PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Drink?

WashingtonYankee
09-22-06, 02:41 AM
So, we have a beer page. However, we don't have a page for like mixed drinks and shots and the rest.

But what about mixed drinks? Shots? I'm a new 21 year old and I want to try stuff and I'm sick of the same things! So, what do you guys drink? And if beer- fine... just say it. :P

PaulieIsAwesome
09-22-06, 03:02 AM
I like a martini. It took a long time to get used to (gin is, how do you say it, distinctive- that is to say, for a newbie, it's terrible: the taste is just much stronger than vodka) but if it's well mixed it's one of my favorite drinks.

I also like scotch. Almost any brand or kind. That's the only alcohol that I ever drank so much of I became stupid drunk (also known as Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS.)

jlw1980
09-22-06, 05:55 AM
*Midori sour
*Captain Morgan & Coke/Cherry Coke (add Malibu or Parrot Bay and it's even better :ga-ga: )
*Cranberry & Vodka (recommend Smirnoff Black Cherry Vodka...EXCELLENT w/ cranberry :drool: )
*Oatmeal Cookie shots - have Goldschlager and taste just like the cookies...but get you wasted :D
*Amaretto sour
*Tom Collins
*Strawberry Daiquiri

Big_E
09-22-06, 06:06 AM
Does Diet Coke with Lime count as a mixed drink if I add the lime myself?

jlw1980
09-22-06, 06:08 AM
Does Diet Coke with Lime count as a mixed drink if I add the lime myself?

Are you using lime juice or are you just dropping a lime slice into the Diet Coke? We can't answer your question without this vital information. :D

Bub
09-22-06, 06:51 AM
Pina Colada, but you have to find someplace who knows how to make it right, with fresh ingredients. So far, the only place that does it right that I've found is the Hyatt Regency Maui bar, located in the cave.

Toaderly
09-22-06, 06:58 AM
Back when I used to drink, I always loved a good Manhattan, or perhaps an Old Fashioned. If I was in a sipping mood, I'd get some Bushmills.

DaBomber25
09-22-06, 07:17 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=82258&highlight=Drink (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=82258&highlight=Drink)
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=78023&highlight=Drink (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=78023&highlight=Drink)

Bosox Guy in Chitown
09-22-06, 07:20 AM
I mostly do mixed drinks on business trips and I stick to two drinks. If it's any-bar USA, I do a vodka tonic. Simple, easy - no surprises.

If it's a place known for martinis, I go with my favorite of all drinks. A Sapphire gin martini, with extra dry vermouth. I like the vermouth to wash the ice, and then be drained off. And I like the gin to be stirred in the shaker with the ice, not shaken. Shaking gin damages the aroma and flavor (also clouds it). Top that off with two or three olives. I'll have a martini at home, but mainly I drink wine at home.

Trish
09-22-06, 07:20 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=82258&highlight=Drink (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=82258&highlight=Drink)
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=78023&highlight=Drink (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=78023&highlight=Drink)

Oh c'mon...we need as many threads on this topic as possible:D

Trish
09-22-06, 07:21 AM
I mostly do mixed drinks on business trips I stick to two drinks. If it's any-bar USA, I do a vodka tonic. Simple, easy - no surprises.

If it's a place known for martinis, I go with my favorite of all drinks. A Sapphire gin martini, with extra dry vermouth. I like the vermouth to wash the ice, and then be drained off. And I like the gin to be stirred in the shaker with the ice, not shaken. Shaking gin damages the aroma and flavor (also clouds it). Top that off with two or three olives. I'll have a martini at home, but mainly I drink wine at home.

Why is it called a Sapphire gin martini? Is that the brand of the gin?

I don't get out much :lol:

DaBomber25
09-22-06, 07:22 AM
Oh c'mon...we need as many threads on this topic as possible:D

I just enjoy the Search feature on this site so much 'cause it's just so fun and easy to use! ;)

Bosox Guy in Chitown
09-22-06, 07:28 AM
Why is it called a Sapphire gin martini? Is that the brand of the gin?

I don't get out much :lol:

Yes, it is. Sorry - I wrote it like I order it.

http://www.877spirits.com/store/images/large/5628a.jpg

Barb51850
09-22-06, 07:42 AM
White or red wine - very dry.

Scotch - Glenlivit

I drink a beer maybe once or twice a year - Budweiser.

I also love pina coladas in the summer.

Barb51850
09-22-06, 07:43 AM
Pina Colada, but you have to find someplace who knows how to make it right, with fresh ingredients. So far, the only place that does it right that I've found is the Hyatt Regency Maui bar, located in the cave.

