PDA

View Full Version : Roster Expansion

freebubba
08-28-06, 01:15 PM
What can we expect Sept. 1? Hughes and Clippard? Will Bubba resurface to spell JD for a game or two in center? Any bullpen help, or are the guys that could help already here? Nieves behind the plate?

When we get through Detroit and Minn., I wouldn't mind Clippard getting a start here or there.

EnglishYanqui
08-28-06, 01:17 PM
No reason to rush Hughes up.

In fact, I wouldn't think of bringing Hughes up barring serious injury prior to Sept 07.

Clippard? I don't think Yankees *need* to... although I wouldn't protect the schedule for his progression the same way.

P.S. Bubba should be on the 40 man squad, but not see a start short of a 10 game lead with seven games to play or an injury from one of the starting 3 OF'ers. That said, its DEFINITELY going to happen, given Torres penchant for being overly protective and resting (everyone except for Proctor and Villone.)

dabomb2045
08-28-06, 01:18 PM
Hopefully some more bullpen reinforcements. Any chance we see JB Cox??

Metroidman
08-28-06, 01:19 PM
Cox is gone with Team USA.

destiNY
08-28-06, 01:23 PM
We will see the same old faces- KT, Veras, Beam, etc. Maybe we'll see Nieves...But definately no Hughes, Cox, and I severly doubt Clippard.

yankees228
08-28-06, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know when Cairo is going to be ready to come off the DL? When he is, he should be part of roster expansion and ready to take back his job from Nick Green.

spiritof27
08-28-06, 01:25 PM
This stuff cracks me up. You won't see anybody you're not used to, I'm sure. \

destiNY
08-28-06, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know when Cairo is going to be ready to come off the DL? When he is, he should be part of roster expansion and ready to take back his job from Nick Green.

He has started rehabbing but it has yet to include in game play...It should be soon, Green has better talent, but I caught the "trust" bug from Torre, I just trust Miggy more.

yankees228
08-28-06, 01:30 PM
Well, even though he may not be the same player, I'd much rather have Cairo down the stetch and on the playoff simply because he is a veteran and because of what he gave the Yanks in 2004.

gdn
08-28-06, 01:33 PM
We will not see any of the mainstays of Trenton. Trenton is leading the division and will definitely go to the playoffs. We will see a bunch from Columbus. No one from Tampa and below.

gold23
08-28-06, 01:43 PM
We will not see any of the mainstays of Trenton. Trenton is leading the division and will definitely go to the playoffs. We will see a bunch from Columbus. No one from Tampa and below.

This is true- the Yanks will allow the core of the team to compete in their playoffs. I doubt anyone- other than possibly Clippard if the Yanks are in a major bind- gets the eventual call.

You will certainly see a third catcher and more relief arms. You will very likely see another OF or two. And you will see another IF, whether Cairo comes back right away or they recall one from Columbus.

gdn
08-28-06, 01:45 PM
This is true- the Yanks will allow the core of the team to compete in their playoffs. I doubt anyone- other than possibly Clippard if the Yanks are in a major bind- gets the eventual call.

You will certainly see a third catcher and more relief arms. You will very likely see another OF or two. And you will see another IF, whether Cairo comes back right away or they recall one from Columbus.I doubt Clippard gets called up. Him and Hughes will finish the year in AA. Obviously if there is an absolute dire situation and the Yankees desperately need a spot starter, he's got a shot - but I think White would be up before him.

pre73
08-28-06, 01:48 PM
He has started rehabbing but it has yet to include in game play...It should be soon, Green has better talent, but I caught the "trust" bug from Torre, I just trust Miggy more.

No he doesnt.

He probably has a stronger arm (but thats about it). I too would turst cairo over green both in the field as well as batting

gold23
08-28-06, 01:48 PM
I doubt Clippard gets called up. Him and Hughes will finish the year in AA. Obviously if there is an absolute dire situation and the Yankees desperately need a spot starter, he's got a shot - but I think White would be up before him.

Agreed. I think it is only in a situation where the Yanks have surrendered a good amount of their lead in the division and there is an injury or two to a starter. White probably gets the earlier nod...but Clippard is probably their most "ready" if they need a guy to go in there for a game in a tough spot. Highly unlikely- but backs to the wall he COULD go.

