+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    This year is the first time I've ever lived in a building in Manhattan that has doormen. There are a few of them but one in particular is extremely helpful all the time. I have no idea what the proper holiday gift/tip is for doormen. I'm not exactly rolling in the dough but I can afford to give something. Does anyone have any idea what the proper tip/gift giving etiquette is?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    stephsamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Sunshine State

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC
    This year is the first time I've ever lived in a building in Manhattan that has doormen. There are a few of them but one in particular is extremely helpful all the time. I have no idea what the proper holiday gift/tip is for doormen. I'm not exactly rolling in the dough but I can afford to give something. Does anyone have any idea what the proper tip/gift giving etiquette is?

    Thanks.
    I believe the news said something like between $20-$100 (quite a range I know) and that its ok to play favorites (i.e. give the guy who helps you more some more money).

  3. #3
    Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    I was going to say that at least $20 per door man is probably right.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

  4. #4
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    wow.... I don't think I could handle having a doorman. I hate those guys that hand me towels in a bathroom. I can take care of myself, bro.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Your building is either a co-op or condo correct?

    Well, the board or Superintendent should have already passed out a list of employees to you. A note or piece of paper and slid it under your door.

    Per example---" Here is wishing you a Happy Holiday season from us at 1234 Abc building."

    John Smith---Super
    John Doe---Head Doorman
    Jane Doe---Porter

    and on and on and they should even put their start dates also to let you know how long they have been employed under the Corp.

    Where do you live? NYC?
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  6. #6
    ... Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    I've been pretty generous over the years but this year, I'm going minimum ($20) or maybe nothing - had some issues with some of them. Give more to the guy who helps you out.

    Oh, yeah - I got one of those lists under my door plus it's plastered all around the building. Sometimes, they put a second list if it gets late and you havent' given them anything.

  7. #7
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    wow.... I don't think I could handle having a doorman. I hate those guys that hand me towels in a bathroom. I can take care of myself, bro.
    I agree about the bathroom attendant but it's kind of nice having a doorman. They hold onto all of my UPS deliveries so I don't have to be home to receive them and they hand me my dry cleaning when I walk through the front door when I have it delivered. It's pretty convenient. I'm going to be lost when I move out next year.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    I have not only gotten the list of doorman but the mail carrier also left his postcard in my mail wishing me a happy whatever. The lot where I park my car also gave me a card with a list of all the names of workers...over 15 of them. These are the same guys I had to talk to when there were footprints on my back seat and dirt all over the waaayyy back seat. I have never heard more stammering in my life. Seems someone was sleeping back there. lol
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  9. #9
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC
    I agree about the bathroom attendant but it's kind of nice having a doorman. They hold onto all of my UPS deliveries so I don't have to be home to receive them and they hand me my dry cleaning when I walk through the front door when I have it delivered. It's pretty convenient. I'm going to be lost when I move out next year.
    I can see how those things would be helpfull. i am just not used to people doing things for me like opening doors, hailing cabs, or whatever else it is that they do. I get uncomfortable when that does happen.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  10. #10
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis
    Your building is either a co-op or condo correct?

    Well, the board or Superintendent should have already passed out a list of employees to you. A note or piece of paper and slid it under your door.

    Per example---" Here is wishing you a Happy Holiday season from us at 1234 Abc building."

    John Smith---Super
    John Doe---Head Doorman
    Jane Doe---Porter

    and on and on and they should even put their start dates also to let you know how long they have been employed under the Corp.

    Where do you live? NYC?
    I live in a regular apartment building and I haven't received any type of list from the management office. I sent them a fax earlier asking them to provide me a list of all the doormen's names because I'm embarrassed to admit that I only know one guy's name after living there for almost a year. I need to get to know people better.

    Thanks everyone. I guess I'll give the good doorman a slightly larger tip than the others.

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    I can see how those things would be helpfull. i am just not used to people doing things for me like opening doors, hailing cabs, or whatever else it is that they do. I get uncomfortable when that does happen.
    Prison does that to people.


    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  12. #12
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    I can see how those things would be helpfull. i am just not used to people doing things for me like opening doors, hailing cabs, or whatever else it is that they do. I get uncomfortable when that does happen.
    I understand and I usually feel the same way. If it makes any difference, they don't hail cabs for me or open the door for me either. They're always seated behind their desk and they don't actually stand outside waiting to open and close the door for people. I don't have near enough money to afford that type of service.

    One great service they do provide is if some jacka$$ is cranking his/her music late at night (or vacuuming over your head at midnight) they'll call that person on their intercom and tell them to knock it off. That's my favorite type of service.

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC
    I live in a regular apartment building and I haven't received any type of list from the management office. I sent them a fax earlier asking them to provide me a list of all the doormen's names because I'm embarrassed to admit that I only know one guy's name after living there for almost a year. I need to get to know people better.

