PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so...Yankees interested in Ponson (per St. Louis paper)

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
07-13-06, 10:31 AM
"Released largely of his inability to pitch deep into games and a refusal last month to embrace his transfer to the bullpen, Ponson has attracted significant interest from the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox and could accept a bid from either club if he clears waivers."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/B6DC893D2BA582A1862571AA00161778?OpenDocument

Discuss....

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-13-06, 10:33 AM
He's got electric stuff...

SoxIn4
07-13-06, 10:33 AM
As a Sox fan...NO THANKS! He's flamed out in 2 cities, and is a certified nucklehead. Why would he be successful in Boston or NY?

thecaptain
07-13-06, 10:36 AM
I think the Yankees would have a interest in anyone who could go 5 innings .

4bronxbombers
07-13-06, 10:37 AM
As a Sox fan...NO THANKS! He's flamed out in 2 cities, and is a certified nucklehead. Why would he be successful in Boston or NY?

Why is he a knucklehead?

Bro Jackhammer
07-13-06, 10:38 AM
He's a selfish headcase, and he can't get it done in the NL. Would either team be that desperate?

MassNYYfan
He punched a judge in the face. Knuckle + head.

Knucklehead.

4bronxbombers

Knucklehead.

OK. I agree then. yikes

EdRuane
07-13-06, 10:39 AM
And a belly full of...

...uhh, food.

Bro Jackhammer
Why is he a knucklehead?

Read about his DUI's on Google.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
He's a selfish headcase, and he can't get it done in the NL. Would either team be that desperate?

Four words for you: Jason Johnson, Kris Wilson.

4bronxbombers
Read about his DUI's on Google.

Sounds like a hot head too if he punched a judge.

Bro Jackhammer

Knucklehead.

That too. :D

yankeebot
07-13-06, 10:40 AM

Knucklehead.
In his defense, wasn't he drunk and on the beach and did not know who it was that he was picking a fight with? He didn't go into court and punch the judge.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-13-06, 10:41 AM
In his defense, wasn't he drunk and on the beach and did not know who it was that he was picking a fight with? He didn't go into court and punch the judge.
Yes, he didn't realize he was assaulting a judge. But having a history of dui's and an assault charge seems to qualify a guy as a knucklehead.

Bro Jackhammer
07-13-06, 10:41 AM

Yeah, but those dudes aren't mental. ;)

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-13-06, 10:43 AM
I sure hope we don't sign him. I see little reason to think he'd be any better than Chacon or anyone in our bullpen.

DaPip1998
07-13-06, 10:47 AM
We haven't had someone fill the "pitcher who likes his alcohol" rold since Wells.......

TheBamTino24
07-13-06, 10:49 AM

Exactly. We know all about the Yankees' 5th starter troubles. But don't forget Boston is in a very similiar predictament. After Schilling and Beckett (26 HR), you have a knuckleballer in Wakefield and then what? The rookie Lester (1.55 WHIP) is somehow 4-0 and then Johnson.

Kulish29
07-13-06, 10:50 AM
If all he costs is money, sign him, throw him out there and see if it works. If it doesnt, no harm no foul.

I wouldnt be mad if they signed him.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
07-13-06, 10:52 AM
The biggest problem is that Ponson pitched like a 2 hit shutout vs. the Yankees a couple of years ago. When that happens, the Yankees never forget it and figure if that talent is there, they can get it out of him to perform again. That, however, ignores Ponson's body of work, which is as bad as his physical body is. But the Yankees have been the DFA kings the past few years. Considering he's got "experience" in the AL East, and Maz had him in Baltimore, it wouldn't shock me to see the Yankees try to sign him, give him a couple of starts to see if he can help, and if (when) he can't then go out on the trade market and see what type of pitcher you can get back. Torre mentioned something about Wilson has the start "for now" in an interview somewhere, I wonder if something is up or he's talking about the Arubian Dough Boy possibly coming in.

BroadwayBomber55
07-13-06, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry, but Sidney Ponson had weight problems, DUI problems in Aruba, and is very inconsistent throughout his career. I'll pass.

Shinebox
07-13-06, 10:59 AM
hmm... i mean if it costs nothing then i guess why not.
But this certainly doesn't give me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

the thing that scares me is "Released largely of his inability to pitch deep into games." That doesn't seem too helpful. I guess he does have better stuff than both Chacon and Wilson though.