TEPLimey
08-28-06, 01:58 PM
This stuff cracks me up. You won't see anybody you're not used to, I'm sure. \

I was counting on guys like Jimmy Hoffa. Thanks for ruining it for me.

flymick24
08-28-06, 04:59 PM
What can we expect Sept. 1? Hughes and Clippard? Will Bubba resurface to spell JD for a game or two in center? Any bullpen help, or are the guys that could help already here? Nieves behind the plate?

When we get through Detroit and Minn., I wouldn't mind Clippard getting a start here or there.

you wont' see people who aren't on the 40 man roster, so obviously, that eliminates hughes and clippard.

you'll most likely see any of the following:

t.j. beam
sean henn
darrell rasner
jose veras
kevin thompson
mitch jones

they'll probably make a few roster moves to accomodate a catcher and an infielder.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
08-28-06, 05:00 PM
you wont' see people who aren't on the 40 man roster, so obviously, that eliminates hughes and clippard.

you'll most likely see any of the following:

t.j. beam
sean henn
darrell rasner
jose veras
kevin thompson
mitch jones

they'll probably make a few roster moves to accomodate a catcher and an infielder.

I think Menechino will be brought up, no question.

MunsonNY15
08-28-06, 06:21 PM
I too would turst cairo over green both in the field as well as batting

Ditto, especially hitting. Cairo at least makes contact most of the time. Green swings like he has his eyes closed.

Heidi

dmbphan1
08-28-06, 06:33 PM
why does this fanbase want to rush clippard and hughes

look whats happening to boston when they bring pitchers up early

Nome
08-28-06, 06:38 PM

The Yankees are too astute (unlike many of it's fans) to bring up Hughes and Clippard this year, and Bubba is gone forever, get over it. I'd rather have Thames or Juan Rivera back of the ex Yanks over Bubba, but frankly I'd prefer to see us move on. Those guys were failures here.

Andy

Andy

SportzStooge007
08-28-06, 06:41 PM
It'll be nothing out of the usual.

Just some bullpen help, and more backups.

Miguel Cairo should be returning soon, so he'll probably be activated when they expand rosters. He'll be an extra infielder.

Felix Escalona and Russ Johnson or both of them might come up to bolster the infield.

In the outfield you'll see Bubba Crosby definitely. He'll be able to give all three outfielders a break in September, plus you'll probably see Terrence Long in the corner outfield.

Other guys like Kevin Reese and Kevin Thompson have the possibility of coming up and seeing playing time.

And then the third catcher in Will Nieves. Will probably start the last few weeks a lot in place of Posada and Fasano.

But anyway, you can bet your bottom dollar on tons of bullpen help, Bubba Crosby, Terrence Long, Miguel Cairo, Felix Escalona and Will Nieves.

Mattpat11
08-28-06, 06:58 PM
What can we expect Sept. 1? Hughes and Clippard? Will Bubba resurface to spell JD for a game or two in center? . Hopefully not.

destro
08-28-06, 07:12 PM
heh i wonder if we'll see aaron small

ryanm1058123
08-28-06, 07:13 PM
bubba can manage the bullpen

cmaff05
08-28-06, 07:14 PM
They'll call up...

CF: Bubba
3B: Bubba
SS: Bubba
SP: Bubba
RP: Bubba
Loogy: Bubba

SportzStooge007
08-28-06, 07:28 PM
heh i wonder if we'll see aaron small

Oh yeah, I forgot about him.

Yeah, he might make an appearence.

TheBamTino24
08-28-06, 07:42 PM
From the 40 man roster, I think you'll see the following called up:

Pitchers:
Jose Veras, TJ Beam, Aaron Small and Sean Henn. Obviously Jeff Karstens and Brian Bruney both stay since Mike Mussina and Carl Pavano could be activated.

Infielders:
Nick Green stays when Miguel Cairo returns, possibly Frank Menechino. I would imagine a 3rd catcher is called up like Wil Nieves or Ben Davis.

Outfielders:
Bubba Crosby and Kevin Thompson. Do we see Terrence Long II?

