PDA

View Full Version : Who will you root for in the Play-offs?

Pages : [1] 2

Stan Musial
10-07-06, 07:32 PM
Our beloved NYY are out...so, as attention turns to other teams, who will you root for?

National League
- Looks like the Mets will win.
- Cards or Padres. Game 4 with Carp on the hill would seem to favor the Cards

AL
- Tigers..since they did beat NYY and handily
- A's...Beane and the moneyball machine roll on.

I think most can figure whom I will be wathcing for and pulling for.

dabomb2045
10-07-06, 07:33 PM
Baseball season is over. Lets go Jets, Rangers and Notre Dame.

Ghost of Thurman
10-07-06, 07:33 PM

Yup, I'm done. On to the hot stove league!

Stan Musial
10-07-06, 07:34 PM

come on, man...

you still ove baseball...yes, there is a pain after the Yanks lost, but a lot of exciting ball is still to be played.

Albert Pujols...he alone is worth watching.

AlongCameAPrincess
10-07-06, 07:34 PM
What Playoffs? Baseball is done for 2006 as far as I know.

Gone Fishing early.

keg411
10-07-06, 07:35 PM
I enjoy watching baseball and will root for Oakland. If the Cards showed up in 2004, I'd root for them (I'd also root for the Dodgers, but it looks like they're done).

montrealer
Tigers all the way.

Stan Musial
I cant believe this...

Baseball is still a beautiful game, regardless if the Yanks are there. Sure, we all wanted to see them win, but alas, it wasnt meant to be.

Doesnt mean I wont continue watching baseball.

AMYanks
10-07-06, 07:36 PM

Exactly. Same teams for me, as well.

cupcollector99
Someone is playing baseball?? The season ended a few days ago man, wake up..;) ;)

ctyank1
Hey we're baseball fans here (the Jets? they still play football???)

Gotta go with the Tigers - good team, they're not the Mets and they're not from California!

4bronxbombers
No one. I'm done with baseball until April 2007 now that my beloved Yankees are out.

HidekiIrabu
I cant believe this...

Baseball is still a beautiful game, regardless if the Yanks are there. Sure, we all wanted to see them win, but alas, it wasnt meant to be.

I don't really enjoy watching non-yankee games, or games in any sport where I'm not rooting for one team

Vin
10-07-06, 07:37 PM
Muahaha...I can now root for my favorite moneyball team: The A'S! Go A'S!

b_joseph
10-07-06, 07:38 PM
I actually want to Mets to win...but other than the game playing now. I doubt I will watch anymore baseball games the calendar year.

hdb
10-07-06, 07:39 PM
Baseball season is over.

Go Cornhuskers.
Go Cashman is the offseason.

Here's a tip of the hat and a fond goodbye to:
Sheffield
Mussina
Arod
Farnsworth
Wright
RJ

Let's load up on draft picks and young prospects. We'd still be good enough to get to the playoffs and still play better then this laughable collection of old, aging allstars.

BroadwayBomber55
I'm pulling for the A's. Since, "The Monkey" is of not winning a PS series is off their backs, I say with the A's deep pitching staff and solid defense will carry them over the Tigers.

jughead
I want all teams to play horribly. If someone has to win, let that one team manage to have a sloppy and ungratifying World Series win, and then later have it come out that all teams except the Yankees were cheating their butts off

That would satisfy me greatly.

AlongCameAPrincess
10-07-06, 07:40 PM
I cant believe this...

Watching baseball, maybe.

But actually rooting for another team that is not the Yankees.... Nah...... Celebrating another team's victories when the Yanks are at home? I can't. I just can't.

NYYFAN
10-07-06, 07:41 PM
I'll be rooting against the Mets...but not watching, call me when its over...

Stan Musial
10-07-06, 07:41 PM
I'm shocked that so many people here wont watch now that their team is out of it.

I dunno...I'm a baseball fan...I love watching. I will still watch now the Yanks are out of it...and will continue to watch when (and if) my beloved Birds on the Bat are out

ryanthe13th
10-07-06, 07:42 PM
I'd be nice to see Billy Beane finally give his critics the finger. It'd also rule to see The Big Hurt give Chicago the finger.

STNYY
10-07-06, 07:43 PM
I'm with that Fat Bastard Lasorda - "Stop Whining. To the TV!"

I'll be rooting hard against the A's. Their fans are punks (lived in the Bay Area for 13 years and was an A's season ticket holder - so I could go to the Yankee games)

Doesn't matter who wins in the NL, but I hate the Dodgers the most (1981) so I'll be rooting against them.

Tigers are going all the way this year, and that's fine by me. I hate losing to the team that gets beat in the next round. Rogers and Bonderman did something special the last couple of days. If it were any other team but the Yanks they'd receive praise around these parts. We sucked, we lost, may the best team win - the Tigers.

Cap080279
10-07-06, 07:44 PM
I'll be rooting against the Mets...but not watching, call me when its over...

Ditto........damn, it's a long time til March

Danny T's Biceps
10-07-06, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry, but I have no problem pulling for Los Mets this year. I don't think they have the pitching to stop either the A's or the Tigers (who have outstanding pitching).

But darnit - they're a fun, loose team with a nice blend of young and old. And it doesn't hurt that my man Willie Randolph is at the helm.

I hope they at least get to the WS, if not win it.

Darth_Takeo
10-07-06, 07:47 PM
Amen.

...except change that to Bills, Sabres, and Ohio State.

:D

dabomb2045
10-07-06, 07:49 PM
I cant believe this...

Too painful to watch playoff games knowing my team choked and is out.

johnnyyankee
10-07-06, 07:49 PM
Tigers all the way.

I agree. For the most part, I'm done with baseball this season and will not go out of my way to see a game unless it's a seventh game. However, seeing the Tigers CARRY Leyland off the field demonstrated to me that the Tigers are in an emotional place that the Yankees weren't. Good for those hungry guys and I hope they take it all.

BigCheese
10-07-06, 07:51 PM
Dang, I'm surprised so many people aren't even going to bother watching. There are still exciting games to be played, even if they don't involve our Yankees.

I don't know if I'll "root" for any team. If I'm a betting man, I'd say the Tigers are going all the way... they look like the 2005 White Sox reincarnated... great pitching, homeruns that just seems to kill the other team's spirit, all the right plays at the right time... I don't think the A's will be able to stop them.

ericns1
10-07-06, 07:51 PM
The season is over for me but anyone but the Mets!

don4yanks
10-07-06, 07:52 PM
I find baseball to be the most boring of all the major sports to watch. I am a Yankee fan and watch with great interest all of their games but I cannot watch any game they are not playing in. So, for me, the baseball season ended today.

CharmedForever61
I'll probably be rooting for the Mets. I feel that they have momentum on their side and don't see them going down anytime soon Thats my opinion.

yankee maniac
No one. I'm done with baseball until April 2007 now that my beloved Yankees are out.

Same here, I can't watch another game. I can not listen to sports radio. With all the gloating Met fans out there it would be too painful.

ALR83
Whoever is playing the Mets.
A's to beat the Tigers.
Cards to win it all.

Bernie Inferno
Playoffs? What playoffs?

Casey37
10-07-06, 07:53 PM
Screw the Tigers, I've had enough of them. I sincerely hope the A's kick their ass.

CalYankeeFan
10-07-06, 07:53 PM
I really don't care - if there's one thing about this year's playoff pool there's not a team I truly dislike so eliminating them is hard going that route.

Forced to make a pick, the Dodgers would be my first choice (wife's favorite team).

After that - I'll watch, but I'll have no emotion about it - much like Jon Miller when the Yankees turn a double play.

I'll just enjoy the game.