I'm in charge of making the pina coladas when my friends and I get together. I never use a mix.

yanksrule69
09-22-06, 07:49 AM
So, we have a beer page. However, we don't have a page for like mixed drinks and shots and the rest.

But what about mixed drinks? Shots? I'm a new 21 year old and I want to try stuff and I'm sick of the same things! So, what do you guys drink? And if beer- fine... just say it. :P

If you're a new 21 year old and you're already sick of the same things there's no hope for you!

EnglishYanqui
09-22-06, 08:35 AM
My regular favorite mixed drink

Take one 16oz-20oz glass (heavy is good)
fill with ice (not crushed)
add 1/4(to taste) inch Jim Beam Rye
top with prerefrigerated cola (I go with Pepsi, but we could agree to differ here)

I'd primarily identify myself as a rye/scotch drinker, although I've tried a LOT of different spirits.

IMO its best to stick to fundamentals when mixing drinks. Typically don't bother with expensive brands for mixed drinks, with the exception of Vodka.

I'm not a great fan of bourbons, and I've tried everyone I've been able to. Rye whisky, to me, is superior, even if the general perception is its a "lower class/quality/whatever" drink.

I like Isle of Islay single malts. Lagavulin(15) and Springbank(15). From other areas, I'm also a huge fan of Dalwhinnie(14) and very occasionally, Talisker (40). A little pure ice if I'm adding anything.

Other mixed drinks... I like Mojitos, Pina Coladas and barely iced Margarita's.

Simple syrup,Coco Lopez, Rose's lime, Bacardi Coco, ice, mint sprigs and seltzer to taste. Using Bacardi Coco rather than regular rum is a great choice. Parrot Bay is simply a widely advertised rum, and I don't think its superior, in any way.

10 Cane, however, is a superior rum. Really the first premium rum to offer significantly more, even though it is a LVMH vehicle. It's finer than a traditional first press, and interestingly, uses virgin sugarcane rather than mollasses. Pretty much a waste in a cocktail, it has fabulous bold notes that muddle the classics, like Cuba Libre's. Great, but drink it straight, with a little soda or ice.

Margarita's are a favorite, because you can do so much with them. Leroux Triple Sec or Contreau, dash of Rose's, good blue agave tequila and plenty of fresh squeezed lime, with fresh lime wedges and shots on the side. I'm not a fan of salt rimmed glasses. I often dilute these.. I think they can be too bold uncut, and never use crushed ice (although I love frozen pina coladas.)

In the way of Tequilas, you don't need to go nuts. If you like a very assertive tequila, I'd recommend Sauza Hornitos. A reposada tequila and the hardest most "tequila" one at that. I'd use this in mixed drinks because its a very good value, and assertive enough not to get drowned.

Sauza Blanco is a classic (not 100% agave) white tequila. Patron and Don Eduardo (abeit another LVMH vehicle) are also both good, if you like your margarita's classically smooth. Del Maguey San Luis del Rios, however, is something incredible. Single malt quality tequila, although tough to source and not cheap. I've avoided Cuervo since I was informed that they used caramel for color in Cuervo Gold.

DontHateOnNumber2
09-22-06, 08:58 AM
My favorite drinks as of 9-22-2006 are as follows:

- Chocolate milk
- Dr Pepper
- Lemonade
- Oolong tea (hot)
- root beer/cream soda

No alcohol for me just yet. :D

koko
09-22-06, 09:00 AM
Southern Comfort on the rocks with a lemon

BrooklynBotz
09-22-06, 09:10 AM
Back when I used to drink, I always loved a good Manhattan, or perhaps an Old Fashioned. If I was in a sipping mood, I'd get some Bushmills.
Manhattans and Old Fashions are great. I just learned about them, my fiance is a bartender and she can make really good ones. Can't have too many though cause they will mess you up quick.

chanman7483
09-22-06, 09:22 AM
Vodka tonic

Casey37
09-22-06, 09:47 AM
Liquor - Jack Daniels or Courvoisier
Beer - Killian's Irish Red

Cheers. :gulp:

PaulieIsAwesome
09-22-06, 09:55 AM
I mostly do mixed drinks on business trips and I stick to two drinks. If it's any-bar USA, I do a vodka tonic. Simple, easy - no surprises.

Ooo. The only perfect martini I ever had was Sapphire , at a nice dinner with my parents and some friends.

destelle
09-22-06, 10:00 AM
i love me a nice dirty vodka martini, or a nice vodka gimlet made with fresh lime juice, not roses ... mmmm...
i am an equal opportunity drinker, though - i love wine, beer, and liqour - just not the sweet stuff...