.... whatever

kaos1
07-13-06, 11:00 AM
he's huge.. another david wells.. but less talent

NelsonMuntz
07-13-06, 11:09 AM
Oy vey. I hope this isn't true.

allstarcano22
07-13-06, 11:12 AM
this years numbers for Ponson....

4-4 5.24 ERA 33 K's 29 Walks 1.62 WHIP

has lost four straight decisions

there must be someone better out there then this guy

scooterfan
07-13-06, 11:12 AM
he's huge.. another david wells.. but less talent

More talent than Chacon or Kris Wilson for sure

He's pitched OK in the AL East - not great, but better than most teams' #5 starter

Maz had him in Baltimore - I'll defer to whatever Maz thinks as far as his character (or lack thereof) and his clubhouse presence.

ryanm1058123
07-13-06, 11:13 AM
chacon must have spit in Joe Torre's Fruit Loops or something

Johnny O
07-13-06, 11:23 AM
He's practically free, so why not take a flier? Chances aren't too good of a miraculous turn-around, but neither were the chances of the Small-Chacon success last year.

Panamaniac42
07-13-06, 11:30 AM
If all he costs is money, sign him, throw him out there and see if it works. If it doesnt, no harm no foul.

I wouldnt be mad if they signed him.

I'm with you on this one.

SheffRocks11
07-13-06, 11:31 AM
no thanks.

LeapsNbounds
07-13-06, 11:34 AM
"Released largely of his inability to pitch deep into games and a refusal last month to embrace his transfer to the bullpen, Ponson has attracted significant interest from the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox and could accept a bid from either club if he clears waivers."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/B6DC893D2BA582A1862571AA00161778?OpenDocument

Discuss....

Well these are the two teams throwing out garbage on the fifth day anyway, why not give pudgy Ponson a try. He has to be at least as good as Kris Wilson......

YankeePride1967
07-13-06, 11:37 AM
this is one time I will say "let's go Red Sox" and please sign him.

cupcollector99
07-13-06, 11:38 AM
He would be a problem with the Sox. He'd force them to add another table to the clubhouse buffet.

Seriously, I don't think he'd be a good choice but I could see Boston picking him up for free if just to pitch against NY because he had a few good games against them in the past.

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-13-06, 11:40 AM
I just remember that game a couple season ago where the Yankees rocked him. As the pounding continues, the guy starts laughing. No thanks.

GraniteYankee
07-13-06, 11:41 AM
That's a big pass.............

Maynerd
07-13-06, 11:41 AM
Hopefully, we're just trying to look interested to drive up the price for the Sox. I don't want any part of this guy. Isn't he also supposed to be a pain in the neck in the clubhouse?

sjb23
07-13-06, 11:52 AM
Ponson pitching for the Red Sox in August and September might actually have a positive affect on the Yanks' ability to overtake them for 1st place! :D

I think I'd rather count on Pavano --that should tell you how I feel about Ponson :D

GO RED SOX !! SIGN HIM !!

DrNick
07-13-06, 11:54 AM
No way Boston picks him up...I dont think its in their budget to add a third caterer for the post-game buffet

YankeePride1967
07-13-06, 11:54 AM
Hopefully, we're just trying to look interested to drive up the price for the Sox. I don't want any part of this guy. Isn't he also supposed to be a pain in the neck in the clubhouse?

This is not a guy, or the team, to try that. Ponson stinks and as we saw with Pedro and Damon, Boston is a team that puts a top dollar they'd pay a player and not cross that line.

MassNYYfan
07-13-06, 11:58 AM
The biggest problem is that Ponson pitched like a 2 hit shutout vs. the Yankees a couple of years ago.

*sigh*

My first ever game at Yankee Stadium. Sat up in the upper deck and felt like an ant under a magnifying glass it was so damn hot. Mariano got rocked, too.

brosiusbuddy
07-13-06, 12:18 PM

Kris Wilson was a minor leaguer in our system who we called up to make one start against Tampa. I wouldn't quite call that desperation, but rather exploring internal options. Ponson is a lazy ass who sucks and has had one decent year in a career full of crap. I really don't see the point in putting effort toward replacing a guy accused of having a bad attitude and unable to last 5 innings (Chacon) with a guy known for having a bad attitude and can't last 5 innings.

