PDA

View Full Version : Starters for Devil Rays against Yankees

berriYankee
07-06-06, 07:07 PM
Anybody know who the starters are for the Devil Rays this Friday thru Sunday?

Thanks.

:P:P:P

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-06-06, 07:34 PM
Seo, Kazmir and Fossum. Fossum has strung together 3 pretty good starts.

Jglaubman
07-06-06, 10:06 PM
According to yankees.com

Friday: Jaret Wright vs. Jae Seo
Saturday: Chien-Ming Wang vs. Scott Kazmir
Sunday: Kris Wilson vs. Casey Fossum

kan_t
07-06-06, 10:09 PM
According to yankees.com

I will be happy if we are not swept.

dabomb2045
07-06-06, 10:11 PM
According to yankees.com

Yikes. Dont feel good about any of those matchups.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-06-06, 10:14 PM
I feel what we can take 2 of 3 if not sweep

kan_t
07-06-06, 10:16 PM
I feel the opposite. I think we can be swept easily.

ManilaYankee
07-06-06, 10:17 PM
Just win 2/3 would be fine. Sweep of the D-Rays would be a major plus. ;)

As always, I'd be cheering whoever is playing against Boston. :D

dabomb2045
07-06-06, 10:22 PM

What matchups do you feel good about it?? Seo-Wright is a tossup, prob our best chance to win.

Kazmir has been on fire lately. Fossum usually does good against us.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-06-06, 10:24 PM
What matchups do you feel good about it?? Seo-Wright is a tossup, prob our best chance to win.

Seo sucks, Wright has been doing good lately with the exception of his last start
We have hit Kazmir before, I am not worried about him at all
Fossum is a pain in the ass usually and that will be the hardest game to win

allstarcano22
07-06-06, 10:34 PM
Boston is play the CHi SOX

nnysiny
07-06-06, 10:36 PM
looks like an easy TB series win

kan_t
07-06-06, 10:45 PM
We have hit Kazmir before, I am not worried about him at all
The problem is that you forget Wang gets killed by TB nearly everytime.

DJ27
07-06-06, 11:13 PM
We win 2 out of 3; Boston loses 2 out of 3; We go into the break 2 back! I will take it.

RollingWave
07-06-06, 11:23 PM
Wang's last start against TB was 7IP 2ER IIRC, it was a bit shaky but it was improved from last year. though in all honestly Kazmir is just flat out scary these days.

Seo sucks, and Wright did well against Tampa last time.

Sunday could go either way...

I'd think 1 out of 3 to 2 out of 3 is most likely... I doubt we'll get swept but also not much more likely that we sweep them.

DJ27
07-06-06, 11:27 PM
I will be happy if we are not swept.

Can't believe we are talking about the D-Rays. Last year has really impacted our pysche towards them.

allstarcano22
07-06-06, 11:30 PM
man i wish we had carl crawford he is just a straight up balla.

RIYankee23
07-06-06, 11:43 PM
I feel the opposite. I think we can be swept easily.

I think we got that the first time you posted it.

Gringaloca
07-06-06, 11:44 PM
Can't believe we are talking about the D-Rays. Last year has really impacted our pysche towards them.

How about the last 2-3 years?...DRays always play us tough. This weekend will be no exception, especially after coming away with a series win against the mighty RedSox.

Wright is overdue for a good game...will it happen tomorrow night?...:)
Kazmir is the real deal. If Wang doesn't have the sinker working...:eek:
Kris Wilson who?...if the DRay lineup continues their hot hitting...he won't go 4 .
Casey will be his unpredictable self...but give him a lead and he's on target.

Yankees will be more than lucky to get two outta three in Tropicana field...even tho' it'll be filled with Yankee fans.:)

-tz
07-06-06, 11:50 PM
Fossum always sounds to me like it should mean something like "Would that I might have" in Latin! :P

RIYankee23
07-06-06, 11:51 PM
How about the last 2-3 years?...DRays always play us tough. This weekend will be no exception, especially after coming away with a series win against the mighty RedSox.

Wright is overdue for a good game...will it happen tomorrow night?...:)
Kazmir is the real deal. If Wang doesn't have the sinker working...:eek:
Kris Wilson who?...if the DRay lineup continues their hot hitting...he won't go 4 .
Casey will be his unpredictable self...but give him a lead and he's on target.

Yankees will be more than lucky to get two outta three in Tropicana field...even tho' it'll be filled with Yankee fans.:)

Enough of the nonsense. Despite the injuries and Kazmir, the Yankees are far and away the better team. TB is coming off a series win agst Boston and is due for a letdown. They're still the Drays, they're still not that good. The Yankees will win 2 out of 3.