ChrisV82
10-07-06, 07:54 PM
I love baseball. I said to a few other people after game 1 or 2 that I was going to root for the Oakland Athletics if the Yankees lost. I would very much enjoy seeing Billy Beane the computer with his numbers and stats and ignorance of heart/gristle/guts win a championship, thus destroying half of the baseball writers' corps.

There's no way I want to see the Mets win because their fans will be loudmouthed and act like they own the town. As far as I'm concerned, the National League abandoned New York a long time ago, and there's no pride in supporting the crap that replaced the Dodgers and Giants.

The Cardinals are a terribly uninteresting team, even with Pujols. I would also hate to see Weaver enjoy any amount of success.

I really don't have a problem with the Tigers, but I'd rather not seem them win after beating the Yankees.

Should the Padres win, I like them for the NL. Chris Young, Dave Roberts and Mike Cameron all helped me come in first place in my fantasy league. I don't think they'll win because Bochy is an idiot and he started Young in game three. Had he started Young in game 1 like I had been yelling (he didn't hear me), he would now have Young for tomorrow and Wells for game 5.

If the Dodgers pull off a miracle...they're alright. I don't really like them, though.

Anyway, rooting for the A's.

jimmyclark
10-07-06, 07:54 PM
What World Series matchup would have the lowest ratings? Has to be Oakland vs San Diego. A short series should be a ratings loser for FOX and Selig.

yankee maniac
10-07-06, 07:55 PM
I'll probably be rooting for the Mets. I feel that they have momentum on their side and don't see them going down anytime soon Thats my opinion.

I don't know how a true Yankee fan can root for the Mets.

AlongCameAPrincess
10-07-06, 07:56 PM
Screw the Tigers, I've had enough of them. I sincerely hope the A's kick their ass.

Out of rage and dissapointment, I have the same hope as you.

yankeesnum1
I'll be rooting for the NY Rangers and NY Jets

mrs.roy
Not the Mets. That's for sure.

ChrisV82
10-07-06, 07:57 PM
As a P.S., what is with all these Yankees/Jets fans? Giants, people.

dabomb2045
10-07-06, 08:01 PM

Rooting for the Jets this yeas has been fun so far. At least I dont root for another underachieving team ;) :P

CharmedForever61
10-07-06, 08:02 PM

Like I said I feel that momentum is on their side. It's not like I'm a fan of theirs, whatsoever.

ALR83
10-07-06, 08:03 PM

:-werd-:

Panamaniac42
10-07-06, 08:07 PM
Tigers are going all the way this year, and that's fine by me. I hate losing to the team that gets beat in the next round. Rogers and Bonderman did something special the last couple of days. If it were any other team but the Yanks they'd receive praise around these parts. We sucked, we lost, may the best team win - the Tigers.

Didn't they just go all the way? I thought I saw Leyland getting carried off on their shoulders.

Billy #1
10-07-06, 08:07 PM

I don't know how a true new Yorker can root against a home team.

Jackson Heights, Turtle Bay, Yorkville; this homey will be rooting for Brooklyn native Willie Randolph all the way!

Screw the rivalry...

Let's Go Mets!!

hardrain
10-07-06, 08:08 PM
I could give a rat's ass...I am still in shock.

Panamaniac42
Rooting for the Jets this yeas has been fun so far. At least I dont root for another underachieving team ;) :P

In all seriousness the Giants have the feel of the Jets last year. Preseason SuperBowl hype, what a load of junk.

dabomb2045

Jackson Heights, Turtle Bay, Yorkville; this homey will be rooting for Brooklyn native Willie Randolph all the way!

Screw the rivalry...

Let's Go Mets!!

I'd rather throw myself in front of a tractor trailer going 75 then root for the Mets. Never, ever, ever.

metalyank
10-07-06, 08:09 PM
I'll root for any team not named Mets or Tigers.

ThePost
10-07-06, 08:10 PM
Jets and West Virginia Mountaineers

Panamaniac42
10-07-06, 08:10 PM

Screw the rivalry...

Let's Go Mets!!

:uhh:

Does that mean you'd show up to the parade in your orange David Wright jersey?

CalYankeeFan
10-07-06, 08:11 PM

Screw the rivalry...

Let's Go Mets!!

Yeah - I understand the rivalry thing when they play eachother, or competing for headlines - but a lot of people go for the next team in the region - the Mets would be it.

Who did/would you root for in a Met - Red Sox World Series?

mr. coffee
10-07-06, 08:11 PM
I'm rooting for childhood hero, Willie Randolph and the Mets. The sooner he adds a World Series win to his resume', the sooner he becomes a serious contender to succeed Joe Torre "back home" in the Bronx.

To my mind, that stint he's doing over in Queens is just on-the-job training--sort of like an internship. Who wouldn't like to Willie in charge?

Vin
10-07-06, 08:12 PM
To my mind, that stint he's doing over in Queens is just on-the-job training--sort of like an internship. Who wouldn't like to Willie in charge?

I don't, he's more Joe Torre version 2.0. I'd rather have Girardi or Bowa

Toaderly
10-07-06, 08:19 PM
It broke my heart when the Yankees didn't win in 2001. Since then, I've felt NYC was owed a World Series Championship. It looks like it's up to the...I can barely type it...New York Mets to do it this year.

No, screw that. NYC will have to wait until 2007 when the Yankees bring it home. I can't cheer for any of the AL teams this year. I'm pulling for the St. Louis Cardinals.

JoeDfan
10-07-06, 08:19 PM
Just going to root for good baseball. It's a lot less pressure without a dog in the fight.

Rich
10-07-06, 08:20 PM
A T B T M

yankee maniac
10-07-06, 08:20 PM

Screw the rivalry...

Let's Go Mets!!

Ask all the Mets fans who were busy shouting "Yankees suck" on the day the Mets won their division.

dabomb2045
10-07-06, 08:21 PM
It broke my heart when the Yankees didn't win in 2001. Since then, I've felt NYC was owed a World Series Championship. It looks like it's up to the...I can barely type it...New York Mets to do it this year.

No, screw that. NYC will have to wait until 2007 when the Yankees bring it home. I can't cheer for any of the AL teams this year. I'm pulling for the St. Louis Cardinals.

For the first time I can say I'm glad I'm living in MA right now. If I was home in NY, I'd be having to deal with my idiot Mets fans friends talking sh*t. Have to deal with everyone jumping on the Mets bandwagon and wearing Reyes and Wright jerseys.

At least up here...I'm surronded by fans just as depressed as I am

dabomb2045
10-07-06, 08:22 PM
Ask all the Mets fans who were busy shouting "Yankees suck" on the day the Mets won their division.

Seriously, how can ANY Yankee fan root for a team that has a bunch of bitter, ignorant Yankee haters as their fanbase?

CoyoteYankee
10-07-06, 08:24 PM
I think I'll root for the Tigers. Yes, it hurt to get beat by them but before I knew the Yankees were going to play them in the first round I said that if the Yankees don't make it I would root for the Tigers. They have a nice team and I like everyone on that team except for Pudge (well I didn't like them over the past week and it will probably take me a few days to like them again but they are likeable guys).

Panamaniac42
10-07-06, 08:25 PM
Seriously, how can ANY Yankee fan root for a team that has a bunch of bitter, ignorant Yankee haters as their fanbase?

http://www.yankeeshater.com/images/nybanner2.jpg

Toaderly

Name me one fanbase in MLB that isn't full of ignorant Yankee haters. Just one.

ryanm1058123
Jets fans think they got it rough? Try being a WVU fan and watching the Sweet 16 this year

dabomb2045
10-07-06, 08:28 PM

Which is exactly why I dont root for any other teams

AlongCameAPrincess
10-07-06, 08:34 PM
For the first time I can say I'm glad I'm living in MA right now. If I was home in NY, I'd be having to deal with my idiot Mets fans friends talking sh*t. Have to deal with everyone jumping on the Mets bandwagon and wearing Reyes and Wright jerseys.

