PDA

View Full Version : Absence of Kay

Winfield31
09-06-06, 08:51 PM
I dont know if I missed other conversation on here regarding the topic, but can anyone tell me why Michael Kay has not been doing that many games this year?

The Yankee Captain
09-06-06, 08:53 PM
:confused:

Winfield31
09-06-06, 08:54 PM
:confused:

Am I just making this up then? I really dont notice him doing many games at all.

Boogiedown Bomber
09-06-06, 08:56 PM
Am I just making this up then? I really dont notice him doing many games at all.

To be honest, does anyone miss him??? I know I don't.

Winfield31
09-06-06, 08:59 PM

Well thats a totally different question. :)

MunsonNY15
09-06-06, 09:03 PM
I dont know if I missed other conversation on here regarding the topic, but can anyone tell me why Michael Kay has not been doing that many games this year?

I heard his mother has been very ill. Not sure with what though.

Heidi

Winfield31
09-06-06, 09:06 PM

Heidi

Well if thats the case, that is very unfortunate. Thanks for the info though.

MunsonNY15
09-06-06, 09:11 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I do. Believe me, there are much worse announcers out there. Kay isn't bad, IMO. Not everyone is Vin Scully :)

Heidi

Winfield31
09-06-06, 09:15 PM
Ithere are much worse announcers out there.
Heidi

Ken Harrelson immediately comes to mind.

Rastven
09-06-06, 09:21 PM
The worst is not only do we not get him for Yanks games but they replace him with Max "the moron" Kellerman on ESPN Radio. That dude knows nothing about any sport.

MunsonNY15
09-06-06, 09:24 PM

UGH, tell me about it. Being in Chicago I am MORE than familiar with "Hawk". What a moron. Listen to him for a few innings, scratch that - a few BATTERS, and you'll be begging to bring back Kay.

Heidi

Panamaniac42
09-06-06, 09:29 PM
The worst is not only do we not get him for Yanks games but they replace him with Max "the moron" Kellerman on ESPN Radio. That dude knows nothing about any sport.

He knows plenty about boxing, though it's not a major sport.

At least he's a Yankee fan and raves about them constantly, which you don't hear much of on "The flagship station of the New York Mets".

knickfan23
09-06-06, 09:32 PM
Kay has his schedule predetermined before the season starts. However, since the Red Sox series, Kay and YES feel that he can take some time off because these are not "big games" anymore like last season.

Wouldnt suprise me if Kay missed the Baltimore and Tampa series and comes back for the Boston series next week. You know M-Kay cant miss the "big ones".

Winfield31
09-06-06, 09:34 PM
UGH, tell me about it. Being in Chicago I am MORE than familiar with "Hawk". What a moron. Listen to him for a few innings, scratch that - a few BATTERS, and you'll be begging to bring back Kay.

Heidi

Well I remember him from his days with the Yankees, but I am frequently reminded of his awful game calling when I listen to their games on XM radio...its nice that they have all the games because you do get to hear different persoanlities, which is USUALLY good...but not in Ken's case.

On the positive side though, I get to hear Bob Uecker that way, and he is awesome to listen to. Some of his calls are so funny that they end up using them on some of the baseball talk shows on XM for the pure comedic value. :) My favorites are the ones where the visiting team hits a home run and he sounds like someone just killed his dog, or he basically ignores it with a quick mention and then goes right back to the story he was telling. :)

BBombers85
09-06-06, 09:35 PM

Heidi

Wasn't that David Justices situation?

BBombers85
09-06-06, 09:35 PM
Kay has his schedule predetermined before the season starts. However, since the Red Sox series, Kay and YES feel that he can take some time off because these are not "big games" anymore like last season.

Wouldnt suprise me if Kay missed the Baltimore and Tampa series and comes back for the Boston series next week. You know M-Kay cant miss the "big ones".

I cannot stand him. I actually am enjoying this Leiter-Singleton combo.

YankeeClemens22
09-06-06, 09:47 PM
That dude knows nothing about any sport.

"That dude" is one of the top boxing analysts that exists. And he's a die-hard yankee fan. I'm not sure what's too complain about.

