PDA

View Full Version : Does the Gathright trade "free up" Reggie Sanders to the Yankees?

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
06-20-06, 08:47 PM
Interesting deal today which sent Gathright from Tampa to KC. You have to wonder if this is a domino deal that could send Sanders to the Yankees. We know they've been talking (and KC has asked for too much), but now KC has DeJesus, Gathright, and Emil Brown in the outfield. Sanders is a 4th outfielder who has very little value in the long range plans of the club. You have to wonder if something is going on with a possible deal.

hellonewman
06-20-06, 08:51 PM
Maybe, but the next Hughes Kansas City asks for better be Howard.

scooterfan
06-20-06, 08:54 PM
Sanders is a 4th outfielder who has very little value in the long range plans of the club. You have to wonder if something is going on with a possible deal.

Exactly

I'd stop at "has very little value"

Why do we want him? We're already running one 37 year old outfielder out there almost every day

dabomb2045
06-20-06, 08:56 PM
Reggie Sanders is a bad baseball player....and I dont want him. Face reality people, we are NOT getting any bigtime OF's via trade unless we give up alot...which I dont want, and Cashman wont do anyways.

We are gonna play with what we have now.....so get used to alot of Bernie, Crosby, Reese, KT, Cabrera. Get used to getting little to no production from the OF. And get used to this team struggling.

38Special
06-20-06, 09:03 PM
reggie cant hit or field anymore

good move

MattUNC2003
06-20-06, 09:08 PM
reggie cant hit or field anymore

good move

I agree, 38. Why in the hell do the Yankees want him? We've already got his equivalent in Bernie Williams, and Bernie is actually hitting for a better average this year. :barf: :barf:

If the Yanks are gonna make a move for a corner OFer, I at least want Sori....and I don't even want him on the Yanks that much at all to begin with.

rajah
06-20-06, 09:32 PM
I agree, 38. Why in the hell do the Yankees want him? We've already got his equivalent in Bernie Williams, and Bernie is actually hitting for a better average this year. :barf: :barf:

If the Yanks are gonna make a move for a corner OFer, I at least want Sori....and I don't even want him on the Yanks that much at all to begin with.

Why would you not want Sori? I understand that he would cost more than the Y's can or should give up. But that is a different question. The y's need another live bat.

38Special
06-20-06, 09:44 PM
soriano still swings at garbage but he just seems to snap out of it against us

and his defense is horrifying

BomberBrian
06-20-06, 09:47 PM
if they want to move dejesus that would be the only one i'd be interested in.

rajah
06-20-06, 09:56 PM
soriano still swings at garbage but he just seems to snap out of it against us

and his defense is horrifying

Right; all of his HRs were hit against the Yankees in 3 games. And how many "horrifying" plays have you witnessed?

You are the guy who would rather try to get into the playoffs this year with Melky in LF than Soriano. There isn't an executive or manager in baseball who would rather have Soriano in LF for the rest of this year than Melky. I know he would cost too much. But, please, don't try to tell us that he is not a valuable player simply because his defense is below average and he swings at bad pitches. The Yankees would be very, very fortunate to have some one at his level playing LF right now.

dogg
06-20-06, 10:04 PM
Reggie Sanders is a bad baseball player....and I dont want him. Face reality people, we are NOT getting any bigtime OF's via trade unless we give up alot...which I dont want, and Cashman wont do anyways.

We are gonna play with what we have now.....so get used to alot of Bernie, Crosby, Reese, KT, Cabrera. Get used to getting little to no production from the OF. And get used to this team struggling.

I wouldn't give up Hughes unless the Yanks get Ichiro or that caliber for him.
The days of trading blue chips for bull chips are hopefully over.

dabomb2045
06-20-06, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't give up Hughes unless the Yanks get Ichiro or that caliber for him.
The days of trading blue chips for bull chips are hopefully over.