This would be my base 25:
SP: Mussina, Wang, Johnson, Lidle, Wright
RP: Bruney, Myers, Dotel, Villone, Proctor, Farnsworth, Rivera
IF: Posada, Fasano, Giambi, Wilson, Cano, Cairo, Jeter, Rodriguez
OF: Cabrera, Damon, Abreu, Williams, Guiel

Hideki Matsui and Carl Pavano could replace Aaron Guiel and Brian Bruney, respectively.

freebubba
08-29-06, 09:03 AM
why does this fanbase want to rush clippard and hughes

look whats happening to boston when they bring pitchers up early

I wasn't suggesting that these two get "thrown into the fire" so to speak, it was more of a cup of coffee and be around the mlb club. still, I don't think giving clippard one start would be "rushing" him at all

Kulish29
08-29-06, 09:07 AM
Frank Menechino

Quangormo
08-29-06, 10:08 AM
I don't think we'll see that much. Teh team is in a pennant race, after all. There is not a lot of playing time to be had.

Mostly, the roster will expand by the injured players coming back. I suspect that they may call up a third catcher and a couple of arms to stretch out the bullpen. Mendoza? Colome?

It might be useful to call up Menechino if Cairo is slow getting back. I'm just not that impressed with Nick Green.

One more OF could be helpful. I don't think Bubba is on the 40 any more, but maybe KT. Mitch Jones wouldn't shock me either. But with Sheff and Matsui due back, I'm not sure they wil feel the need for another OF.

gdn
08-29-06, 10:19 AM

Pitchers:
Jose Veras, TJ Beam, Aaron Small and Sean Henn. Obviously Jeff Karstens and Brian Bruney both stay since Mike Mussina and Carl Pavano could be activated.

Infielders:
Nick Green stays when Miguel Cairo returns, possibly Frank Menechino. I would imagine a 3rd catcher is called up like Wil Nieves or Ben Davis.

Outfielders:

Hideki Matsui and Carl Pavano could replace Aaron Guiel and Brian Bruney, respectively.Yep, we forget that the 40-man is full. It's a question of who from the 40-man is going to be called...

Quangormo
08-29-06, 10:48 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=nyy

40-Man Roster
Pitchers B/T Ht Wt DOB
* 58 T.J. Beam R/R 6-7 215 08/28/80
33 Brian Bruney R/R 6-2 245 02/17/82
* 74 Matt DeSalvo R/R 6-0 170 09/11/80
29 Octavio Dotel R/R 6-0 210 11/25/73
48 Kyle Farnsworth R/R 6-4 240 04/14/76
* -- Sean Henn R/L 6-5 200 04/23/81
* 80 Philip Hughes R/R 6-5 220 06/24/86
41 Randy Johnson R/L 6-10 230 09/10/63
58 Jeff Karstens R/R 6-3 175 09/24/82
30 Cory Lidle R/R 5-11 190 03/22/72
* 35 Mike Mussina L/R 6-2 190 12/08/68 15-day Disabled List
36 Mike Myers L/L 6-3 220 06/26/69
* 45 Carl Pavano R/R 6-5 240 01/08/76 15-day Disabled List
43 Scott Proctor R/R 6-1 200 01/02/77
* 68 Darrell Rasner R/R 6-3 210 01/13/81 60-day Disabled List
42 Mariano Rivera R/R 6-2 195 11/29/69
* 56 Tanyon Sturtze R/R 6-5 230 10/12/70 60-day Disabled List
* 31 Jose Veras R/R 6-5 230 10/20/80
47 Ron Villone L/L 6-3 245 01/16/70
40 Chien-Ming Wang R/R 6-3 220 03/31/80
34 Jaret Wright R/R 6-2 230 12/29/75
Catchers B/T Ht Wt DOB
26 Sal Fasano R/R 6-2 245 08/10/71
20 Jorge Posada S/R 6-2 205 08/17/71
Infielders B/T Ht Wt DOB
* 14 Miguel Cairo R/R 6-1 210 05/04/74 15-day Disabled List
22 Robinson Cano L/R 6-0 190 10/22/82
25 Jason Giambi L/R 6-3 230 01/08/71
17 Nick Green R/R 6-0 175 09/10/78
2 Derek Jeter R/R 6-3 195 06/26/74
* 12 Andy Phillips R/R 6-0 205 04/06/77 15-day Disabled List
13 Alex Rodriguez R/R 6-3 225 07/27/75
Outfielders B/T Ht Wt DOB
53 Bobby Abreu L/R 6-0 210 03/11/74
28 Melky Cabrera S/L 5-11 170 08/11/84
18 Johnny Damon L/L 6-2 205 11/05/73
46 Aaron Guiel L/R 5-10 200 10/05/72
* -- Mitch Jones R/R 6-2 215 10/15/77
* 55 Hideki Matsui L/R 6-2 230 06/12/74 15-day Disabled List
* 27 Kevin Reese L/L 5-11 195 03/11/78
* 11 Gary Sheffield R/R 6-0 215 11/18/68 15-day Disabled List
* -- Kevin Thompson R/R 5-10 185 09/18/79
51 Bernie Williams S/R 6-2 205 09/13/68
39 Craig Wilson R/R 6-2 220 11/30/76