ZYanksRule
09-06-06, 09:53 PM
Kay, since joining YES, has only done 100 games. That's what's in his contract.

knickfan23
09-06-06, 09:55 PM
Kay, since joining YES, has only done 100 games. That's what's in his contract.

Seth, I believe he signed on to more this season since he started a new contract.

JDPNYY
09-06-06, 09:57 PM
Ach, Eye, Jay, Ell, Em, En, Oh & Pea are doing well in his absense.

Panamaniac42
09-06-06, 10:08 PM
Maybe all of our complaints about Kay comparing baseball etiquette to "throwing people in ovens" and "keeping black people as slaves" got through to someone at YES.

BBombers85
09-06-06, 10:09 PM
Ach, Eye, Jay, Ell, Em, En, Oh & Pea are doing well in his absense.

You're posts always make my day. You have the best sense of humor, and I always get a good laugh out of your sarcasm :P

HidekiIrabu
09-06-06, 10:14 PM
I remeber hearing something about him doing 130 games a year.

knickfan23
09-06-06, 10:16 PM
Maybe all of our complaints about Kay comparing baseball etiquette to "throwing people in ovens" and "keeping black people as slaves" got through to someone at YES.

If the Yanks and Red Sox were in an acutal "race", Kay would be behind the mic tonight. But there isnt, so Michael is saving his bullets. Besides, in 02 and 03, Kay and YES did a similar thing. He's probably the only broadcaster in baseball that can pull that off.

Orsillo does all the NESN games.
Cohen does all the SNY games.
Kuiper does all the FSN Bay Area games.
Harrelson does all the White Sox games.
Physioc does all the Angels games.
Brennaman does all the DBacks games except during Fridays when he has to do a FOX game.

No one else seems to have the schedule that he has. Good for him.

TheBamTino24
09-06-06, 10:21 PM

Sounds about right. I'm not sure about his personal/family life, but hopefully everything is fine there.

Max Kellerman is filling in on his ESPN Radio show this week, so perhaps like many, he's on vacation.

Sam18
09-06-06, 10:34 PM
Because they heard our cries for help.

Yankeeah
09-06-06, 11:45 PM
Over summer, I worked on the same floor as him. His mom was very ill, and there was word that she did pass, but I can not confirm the second part.

thecaptain
09-06-06, 11:54 PM
They away games it seems ....

dpinzow
09-07-06, 12:08 AM
Believe me, there are much worse announcers out there.

Heidi

Rex Hudler also says hi...

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
09-07-06, 12:15 AM
If the Yanks and Red Sox were in an acutal "race", Kay would be behind the mic tonight. But there isnt, so Michael is saving his bullets. Besides, in 02 and 03, Kay and YES did a similar thing. He's probably the only broadcaster in baseball that can pull that off.

Orsillo does all the NESN games.
Cohen does all the SNY games.
Kuiper does all the FSN Bay Area games.
Harrelson does all the White Sox games.
Physioc does all the Angels games.
Brennaman does all the DBacks games except during Fridays when he has to do a FOX game.

No one else seems to have the schedule that he has. Good for him.
Vin Scully only does games in the pacific and time zone nowadays it seems... Charley Steiner and Steve Lyons do the rest. :(

johnnyyankee
09-07-06, 12:55 AM
Because they heard our cries for help.

Kay is by far the most annoying announcer I have ever listened to. While somewhat knowledgeable, he is so contrived it is laughable. "Track, wall, blah, blah, blah. He is trying so hard to be included in the exclusive group of announcers that can be quoted and have signature calls. He talks down to his listeners as though they are brainless and have zero accumen for the game. Constantly forgets (yea right) that he is the play by play guy and Leiter, Singleton, O'neill or whomever are the color guys that give insight to the game. In my 44 yrs. no commentator, either radio or tv, has grated on me as much as Kay does. As much as I'd never wish ill will on anyone, in particular when it comes to their livlihood, I can only hope YES network has reconsidered the man they have representing their network.

Pinstripedbass
09-07-06, 06:12 AM

And this is a bad thing?

