+ Reply to Thread

Elias puts out FA comp ratings

I didn't see this on any other post, so I figured that this was worth its own topic- and yes, it belongs in the minors section because the Elias rankings are used to determine what level of compensation you get for losing a FA. In other words, what draft pick the losing team gets.

For the Yanks:

Mussina and Sheffield are both "A" level compensation (though it appears the Yanks will exercise Sheffield's option and trade him instead).

"A" level under the Elias rankings means that the losing team gets the gaining team's 1st rounder (unless they sign a more highly ranked FA, or have one of the 15 worst records in MLB, in which case the losing team gets the other teams next highest pick) AND a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Villone is a "B" level FA. He JUST missed being an "A" level guy- he is literally the highest rated "B" reliever.

"B" level FAs have a comp of the gaining teams 1st rounder, with the same restrictions on that pick as an "A" has.

Bernie is listed as a "C," but the Yanks will get no comp for him if he leaves because he has been a FA before. Craig Wilson is a "C," and I do not believe he has been a FA before- but I have my doubts that the Yanks offer him arbitration.

"C" level FA comps the losing team a sandwich pick between the 2nd and 3rd round. However, if a "C" FA has been a FA before, then no comp is awarded.

Other Yankee FA's, who are no comps:

Sal Fasano
    Miguel Cairo
    Nick Green (though he elected FA by refusing to go to AAA)
    Jaret Wright (If the Yanks bought him out)
    Tanyon Sturtze
    Octavio Dotel

In other words, if the Yanks trade Sheffield, let Mussina go (get Matsuzaka) and let Villone go (while offering both Villone and Mussina arbitration), they could pick up 3 high round picks for them. They could theoretically get a sandwich pick between rounds 2 and 3 for Wilson, but I don't think he will be offered arbitration (if he's eligible for FA).

It is worth noting that Cory Lidle would have been a "B" FA comp.

As for the interesting FA's available this winter, here are some comps:

C. Lee- A
    Matthews- A
    Zaun- B
    Zito- A
    Lilly- B
    Padilla- B
    Meche- B
    Soriano- A
    Garciaparra- B
    Piazza- A
    Lugo- A
    Pettitte- A
    Schmidt- A
    Maddux- A
    Clemens- A
    Mulder- B
    Gagne- A

Re: Elias puts out FA comp ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Matsui55
    I didn't see this on any other post, so I figured that this was worth its own topic- and yes, it belongs in the minors section because the Elias rankings are used to determine what level of compensation you get for losing a FA. In other words, what draft pick the losing team gets.

For the Yanks:

Mussina and Sheffield are both "A" level compensation (though it appears the Yanks will exercise Sheffield's option and trade him instead).

"A" level under the Elias rankings means that the losing team gets the gaining team's 1st rounder (unless they sign a more highly ranked FA, or have one of the 15 worst records in MLB, in which case the losing team gets the other teams next highest pick) AND a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Villone is a "B" level FA. He JUST missed being an "A" level guy- he is literally the highest rated "B" reliever.

"B" level FAs have a comp of the gaining teams 1st rounder, with the same restrictions on that pick as an "A" has.

Bernie is listed as a "C," but the Yanks will get no comp for him if he leaves because he has been a FA before. Craig Wilson is a "C," and I do not believe he has been a FA before- but I have my doubts that the Yanks offer him arbitration.

"C" level FA comps the losing team a sandwich pick between the 2nd and 3rd round. However, if a "C" FA has been a FA before, then no comp is awarded.

Sal Fasano
    Miguel Cairo
    Tanyon Sturtze
    Octavio Dotel

In other words, if the Yanks trade Sheffield, let Mussina go (get Matsuzaka) and let Villone go (while offering both Villone and Mussina arbitration), they could pick up 3 high round picks for them. They could theoretically get a sandwich pick between rounds 2 and 3 for Wilson, but I don't think he will be offered arbitration (if he's eligible for FA).

C. Lee- A
    Matthews- A
    Zaun- B
    Zito- A
    Lilly- B
    Padilla- B
    Meche- B
    Soriano- A
    Garciaparra- B
    Piazza- A
    Lugo- A
    Pettitte- A
    Schmidt- A
    Maddux- A
    Clemens- A
    Mulder- B
    Gagne- A
    Just couple quick question. Does this include the changes in the new CBA. Also how come Wilson is not a type B being that he places OF. Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kobayashimaru
    Just couple quick question. Does this include the changes in the new CBA. Also how come Wilson is not a type B being that he places OF. Thanks.
    Yeah, I thought the new CBA meant only type A players are compensated

NYYF HOF

there is no change in compensation for this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace
    Yeah, I thought the new CBA meant only type A players are compensated
    Only type A players cost the signing team their draft pick.