At least up here...I'm surronded by fans just as depressed as I am

My grandfather already called me to tell me to "join the Mets". The game wasn't even over when he called. :mad: I can unplug the phone and try to not lose my temper.

In 2000 he tried to be funny about the Yanks losing, then we won and he tried to joke about it. This year they'll be no shutting him up. Now my brother is all out rooting for the Mets.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

CharmedForever61
10-07-06, 08:36 PM

Even those Tigers fans in todays game were chanting "Yankees Suck" like its the only thing they can do, just like Red Sox and Mets fans. Thats what you call having an inferiority complex

AlbanyColonieYankee
10-07-06, 08:37 PM
I had originally planned to root for the Twins if the Yankees got knocked out. But they got knocked off before the Yankees did. None of the teams that are left do anything for me. I don't know if I can root for the Mets knowing the torture I will endure from my Met fan co-workers if they win it all.

I guess I am rooting for the Cards for the time being.

BillBuckner
10-07-06, 08:42 PM
The Yankees or no one.

Boogiedown Bomber
10-07-06, 08:43 PM
Why the hell would I root for another team??? Baseball season is over and done for me.

CalYankeeFan
10-07-06, 08:57 PM
Have to admit - Kent just hit a 2 run HR vs the Mets and I got excited again (wife is a Dodger fan). Even Grady Little came out to argue whether Furcal got hit or not - jeez.

SheffRocks11
10-07-06, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna watch the games, but I don't think I can root for anyone.

Sillycon
10-07-06, 09:15 PM
Watching baseball, maybe.

But actually rooting for another team that is not the Yankees.... Nah...... Celebrating another team's victories when the Yanks are at home? I can't. I just can't.

http://www.mochomocho.net/temp/hammer_nail.gif

ColoradoGuy
10-07-06, 09:21 PM
Go Tigers!

And the Arkansas Razorbacks just beat #2 Auburn! :)

theDurk
10-07-06, 09:21 PM
To those who could NEVER root for the Mets: I rooted for the Mets in 1969. There was no arrogant fanbase--there really was NO fanbase. There was just a plucky team that came from a joke of a franchise that was no threat to the Yanks; it was like rooting for your little brother's Little League Team. I couldn't do it now. Go Tigers! You beat us, now go prove to the rest of the world that it wasn't a fluke or totally our fault (maybe only 80%). Above all, don't lose to the National League if you get that far.

houstonnewyawka
10-07-06, 09:25 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I want the Mets to win it all b/c I want New York to succeed. NYC is the best place on earth and a Mets WS victory, while revolting to many Yankee fans, will be good for the NY economy and the city in general.

YankeeinCT
10-07-06, 09:26 PM
If the As make it, I will root for them. Definitely not the Mets or the Tigers.

ThePost
10-07-06, 11:33 PM
Jets fans think they got it rough? Try being a WVU fan and watching the Sweet 16 this year

Paulino ripped our hearts out.

hellonewman
10-07-06, 11:37 PM
A T B T MThat's pretty much where I stand too.

DCfan
10-07-06, 11:38 PM
I find baseball to be the most boring of all the major sports to watch. I am a Yankee fan and watch with great interest all of their games but I cannot watch any game they are not playing in. So, for me, the baseball season ended today.
Surprising to see this on a baseball board. Do a lot of people feel this way?

Baseball's the most exciting major sport by a mile, regardless of who is still playing.

bobbymagee
10-07-06, 11:40 PM
What Playoffs? Baseball is done for 2006 as far as I know.

Gone Fishing early.

Ice fishing????

nyyfanatic85
10-07-06, 11:45 PM
Tigers all the way! Dare I say it, but I enjoy watching that team and I hope they win it all. Their fans deserve it and it would be great for Detroit in general.

Me
10-07-06, 11:58 PM
Go Mets! :P

JDPNYY
10-08-06, 12:00 AM
Baseball is over this year.

TalkYank
10-08-06, 12:06 AM
I'm not rooting for anyone and probably will not watch any of the games. Yankees are out of it...

PuffNettles9
10-08-06, 12:12 AM
I cant believe this...

well said...we all are baseball fans before yankee fans.

Im rooting for the Cards since I was an Ozzie Smith fan

Go Heels! Tar Heels in '07

spyglass
10-08-06, 12:21 AM
I don't know if I will be able to watch much baseball for at least another week (too painful). But I'll be rooting for the A's, I wouldn't root against the Tigers if they got to the WS though.

Anyone but the Mets, please.

Bleys
10-08-06, 05:12 AM
I'll root for the A's. I'd like to see Frank Thomas actually play in the World Series.

I wouldn't mind seeing Albert Pujols for a couple more weeks either. He's certainly fun to watch.

poisonpill
10-08-06, 07:57 AM
I'll root for the Tigers. Leyland is a great manager and it would be nice to see all those young kids win it all. Also they showed they have some ridiculous arms, and as a pitcher, I enjoy watching that.

Chancy23
10-08-06, 08:03 AM
Cardinals......Without a doubt. Probably my second favorite team. At least they seem to play with some FIRE!!!!

Vin
10-08-06, 08:06 AM
My other favorite team: The Athletics. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that

jnewmark
10-08-06, 08:39 AM
I'll root for Oakland, just because I live 50 miles from Detroit, and my telephone has'nt stopped ringing since yesterday with Tigers fans rubbing it in. Go A's !

YankeePride1967
10-08-06, 08:41 AM
who cares.

jnewmark
10-08-06, 08:46 AM
who cares.

Did'nt you watch the Lasorda commercials? ;)

YankeePride1967
10-08-06, 08:47 AM
Did'nt you watch the Lasorda commercials? ;)

He can go dive into another pile of lasagna for all I care ;)

jnewmark
10-08-06, 08:49 AM
He can go dive into another pile of lasagna for all I care ;)

My sentiments exactly !

RIyankee
10-08-06, 08:55 AM
A's

Prior to 1977, I rooted for them.

I'm glad to see the Moneyball A's win their 1st playoff series and get that gorilla off their back.

If my dad were alive today, he'd be laughing at me. He was a long-time Tigers fan.

The Q Bomb
10-08-06, 09:13 AM
I won't watch any more baseball this season. I'm a Yankee fan (a very distressed Yankee fan) not a baseball fan. Right now I hate baseball. I will root for whoever plays The Mets and will root for The American League to win The World Series, as I always do. I won't watch another baseball game until the first Yankee spring training game is aired - if I have even recovered from this horrible ALDS loss by then. Call me a sore loser and you would be right! :(

vegematarian
10-08-06, 09:23 AM
I'll be rooting for the Patriots.

fredgmuggs
10-08-06, 09:23 AM
Normally I hate the Mets and I have an anybody but the Mets attitude.... but one of my dearest friends has been battling cancer this year and he is a huge Mets fan. It's been a tough year for him and the thought of him being able to watch his beloved Mets win the World Series gladdens my heart. Somethings are just more important than petty allegiances. Go Mets...

I Heart Jeter
10-08-06, 09:24 AM
I won't be really rooting for anyone, but I will be rooting against the Mets.
Heck I would have rooted for the Tigers, but after watching Bonderman and Kenny Rogers behavior on the mound when getting outs, and listening to classless "Yankess Suck" chants, no way.

Seth
10-08-06, 09:45 AM
I won't be rooting for anyone in particular. However, I don't want to see the Mets win it and I'll be content as long the AL wins the World Series.

webassign
10-08-06, 10:07 AM
Cardinals.

DkNNy79
10-08-06, 10:16 AM
Baseball season is over for me as well.

I won't be watching the games, but will be rooting for the AL (hopefully Oakland).

DontHateOnNumber2
10-08-06, 10:36 AM
I want the Cardinals to win.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
10-08-06, 01:17 PM
I love baseball, but this season is over for me. I just can't see myself rooting for anyone else. But I will tell you this, I don't want those Mets winning. Yankee Fans, and people all over will never hear the end of it.