Sam18
07-13-06, 12:22 PM
Oh God please no.

nydeano
07-13-06, 12:29 PM
Hey! Kris Wilson was supposed to play in the AAA All Star Game!!!

I do think he could have some bullpen value.

PoughVirginiaYankee
07-13-06, 12:34 PM
Ugh..I don't even know if I can write anything substantial in this thread. The only comment I really want to add is: NO!

Don Mattingly
07-13-06, 12:36 PM
Well if we get Ponson, we can at least console ourselves with classic Beach Boys:

Aruba, you drunk-a, who would-a thunk-a,
he's drinking, not thinking, punches judges, stinkin
We've beat him, we need him, now that someone will release him, oh why don't don't we

Sign him to a one year deal,
He's sure to make fans squeal,
New York's where he wants a job,
to drink just like a fat slob

let's sign up Ponson-oh no!

JeffWeaverFan
07-13-06, 12:51 PM
Eh... I really dislike the guy but he might be better than Wilson/Chacon.

EdRuane
07-13-06, 12:58 PM
The biggest problem is that Ponson pitched like a 2 hit shutout vs. the Yankees a couple of years ago. When that happens, the Yankees never forget it and figure if that talent is there, they can get it out of him to perform again. That, however, ignores Ponson's body of work, which is as bad as his physical body is.

Carl Pavano says hi.

And in doing so, he strains his vocal chords and goes in the 60-day DL.

TMS
07-13-06, 01:02 PM

Does he now?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e8/WillFerrell.jpg/200px-WillFerrell.jpg

destelle
07-13-06, 01:06 PM
... Ponson is a lazy ass who sucks and has had one decent year in a career full of crap...

well said. perfectly put. i hope we don't go anywhere near ponson.

BRNXBMRS
07-13-06, 01:06 PM
Didnt Ponson get released last year and the Yanks didnt have any interest in him?

allstarcano22
07-13-06, 01:13 PM
i think we should give Chacon one final chance, if he pitches liek he has been then call up White. Its not like Shawn woke up i nbed one day and said hmmm i think i'm going to start sucking... yeah that sounds good. He pitched great last year for us, and in his one postseason start he did great. He had carried that over into this year untill he was inujured. I think we owe him one more shot, and if he can't pitch well then let him go.

ChinMusic
07-13-06, 01:21 PM
We dont need no stinkin Aruban judge beater.

Yanks21
07-13-06, 01:27 PM
FWIW, Mike Mussina was Ponson's mentor back when Ponson broke into the bigs. Things went donwhill for Ponson when Moose left, and Ponson started hanging out with Scott Erickson and other party boys...

I'm ambivalent. He can't be any worse than some of the arms of recent years (Tim Redding; Darryl May). Yet, I could care less if he goes elsewhere...

Quangormo
07-13-06, 01:39 PM
this years numbers for Ponson....

4-4 5.24 ERA 33 K's 29 Walks 1.62 WHIP

has lost four straight decisions

there must be someone better out there then this guy
Yes, but at what cost? The cost for Sir Sidney is certainly reasonable enough.

Quangormo
07-13-06, 01:41 PM
He's practically free
1/3 to 1/2 of the minimum salary. The Cards would b eon the hook for the rest.

The Yankees ahve always worked the scrap heap well. Guiel is workignout so far, and remember Luis Sojo? Maybe this works. If not, as someone said, no harm, no foul.

Quangormo
07-13-06, 01:42 PM
I just remember that game a couple season ago where the Yankees rocked him. As the pounding continues, the guy starts laughing. No thanks.
Baltimore has a long record of ruining pitchers with terrific potential. Remember Ben McDonald? Rocky Coppinger?

Quangormo
07-13-06, 01:46 PM
We dont need no stinkin Aruban judge beater.
Why not? The Aruban authorities deserve a beating for the way they've been handling the Holloway casae.

wileedog
07-13-06, 01:48 PM
1/3 to 1/2 of the minimum salary. The Cards would b eon the hook for the rest.