So by losing Villone we gain the team that signs hims 1st round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Iknowcool
    So by losing Villone we gain the team that signs hims 1st round pick?
    no we get a supplemental round pick and the team that signs him keeps his first round pick. so they dont lose a pick

I think the Yankees should offer Craig Wilson arb. If he accepts he strengthens the bench.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    I think the Yankees should offer Craig Wilson arb. If he accepts he strengthens the bench.
    if torre would ever use him- i agree thought- he plays both corner OF's, 1B, and backup catcher- kills lefties

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hughes Fan
    Only type A players cost the signing team their draft pick.
    I thought that new clause kicked in next year. Not this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    I thought that new clause kicked in next year. Not this off-season.
    It starts this offseason as far as draft choices.
    Draft Choice Compensation
    1. Type C free agents eliminated in 2006
    2. Also in 2006, compensation for type B players becomes indirect (sandwich pick) as opposed to direct compensation from signing Club.
    3. Effective 2007, Type A players limited to top 20 percent of each position (down from 30 percent) and Type B players become 21 percent - 40 percent at each position (rather than 31 percent - 50 percent).
    4. Salary arbitration offer and acceptance dates move to December 1 and December 7.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/p...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

NYYF MVP

For the Yanks:

Sal Fasano
    Miguel Cairo
    Tanyon Sturtze
    Octavio Dotel

C. Lee- A
    Matthews- A
    Zaun- B
    Zito- A
    Lilly- B
    Padilla- B
    Meche- B
    Soriano- A
    Garciaparra- B
    Piazza- A
    Lugo- A
    Pettitte- A
    Schmidt- A
    Maddux- A
    Clemens- A
    Mulder- B
    Gagne- A
    As much as i love mussina, i think its time to let him go for the picks, due to the great talent in this draft.

NYYF Legend

If Cash can't find a good trade partner for Sheff, it may make sense to reject the option and offer arbitration in order to get the 2 picks...agree?

NYYF Legend

I'd like to go after Zaun as backup to Posada.

I do not know if I remember it right, I read somewhere that you can not offer arbitration to a player after you decline his option. If someone has a very good idea, please help.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by nyg02005
    I do not know if I remember it right, I read somewhere that you can not offer arbitration to a player after you decline his option. If someone has a very good idea, please help.
    By declining a players option, you are making them like the rest of your free agents. So you can offer them arbitration after declining their option.

Quote Originally Posted by smorfus
    By declining a players option, you are making them like the rest of your free agents. So you can offer them arbitration after declining their option.
    are you sure? there is a difference bet. a player who has a team option and a player who does not have.

Quote Originally Posted by nyg02005
    are you sure? there is a difference bet. a player who has a team option and a player who does not have.
    It's no different now then it was a couple of years ago when the Yankees declined Lieber's option and received draft choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    It's no different now then it was a couple of years ago when the Yankees declined Lieber's option and received draft choices.
    ok. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    It starts this offseason as far as draft choices.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/p...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    You are right 62- I thought it all kicked in in 2007- but its only the Elias that changes.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/262766.html

This article breaks down each FA who is eligible to be compensated- but notes that teams still have to offer arbitration to get the pick(s).

Therefore, it means the Yanks get no compensation at all for Wilson or Bernie.

If they let Villone go, they would get a sandwich pick and Mussina ans Sheff comp stays the same.

It is alos worth noting that if the Yanks wants some righty power at 1B, Garciaparra is a B, and would not cost the Yanks any picks- instead, the Dodgers would just get a sandwich pick.

The same story applies to Ted Lilly, which explains that huge amount of interest he is now getting.

However, were I the Yanks FO, I think that Vicente Padilla should be their FA target, if they make one- he's a B FA, and he really does have good stuff. Meche is also a B.

Mark Mulder is a B, but I would not even take a chance on him- he just had shoulder surgery in September- nad he still has that hip condition, that just might be degenerative. If anyone remembers Britt Burns, that is the reason why Mulder is not worth looking at for the Yanks.

It is alos worth noting that if the Yanks wants some righty power at 1B, Garciaparra is a B, and would not cost the Yanks any picks- instead, the Dodgers would just get a sandwich pick.

The same story applies to Ted Lilly, which explains that huge amount of interest he is now getting.

However, were I the Yanks FO, I think that Vicente Padilla should be their FA target, if they make one- he's a B FA, and he really does have good stuff. Meche is also a B.

Mark Mulder is a B, but I would not even take a chance on him- he just had shoulder surgery in September- nad he still has that hip condition, that just might be degenerative. If anyone remembers Britt Burns, that is the reason why Mulder is not worth looking at for the Yanks.
    I agree with all but your last paragaraph. I wouldn't give Mulder guaranteed money, well not much, but if he were willing to sign a 2 or 3 year deal full of incentives I'd love to take the chance. I don't think you should count on him contributing of course, just that he could be a huge boost.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    If Cash can't find a good trade partner for Sheff, it may make sense to reject the option and offer arbitration in order to get the 2 picks...agree?
    The problem is that Sheff may accept.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

Quote Originally Posted by sugmasterflex
    i doubt it. shef wants a multi-year deal and doesnt want to play first base

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sugmasterflex
    Sheff stated he doesn't want to play 1st base or DH for a year. I think mainly due to it dropping his image he could play RF....

I'll post this link here so just in case questions arise about who is a A type free agent or not.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=146264

Thread Information