Pinstripedbass
09-07-06, 06:14 AM
Kay is by far the most annoying announcer I have ever listened to. While somewhat knowledgeable, he is so contrived it is laughable. "Track, wall, blah, blah, blah. He is trying so hard to be included in the exclusive group of announcers that can be quoted and have signature calls. He talks down to his listeners as though they are brainless and have zero accumen for the game. Constantly forgets (yea right) that he is the play by play guy and Leiter, Singleton, O'neill or whomever are the color guys that give insight to the game. In my 44 yrs. no commentator, either radio or tv, has grated on me as much as Kay does. As much as I'd never wish ill will on anyone, in particular when it comes to their livlihood, I can only hope YES network has reconsidered the man they have representing their network.

My thoughts exactly:clap:

Boogiedown Bomber
09-07-06, 07:17 AM
Not everyone is Vin Scully :)

Heidi

He is one of the three reasons why I get MLB Extra Innings every year.

Rastven
09-07-06, 08:06 AM
"That dude" is one of the top boxing analysts that exists. And he's a die-hard yankee fan. I'm not sure what's too complain about.

Because he's completely nonsensical. I don't want just a rabid Yankees fan on the mic, I want someone reasoned and intelligent about both the Yankees and other sports. I think it speaks volumes that BT is replacing him in the 7pm slot and he's basically being left as a filler guy from now on.

destro
09-07-06, 08:18 AM
i have also heard about kay's mother's illness as a reason

Dr. Gonzo
09-07-06, 09:31 AM
greates thing since sliced bread, i really enjoy him being gone.

I am guesing it is his mother, that is why he was abscent for a while last time

BRNXBMRS
09-07-06, 09:52 AM

I hated when he did the games :barf:

MFern09
09-07-06, 10:00 AM
i think its genious...get Kay away from the mic...i can enjoy the game now...

jon abbey
09-07-06, 11:06 AM
too bad, I was hoping his freakout on the radio led to him being fired. him and John Sterling both need to go, all ego and bluster, no content.

mitch300
09-07-06, 11:36 AM
Boy am I in the minority. I like Kay. Considering whats out their he does a fine job. Try listening to the the Giants or A's announcers and you will be begging for Kay. I think it's more than the Yanks having such a big lead. Like others have said he is also absent from his radio show.

Hitman23
09-07-06, 11:40 AM
I miss Kay on the MK Show on ESPN Radio. But not for the games. His shtick as an announcer just doesn't work.

DownFromNJ
09-07-06, 11:48 AM
Kay was never a good baseball guy. He's a professional voice - evidenced by his early career doing many different sports. He's also a professional journalist.

Kay does his best with Leiter and Flaherty in the booth with him. There he is a remarkable interviewer in addition to being a play by play guy. He gets those guys to talk about interesting and important things.

But when it's Kay being the primary commentator, he is horrible. He doesn't really know that much.

My favorite thing about Kay is actually the Centerstage show. I think that he does one of the best interviews on TV.

TheBamTino24
09-07-06, 11:49 AM
I miss Kay on the MK Show on ESPN Radio. But not for the games. His shtick as an announcer just doesn't work.

I like Kay on that radio show as well. He's not my favorite announcer on YES, but we could do much worse. He's been with the Yankees for so long that I associate him at this point with the team.

mrmike98
09-07-06, 11:51 AM
I do miss his alarming comments.

TheBamTino24
09-07-06, 11:56 AM
He's piped down on the "managable" stuff regarding 3 hours for a game and tuned down "manifestation" a lot.

Man does he get picked on...LMAO.

donnybball23
09-07-06, 12:42 PM
I used to hate when he was on the radio and he would describe the uniforms. '.... a navy cap with a white interlocking NY.'

powerpinstripes
09-07-06, 12:57 PM
I used to hate when he was on the radio and he would describe the uniforms. '.... a navy cap with a white interlocking NY.'

It was a white interlocking NY, no names--long pause, long pause, long pause, long pause, of course.

Bern Baby Be
09-07-06, 02:00 PM
He's on vacation this week. He announced it on his radio show last week.