The Yankees ahve always worked the scrap heap well. Guiel is workignout so far, and remember Luis Sojo? Maybe this works. If not, as someone said, no harm, no foul.

If it doesn't work you lose ballgames figuring out its not working. Especially with a starter who can put you down 4 runs before the game even gets going.

He also costs the bullpen more innings if/when he stinks it up early.

And for every Chacon or Sojo there is also the Ericksons and Embrees.

We have neither the luxery of wins or bullpen innings to waste.

Mean Linguine
07-13-06, 01:49 PM
No more Big Stein reclamation projects.
If they're knuckleheads before they get to the Yanks, they're probably going to be knuckleheads while they're with the Yanks.
Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry traded their jail stripes for pinstripes, then went back to jail stripes.

SheffRocks11
07-13-06, 01:51 PM
Does he now?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e8/WillFerrell.jpg/200px-WillFerrell.jpg

random...

silverdsl
07-13-06, 01:52 PM
Usually I'm all for the Yankees taking a chance on a pitcher if it won't cost them much. But in this case I really hope they don't sign Ponson. If he had just gotten in trouble with the law once it might be one thing but three times seems like a pattern. The other thing with the DUI charges is that if I'm remembering correctly he tried to keep the first DUI a secret from his team at the time (the O's?) and they only found out about it because of the second DUI. Add in the weight issues and I don't think it's wise to go with Ponson.

kaos1
07-13-06, 01:52 PM
Ponson Nope

4bronxbombers
07-13-06, 01:54 PM
Usually I'm all for the Yankees taking a chance on a pitcher if it won't cost them much. But in this case I really hope they don't sign Ponson. If he had just gotten in trouble with the law once it might be one thing but three times seems like a pattern. The other thing with the DUI charges is that if I'm remembering correctly he tried to keep the first DUI a secret from his team at the time (the O's?) and they only found out about it because of the second DUI. Add in the weight issues and I don't think it's wise to go with Ponson.

The New York media would be there with their claws out if it happened. After reading about him I'm hoping it doesn't happen.

kaos1
07-13-06, 01:54 PM
chacon must have spit in Joe Torre's Fruit Loops or something

lol that was funny

BrooklynBotz
07-13-06, 01:56 PM
I don't really care about his past DUIs and assaults, if all he will cost is money he might not be a bad 5th starter. I know he's better than Kris Wilson and if he blows up right away, we can just drop his big butt.

35Knucklecurve
07-13-06, 03:06 PM
As they say in Texas, El Paso. No, no, no. Ponson has the talent but lacks the discipline to ever be successful. Once he gets into a jam during a game, he seems to just mail it in and has never been receptive to advice. Once in awhile, he will pitch a great game, but it's happened less and less with each passing year. I'd rather stick with Chacon and see if he can turn it around. If he can't, Ponson isn't the answer.

LeapsNbounds
07-13-06, 03:10 PM
If it doesn't work you lose ballgames figuring out its not working. Especially with a starter who can put you down 4 runs before the game even gets going..

He will probably put down 4 cheeseburgers before the game as well, THEN give up the 4 runs.

Hey maybe his large body can prevent singles up the middle :dunno:

hellonewman
07-13-06, 03:24 PM
If the alternative is another Kris Wilson Production, I don't object to running Ponson out there once and see what happens. On the other hand, I'd probably prefer giving Steven White a look or taking one last stab at it with Chacon than signing Ponson.

TMS
07-13-06, 03:24 PM
random...

that's Ron Burgundy dude... he uses that "electric" line sometimes... i guess you're not a fan of the SNL skits Will Ferrell does w/that character. :D

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-13-06, 03:42 PM
WFAN just reported Yanks are on verge on signing Ponson and conference call confirming it will be soon...

JeffWeaverFan
He's signed... Just announced on WFAN that Cash is about to announce this on a conference call. Our 5th starter is now Sidney Ponson...

In Mo I Trust
At least he doesn't cost anything.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
07-13-06, 03:44 PM
Can I edit my own thread title...there apparently was smoke and fire on this one.

Yankees13
07-13-06, 03:44 PM
He's no better than Shawn Chacon, Steven White, or Kris Wilson. Waste.

JeffWeaverFan
07-13-06, 03:45 PM
Well, he doesnt K many batters and he walks too many, but his G/F ratio is excellent... We shall see.