GimeMoMuny
10-08-06, 01:21 PM
I want to see Kenny Rogers come full circle with his little vindication and shut the Mets down.

JfromJersey
10-08-06, 01:45 PM
I heard a Met fan say that he was just as happy when the Yankees lost to Detroit as he was when the Mets beat LA.
If the Mets win the WS it will be a living hell for a lot of Yankee fans in the NY/Metro area.

Tal Hawkins
10-08-06, 02:50 PM
I'll root for the A's. I'd like to see Frank Thomas actually play in the World Series.
Ditto. I also like watching Huston Street pitch...he's going to be a great closer for a long time.

NyQuil
10-08-06, 02:53 PM
Oakland.

GregPolo
10-08-06, 03:01 PM
It's completely irrelevant. If the Yanks aren't playing, I don't care who wins or loses.

dander565duff
10-08-06, 03:06 PM
Tigers.....if they pitch like they did against the Yankees it will be a sweep of Oakland and any National League team. I haven't seen anybody like Rogers curve ball and Bonderman and other Tiger pitchers since the likes Of Bob Gibson 1964 and Koufax, Drysdale 1963. I tip my hat to Jim Leyland (Manager of the Yr.) and the Detroit baseball team and organization................

Dynasties R Forever
10-08-06, 05:20 PM
I'd like to see the A's win it all.

dabomb2045
10-08-06, 05:31 PM
I heard a Met fan say that he was just as happy when the Yankees lost to Detroit as he was when the Mets beat LA.
If the Mets win the WS it will be a living hell for a lot of Yankee fans in the NY/Metro area.

This is why I hate Mets fans, would never in a million years root for them.

portman7387
10-08-06, 05:32 PM
Whoever plays the Mets.

audio101
10-08-06, 05:36 PM
hah people would rather watch the jets then play off baseball????

English Yankee
10-08-06, 06:10 PM
I want the Tigers to win. They're scrappy. They're clutch.

bleachersown
10-08-06, 06:13 PM

Notre Dame? ugh.

gold23
10-08-06, 06:13 PM
Tigers. I know Dombrowski from Florida- good guy. I like and respect Leyland. I met Verlander last year at the A/S game in Detroit and was impressed with his demeanor. I like the whole team, except for Pudge.

After that, anyone but the Mets.

ChrisV82
10-08-06, 06:16 PM
I'll be rooting for the Patriots.

I hope you're a Red Sox fan.

2JAY
10-08-06, 06:54 PM
Nobody as baseball officially ended yesterday for me.

jughead
10-08-06, 07:10 PM
I hope you're a Red Sox fan.
Insults like that are against community standards, I think :P

geoffman
10-08-06, 07:13 PM
I'll be rooting for my #2 team the Cards. That didnt do me much good in 2004 though.

jlw1980
10-08-06, 07:19 PM
Denver Broncos.

Baseball is over. I guess I hope the Cards or A's win, but I don't really care too much without my beloved Yankees there. :snooze:

YankeesRule51
10-08-06, 07:55 PM
I don't give a damn who wins the world series now. I'm gonna watch the Jets, Wrestling and the Hot Stove season.

MatsuiFan55
10-08-06, 08:57 PM
It doesn't matter to me. Yeah the Yankees may be out, but like the Tommy Lasorda commericals say I will be following baseball because I love the game. All I hope is that the baseball the rest of the way is as good as it can be.

geoffman
10-08-06, 09:03 PM
Yeah the Yankees may be out, but like the Tommy Lasorda commericals say I will be following baseball because I love the game. All I hope is that the baseball the rest of the way is as good as it can be.

I couldnt have said it better myself. I even find enjoyment in watching little league baseball. I just love the sport of baseball first and the Yankees second. Flame me if you wish.

MattUNC2003
10-08-06, 09:17 PM
A's. They've been my #2 since I read Moneyball when it was new.

LIYanks
10-08-06, 09:32 PM
I will be rooting for the other New York team. It'll be nice to bring the WS trophy back to NYC.

__starr69
10-08-06, 09:34 PM
I'll be pulling for St. Louis from afar. I've got way too much schoolwork to catch up on to watch a team I don't have invested rooting interest in, plus the Giants & Islanders.

__starr69
10-08-06, 09:44 PM
Yeah - I understand the rivalry thing when they play eachother, or competing for headlines - but a lot of people go for the next team in the region - the Mets would be it.

Who did/would you root for in a Met - Red Sox World Series?

If there wasn't a single Met fan, I'd root for the Mets. But if the Mets win it all, I won't hear the end of it until the Yankees win the WS (hopefully 2007, obviously).

As for Mets/Boston, the same thing applies: Boston -- at least their fans (for the most part) are further away. They've won it all on our watch once, what's the difference if they did it again?

Coney36
10-08-06, 10:08 PM
Cards, Tigers, A's, in that order.

cmaff05
10-08-06, 10:11 PM
Paulino ripped our hearts out.

I friggin hate that kid. That dagger was worse than anything that happened yesterday.

Use Ethyl Chloride
10-08-06, 10:24 PM
My preferences are:

1. A's (Barry Zito's audition for the Yankees)
2. Cardinals (a great baseball town)
3. Tigers
4. Cancellation of the World Series

The Mets have an unfair advantage - their total payroll is higher than any of the remaining teams.

JetahFan
10-09-06, 12:27 AM
Tigers because I have money on them. I won't care who wins as long as it's not the Mets. I hate them almost as much as I hate the Red Sox.

ymike673
10-09-06, 12:41 AM
Cardinals beat the Mets in the LCS and then they lose to either A's/Tigers in the Series. Always root for the American League. (Except in 2004).

TMS
10-09-06, 01:58 AM
i'm rooting for the Tigers to beat the Cardinals in the WS.

Illmind
10-09-06, 02:05 AM
i won't be pulling for anyone.

once my team is out and the team i despise is out, there's no reason to root at all...

now it's time to focus on the NFL, NCAA football and get ready for NCAA b-ball.

Yankees13
10-09-06, 02:21 AM
I was planning on rooting for the Cards, but then I realized they would then join us in the double digit WS winner club, so I am now pulling for the Tigers.

just-blaze
10-09-06, 02:45 AM
I was planning on rooting for the Cards, but then I realized they would then join us in the double digit WS winner club, so I am now pulling for the Tigers.

Arent they at 13 or something? Either way, as long as the Mets dont win, Ill be fine. Quite frankly, if they win I could care less. I dont care about the stupid Lasorda commercials, this postseason loss was pretty bad. Foulke the other teams, may they all fall apart.

Dave Visbeck
10-09-06, 03:13 AM
Oakland A's

Casey at the Bat
10-09-06, 03:20 AM
Rooting for the Mets for the rest of the postseason. I won't put money on them though. I had $40 on the tigers, not because I thought they would win (cause I honestly didn't) but cause I would rather lose the money than bet for the yankees. I am sure yankee fans would do the same if the roles were reversed.

Yankees13
10-09-06, 03:23 AM
Arent they at 13 or something? Either way, as long as the Mets dont win, Ill be fine. Quite frankly, if they win I could care less. I dont care about the stupid Lasorda commercials, this postseason loss was pretty bad. Foulke the other teams, may they all fall apart.
The A's and Cards both have 9.

In Mo I Trust
10-09-06, 07:47 AM
A's I guess, I don't really care though.

bardos
10-09-06, 08:16 AM
what playoffs?

lol

10-09-06, 10:08 AM
A lot of folks showing true colors on this thread. Sour grapes et al.

Baseball is the sport being discussed. I will be happy seeing either the A's or Detroit over the NL. I want Detroit, but think it'll be Oakland.

Kulish29
10-09-06, 11:30 AM
Nobody. I'll just be rooting for them to be over as soon as possible so the offseason can begin.