As far as the "unmanagable" games, he mentioned recently that he stopped saying it because he got too many complaints from fans who accused him of not liking his job. They said he should be grateful to have such a job and shouldn't say the games are "unmanagable."

35Knucklecurve
09-07-06, 02:09 PM
Well I remember him from his days with the Yankees, but I am frequently reminded of his awful game calling when I listen to their games on XM radio...its nice that they have all the games because you do get to hear different persoanlities, which is USUALLY good...but not in Ken's case.

On the positive side though, I get to hear Bob Uecker that way, and he is awesome to listen to. Some of his calls are so funny that they end up using them on some of the baseball talk shows on XM for the pure comedic value. :) My favorites are the ones where the visiting team hits a home run and he sounds like someone just killed his dog, or he basically ignores it with a quick mention and then goes right back to the story he was telling. :)
You are so lucky. I think Uecker is hysterical. When he played for the Phillies, it was obvious he had a gift for making people laugh. We'd get there early just to watch him during batting practice. When you can make your teammates roll on the ground, convulsing in giggling fits, you know you're special.

Since I don't have access to YES, I've only heard replays of some of Kay's work. I wasn't impressed. I've read his columns and I'm even less impressed. Juuuust a bit outside. ;)

Hitman23
09-07-06, 02:14 PM
As far as the "unmanagable" games, he mentioned recently that he stopped saying it because he got too many complaints from fans who accused him of not liking his job. They said he should be grateful to have such a job and shouldn't say the games are "unmanagable."damn frikking right. I actually wrote him an e-mail last year. it annoyed the hell out of me.

Panamaniac42
09-07-06, 04:25 PM
Because he's completely nonsensical. I don't want just a rabid Yankees fan on the mic, I want someone reasoned and intelligent about both the Yankees and other sports. I think it speaks volumes that BT is replacing him in the 7pm slot and he's basically being left as a filler guy from now on.

I know what you're saying, but I think that's more because Tierney sleeps at the radio station and has his nose in SAS's butt. Being that Kellerman has already made it in the sports talk world, I disagree that it "speaks volumes" about his ability...but I don't think he has the same passion for work after the murder of his brother. You're entitled to dislike him, though. ;)

Michaels07
09-07-06, 04:41 PM

I like him better than the Met Announcers, can`t stand those creeps.

Panamaniac42
09-07-06, 08:07 PM
I like him better than the Met Announcers, can`t stand those creeps.

http://www.sny.tv/images/announcers/mug_cohen_gary.jpg :barf:

Use Ethyl Chloride
09-07-06, 08:53 PM
I miss the Scooter and Bill White.

donniesrecordholdsup
09-07-06, 08:55 PM

is he simmiliar to his "major league" persona ?? i mean obviously i know hes funny and everything. but how much of that charecter was based on him ?

Winfield31
09-07-06, 10:46 PM
is he simmiliar to his "major league" persona ?? i mean obviously i know hes funny and everything. but how much of that charecter was based on him ?

Yeah, he is kind of similar, not quite as drastic, but the same basic personality. I mean it could be a tie game in the bottom of the 9th, and if the visiting team is at bat with a 3-2 count, 2 outs and the bases loaded there he is telling a story about his dog and you just have a feeling that he knows its going to end bad...next thing you know, he interrupts the story with a quick and quiet "welp, he really got a hold of that one" then he finishes his other story followed with a "we will see you tomorrow night"

Like I said before, they also tend to use a lot of his calls during the baseball talk shows for a laugh.

Highly entertaining, Id say for what I pay for a full year of XM, just listening to him a few times during baseball season makes it totally worth it. :)

jimmyclark
09-08-06, 07:15 AM
One thing I have been wondering about is the revolving aannouncers. 30 years ago it was Rizzuto, White and Messer on TV AND radio. The same across town with Nelson, Kiner and Murphy. Is it because nowadays TV announcers are mostly former players who made millions and don't need the money? So they agree to do about 50 games, earn decent spending money and not have to put up with 6 months of coast-to-coast travel working nearly every day? Or do teams often promise a player to hire them as announcers when their career is over as part of the contracts and you can't fit 6 guys in a booth at once?

noneckwilliams
09-08-06, 07:28 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I do. Believe me, there are much worse announcers out there. Kay isn't bad, IMO. Not everyone is Vin Scully :)

Heidi

Anyone who has MLB EI can tell you that Kay is far from the worst guy out there. I think he gets a bad rap. He just has a personality/demeanor that many people dont like but i don't find his commentary particular homerish or stupid.