* Not on Active Roster

Now since a guy on the 60 day DL is not on the 40-man roster (though still under the team's control) -- and there are two of these -- and the list adds up to 41, it looks like there is one available spot on the roster. I suspect it either goes to a third catcher or to Menechino, so they can call someone up.

gdn
08-29-06, 10:49 AM

Now since a guy on the 60 day DL is not on the 40-man roster (though still under the team's control) -- and there are two of these -- and the list adds up to 41, it looks like there is one available spot on the roster. I suspect it either goes to a third catcher or to Menechino, so they can call someone up.Hughes is not on the 40-man, so there are actually 40. It's a mistake that hasn't been corrected since the beginning of the year.

Tony53
08-29-06, 10:51 AM

Now since a guy on the 60 day DL is not on the 40-man roster (though still under the team's control) -- and there are two of these -- and the list adds up to 41, it looks like there is one available spot on the roster. I suspect it either goes to a third catcher or to Menechino, so they can call someone up.

HUghes though is not on the roster. It's a mistake from spring training that was never corrected, so that makes 2 spots. Since Rasner is pitching again at Columbus, I think hell come off the 60 day and come up after another start, or 2. That leaves room for another catcher to be added and maybe an infielder if they move Reese to the 60 day since he is out with a shoulder separation.

Quangormo
08-29-06, 10:54 AM
HUghes though is not on the roster. It's a mistake from spring training that was never corrected, so that makes 2 spots. Since Rasner is pitching again at Columbus, I think hell come off the 60 day and come up after another start, or 2. That leaves room for another catcher to be added and maybe an infielder if they move Reese to the 60 day since he is out with a shoulder separation.
There you go. Move Reese, who is out for the year anyway, to the 60, activate Rasner, fill the roster with Nieves or Davis and Menechino.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-29-06, 03:30 PM
On a side note Nick Green has been awful, I don't really care that he can't hit, but he can't even play the field either. Menechino should be given a shot at this point...

destiNY
08-29-06, 04:28 PM

Pitchers:

Infielders:

Outfielders:

Hideki Matsui and Carl Pavano could replace Aaron Guiel and Brian Bruney, respectively.

I"d rather see Bruney stay and Wright go if pavano comes back and if he (Wright) has one more bad start

mbn007
08-30-06, 07:50 AM
Coming up:

Catcher - Nieves.

Infield - probably no one. A healthy Cairo and Phillips will fill in as needed.

Outfield - Thompsen.

Pitchers - Beam, Henn, Veras. Karstens stays.

Moose comes back, and Wright, Lidle, and Karstens are the #4 and #5 starters. If Pavano ever gets some guts, and stops acting like a scared chicken, he gets thrown in that mix also.

Stupid Flanders
08-30-06, 08:13 AM

You will certainly see a third catcher and more relief arms. You will very likely see another OF or two. And you will see another IF, whether Cairo comes back right away or they recall one from Columbus.
Bubba will be back. Bet your life on it.

Why wouldn't he?

destro
09-01-06, 10:29 AM
any official confirm who is up? link?

TheBamTino24
09-01-06, 10:31 AM
any official confirm who is up? link?

As of today:

Revamping the roster: With rosters expanding to 40 players on Friday, the Yankees plan to call up three players: catcher Wil Nieves and pitchers T.J. Beam and Jose Veras.