NYJets37
10-09-06, 12:01 PM
Mets.

I normally don't care about the Mets, but I like Willie, I like Wright, I like Reyes, and Pedro isn't pitching, so I'm cheering for them.

Mr. Mxylsplk
10-09-06, 12:35 PM
Mets.

I normally don't care about the Mets, but I like Willie, I like Wright, I like Reyes, and Pedro isn't pitching, so I'm cheering for them.
I like those guys too, particularly Willie. I'd like to see them make it to the WS (the last thing I want to hear over and over is how both NY teams looked so strong in the regular season but managed to flame out in the post-season), but then lose to the A's. I don't need to be surrounded by celebrating Mets fans.

gamesix1977
10-09-06, 12:40 PM
Just can't bring myself to root for the Mets.....

Maynerd
10-09-06, 02:35 PM
Wait a minute. They still keep going with the playoffs after the Yankees are out of it? Who knew?

How long until Spring Training starts?

mitch300
10-09-06, 04:06 PM
As long as the A's don't win I'll be happy. ( as happy as can be with the Yanks out) I like Willie and sice I don't live in N.Y. and don't have to hear about it from the Met fans Go m sorry can't write it. The A's fans suck. Plain and simple. For the A's not to open up the upper deck for the playoffs tells it all. BTW the take the tarp off when the Raiders play so it's not a big production to remove it. Biggest bandwagonners next to 49er fans.

YankeeinCT
10-09-06, 04:11 PM
Now that the players are all set, I'm rooting for the As. There is no way I root for the Mets. My brother is a Mets fan and I attended a great game for them at Shea this season and afterwards all the Mets fans could do was chant "Yankees suck" even though they had won the game with a walk off home run. I will never root for the Mets.

dkman
10-09-06, 04:19 PM
I'm definately rooting for the A's. If they win the WS, all the Moneyball naysayers will be shut up for a while. I'd rather not have to hear it from the Mets fans, the tigers already won the world series (or they think they did the way they celebrated after the end of the ALDS), and I am indifferent about the Cards.

EnricoPalazzo
10-09-06, 04:20 PM
I root for pain. which ever fans will be most devestated by their teams loss is who i root against. right now, that would be the mets.

I would also like the a's to lose so the pocket protector crowd has to shut upI

remembermunson15
10-09-06, 04:33 PM
anyone but the met's.

i rooted for the met's in 86 and 88 even though the yankees were out of it as a new york thing.in 1999 and 2000 i wanted them to make it to the series because i knew what it would mean to new york sports(make it there not win of course)however after 2004 when so many met's fans actually rooted for boston to win and celebrated when they did i never want the met's to win anything again.

i hope they lose miserably this year

ZIM 2002
10-09-06, 04:34 PM
Let it be over quickly and let the Mets not win - I can't stand tht thought of New York celebrating the Mets even more than it is already. I guess I'll root for Detroit - we won't seem so foolish if they beat everyone else.

ericns1
10-09-06, 04:36 PM
I am a Yankee fan more than a baseball fan - that said anyone but the NY Mets (AKA Mutts) - one their weblog in the Star-Ledger they mimicked John Sterling in the revederse - anyone who roost more vs the Yanks than theri team shows something - anyone but the Mets - go Cards and if the Mets get there than the AL

Espinosa's Glasses
10-09-06, 04:37 PM
I'll be rooting for the over and/or under.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
10-09-06, 04:37 PM
Mets, for my old man.

4bronxbombers
10-09-06, 04:39 PM
A lot of folks showing true colors on this thread. Sour grapes et al.

Baseball is the sport being discussed. I will be happy seeing either the A's or Detroit over the NL. I want Detroit, but think it'll be Oakland.

I wouldn't call it sour grapes. If you happen to really root for one team - your team...........what's so terrible about not rooting for some other B team that you really aren't interested in?

Chas956
10-09-06, 04:50 PM
I’m old enough to have hated the Giants & Dodgers when I grew up, so after they left, the Mets were just a curiosity, even when they won it all. I’ve liked the Mets except in the Bonilla-Coleman era and when Valentine, whom I hate, managed them. Besides, I love Willie. So I’m for the Mets; I even got a ticket for NLCS Game 2.

Another reason to root for the Mets and/or Tigers: If either St. Louis or Oakland win the WS, it’ll be their 10th, and our lead on them would be down to only 16 more championships.

Casey37
10-09-06, 06:14 PM
A's or Mets. I don't have a problem with either one of them.

Dr. Gonzo
10-09-06, 06:16 PM
Go Tigers for me

in the end, anyone but the mets

YankeeinCT
10-09-06, 06:19 PM
I'm definately rooting for the A's. If they win the WS, all the Moneyball naysayers will be shut up for a while. I'd rather not have to hear it from the Mets fans, the tigers already won the world series (or they think they did the way they celebrated after the end of the ALDS), and I am indifferent about the Cards.

That's a good point, when the Tigers started spraying champagne all over the fans, they did act like they had won the World Series. Maybe they felt that was as good as it was going to get.

DCfan
10-09-06, 06:22 PM
(off-topic. deleted).

TheBamTino24
10-09-06, 06:46 PM
I'm hoping the Tigers knock off the Cardinals. Validates what happened to us.

Casey at the Bat
10-09-06, 06:55 PM
I'm hoping the Tigers knock off the Cardinals. Validates what happened to us.

You need validation for losing? The only thing it will validate is the thought that the Tigers were a better team than the Yankees. As much as I hate the Yankees, I don't even believe that to be true. Sometimes good teams lose. Looking for validation is pretty close to looking for excuses. If the tigers win it all, then maybe they really were the better team...

Tifoso
10-09-06, 07:08 PM
No one

Casey37
10-09-06, 07:26 PM
No one

Lou...you don't like the A's? Not even a little bit? After all, they're from your neck of the woods....

Me
10-09-06, 07:32 PM
I'm rooting for Jeff Weaver to win game 1.

BostonYankeeBoy
10-09-06, 07:35 PM
I love baseball but I just can't watch it with pain of the Yankees exit still fresh. The good thing is I can go back to rooting for my Boston teams (Celtics, B's, Pats, and BC Football) and not take the abuse of being a Yankees fan until April. I eagerly await to hear my favorite words toward the end of winter and those are "pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training".

TheBamTino24
10-09-06, 07:44 PM
You need validation for losing? The only thing it will validate is the thought that the Tigers were a better team than the Yankees. As much as I hate the Yankees, I don't even believe that to be true. Sometimes good teams lose. Looking for validation is pretty close to looking for excuses. If the tigers win it all, then maybe they really were the better team...

I am sick and tired, already, of hearing how big of an upset it was. The Tigers looked like a great team to me, so maybe a WS trophy will shut up the media.

BW51
10-09-06, 07:45 PM
i'll watch most of the games because i'm enough of a baseball fan...

...i'll even watch, but not root for, the mets because they play an exciting brand of ball

BW51
10-09-06, 07:51 PM
plus....the cards are my favorite nl team, so maybe i'll be watching them a little

Yankeedave
10-10-06, 02:37 AM
I thought the play-offs ended saturday? ;)

suha
10-10-06, 07:02 AM
I'm with that Fat Bastard Lasorda - "Stop Whining. To the TV!"

I'll be rooting hard against the A's. Their fans are punks (lived in the Bay Area for 13 years and was an A's season ticket holder - so I could go to the Yankee games)

Doesn't matter who wins in the NL, but I hate the Dodgers the most (1981) so I'll be rooting against them.

I agree, I'm definitely pulling for the Tigers. In fact, after I calmed down from Saturday, I thought about it and realized that if one team of the other 7 was going to beat the Yankees, I'm glad it was the Tigers, since they actually ARE a good team and they have the coolest manager in baseball.