In Mo I Trust
09-22-06, 10:37 AM
Whiskey and coke.

lazee
09-22-06, 11:08 AM
Sloe Jin Fizz

And for some reason, I'm hooked on vitamin water (orange flavor) from Glaceau lately. Never thought I would like it, but I do...go figure! :dunno:

sanfranciscojetergirl
09-22-06, 11:12 AM
Jack and Diet Coke.

Smithers
09-22-06, 12:22 PM
Knob Creek on the rocks.

gdn
09-22-06, 12:38 PM
Jack and Coke
Long Island Iced Teas
White Russians
Shots of just about anything.

fredgmuggs
09-22-06, 12:40 PM
Glenmorangie straight with one ice cube.

I've been on a Patron tequila kick lately, though.

fredgmuggs
09-22-06, 12:46 PM
White or red wine - very dry.

Scotch - Glenlivit

I drink a beer maybe once or twice a year - Budweiser.

I also love pina coladas in the summer.

Barb, I too enjoy a Glenlivet. Nice to be in the company of a fellow scotch drinker.

Yankchic22
09-22-06, 02:04 PM
Cherry Bomb for me

BostonYankeeBoy
09-22-06, 02:08 PM
captain and coke, oh wait im only 19, i mean coca cola

PettittesPrincess
09-22-06, 02:09 PM
Patron or goldschlager, long islands or redbull vodka with cranberry.

Paiglee
09-22-06, 02:15 PM
Grey Goose Vodka, it really is better, I prefer on rocks with lemon twist

Good French Champagne, Moet et Chandon Brut Imperial, Vintage, is as good as Dom, but a third of price (best if someone else is paying!)

WARNING Do not mix champagne with anything, otherwise your head will pay the price the next day

In my pre-motherhood life, I loved a Southern Comfort Manhattan, very dry with twist...careful, however, I think that's how I got into the whole motherhood thing;)

obsessedyankeefan
09-22-06, 03:22 PM
Miami Vice. It's half strawberry daquiri and half pina colada.

Also like strawberry daquiri by itself.

4bronxbombers
09-22-06, 03:24 PM
I'm sure I'll get my ass busted but here goes:

jello shots
Grey Goose/soda - xtra lemon
Cosmo/xtra lime - almost any type of Martini esp chocolate ones with a hershey kiss at the bottom
Newcastle brown ale
vino
apres skiing- hot cider with rum :drool:

gdn
09-22-06, 04:15 PM
I'm sure I'll get my ass busted but here goes:

jello shots
Grey Goose/soda - xtra lemon
Cosmo/xtra lime - almost any type of Martini esp chocolate ones with a hershey kiss at the bottom
Newcastle brown ale
vino
apres skiing- hot cider with rum :drool:You forgot to tell them about those body shots we did, darling :gulp:

4bronxbombers
09-22-06, 04:22 PM
You forgot to tell them about those body shots we did, darling :gulp:

I thought we were keeping that a secret. :eek:

gdn
09-22-06, 04:23 PM
I thought we were keeping that a secret. :eek:No, that was the other thing, remember ;)

cubhater
09-22-06, 05:10 PM
I like making my own homemade champagne. All it takes is a shot of vodka and ginger ale.:D

Seriously, I have been known to make coffee liqueur which almost tastes as good as Kahlua at a fraction of the cost.

1 qt water
2 1/2 c Sugar
3 tb Instant coffee
1 tb Vanilla
2 1/2 c Vodka

Bring water, sugar and coffee to a boil in a saucepan.
Simmer VERY slowly for 3 hours. Mixture will be very dark
and syrupy. Cool. Add vanilla and vodka. Makes 7 cups.

gdn
09-22-06, 07:56 PM
Uhhh...3 hours!?!

Toaderly
09-22-06, 08:03 PM
Uhhh...3 hours!?!

By then, I'd be done with a twelve pack of beer.

Big_E
09-22-06, 08:05 PM
Are you using lime juice or are you just dropping a lime slice into the Diet Coke? We can't answer your question without this vital information. :D

:lol: I cut my own limes and add them myself. ;)

4bronxbombers
09-22-06, 08:06 PM
Uhhh...3 hours!?!

Yes and drink 4 other drinks while waiting the 3 hours. I'm kidding - it sounds awesome. :)

gdn
09-22-06, 08:08 PM
Yes and drink 4 other drinks while waiting the 3 hours. I'm kidding - it sounds awesome. :)I'll be freakin' wasted by then.

Dave Visbeck
09-23-06, 03:10 AM

I like sissy drinks. I like a Bacardi Strawberry Daiquiri with lots of whipped cream. Blended Whiskey Sours are good. Hot Toddy's are good.