Darrell Rasner is starting Sunday, so he'll come up between now and then as well.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060831&content_id=1638466&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

pre73
09-01-06, 10:33 AM
More info about callups (right at the end of the article)

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/union_will_fight_if_yanks_try_to_void_pavano_contract_yankees_george_king.htm

Kulish29
09-01-06, 10:43 AM
I"d rather see Bruney stay and Wright go if pavano comes back and if he (Wright) has one more bad start

I'd like to see Bruney stay because it seems like he's the only guy with enough gall to protect the Yankee line-up.

That and, if he can control his stuff, he's a nice power arm out of the pen.

pre73
09-01-06, 10:50 AM
I'd like to see Bruney stay because it seems like he's the only guy with enough gall to protect the Yankee line-up.

That and, if he can control his stuff, he's a nice power arm out of the pen.

Talking abt protecting the lineup, bruney was fined 750$ for throwing behind Rivera (of angels). (dont have link... but its from nytimes).

It has to be some kind of joke... 750$ is probably more meaningful to bruney rather than say someone like randy... but what kind of a fine is that???

freebubba
09-01-06, 11:42 AM
Talking abt protecting the lineup, bruney was fined 750$ for throwing behind Rivera (of angels). (dont have link... but its from nytimes).

It has to be some kind of joke... 750$ is probably more meaningful to bruney rather than say someone like randy... but what kind of a fine is that???

it's in proportion to the $8 dollar salary he is carrying.

DontHateOnNumber2
09-01-06, 11:53 AM
As expected no Hughes or Clip, but Nieves is up and so are Veras and Beam is back too. I was surprised when I heard Rasner was called up to start Sunday as last I heard he was on the 60-day DL. Is Brian Bruney staying on the roster? What will have to happen to get Matsui and possibly Sheffield and Pavano activated once they're ready?

bardos
09-01-06, 12:04 PM
In the old days guys were called up from the farm clubs in September to get some major league experience. And it was cool watching them play. Just like in Spring Training this year when the rookies got their chance at lots of playing time due to the "World-World-Series".

But here's the thing: at the moment the Yankees lead their division by 8, so if that holds till the end of the month that means they clinch the division with a week's worth of theoretical tune-up games. Which has traditionally been the time when you play the rookies. No pressure.

But once again here's the thing: In the great pennent race in the sky the Yankees are not really in first place. Detroit is. The Yanks are 3 games out of "first place" for home field advantage. So this means that the Yanks will most likely be playing meaningful baseball down to the wire. Last year's blown home advantage may have been important in the Yankees leaving the playoffs early and one can only imagine that it has not been forgotten.

pre73
09-01-06, 12:07 PM
As expected no Hughes or Clip, but Nieves is up and so are Veras and Beam is back too. I was surprised when I heard Rasner was called up to start Sunday as last I heard he was on the 60-day DL. Is Brian Bruney staying on the roster? What will have to happen to get Matsui and possibly Sheffield and Pavano activated once they're ready?

I am not really an expert on the roster management rules... but Bruney is surely staying on the roster.. Even when matsui and sheffield are activated, they will be on the roster without having to send anyone out. More importantly, Andy and cairo and even moose will be activated without any trouble once they are healthy

ppa79
09-01-06, 12:09 PM
Bubba will be back. Bet your life on it.

Why wouldn't he?

He isn't on the 40 man. You can't bring him up unless you take someone off the 40 man. He isn't coming up.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-01-06, 12:52 PM
No Cox?

Mark19
09-01-06, 01:00 PM
I don't think they can use Beam unless they are up or down by 12+ runs. He simply cannot retire ML batters at all in any way. I might be good to see if DePaula and Mendoza have anything to offer.

The Dynasty
09-01-06, 01:01 PM
No Cox?

I'm surprised as well, but I have faith in Cash and his team. Unlike the Red Sox (and many other clubs, actually), the Yankees have a bit of luxury to really develop their pitchers so that when they do come up, they have the best chance to succeed. I have to believe they're having him develop his pitches down on the farm along with many of our other young studs.

gdn
09-01-06, 01:04 PM
No Cox?Cox is with Team USA and is not on the 40-man roster. He will rejoin Trenton to help them in the playoffs.