Wright has given us at least 5 good innings more often than not and Seo sucks.

Wang has been great this year, he's very capable of having a good duel with Kazmir in a game that could go either way.

Wilson will have plenty of support from the pen in the last game before the break. Fossum has been hot lately but he's also due for a letdown.

More than enough opportunities for the Yankees to take 2 out of 3 if not sweep.

knickfan23
07-06-06, 11:52 PM

DB, turns out, Wright has had very good success against Tampa.

This year, he pitched on May 3rd at TB and went 6 IP and gave up 2 runs and 3 hits and got the win.

Last year, he pitched in August at TB and went 6 1/3 IP and gave up 2 runs and 4 hits and got the win. He pitched again in September and got a win going 7 IP and gave up 3 runs and 5 hits.

In total, at Tampa, Wright is 3-0 vs. TB with a 3.44 ERA over the last 2 years. I think tomorrow night bodes very well for the Yanks.

brosiusbuddy
07-07-06, 12:14 AM
The fact that there are people here who think we could be swept, let alone easily swept, is mind boggling to me. They are 26th in the Majors in runs scored and 29th in OBP. They are also 24th in team ERA and 6th in walks given up.

Put 2 and 2 together. Their poor pitching, plus our patient offense. Their poor pitching, plus their poor offense.

Sure, Kazmir is a tough pitcher, but we have a good pitcher going up against him. And we will face their bullpen... we will win at least 2 of 3.

BroadwayBomber55
07-07-06, 12:20 AM
Hopefully, if the Yankees offense can mix and match the hustle and speed element to go along with the power element and the starters continue to have quality, effective starts to rest the bullpen, the Yankees will win this series.

CallOfTheCrow
07-07-06, 12:24 AM
Fossum always seems to pitch well against us.

conkermaniac
07-07-06, 12:26 AM
The Yankees definitely have the best chance tomorrow against Seo with Wright pitching. He's been very successful against the D'Rays--in fact, for a while, they seemed to be the only team he could shut down. I would be very very surprised if the anemic Yankee offense did anything against Kazmir. The final game, with Wilson pitching, is a tossup. I have a feeling that Wilson will either get blown out or pitch great for 6 or 7 innings. The Yankees can score 3 or 4 runs off Fossum.

Gringaloca
07-07-06, 12:31 AM
Fossum always seems to pitch well against us.

And Kazmir has been pitching well against everyone this year....

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=431148

Sorry...but this matchup scares me the most. Kazmir vs Wang on Saturday night.

CallOfTheCrow
07-07-06, 12:33 AM
They always seem to be able to figure out Kazmir though. Whenever I seen him pitch, the Yanks beat him.

RIYankee23
07-07-06, 12:35 AM
The fact that there are people here who think we could be swept, let alone easily swept, is mind boggling to me. They are 26th in the Majors in runs scored and 29th in OBP. They are also 24th in team ERA and 6th in walks given up.

Put 2 and 2 together. Their poor pitching, plus our patient offense. Their poor pitching, plus their poor offense.

Sure, Kazmir is a tough pitcher, but we have a good pitcher going up against him. And we will face their bullpen... we will win at least 2 of 3.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the same group wants to wave the white flag on our playoff hopes as well.

allstarcano22
07-07-06, 12:39 AM
IMO the yanks should be able to hit kazmir better then other teams
we have patient hitters, it seems like his bread and butter pitch is a slider down and in out of the strike zone that people chase. Thats the pitch he made the sox look silly with anyways.

conkermaniac
07-07-06, 12:40 AM
They would have swept the Red Sox had it been a 3-game and not a 4-game series. This is a hot team. I wouldn't mess with them right now.

RIYankee23
07-07-06, 12:50 AM
They would have swept the Red Sox had it been a 3-game and not a 4-game series. This is a hot team. I wouldn't mess with them right now.

Why even play? Just give the Drays the 3 games. :eek:

It's not like the Yankees have been playing terrible baseball. Other than the split in Cleveland, they've won the last 4 series. The Yankees are 13 games over 500, the Drays are 10 under. They're a bad team. Their lineup is weak and their bullpen is horrible. I fully expect another series win for the Yankees.

Gringaloca
07-07-06, 12:51 AM
we have patient hitters, it seems like his bread and butter pitch is a slider down and in out of the strike zone that people chase. Thats the pitch he made the sox look silly with anyways.