    Thanks everyone. I guess I'll give the good doorman a slightly larger tip than the others.
    Dude I have no idea who are the guys in my building, the list is very important. Just make sure you know the pecking order. The Super gets the largest and flow down from there. Remember alot of these guys discuss who gave what and who gave nothing. I have never really had a problem with anyone and even if I did I still tip. Guilt governs my life.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  14. #14
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis
    Dude I have no idea who are the guys in my building, the list is very important. Just make sure you know the pecking order. The Super gets the largest and flow down from there. Remember alot of these guys discuss who gave what and who gave nothing. I have never really had a problem with anyone and even if I did I still tip. Guilt governs my life.
    Actually, that's "dudette" but that's okay.

    I wasn't planning on tipping the maintenance people if no one gives me a list. I'm not against tipping them but I don't know who they are. The ones I do see are pretty surly and unfriendly anyway and ignore you when you walk by so I won't feel guilty if I don't give them anything. However, if there's a general collection for them then I'll contribute something. I'll be moving in a few months so they won't have too long to hold a grudge against me.

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Screw that. Why the hell should I tip anyone? Who's tipping me for the work I do?

  16. #16
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis
    Prison does that to people.


    wanna see something else I learned?

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  17. #17
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC
    I understand and I usually feel the same way. If it makes any difference, they don't hail cabs for me or open the door for me either. They're always seated behind their desk and they don't actually stand outside waiting to open and close the door for people. I don't have near enough money to afford that type of service.

    One great service they do provide is if some jacka$$ is cranking his/her music late at night (or vacuuming over your head at midnight) they'll call that person on their intercom and tell them to knock it off. That's my favorite type of service.
    oh okay. i kinda pictured them the same as bellhops at hotels. I try to avoid them as well. Hell, I don't even like valet parking. I guess I could never pull off being rich, huh?
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Screw that. Why the hell should I tip anyone? Who's tipping me for the work I do?
    Here is a tip lawyer---walk west till you hit Honolulu.

    Yikes sorry AMC--So you are a girl and they don't get the door for you or hail a cab? No class, that stinks dudette.

    Hitman, unless it's making toilet gin, I will pass. lol
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis
    Here is a tip lawyer---walk west till you hit Honolulu.

    Yikes sorry AMC--So you are a girl and they don't get the door for you or hail a cab? No class, that stinks dudette.

    Hitman, unless it's making toilet gin, I will pass. lol
    Ha. Ha.

  20. #20
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    oh okay. i kinda pictured them the same as bellhops at hotels. I try to avoid them as well. Hell, I don't even like valet parking. I guess I could never pull off being rich, huh?
    No, I don't live at The Plaza Hotel. Actually, I'm paying way too much money to live in a studio apartment (although it's a nice neighborhood) which is why I've decided to move out of Manhattan when my lease is up and get a larger sized apartment with a real kitchen. I don't cook but I still like a nice kitchen and full sized refrigerator. I can't take shoebox living any longer no matter how good the doorman is or how nice the laundry room is. I need more room and I don't want to wince everytime I write my rent check.

  21. #21
    NYYF Triple Crown

    AMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis
    Yikes sorry AMC--So you are a girl and they don't get the door for you or hail a cab? No class, that stinks dudette.
    That's okay. It's really not their jobs although they do help me when I need it.

  22. #22
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC
    No, I don't live at The Plaza Hotel. Actually, I'm paying way too much money to live in a studio apartment (although it's a nice neighborhood) which is why I've decided to move out of Manhattan when my lease is up and get a larger sized apartment with a real kitchen. I don't cook but I still like a nice kitchen and full sized refrigerator. I can't take shoebox living any longer no matter how good the doorman is or how nice the laundry room is. I need more room and I don't want to wince everytime I write my rent check.
    Oh I wasn't implying that you were, I was just saying that I could never pull off being that guy that has "help".
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    oh okay. i kinda pictured them the same as bellhops at hotels. I try to avoid them as well. Hell, I don't even like valet parking. I guess I could never pull off being rich, huh?
    They should make a movie of you Steve.

  24. #24

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Screw that. Why the hell should I tip anyone? Who's tipping me for the work I do?
    If you are being serious then I agree completely. I believe bartenders and hairdressers are the only people who receive slightly below minimum wage so I don't mind tipping them. Doormen and gas pumpers are two occupations that I will not tip. They are doing their job and are paid for it, so why should you have to worry about it? I don't see my students starting a retirement fund for me. Although I do get sweet gifts for Christmas I'm told. I don't feel that my students need to get me anything but I'm teaching them in many different areas (subjects and also life skills). Once the door is opened or the tank is filled, it's not like I'm leaving with new knowledge.

  25. #25
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Holiday gift giving etiquette for doormen

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    They should make a movie of you Steve.
    it better have an awesome soundtrack.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts