope he gets it. I want Miami to be horrible for another 3 years.

What does he make at USC? I assume he is behind Stoops and (now) Saban. I thought there were only a handful over 3 million with him being one of them....

For the record, I don't want him going anywhere. I think the ND-USC games could become bigtime again over the next few years.
    Im not sure of the exact figure but he is making over 3 a year. I really see no reason why he shouldn't be the highest paid coach in college football. He's done so much with this program since he got here in 2001 and it's only going to get better.

The Charlie Weis era really starts next season since most of Willingham's players will be gone. It'll be tough for them to keep with with SC for a few years since they're pretty much rebuilding from scratch next year but if their big recruits pan out Notre Dame will be a good team by 2009 for sure.

Edit: he's actually making a shade under 3.
    Last edited by CanoForPresident; 01-08-07 at 03:29 PM.

Im not sure of the exact figure but he is making over 3 a year.
    There was a thing in USAToday that listed what the various salaries were. I thought I posted it here somewhere??? I'll see if I can dig it back up.

EDIT:

I can't seem to post the link but if you go here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ball/front.htm

Then scroll down and look in the middle column. The heading is "Special features" and there's where you'll find the link to the coach's compensation.

NYYF MVP

He deserves one too.
    Exactly.

Pete Carroll is a freakin' god at USC and has all the control he wants/needs to be successful for many, many years. He's one of those rare coaches that just fits his program...just like Bowden @ FSU, Paterno @ PSU, Brown @ UT, Stoops @ OU, etc.

I hope he sticks around...he's good for college football.

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

Every Jet fan prays that this is true
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

One way or another, Pete is going to be seeing a ton of cash...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2725843

Thread Information