Yanknut023
10-10-06, 08:11 AM
The Cards let me down in 2004, hopefully they do not do the same in 2006.

BRNXBMRS
10-10-06, 08:14 AM
I will be rooting for any team who plays the Mets.

johnnyyankee
10-10-06, 10:23 AM
The team with the lowest payroll, so I guess the A's.

IrishDancer
10-11-06, 11:43 AM
Playoffs? What playoffs? Playoffs are a series of post season exhibition games designed to provide the Yankees to represent the American League and some losing team to represent the National League in the World Series. If the Yankees go home without winning four World Series games, then the playoffs and/or World Series do not exist for that year. <p>

IRISH DANCER's DADDY

CommerceComet
10-11-06, 01:43 PM
I might watch some of the games because I love baseball. However, projects that were put on the back-burner in order to make time to watch Yankee games will now take priority over watching baseball. Now that the Yankees are out, I really don't care who wins or loses. I have no loyalty to nor animosity against any of the teams remaining in the post-season.

pembroke pines
10-11-06, 01:49 PM
anybody the mets play

ChrisV82
10-11-06, 02:40 PM
I would also like the a's to lose so the pocket protector crowd has to shut upI

Yarr smart people make me so angry grrr rarr!

Shankly
10-12-06, 03:10 PM
The past two years I wanted The Cards and the Astro's to win cos I didn't want either Sox teams to win and I hate Pierzynski(sp). This year i don't know. I'm not from NY so don't know quite what to do with the Mets, either root for them cos of them being from NY or not, because they are local rivals.
I would probably want the A's to win due to all the moneyball stuff and their small payroll but it looks like the Tigers are on their way to the WS, so I'm stuck now. The reason I don't want the Tigers to win is because they were crap last year so I can't believe they are actually a good team or just a fluke. So, even though I prefer the AL I will probably root for the Cards if the A's don't make it. Fat Albert is brilliant.

aayankeesfan
10-12-06, 03:12 PM
yep anyone that plays the Mets
Go Cards

cmaff05
10-12-06, 03:13 PM
if the yankees aren't in the playoffs, i'll root for the red sox to win the ws.

SINCE77 2
10-12-06, 05:31 PM
Mets.

mrmike98
10-12-06, 07:41 PM
anybody the mets play

Same here.

Yanknut023
10-12-06, 10:24 PM
Go Cards

I second that!!

Go get'em in game 2 Cards!!!

JeffWeaverFan
10-12-06, 10:31 PM
I will be rooting for any team who plays the Mets.
Me too.

Stan Musial
10-13-06, 03:05 AM
How any self-respecting Yanks fan can root for the Muts is beyond me.

Let's not forget their massive inferiority complex and how it manifests itself every 10 years when they actually produce.

These a-holes will be unbearable when and if they win the WS.

No thanks...

Stan Musial...Dizzy Dean..Rogers Hornsby..Bob Gibson..Jack Clark..Ozzie Smith..John Tudor...Albert Pujols.

Cards all the way, baby

ymike673
10-13-06, 07:37 AM
I really hate seing another "Wild Card" team win but anything's better than the Mets winning it. GO TIGERS!!!

NYIndian2005
10-13-06, 07:40 AM
Maybe we should have signed Beltran. At this point I am rooting for the Mets. At least they didn't choke in the first round.

effdamets
10-13-06, 07:46 AM
Someone is going to have to convince me, why the Mets won't win the World Series. The Cardinals bite, Oakland has nothing, and the Tigers are playing way over their heads and will eventually crash back down to earth. Plus, it seems as though the Mets are "charmed" right now. Everytime an opposing player hits the ball hard, it goes right at someone.

Mets = 2007 World Champs.

ppa79
10-13-06, 08:27 AM
I hope everyone loses somehow.

ymike673
10-13-06, 08:34 AM
Maybe we should have signed Beltran. At this point I am rooting for the Mets. At least they didn't choke in the first round.

Beltran's first season on the Mets he was booed for his poor play as much as A-Rod is now so I am glad the Yankees did not go for him. If the Mets had played the Tigers in the first round instead of the Dodgers they could have been gone also. After the Mets every other playoff team in the NL would have had like the 7th best record in the AL. The Mets are a very good team but they are facing much easier teams then the Yanks had to face.

DCfan
10-13-06, 08:52 AM
Someone is going to have to convince me, why the Mets won't win the World Series. The Cardinals bite, Oakland has nothing, and the Tigers are playing way over their heads and will eventually crash back down to earth. Plus, it seems as though the Mets are "charmed" right now. Everytime an opposing player hits the ball hard, it goes right at someone.

Detroit was the best team in baseball for most of the season, and even with their late-season fade, had essentially the same record as the Mets despite playing in a vastly superior league. While I guess it's impressive that the Mets are 4-0 in the postseason, those wins are against the 88-win Dodgers and the 83-win Cards, and three wins were at home.

They look good now, and will make the World Series, but do you really think that a rotation including Maine, Trachsel and Perez is going to beat an American League team? I don't.

Slyde Slick
10-13-06, 08:53 AM
1) I'm a baseball fan, which is why I'm even interested in the Yankees. It's abeautiful game, and the postseason just crystallizes everything we watched for 6-7 months. Granted, my favorite team is unfortunately gone, but I can't just not watch. Now, if we got obviously screwed over by some crazy play or MLB decision, the boycott would be in full effect. But as it stands, we got our henies handed to us, so it's time to move on, no?

2) I gotta agree with the Mets hate. The sad thing is, I have nothing against the Mets, and would love nothing more than to see them win it all....EXCEPT for the insufferable Mets fans. I mean, they have to be taught how to win. I know a couple kids who have been coming up to me since the Mets looked like they might do something this year, gloating and whining about "Mets this, Yankees that". The punks had the nerve to confront me about the Yanks losing a couple games to the Devil Rays at the end of the season as evidence that the Yanks were done!!! (Meanwhile, at the same time, the Mets were getting spanked up by double-digit runs on back-to-back nights in Atlanta. Go fig.)

It's like Eddie Murphy said...you give a cracker to a starving person, and they're gonna say, "THIS IS THE BEST CRACKER I EVER TASTED IN MY LIFE!!!!! Was that a Ritz!!?!? I swear that was a Ritz....*scrapes molars*"

Well, I'm not ready for 12 months of Met fans acting like they are the kings of the world, and, alternately, flicking Ritz cracker residue at me as they wag their fingers in superiority. I say Cardinals in 6...but even if not, whoever wins from the AL will receive my support, loathe as I may be to cheer for the team that just beat us.

The way I see it: Cards in 6, Tigers in 6, Cards in 7.

Quangormo
10-13-06, 09:42 AM
I went to college about 90 miles west of Detroit, so go Tigers.

Maybe we can get a 1968 World Series rematch.

mr G
10-13-06, 10:40 AM
Go Cards

i agree !!!

YankeeClass
10-13-06, 02:31 PM

Nearly the best record in baseball is not a fluke. Even after the August/September swoon, they were still in the top two or three. A month can be a fluke, maybe two. Not over 162 games. Eventually, you find out you're just a good team. And believe.

I'm for the Tigers and Gum Time!

CUBuffEQMgr
10-13-06, 02:36 PM

Guess you will have a long, long fall and winter following these teams.

Murcer1
10-13-06, 04:08 PM
I'm gonna root for the Tigers. Then if they win the World Series at least I can rationalize that we got beaten by the eventual world champs.

CoyoteYankee
10-13-06, 04:10 PM

Yes, but who is going to win THIS year? :P

YFANinMA
10-13-06, 06:53 PM
I'm gonna root for the Tigers. Then if they win the World Series at least I can rationalize that we got beaten by the eventual world champs.

Amen!
Better yet: If the Tigers beat the Muts in the WS - the Y's are of the hook cause the
Muts will suck too!
(Of course I probably just jinxed this possibility by writing it).