In Mo I Trust
07-13-06, 03:46 PM
I can't complain, keep trying guys until something sticks.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-13-06, 03:50 PM
I like it, he was great the first two months of the season, he had a bad June, and was bad in a relief apperance in July and his last apperance was a start where he went 6.0 and gave up 1 ER. Low risk, high reward. Like it Cash...

IronCaballo4
07-13-06, 03:50 PM
Looks like we've signed him, according to ESPNews

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-13-06, 03:51 PM
FWIW, Mike Mussina was Ponson's mentor back when Ponson broke into the bigs. Things went donwhill for Ponson when Moose left, and Ponson started hanging out with Scott Erickson and other party boys...

His best years, by far, came after Moose left.

scooterfan
07-13-06, 03:51 PM

I wish we gave White a shot

I'd figure Ponson will get a start or two - meaning White will get a start or two more at Columbus.

Let's see how this comes out

And I'm sure we did homework here. Joe Torre knows people in the Cards organization, and Maz managed Ponson.

jnewmark
07-13-06, 03:52 PM
I'd be dishonest if I said I was'nt scared of this move. Ponson was not what I had in mind. Stanger moves have happened ( Small, Chacon ) and have worked out, but I have a bad feeling about this one. How long will the Yanks give him? Is he going to the bullpen? Lotta questions in my mind.

Yankees13
07-13-06, 03:52 PM
Eh this was probably too harsh, but I still think White could do a better job.

hellonewman
07-13-06, 03:57 PM
Hope for the best (this forum could use a praying smiley).

NYDCYankee
07-13-06, 03:58 PM
Isn't Chacon better than Ponson?

gdn
07-13-06, 04:00 PM
He's signed. Can't wait to hear the interview with Torre at 5.

nydeano
07-13-06, 04:07 PM
He's signed. Can't wait to hear the interview with Torre at 5.

Hey gdn, keep us posted on Torres comments, por favor. Graci-your-ass.

NYJets37
07-13-06, 04:09 PM
Hey gdn, keep us posted on Torres comments, por favor. Graci-your-ass.

I think the Torre interview was yesterday, not today this week.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-13-06, 04:10 PM
Isn't Chacon better than Ponson?
He was better last year. But both this year and 2004 Ponson was better.

jpao89
07-13-06, 04:13 PM
As long as it doesn't cost anything it can't hurt. But this guy has all the makings to wilt under the pressure of NY, before he even throws a pitch.

hobokenfish
07-13-06, 05:12 PM

Actually, he is better. And it basically costs a pro-rated minimum salary, so there's no harm in giving him a shot. He had 17 wins a couple of years ago and he has pitched in the AL East before. No idea if he can handle pitching in NY, but it's a low risk move for a 5th starter who could potentially help us.

ManilaYankee
07-13-06, 06:02 PM
Well... He's now a "Yankee"...

A David Wells reincarnate, not pitching-wise if you know what I mean. Just like what I said with "Colon being a Yankee"...

:doh:

Big_E
07-13-06, 06:09 PM
So now we're signing guys who were released when Jeff Weaver joins a team? Man we're in trouble...

JDPNYY
07-13-06, 06:18 PM
One should never believe the St Louis Press.

Tifoso
07-13-06, 11:48 PM
Maybe once a year :D

brosiusbuddy
07-14-06, 12:22 AM
Actually, he is better. And it basically costs a pro-rated minimum salary, so there's no harm in giving him a shot. He had 17 wins a couple of years ago and he has pitched in the AL East before. No idea if he can handle pitching in NY, but it's a low risk move for a 5th starter who could potentially help us.

No, he's really not better than Chacon. Both have been guys who have never managed to get many wins or pitch very many innings and both have had 1 very good season in their careers ('03 for Ponson, '05 for Chacon) while the rest has been mediocre to bad.

Chacon's career ERA is 5.05, his WHIP 1.50 and his K/9 is 5.48. Ponson has a career 4.83 ERA, 1.45 WHIP and 5.38 K/9. You could argue Ponson is marginally better because of his ERA but when you consider Chacon pitched for a while in Colorado, that argument doesn't hold water. So they are basically both the same mediocre pitcher.