And isn't that why we have 'advance scouts'.?...:) Hopefully someone is reading those reports as I type....:D

Not to be a 'glass half empty'...but TB has consistently played harder against the Yankees in the past 2-3 years than we ever expected.
Maybe it's an 'ego' thing..our ST site is in their own backyard...we fill 'their' Stadium with Yankee fans...'David vs Goliath' mindset..
I don't expect a TB sweep by any means...and we 'should' take this series, but I won't be surprised if we don't. We never seem to take them seriously..and it ends up biting us in the a$$ too often.

YanksForLife
07-07-06, 12:52 AM
Their lineup is weak and their bullpen is horrible. I fully expect another series win for the Yankees.

Their bullpen is horrible, yes. But their lineup is anything but weak.

RollingWave
07-07-06, 12:58 AM
Their lineup don't hit for average.... and dont walk much... but other than that it's quite good when they actaully do get on they steal like crazy (though they get cought a lot too... Yanks actually makes more succesful steals) and they actually crank out a ton of HR (they have over 100 HR already, Yanks havn't)

If they could actually get on base more frequently, this lineup is really up there with the top of the pack... but right now they can't, that's their weakness... they don't get on enough.

RIYankee23
07-07-06, 12:58 AM

Well they have 376 runs scrored which is 3rd worst in the AL. I wouldn't exactly call that a potent lineup.

Gringaloca
07-07-06, 01:01 AM

Carl Crawford...Rocco Baldelli...Aubrey Huff...Julio Lugo..Johnny Gomes..Ty Wigginton...Jorge Cantu
And they have some 'speed'...Crawford/Lugo for starters.

This will be no cakewalk, boys & girls..We've definitely got our work cut out for us.

brosiusbuddy
07-07-06, 09:38 AM

All they can do is hit some homers. They're near the bottom of the Major Leagues in Runs scored and in OBP. Solo shots dont hurt that much.

seppy
07-07-06, 09:41 AM
Well they have 376 runs scrored which is 3rd worst in the AL. I wouldn't exactly call that a potent lineup.

To be fair, they were dealing with a lot of injuries at the beginning of the season. I don't think that would be the case if they had had all of their regulars in place from the beginning.

brosiusbuddy
07-07-06, 09:42 AM

who gives a crap about Boston. Boston was due to lose a couple games because they'd won their last 12 or whatever. Plus... we're not Boston. Just because Team A beats Team B and Team B is ahead of Team C in the standings, doesn't mean Team A will beat Team C.

Baseball has a lot to do against individual matchups. Yanks have a lot of guys who hit extremely well against Tampa while Boston seemingly always struggles v Boston.

Woodshed42
07-07-06, 09:47 AM
They have no good options in their bullpen...I'm confident we will win every game that is close in the late innings.

The starters need to get us to the 7th innings. Our pen is well rested after the past two blowout wins.

sweet_lou_14
07-07-06, 09:57 AM
I expect a hard-fought series, with at least one slugfest that's won in the late innings, but I think the Yanks will get 2 of 3. I don't expect the Yankees to take the Devil Rays lightly ... if anything, it's the team languishing in last place that's more likely to have a letup in their intensity level heading into the All-Star break.

I think the Yankees smell blood, knowing that the Red Sox have to play Chicago. The opportunity to gain ground in the standings will give them plenty of motivation this weekend.

brosiusbuddy
07-07-06, 10:11 AM
I'll be at the game tonight... just thought I'd tell everyone

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-07-06, 10:22 AM
It's not like the Yankees have been playing terrible baseball. Other than the split in Cleveland, they've won the last 4 series. The Yankees are 13 games over 500, the Drays are 10 under. They're a bad team. Their lineup is weak and their bullpen is horrible. I fully expect another series win for the Yankees.
Since the beginning of June, the yanks have been 0.5 games better than the Rays, so while we're not playing terrible baseball, we're not playing any better than them either. I'd be surprised if the yanks got swept, and I don't see any reason to think the Rays somehow are the favorite for the series, but with only 1 reliable pitcher going for the yanks, there's little reason to think this is anything other than a toss-up.

VerMonsteR
07-07-06, 10:33 AM
Baseball has a lot to do against individual matchups. Yanks have a lot of guys who hit extremely well against Tampa while Boston seemingly always struggles v Boston.

AFLAC!:D

Arod for President
07-07-06, 12:08 PM
Kazmir is a killer. what I wouldnt give for his arm in our rotation.

Fossum is due for an implosion :D

SoCal Pinstriper
07-07-06, 12:31 PM
I'll be at the game tonight... just thought I'd tell everyoneI had you pegged as "The Heckler" all along. ;)

Despite not having a clear advantage in the matchups, I think that we'll find a way to cobble together a couple of wins.