Dr. Gonzo
10-13-06, 06:55 PM
anyone but the mets, but lets go tigers

4bronxbombers
10-13-06, 06:55 PM
I hope everyone loses somehow.

:lol: Me too. I got the old sour grapes thing going on! :lol:

BillBuckner
10-14-06, 10:51 AM
Lets go Red Birds.

GreenGrass
10-14-06, 04:51 PM
I'm rooting for Oakland to come back from their 3-game deficit. Let Detroit take some of the heat from the Yanks for blowing a three-game lead.

NYIndian2005
10-15-06, 09:41 AM
I am so ashamed of this group of yankees. Look at Detroit and look at their players. I wish the yankees had some of that heart to win. What a bunch of chokers. really makes me angry.

yankees101
10-15-06, 09:54 AM
If DET goes on to win 4 straight games against the two weaker NL counterparts then the Yankees would be the only team to get a win vs. them. Not exactly what we're looking for but shows we COULD have beaten them and probably had the best chance and let it slip away by "choking"

YankeesRule51
10-15-06, 11:27 AM
I want the Mets to beat the living hell out of the Tigers for what they did to the Yankees earlier.

ChocolateGirl
10-16-06, 06:25 PM
anyone but the mets, but lets go tigers

Well my thoughts exactly. I am rooting for the Cards. If that doesn't work out then God forgive me, but Go Tigers. :(

Vin
10-16-06, 10:05 PM
I'll be forced to root for the Mets since the Tigers beat my New York Braves.

effdamets
10-17-06, 10:27 AM
I'll root for any team that is not a wild card team....

DCfan
10-17-06, 10:40 AM
I'll root for any team that is not a wild card team....
Absolutely!

We can't have illegitimate teams like the 95-win (now 102-win) Detroit Tigers winning it all where there are legitimate champions like the St. Louis Cardinals involved. They won almost 84 games this season; only 12 teams won more than they did!

pjfan
10-17-06, 10:45 AM
I'm pulling for the Mets

effdamets
10-17-06, 10:53 AM
Absolutely!

We can't have illegitimate teams like the 95-win (now 102-win) Detroit Tigers winning it all where there are legitimate champions like the St. Louis Cardinals involved. They won almost 84 games this season; only 12 teams won more than they did!
But you see... You're missing the point. First, this is my opinion. If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

Second, I'm a baseball traditionalist and believe that when you are a 2nd place team over a 162 game schedule, you don't deserve a shot at the title. Especially when the 2nd place team gets the same advantage as a team that did prove itself over the course of 162 games....

The St. Louis Cardinals beat out the teams in their own division. Of which, MLB plays a retarded unbalanced schedule to determine those division winners.

Now, I never said that the Tigers were "illigitimate", did I? I am personally against the way the WC system as it is right now.

So be please be careful on who you decide to take pot shots at on these boards.....

DCfan
10-17-06, 11:01 AM
Second, I'm a baseball traditionalist and believe that when you are a 2nd place team over a 162 game schedule, you don't deserve a shot at the title. Especially when the 2nd place team gets the same advantage as a team that did prove itself over the course of 162 games........
Actually, they didn't have the same advantage. The Yanks had home-field advantage in the first round, and the A's (despite having a worse record than Detroit) had the home-field advantage in the second round.

It's certainly reasonable to argue that the best team over 162 games should automatically go to the World Series, just like in the pre-1969 days. But, since that's not the system, it's really tough to argue that Detroit didn't prove itself -- factoring in the post-season, Detroit has the best record in baseball, doesn't it?

PalmerGA
10-17-06, 11:27 AM
I am now rooting for St. Louis over the Mutts ('cause I hate the Mutts) and will then be rooting for the NL team to win the series... because Wild Card teams have no business in the WS (or even the playoffs).If you can't win your division... GO HOME!

ymike673
10-17-06, 11:34 AM
I hate 'Wild Cards", but no way I could ever want the Mets to win. Who wants to hear those Mets fans next season. If its Cardinals I hope they beat Detroit. But if the Mets are in the Series, GO TIGERS!

effdamets
10-17-06, 11:36 AM
Actually, they didn't have the same advantage. The Yanks had home-field advantage in the first round, and the A's (despite having a worse record than Detroit) had the home-field advantage in the second round.

It's certainly reasonable to argue that the best team over 162 games should automatically go to the World Series, just like in the pre-1969 days. But, since that's not the system, it's really tough to argue that Detroit didn't prove itself -- factoring in the post-season, Detroit has the best record in baseball, doesn't it?
You're still missing the point. I'm not advocating a team advancing to the World Series, automatically.

The A's, over a 162 game schedule, beat out the teams in their division. They got the same reward as the 2nd place Tigers team. 2 home games in the first round of the playoffs.

It is impossible to say who is a better team than another because of the unbalanced schedule. At least intradivisionally (if that is a word)

The Tigers got to play 19 games against the Royals. They were something like 15-4. Against the NL they were 15-3. They played different teams than that of the Oakland A's and New York Yankees. But, they played the same teams as the Minnesota Twins, yet were unable to prove they were better than Minnesota over the long season. However, they got the same treatment in the post season as a team that DID prove they were better than the rest of their own division, the A's. (correct me if I'm wrong here)

So, winning your division has become not needed when it comes to the post season because you can still be a 2nd place team and be the champions of the world, you just can't be champions against common foes in your own division. I see. So, why not throw away the divisions? If they did that, the Tigers probably wouldn't have made the playoffs because they were under .500 against a stronger AL east and barely .500 against the west.

So which team is better? It's hard to determine. Mostly because of the way the schedule is set up.

I am not for eliminating the Wild Card. I am for not giving them as much advantage in the post season as they currently have. I'll say it again..... I don't like the WC system that is currently in place as I feel a 2nd place team needs to overcome more obstacles, to prove itself more against the teams that won their respective divisions during the course of the long, 162 game season. After all, isn't that the reason MLB plays 162 games? So that the cream will rise to the top? Not so that the cream under the cream will come out the victor.....

And for these reasons, I will root for the Wild Card team to NOT win the World Series.

DCfan
10-17-06, 12:13 PM
The A's, over a 162 game schedule, beat out the teams in their division. They got the same reward as the 2nd place Tigers team. 2 home games in the first round of the playoffs.
The A's got a different award; home-field advantage against Detroit in the LCS. Detroit didn't get that.

I totally understand your points. Really, I do. But if the point is, as you say, to have the "cream rise to the top," I don't see how that didn't happen this year. Detroit was the best team most of the season. They destroyed two good teams in the playoffs. They now own the best record in all of baseball.

(I disagree that the AL Central was weaker than the AL East this year. Detroit was better than Toronto, Chicago was better than Boston, and Cleveland was better than Baltimore. KC was probably better than Tampa Bay too.)

effdamets
10-17-06, 12:33 PM
The A's got a different award; home-field advantage against Detroit in the LCS. Detroit didn't get that.

I totally understand your points. Really, I do. But if the point is, as you say, to have the "cream rise to the top," I don't see how that didn't happen this year. Detroit was the best team most of the season. They destroyed two good teams in the playoffs. They now own the best record in all of baseball.

(I disagree that the AL Central was weaker than the AL East this year. Detroit was better than Toronto, Chicago was better than Boston, and Cleveland was better than Baltimore. KC was probably better than Tampa Bay too.)
But Oakland had to overcome an obstacle in the 1st round to get that so called 'advantage'. To me, having one less home game in a 5 game series, isn't bad. That means you only have to win one game on enemy territory and then win two on your own turf. Again, to me, that is too easy a road into the next round, for team that really didn't prove anything over the long haul proving ground of 162 games....

The cream did rise to the top. The Twins were better than the Tigers. You can't go by "most of the year" though. That is like saying the team that is leading after 8 innings should win because they lead most of the game. The season is 162 games long... It is not how you start the race, it is how you finish it.