Seems like the YES broadcast is rarely used on EI this year. All 3 games in KC were the Royals broadcast team. Talk about dull plus you have to hear the same old re-hash of all the Yankees "problems" whenever you watch the other team's announcers.

I watched a game vs TB earlier this year and the announcer said something like - "it's very rare to see the Yankees playing guys from their own farm system." At the time the only guy on the field (including the pitcher) not from the NYY farm system was ARod. So much for the facts.

BHawe
09-08-06, 07:33 AM

I definately enjoy those two, but they aren't fluent by any means. It seems that at least once an inning they are stumbling over each other's words.

I still think they should have two real fans commentating on games; there wouldn't be as much useful "ex-player" knowledge but it would sure as hell be a lot more entertaining.

MunsonNY15
09-08-06, 05:14 PM
Seems like the YES broadcast is rarely used on EI this year. All 3 games in KC were the Royals broadcast team.

I haven't noticed I decline in YES games. EI usually uses the home team's feed, provided they give their games to EI. That's why all three Royals games were on EI.

Talk about dull plus you have to hear the same old re-hash of all the Yankees "problems" whenever you watch the other team's announcers.

Which is the reason, when EI gives the other team's feed, that I turn down the TV audio listen to Suzyn and John on MLB.com. With TiVo I can sync the audio and video - no delay.

Heidi

The Q Bomb
09-09-06, 07:57 AM
The worst is not only do we not get him for Yanks games but they replace him with Max "the moron" Kellerman on ESPN Radio. That dude knows nothing about any sport. Yeah, but he's a Yankee fan!

The Q Bomb
09-09-06, 08:09 AM

I find Kay is decent as a play by play guy. When he is on YES, he manages to keep his tremendous ego in check (helped by Paul O'Neill who I think does not care for him, and his awe and respect for Jim Kaat) unlike on his radio show. The YES color commentators are so very good and knowlegeable but they are enhanced by Kay's sort of "fan's eye view"; by that I mean he often voices questions to those former players that a fan might be thinking that they would not otherwise address.

What I dislike about him is the constant repetition of stories (often rumors) of tidbits he thinks he alone knows, i.e., how pitchers don't like Pudge Rodriguez because he does not attend their meetings. When he first brought that up it was good, juicy, baseball gossip; now after 5 years of hearing it every time we face Rodriguez - it's stale. He does this frequently. I also find he tries too hard to demonstrate that he is "not a Yankee fan" and has no particular affinity for the team he's covered for what - 15 years? Yes, he should be objective, but you can be objective without feigning dislike for the team you are covering (in an effort to tout your objectivity). I listen to his talk show in the afternoons as I boycotted Mike & The Mad Dog after the Yankee debacle in 2004, and have grown to thoroughly dislike Kay.

I do wish good health for his mom.

fredgmuggs
09-09-06, 08:55 AM
After enduring the likes of Fran Healy, Dom Valentino and Bob Gamere as Yankees broadcasters over the years (and countless others that I have thankfully forgotten about).... Michael Kay isn't all that bad in comparison. Trust me, the Yankees have had a lot worse than Kay doing their games.

knickfan23
09-09-06, 09:25 AM
I haven't noticed I decline in YES games.

Heidi

That's because their hasnt been. This has become a manufactured thought by people on this board who apparently havent been watching the home games this season which 99% of them have been on YES. Before the year started, there were supposed to be 93 YES games on MLBEI according to a schedule I made. They are right on pace for that.

ericns1
09-09-06, 09:40 AM
I remember Bob Gamere - lasted one season - did sports in Boston when I went thre and remember one game where he came down hard on the Yanks

Jeter021992
09-09-06, 03:05 PM
I too had noticed that he hasn't been there in a while. As for him being a bad announcer he is better than some. I would take Kay anyday if I never had to hear Joe Buck again!