Key to the series: Avoid the humiliation of allowing Crawford (or Lugo, or anyone else) to steal home. :D

TEPLimey
07-07-06, 12:46 PM
Boston is play the CHi SOX

This matchup will make heads explode at ESPN.

Who should they suck up to more? The darlings of baseball who won the World Series against all odds or the scrappy smaller-market-than-the-Yankees underdogs who rose up won the World Series? (note: ESPN think both apply to both teams)

Contreras - the undefeated warrior or Schilling - the veteran warrior? Irreplaceable Big "heart and soul" Papi or Irreplaceable Scott "heart and soul" Posednik?

Me? I'm rooting for an Ozzie Guillen gun-weilding meltdown where he takes out both teams.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-07-06, 12:55 PM
This matchup will make heads explode at ESPN.

Who should they suck up to more? The darlings of baseball who won the World Series against all odds or the scrappy smaller-market-than-the-Yankees underdogs who rose up won the World Series? (note: ESPN think both apply to both teams)

Contreras - the undefeated warrior or Schilling - the veteran warrior? Irreplaceable Big "heart and soul" Papi or Irreplaceable Scott "heart and soul" Posednik?

Me? I'm rooting for an Ozzie Guillen gun-weilding meltdown where he takes out both teams.

Im rooting for Ozzie to flip out and hit somebody with a chair:D

Dr. Gonzo
07-07-06, 01:05 PM
at least with wang we have a shot in that game

i don't like wilson going, chacon should go.

B.A.
07-07-06, 01:18 PM

Agreed...Being patient and getting to the 'pen will be key against Kazmir. If the Yanks can be really disciplined at the plate they should be just fine. Plus Wang got his stinker out in his last turn, so lets hope hes back to June form.

brosiusbuddy
07-07-06, 01:23 PM
chacon should go.

Literally. He needs to leave. :P

Smithers
07-07-06, 01:28 PM
Im rooting for Ozzie to flip out and hit somebody with a chair:D

. . . during the All-Star game.

snoopynick
07-07-06, 06:39 PM

ok, guys, we need some reason here. did you even look at the stats when you wrote this? kazmir is becoming an ace, a cy young candidate and i love wang, but he's a number 3. anyway, more to the point, yes, the yankees are a patient team, but the you're saying they'll be able to lay off pitches the red sox could not. boston has the best OBP of any team in baseball. they are THE most patient team. we may beat kazmir, but it won't be because we're more patient.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-07-06, 06:47 PM
ok, guys, we need some reason here. did you even look at the stats when you wrote this? kazmir is becoming an ace, a cy young candidate and i love wang, but he's a number 3. anyway, more to the point, yes, the yankees are a patient team, but the you're saying they'll be able to lay off pitches the red sox could not. boston has the best OBP of any team in baseball. they are THE most patient team. we may beat kazmir, but it won't be because we're more patient.

We hit well against him the only time we faced him this season. As for patience, that isnt always measured by obp. A better way to measure would be obp-average, and of course that number will be skewed by the bottom 3 of our line up who are only playing because of fluke injuries.

kan_t
07-07-06, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised if the same group wants to wave the white flag on our playoff hopes as well.
Funny, thinking we can be swept by the TB after looking our starters are Wright, Wilson and facing one of the best LHP in the game equal to waving the white flag on our playoff hopes.

RIYankee23
07-07-06, 11:36 PM
Funny, thinking we can be swept by the TB after looking our starters are Wright, Wilson and facing one of the best LHP in the game equal to waving the white flag on our playoff hopes.

Looks like you were wrong. ;)

You have to look at the numbers overall. Looking at it before the game tonight Wright has consistently been giving us a chance (unlike Chacon) but he just can't usually go more than 5 or 6 innings. He's opposed by Seo who was horrible with the Dodgers this year (a 5.6 ERA in the NL) which alot worse than Wright. So how does that favor the Drays?

Wang has been very good this year, he has pitched some gems. He's coming off a bad start, just like RJ I expect him to rebound strongly. He's perfectly capable of outdueling Kazmir.

Sunday is a toss up. Wilson can't be any worse than Chacon, while Fossum is very hittable. Also, alot of the bullpen will be ready if necessary to bail out Wilson.

Finally, the Yankees have a much better bullpen than the Drays. Even if Kazmir shuts the Yankees out through 7, their pen is very capable of blowing it.

I'm just sick of alot of the negativity. The Yankees are only 3 games back despite being w/o Sheff, Matsui, Damon, and Cano. They have the 5th best record in the majors. Yes anything is possible in baseball, but the Yankees should always be the favorites heading into a series with Tampa, instead of acting like they have a very good chance at being swept.