The case of thinking which division was better is an opinion. I respect your opinion that you think the East was weaker than the Central (I really don't care). But be careful. That arguement is contradicting your feelings on the Tigers being the 2nd best team when they had a losing record against the 'weaker' division. My contention is, if Detroit were a memeber of the AL east this year, and had to play the Yankees, Red Sox, Toronto, Tampa, and Baltimore 19 times each, they probably wouldn't have won 95 games as they did. A team's record is not indicative of how good a team they are when compared to a team outside of their division....

DCfan
10-17-06, 12:41 PM
The cream did rise to the top. The Twins were better than the Tigers. You can't go by "most of the year" though. That is like saying the team that is leading after 8 innings should win because they lead most of the game. The season is 162 games long... It is not how you start the race, it is how you finish it.
This kinda begs the question, doesn't it? Is Minnesota "better" because, over a 162-game season, they won one more game than Detroit did? Maybe. But isn't it possible that Detroit was in fact better because, when it mattered, they went 7-1 while Minnesota went 0-3? If your answer to the second question is no, then the only solution is to go back to the pre-1969 format. I'd actually be fine with that -- it would have been thrilling to see the Yanks, Tigers, and Twins go toe-to-toe in the final weeks. (As it happened, all three teams relaxed once the post-season was wrapped up, so I put relatively little stock into those teams' final records, especially since, as you've pointed out, they played different schedules.)

fredgmuggs
10-17-06, 12:49 PM
I am now rooting for St. Louis over the Mutts ('cause I hate the Mutts) and will then be rooting for the NL team to win the series... because Wild Card teams have no business in the WS (or even the playoffs).If you can't win your division... GO HOME! Would you being saying that if the Yankees were the wild card team? I feel the same way, but I wonder if the Yankees won the wild card if I would suddenly pretend that they didn't exist? I know in 1995 I was rooting for the Yankees.

ryanthe13th
10-17-06, 12:50 PM
Lets go Cardinals.

effdamets
10-17-06, 02:12 PM
This kinda begs the question, doesn't it? Is Minnesota "better" because, over a 162-game season, they won one more game than Detroit did? Maybe. But isn't it possible that Detroit was in fact better because, when it mattered, they went 7-1 while Minnesota went 0-3? If your answer to the second question is no, then the only solution is to go back to the pre-1969 format. I'd actually be fine with that -- it would have been thrilling to see the Yanks, Tigers, and Twins go toe-to-toe in the final weeks. (As it happened, all three teams relaxed once the post-season was wrapped up, so I put relatively little stock into those teams' final records, especially since, as you've pointed out, they played different schedules.)
I see what you are saying and I agree with it.... somewhat. It is much easier to be better over a short period of time than it is over 180 days because over the 180 day period, you have to test/use/expose every single facet of your club. I don't think that Kenny Rogers could put together 35 starts of what we've seen in his last two (for example).

I'm not fine with the pre 1969 format. I understand the economics and the WC is actually good for baseball. But, the playoff system, I feel, is broken.

GoYanks
10-18-06, 10:53 PM
I'm surprised to see this happening, but I'm all for the Mets and Willie, along with most of my die-hard Yankee fan friends, including those born in the Bronx.

If the Mets don't make the WS, I'll have to root for the Cards (my Dad's team -- the only team west of the Mississippi when he was growing up). If the Tigers win, so be it, but I'm not crazy about that team.

Kulish29
10-19-06, 09:56 AM
I hope some team sweeps in the World Series. I want it to be the offseason already.

Bern baby Bern!
10-19-06, 11:36 AM
IMO, you cannot be a yankee fan and root for the Mets even if you live in NY..
Let's go Cards!

Jersey Yankee
10-19-06, 02:26 PM
I'll root for the Cards to get 5 more wins.

Jersey Yankee
10-19-06, 02:27 PM
I'm surprised to see this happening, but I'm all for the Mets and Willie, along with most of my die-hard Yankee fan friends, including those born in the Bronx.

If the Mets don't make the WS, I'll have to root for the Cards (my Dad's team -- the only team west of the Mississippi when he was growing up). If the Tigers win, so be it, but I'm not crazy about that team.
If the Mets make and win the WS, we'll never hear the end of it. They'll act like one postseason where the Yanks did make it is the equivalent of several WS wins by the Yanks, when the Mets did NOT make it. Huge difference.

goin for 27
10-19-06, 02:28 PM
I'll be forced to root for the Mets since the Tigers beat my New York Braves.

That REALLY hurts....:(

Can't argue though....

goin for 27
10-19-06, 02:36 PM
I am now rooting for St. Louis over the Mutts ('cause I hate the Mutts) and will then be rooting for the NL team to win the series... because Wild Card teams have no business in the WS (or even the playoffs).If you can't win your division... GO HOME!

That's ridiculous. The Wild Card is not pulled out of a hat the last day of the season. Every team knows what it takes to get into the post season.

It is not much different than saying a National League team has no business winning the WS.

St Louis is in a division where Houston finished 2 games over .500, and the rest of the division was under .500. Is it okay if they win?

It is not like the divisions are balanced.....

Toaderly
10-20-06, 06:07 AM
Glad to see the Cardinals beat the Mets last night. I'm not too sure they have much of a chance against the Tiger's pitching. Nevertheless, I'll still be cheering for them.

I Heart Jeter
10-20-06, 09:04 AM
I think I'm rooting for the Tigers, at least that way the Yanks lost to the "best" team... But at this point I'm mostly indifferent. Once the Yankees are out I'm basically rooting against teams anyway.

Hildy910
10-20-06, 09:09 AM
I am greatly looking forward to this WS, and watching the Tigers go all the way. I'd love to see a 2004-style sweep of the Cardinals. I can't stand Tony La Russa.

njyankeesfan
10-20-06, 11:18 AM
I'm not really "rooting" for anyone; once the Yankees are out, I'm no longer emotionally invested and just watch the games because they're good (usually) baseball games. Since the Tigers beat the Yankees, and since the Cardinals have a habit of not doing too well in the WS, it would be some vindication if the team that beat the Yankees went on to win the WS.

gamesix1977
10-20-06, 02:21 PM
If you do beat the Yanks in the playoffs you have a pretty good chance to win the WS. Four out of the past five years the Yanks have lost to the eventual WS champ.
2001 - Dbacks beat Yanks in WS
2002 - Yanks lose to Angels in playoffs, Angels go on to win Series
2003 - Marlins beat Yanks in WS
2004 - We all know what happened
2005 - The exception that proves the rule! ChiSox win it all.
Looks good for Detroit based on this model

GoYanks
10-22-06, 10:53 PM
If the Mets make and win the WS, we'll never hear the end of it. They'll act like one postseason where the Yanks did make it is the equivalent of several WS wins by the Yanks, when the Mets did NOT make it. Huge difference.

Well, I guess we're not worrying about that anymore (good point though). Now I'm rooting for the Cards, but I confess that my emotional investment is minimal.

DJ27
10-23-06, 10:14 AM
I thought the baseball season was over???;)

Yankees Insanity4
10-24-06, 01:08 PM
The Cards better win every one of these home games coming up. I cannot stand the Tigers. They went from being awful against good teams in the regular season to being amazing in the postseason. I just don't get it.

kino4
10-24-06, 01:24 PM
The Cards better win every one of these home games coming up. I cannot stand the Tigers. They went from being awful against good teams in the regular season to being amazing in the postseason. I just don't get it.

It has been reported that Bubba has been seen in the Tiger's dugout giving them an unknown substance to put on their hands or gloves. Further news will be forthcoming.

DCfan
10-24-06, 01:29 PM
Among AL playoff teams, Detroit had the best regular-season record against other playoff teams, FYI.