+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mets close to deal for reliever Ambiorix Burgos

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6242398
    The Mets, seeking to bolster their bullpen with a young power arm, are closing in on a trade in which they would land right-hander Ambiorix Burgos from the Royals for a pitching prospect, FOXSports.com has learned.

Burgos, 22, was 4-5 with a 5.52 ERA last season for the Royals in 73 1/3 innings. He had greater success as a rookie in 2005, going 3-5 with a 3.98 ERA in 63 1/3 innings.

And according to this page, it's close to a done deal with Brian Bannister going to the Royals in exchange.
    http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archiv...5/2552462.html
    the buzz from orlando’s hotel lobby is that the pitching prospect required by the Royalsin exchange for[/I] RHP Ambiorix Burgos is most likely Brian Bannister
    …from what i can gather, the Mets, among other teams, feel the Royals rushed 22–year-old burgos to the majors, and that he has the make-up and power to be a dominant relief pitcher one day
    Thoughts? I think this is a good deal for the Mets if it goes through.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Re: Mets close to deal for reliever Ambiorix Burgos

good lord, how do you pronounce his first name?

NYYF Legend

Firstly, did anyone else not understand, when the Mets desperately needed a starting pitcher, why they didn't go back to Bannister? Just seemed like a weird thing since he had pitched allright well for them to start the season before his injury...

As for the actual deal, I think Bannister's ceiling is a 4 starter. He could be a John Maine type I think...

Burgos has good stuff and he has a great arm. Could be one of those deals that works out for both teams if Bannister is an average starter on the cheap for KC and Burgos realizes his potential. I think Burgos will by the way...
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Good arm, terrible pitcher. At least he was last year.

Getting Bannister for him is a solid return for the Royals.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Firstly, did anyone else not understand, when the Mets desperately needed a starting pitcher, why they didn't go back to Bannister? Just seemed like a weird thing since he had pitched allright well for them to start the season before his injury...
    Which time are we talking about? July when Pedro first went down? If so he was still on the DL. When August rolled around, they had Dave Williams getting guys out more frequently then him and then Oliver Perez threw a 1-hitter down in Norfolk and had the more impressive resume.

Besides, Bannister walked too many guys in his first big league stint.

NYYF Legend

Am-b-or-ix as i recall. Jeter took him deep for a 3-run opening day.

NYYF Legend

I like this deal for the Mets, Ambiorix is still young and has an electric arm.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    Am-b-or-ix as i recall. Jeter took him deep for a 3-run opening day.
    I remember that. I missed my Urban Econ exam watching that game. Not on purpose, just forgot that the test was at the time of day it was...
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Burgos was hittable last season but still 72K : 37BB is not atrocious. Weird that they'd give up on a 22-year-old who throws that hard and has a nice splitter (if all they get is Bannister).

It's a done deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tes/index.html
    The Mets have agreed to trade righthanded pitcher Brian Bannister to the Royals for righthanded reliever Ambiorix Burgos, SI.com has confirmed.

Bannister was 2-1 with a 4.26 ERA in limited action during a rookie season mostly spent on the disabled list with hamstring trouble. Burgos was 4-5 with a 5.52 ERA for the Royals in 2006, his second season. Overall, he is 7-10 with a 4.81 ERA.

Is this the guy who blew two games to the RSox in the same series last season?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker101
    Is this the guy who blew two games to the RSox in the same series last season?
    Are you thinking of Carmona, or did Ambiorix do this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by In Mo I Trust
    Are you thinking of Carmona, or did Ambiorix do this as well?
    No, it was Carmona, Soon as you mentioned the name I remembered. Lord, I hated that guy for about 72 hours.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker101
    No, it was Carmona, Soon as you mentioned the name I remembered. Lord, I hated that guy for about 72 hours.
    Haha, yeah, I was at the second of those two games, not fun.

Good trade for the Royals.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

I like this deal for the Mets as long as they don't find themselves in a position where they could desperatlely use a Bannister-type starter. Time to get Zito, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTXHorn
    Good arm, terrible pitcher.
    How can we say that? Burgos is 22! He should be in about AA right now. Still not sure I like the deal from the Mets' perspective--Bannister is likely MLB ready, while Burgos needs a few more years of seasoning (and, thanks to the inept Royals, his service time clock has already started).

Quote Originally Posted by justin32099
    How can we say that? Burgos is 22! He should be in about AA right now. Still not sure I like the deal from the Mets' perspective--Bannister is likely MLB ready, while Burgos needs a few more years of seasoning (and, thanks to the inept Royals, his service time clock has already started).
    Burgos might be young, but he has 137 major league innings under his belt. From watching him last year, he was a guy with pretty good stuff and an exceptional arm that doesn't really know how to pitch.

Some pretty mediocre minor league numbers + a lot of struggles in the big leagues = not that good to me.

I could see him turning into a pretty decent middle reliever, but I'll take a solid starting pitcher (even if it's a 4 or 5 like Bannister) every day of the week.

NYYF HOF

The Mets just got another steal reminiscent of Nady for Oliver Perez.

The upside of the kid they're acquiring far outweighs any loss from the pitcher they traded. Bannister doesn't have great stuff, allowed a ton of baserunners, and was VERY LUCKY to get out of a bunch of jams with minimum damage. Burgos is still young and throws 2 electric pitches. If he can get more control (which might happen by tightening up his throwing motion), he can be an excellent reliever. He's already shown flashes with his great stuff. I have no clue what the Royals are doing.

NYYF Legend

I say it's a win-win. Yes, Burgos has great potential but the team need a soild back-end starter more than a potential good closer. Remeber we are talking about Royals, a team which is difficult for finding a No.4 starter in FA market.

NYYF Legend

Is Burgos Pedro's cousin?
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykey2
    The Mets just got another steal reminiscent of Nady for Oliver Perez.
    Come again? You mean the Pirates got a steal from Nady for Oliver Perez.

Considering the going rate for 4th starters is about $8 million these days, I'd say the Royals got a good deal in Bannister.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    Is Burgos Pedro's cousin?
    I believe you're thinking of Denny Bautista.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows
    I believe you're thinking of Denny Bautista.

Ah yes, that's right. Thanks.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Thread Information