AlbanyColonieYankee
09-09-06, 07:43 PM

I like Singleton but Leiter's need to turn anything and everything into an analogy to his own career gets tiresome.

Also, when Leiter and Kay do the games together, there seems to be some tension there, like they get on each other's nerves. Maybe it's just me. You have to figure that not all of these guys who are thrown together to do the broadcasts are going to get along famously, though.

MunsonNY15
09-09-06, 08:12 PM
Also, when Leiter and Kay do the games together, there seems to be some tension there, like they get on each other's nerves.

That's interesting. I haven't noticed any tension. In fact, I've always heard that Kay and Leiter have been very, very good friends for years - going back to Al's time with the Mets.

Just another example of how two people can listen to the same broadcast and hear two completely different things....

Heidi

MunsonNY15
09-09-06, 08:15 PM
That's because their hasnt been. This has become a manufactured thought by people on this board who apparently havent been watching the home games this season which 99% of them have been on YES. Before the year started, there were supposed to be 93 YES games on MLBEI according to a schedule I made. They are right on pace for that.

I agree, Knick. In fact, I remember a few times last year when the Yanks were at home and the game was on YES but for whatever reason EI used the visting team's feed. That hasn't happened at all this year that I recall.

Heidi

PS - Is that Sean Hannity in your avatar? :)

AlbanyColonieYankee
09-09-06, 08:18 PM
That's interesting. I haven't noticed any tension. In fact, I've always heard that Kay and Leiter have been very, very good friends for years - going back to Al's time with the Mets.

Just another example of how two people can listen to the same broadcast and hear two completely different things....

Heidi

Really? I could be totally wrong. I just remember noticing them disagreeing on a lot of things...but it could just as easily be good natured, I suppose.

MunsonNY15
09-09-06, 08:29 PM
Really? I could be totally wrong. I just remember noticing them disagreeing on a lot of things...but it could just as easily be good natured, I suppose.

Here's a couple of links that talk about their friendship:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/COLUMNIST02/604070368/1035/SPORTS0101

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/406703p-344354c.html

And a blurb from a 2005 Q&A with Kay at yesnetwork.com: "Al is one of my best friends in the world, but I believe if the Yankees were so intent on getting Jaret Wright into the rotation then it should not have been at the expense of Small. Leiter was the next choice, but Torre likes his pedigree and the fact that he battles."

Heidi

PonytailAtHome
09-09-06, 09:04 PM
Michael Kay is one of my favorites. I miss him when he's not there. :)

Best wishes to his mom.

MunsonNY15
09-11-06, 06:43 PM
Ken Singleton announced on tonight's game that Kay's mother, Rose passed away today.

My sympathies to Michael and his family.
Heidi

jessiedog
09-11-06, 06:44 PM
Ken Singleton just mentioned on YES Michael Kay's mother passed away today.
My condolonces to him and his family.

JDPNYY
09-11-06, 06:44 PM
Sad to hear. Peace be with Michael during this sad time. Rest in Peace Rose.

Mean Linguine
09-11-06, 06:45 PM
R.I.P., Mrs. Kay.

TheBamTino24
09-11-06, 06:47 PM
Ken Singleton just mentioned on YES Michael Kay's mother passed away today.
My condolonces to him and his family.

I heard that as well and I echo your sentiments for the Kay family. God Bless.

yankeesfaninaz
09-11-06, 07:09 PM
What a shocking. RIP Mrs. Kay.

-tz
09-11-06, 07:32 PM
My condolences. It's always tough to lose a parent.

njyankeesfan
09-11-06, 08:02 PM
John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman just passed along the sad news on the radio broadcast. Condolences to Michael Kay and his family....

