+ Reply to Thread

Rocco Baldelli [Is he above average?] - mod

Rocco Baldelli ,a question. What are your perceptions concerning the Devil Ray. I believe the injuries over the previous seasons have obscured his immense talent. Do you think he has the potential to BE a real player seperated from the normal or average baseball player.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Re: Rocco Baldelli

Somebody help me? Damn, I'm getting shut out. Can I get a single word response from anyone? Rocco is cryin!!!!!!
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Addicted Member

above average...he just seems injury prone so it may never be recognized...he's a 5 tooler

I agree with Taylor, particularly with the improved power Baldelli showed this year. He's a terrific defensive player, good baserunner and a pretty decent hitter who might be developing into more than just pretty decent. But at a certain point, you have to think a guy is simply unable to avoid inuries. Maybe he's finally past it, but I'd be a bit surprised to see stay healthy enough to realize his full potential.

If he stays healthy he's surely going to be above average, the only question is how much so. however, given the TB's depth in the OF and their lack of pitching, it might be wise to shop him around if someone offers legitimate good young pitchers.
    [FONT=Verdana]FOR TAIWAN!
    [/FONT]

Addicted Member

I wouldn't shop him....he's obviously had injury problems but carl crawford could become injury prone this year and rocco baldelli may never see the DL again.

If i was the Tampa owner you have a flawless outfield for the next 10 years. Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, and Delmon Young. All three have been strong at the big league level and they'll be great players. Scott Kazmir will be one of the best pitchers in baseball year in and year out. If i was the GM, those 4 are untouchable and are gonna be the core of my team for the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    I wouldn't shop him....he's obviously had injury problems but carl crawford could become injury prone this year and rocco baldelli may never see the DL again.

If i was the Tampa owner you have a flawless outfield for the next 10 years. Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, and Delmon Young. All three have been strong at the big league level and they'll be great players. Scott Kazmir will be one of the best pitchers in baseball year in and year out. If i was the GM, those 4 are untouchable and are gonna be the core of my team for the next 10 years.
    Great analysis, I live in Fla. and noticed the talent on the Marlins: Beckett, Penny, Pavano, Redman, Willis, and Castillo, Millar, Pierre, Lowell, Lee. They are disbursed amongst the league. If the Drays get some competent leadership and a manager who could motivate, train or teach the young core of the Drays . All that you espouse is dead on correct. Kudos

NYYF Legend

Re: Rocco Baldelli [Is he above average?] - mod

Rocco Baldelli is definitely an above average player. His talent is above average and his production is also above average (in CF standard). The only thing against him is that his chance of injury is above average too.

I hope Baldelli isn't the AL version of Austin Kearns (better range, but less offense). He really needs to get healthy for two or three years. Maybe he should be working out with Pavano in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees76
    I hope Baldelli isn't the AL version of Austin Kearns (better range, but less offense). He really needs to get healthy for two or three years. Maybe he should be working out with Pavano in AZ.
    the evil specter of pavano's injury has drifted into baldelli's balls then Iraq

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

All-star not a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze
    All-star not a superstar.
    Who said he was a superstar? I think he's got the potential to be a solid secondary player on a good team. Of course, that will be after he hits free agency, considering where he currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymagee
    Rocco Baldelli ,a question. What are your perceptions concerning the Devil Ray. I believe the injuries over the previous seasons have obscured his immense talent. Do you think he has the potential to BE a real player seperated from the normal or average baseball player.
    I played high school baseball in RI at the same time as Rocco, he was amazing- scouts from 20 teams at every games, he was the fastest kid in the state, great basketball player, all state in volleyball. I think he'll eventually be an all star if he can stay healthy.

I never played against him, but I did play against a catcher named Chris Iannetta (now a Rockies prospect who played in the majors this year). He was amazing too.

NYYF MVP

I forget where I read this, it was his rookie year, but Rocco was often being compared to Joe DiMaggio and someone of repute (Baseball Prospectus??) said he probably had about half of Joe D's skill set. That's a heckuva player.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justin32099
    Who said he was a superstar? I think he's got the potential to be a solid secondary player on a good team. Of course, that will be after he hits free agency, considering where he currently is.
    I didnt say anyone said that. JMO. Which is what the thread was started for, no?

baldelli is an exceptional talent who can produce at an above average level at virtually every aspect of the game for a position player, but like eveyrone else said....injuries ahve held him back. waw wick, RI's very own Roccooo.

Yogi Buck

I personally think he is a stud. He plays ALOT like Dimaggio if you ask me (not quite the power or hitting skills) and would be compared to him if he played in NY.

The guy can flat out motor. Time will tell, he'll play all next year at 25. So, I'm looking for a breakout year IF he can stay healthy the whole season. .300-25-100.

NYYF Legend

For the last few years, even though he has been injured I have been saying that Rocco would be a perfect fit in yankee land in centerfield. Of course, the yanks have Damon now, but in years to come perhaps when he is a free agent and the yanks are looking for a centerfielder he would be a good fit! IF he is healthy!

Thread Information