Barb51850
09-23-06, 06:08 AM
Anyone ever have a mint julep? (or is it julip?). I was curious about them, and I found a recipe on line. It involved making a minty-sweet syrup by boiling sugar and mint leaves in water for about 2 hours. Then you strain the mixture through a cheese cloth to remove the mint leaves, and chill in the refrigerator for a least 2 hours. After it's chilled, put some in a glass with ice cubes and bourbon. Delicious!!

fredgmuggs
09-23-06, 08:06 AM
Mrs. muggs likes soaking green apples in tequila and then freezing them.... they're quite tasty in floating in a Patron I must say.

cubhater
09-23-06, 08:38 AM
Anyone ever have a mint julep? (or is it julip?). I was curious about them, and I found a recipe on line. It involved making a minty-sweet syrup by boiling sugar and mint leaves in water for about 2 hours. Then you strain the mixture through a cheese cloth to remove the mint leaves, and chill in the refrigerator for a least 2 hours. After it's chilled, put some in a glass with ice cubes and bourbon. Delicious!!

It's the most popular drink at the Kentucky Derby.

montrealer
09-23-06, 12:55 PM
Glenmorangie Single Malt ....neat. Some bars don`t carry it so I can switch to other Single Malts as long as there not to much on the peaty side.

montrealer
09-23-06, 12:58 PM
Also like the wines.....red,rose and white...no sparkling wines.

YankeeGalSC
09-23-06, 03:52 PM
A good top shelf margarita (the kind with Grand Marnier added) on the rocks with a little OJ added and salt on the rim in a tall glass. Chili's has a good one called the "El Nino". Mmmmmm! :)

PalmerGA
09-23-06, 04:02 PM
I keep my liquor indulgences pretty simple:

Summer time - Gin & Tonic, no fruit, a couple of drops of Orange Bitters

Winter time - 90 proof Evan Williams Bourbon, diet cola, and just enough orange juice to make it really ugly

Anytime sipper - Bailey's on the rocks

Bosox Guy in Chitown
09-23-06, 04:26 PM
Anytime sipper - Bailey's on the rocks

I'm as Irish as it gets, but I just don't like Baileys (unless it's in my coffee on a fishing trip).

Barb51850
09-23-06, 04:38 PM
I drank this at a St. Patrick's Day party this year:

http://www.bottlewatch.com/2006/01/michael-collins-irish-whiskey.htm

It was so smooth!!

NYYFan74
09-23-06, 05:10 PM
Any type of Vodka martini
Jack and Coke
Amaretto Sour
Blue Margaritas

And for dessert drinks....Baileys on the Rocks and Grasshoppers

PalmerGA
09-23-06, 07:57 PM
I'm as Irish as it gets, but I just don't like Baileys (unless it's in my coffee on a fishing trip).I actually used "Bailey's" as a generic name for Irish Cream in general. I rarely buy Bailey'$ brand and actually like some of the cheaper brands better for sippin'.

Bosox Guy in Chitown
09-23-06, 08:21 PM
I actually used "Bailey's" as a generic name for Irish Cream in general. I rarely buy Bailey'$ brand and actually like some of the cheaper brands better for sippin'.

Me too. I use Carol Anns in my coffee.

PeteRFNY
09-23-06, 11:40 PM
A little love for the Red Devil, please! Monica makes the BEST ones!

Jersey Yankee
09-24-06, 02:56 PM
Vodka and ginger ale I like. I also like Hennessy & ginger ale. Neither seem to work with club soda for me, so I avoid the club soda.

Jersey Yankee
09-24-06, 02:57 PM
A little love for the Red Devil, please! Monica makes the BEST ones!
Isn't that an $8 drink (depending upon the bar) that's as strong as a Long Island Iced Tea? That's some strong stuff.

geoffman
09-24-06, 08:23 PM
Just Guinness for me

or maybe Absolut and redbull

cb2u
09-24-06, 08:26 PM
Margaritas! But I can't drink them lately, they give me wicked migraines. :(

So I'm stuck drinking beer....Coors Light & Red Stripe are my faves.

PeteRFNY
09-24-06, 11:50 PM
Isn't that an $8 drink (depending upon the bar) that's as strong as a Long Island Iced Tea? That's some strong stuff.

Hell yes - and extremely dangerous. Aside from a couple of splashes of citrus it's ALL ALKY-HOL, yet it tastes like Hawiian Punch. Lethal.

We tend to make / serve / have 'em at parties as shots rather than full drinks. Makes 'em last.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-25-06, 02:17 AM
My favorite is the White Russian.

(I drank them when I was in Greece, it was legal! Dont worry ;))

NYDCYankee
09-25-06, 02:58 AM
I'm as Irish as it gets, but I just don't like Baileys (unless it's in my coffee on a fishing trip).

Same here.

As for my favorite drink, Peach Snapple.