Liquid Sky
09-11-06, 11:07 PM
How very sad to learn that Michael's mother suffered from Alzheimer's disease. :(

Rose Kay, 81, the mother of the YES announcer Michael Kay, died Monday of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. Michael Kay has not traveled with the Yankees for the last three weeks to spend more time with her.http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/12/sports/b...html?ref=sports (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/12/sports/baseball/12yankees.html?ref=sports)

PonytailAtHome
09-12-06, 05:27 AM
My condolences to Michael Kay and his family.

R.I.P. Rose :(

BHawe
09-12-06, 08:06 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Kay family

YankeePride1967
09-12-06, 08:21 AM
Wow, that's tough. 9/11 is going to really be a bad day for Michael.

gold23
09-12-06, 08:46 AM
Kudos to the Yankees and YES for allowing Kay to take care of what is important.

Condolences to Michael and his family.

Shinebox
09-12-06, 09:03 AM
That is great that he got to spend the last 3 weeks with her, I am sure that meant more to Kay than anything. Alzheimers is a horrible disease.
I'll be honest, I have missed Kay's broadcasts the last few weeks. Didn't think that I would, but he is definitely a big part of the broadcast team.

35Knucklecurve
09-12-06, 09:39 AM
Wow, that's tough. 9/11 is going to really be a bad day for Michael.
Indeed it will. At least he was able to be with her during the past weeks.

She's at peace now.

wexy
09-12-06, 09:43 AM
Condolences.

Krall
09-12-06, 11:18 AM

lol he does that on TV from time to time still :-shrug-:

R.I.P. Mrs Kay :(

TinoFan84
09-12-06, 11:20 AM
Kudos to the Yankees and YES for allowing Kay to take care of what is important.

Condolences to Michael and his family.

My thoughts exactly ...

Moose13
09-15-06, 12:22 PM
Not that I miss him dearly or anything but I noticed last night that I haven't heard his voice in a while. I doubt it but was Kay Canned?:eek:

yankeebot
09-15-06, 12:25 PM
He took time off to be with his sick mother. She subsequently passed away on 9/11. I would imagine he will be back soon. Matter of fact, I would not be surprised to see him back tonight given that it is Kaat's last game.

Moose13
09-15-06, 12:28 PM
Thanks, I didn't know. Maybe it was wishfull thinking on the Yanks saying "See ya!"

BillBuckner
09-15-06, 12:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know his mother passed away. I'm glad though he was able to spend some time with her. My prayers go out to his family and I hope to see his annoying self back in the booth soon.

TheBamTino24
09-18-06, 03:03 PM
Michael Kay returned to his ESPN Radio 1050 AM show today. Considering what has gone on in his personal life, I'm glad he's back. He also mentioned he was broadcasting from the Rogers Centre in Toronto, so I'll be looking for him tonight on YES as well.

He mentioned his mother's passing in a very candid fashion and I thought it was done very nicely and very classy. He also mentioned he would like to start raising awareness for Alzheimer's Disease.

I've definitely gained additional respect for Kay for his opening.

-tz
09-18-06, 05:43 PM
Kay's back on YES tonight. :)

Dr. Gonzo
09-18-06, 05:45 PM
Kay's back on YES tonight. :)sorry about his mother, but :(

ZYanksRule
09-18-06, 05:55 PM
Kay is, indeed back.

My condolences to him and his family.

Danny T's Biceps
09-18-06, 06:44 PM
I missed the early part of the YES broadcast - was his mother's passing brought up?

I have liked Kay in the past - especially during the mid nineties when he and Sterling had nice chemistry and there was less of the over the top fawning over the Yankees dynastic bravura. There was some nice back and forth banter between those two back in the day.

Now they're almost like parodies of their earlier selves.

Donnie's Moustache
09-18-06, 10:55 PM
Now they're almost like parodies of their earlier selves.[/quote]

Nailed it.........

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:04 AM

HeidiKay's from the modern school that says ytou have to scream everything and make a big production, call attention to your self. That's why Kaat was such a nice partner. Kitty's old school, Red Barberish. He's low-key. I like that.

For a nice baalnce of the two, listen in on a Washington game sometime (I think you can pick up 1500 AM in New York at night.) Charley Slowes does a terrific job. I'd lvoe it if the Yankees had someone like that.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:05 AM
At lesat on TV, we can see the interlocking NY so Kay doesn't feel compelled to describe it.

And tell us "no name." With that looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg pause before "Of course."

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:07 AM
UGH, tell me about it. Being in Chicago I am MORE than familiar with "Hawk". What a moron. Listen to him for a few innings, scratch that - a few BATTERS, and you'll be begging to bring back Kay.I don't know about that. Harrelson has some good insights and he can be very funny sometimes. He was better before Paciorek left, though.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:10 AM
Maybe all of our complaints about Kay comparing baseball etiquette to "throwing people in ovens" and "keeping black people as slaves" got through to someone at YES.He's very over the top. Has the most self-important, blown-up, inane homerun call in baseball, adn that includes teh ever pompous, ever bombastic John Sterling (of the John Sterling Show Featuring Yankee Baseball.)

"See ya!" Is that the best you can come up with? If that's it, rip off some old announcer.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:12 AM
Vin Scully only does games in the pacific and time zone nowadays it seems... Except that Scully went to DC for teh Nationals series because he got his start at WTOP in Washington and the Nats are on that frequency now, so he wanted to say hi to some old friends. I don't think he'll do it again.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:27 AM
I miss the Scooter and Bill White.I miss Red Barber.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 11:40 AM
Yeah, he is kind of similar, not quite as drastic, but the same basic personality. I mean it could be a tie game in the bottom of the 9th, and if the visiting team is at bat with a 3-2 count, 2 outs and the bases loaded there he is telling a story about his dog and you just have a feeling that he knows its going to end bad...next thing you know, he interrupts the story with a quick and quiet "welp, he really got a hold of that one" then he finishes his other story followed with a "we will see you tomorrow night"

Like I said before, they also tend to use a lot of his calls during the baseball talk shows for a laugh.

Highly entertaining, Id say for what I pay for a full year of XM, just listening to him a few times during baseball season makes it totally worth it. :)I used to hav ea lot of amily in Cincinnati and one of teh great on-air storytellers was the former Yankee HOF pitcher Waite Hoyt, who was the Reds' broadcaster for many years. Somewhere out ther eis an album called "The Best of Waite Hoyt in the Rain" which I have. If you can get it and you enjoy baseball storytellers, get it.

Bern Baby Be
09-19-06, 01:46 PM
Michael Kay returned to his ESPN Radio 1050 AM show today. Considering what has gone on in his personal life, I'm glad he's back. He also mentioned he was broadcasting from the Rogers Centre in Toronto, so I'll be looking for him tonight on YES as well.

He mentioned his mother's passing in a very candid fashion and I thought it was done very nicely and very classy. He also mentioned he would like to start raising awareness for Alzheimer's Disease.

I've definitely gained additional respect for Kay for his opening.

I heard that. It was very touching. He gave his mother a nice tribute.

Panamaniac42
09-19-06, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry about his mother but I didn't miss him at all. Ken S. & Co. do a fine job.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 03:01 PM
After enduring the likes of Fran Healy, Dom Valentino and Bob Gamere as Yankees broadcasters over the years (and countless others that I have thankfully forgotten about).... Michael Kay isn't all that bad in comparison. Trust me, the Yankees have had a lot worse than Kay doing their games.Gamere was one of the worst. I once heard him call a grand slam as if he had just been awakened from his nap, as if itr were teh most routine thing he ever saw.

Quangormo
09-19-06, 04:11 PM
Ken Singleton announced on tonight's game that Kay's mother, Rose passed away today.

My sympathies to Michael and his family.
HeidiCondolences and sympathies to Michael and all his family. I know it's a tough time for them.

keithf1
09-19-06, 05:46 PM
Suprisingly, it's nice to hear his voice again.

Jesse Reyes
09-21-06, 01:00 PM
I just wish Kay would get the "interlocking" thing correctly. The Yankee logo is a monogram, it "overlaps." It does not "interlock," i.e., the type forms do not weave in and around each other.

It makes for a convenient slogan, but it's not correct. I'm glad he doesn't do that as much anymore (maybe he wised-up).