I'll trade Hughes for Santana....thats about it

BroadwayBomber55
06-20-06, 10:15 PM
I say no thanks to Reggie Sanders. Let Melky Cabrera and Kevin Thompson learn on the fly in Yankee pinstripes.

Dr. Gonzo
06-20-06, 10:38 PM
what does sanders bring to the team?

Yankeeah
06-20-06, 10:39 PM
Cashman isn't this stupid, right?

iWant27
06-20-06, 10:40 PM
I dont know much about the players from the other teams ....but why Sanders .....why ????

CharlieHayes
06-20-06, 10:42 PM
This team has a lot more problems than Reggie Sanders can cure.

stephsamps
06-20-06, 10:46 PM

Yup. We already had our Reggie in pinstripes.

MassNYYfan
06-20-06, 10:49 PM

:-werd-:

flymick24
06-20-06, 10:49 PM

age and decrepitness

MassNYYfan
06-20-06, 10:53 PM
age and decrepitness

He's been through the fires with St. Louis (most recently, among others) though.

Spiker101
06-20-06, 10:55 PM
Right; all of his HRs were hit against the Yankees in 3 games. And how many "horrifying" plays have you witnessed?

You are the guy who would rather try to get into the playoffs this year with Melky in LF than Soriano. There isn't an executive or manager in baseball who would rather have Soriano in LF for the rest of this year than Melky. I know he would cost too much. But, please, don't try to tell us that he is not a valuable player simply because his defense is below average and he swings at bad pitches. The Yankees would be very, very fortunate to have some one at his level playing LF right now.

Don't tell 38Special this but coming into play tonight Sori's on-base percentage was identical to Melky's. There's a little difference in their slugging percentages, though. Having said that, Soriano isn't really a good fit with the Yanks longterm and he would cost too much for a half-season rental.

Spiker101
06-20-06, 10:58 PM

Why would you want another punch-and-judy conrer outfielder? We've got two of them already.

flymick24
06-20-06, 10:58 PM
i've watched soriano almost every game this season and his performance, while stunning, has still reeked of "contract year."

his patience at the plate this season is an anamoly.

DJ27
06-20-06, 10:59 PM

That "veteran experience"?? ;) ;) PASS!

38Special
06-20-06, 11:00 PM
Don't tell 38Special this but coming into play tonight Sori's on-base percentage was identical to Melky's. There's a little difference in their slugging percentages, though. Having said that, Soriano isn't really a good fit with the Yanks longterm and he would cost too much for a half-season rental.

its not a question of being better than melky right now. soriano isnt coming for free

SeanM
06-20-06, 11:09 PM
If Reggie Sanders is a 4th outfielder, Joey Gathright is a 12th OF'er. .190 batting averages don't get you very far.

DandyAndy46
06-20-06, 11:10 PM

another AARP membership

Spiker101
06-20-06, 11:14 PM
its not a question of being better than melky right now. soriano isnt coming for free

Sori came into tonight with a .349 on-base and went two for five tonight, so it's at .350 at least, and that's slightly above average. I would never have thought it possible. But I agree with you, Soriano isn't a fit with the Yanks. He's not a good enough a second baseman defensively and we have a very solid leftfielder for the longterm. And he would cost WAY too much when the chances are probably 50-50 Matsui will be back in mid-August.

BomberBrian
06-20-06, 11:34 PM
Why would you want another punch-and-judy conrer outfielder? We've got two of them already.

cause that's exactly what dejesus is.

38Special
06-20-06, 11:45 PM
There's no chance they trade DeJesus though. He's young, signed for cheap for a while, and a great player

chanman7483
06-20-06, 11:47 PM
If Reggie Sanders is a 4th outfielder, Joey Gathright is a 12th OF'er. .190 batting averages don't get you very far.

But he's FAST

Spiker101
06-20-06, 11:54 PM
There's no chance they trade DeJesus though. He's young, signed for cheap for a while, and a great player

You might be able to describe him as a great player as a centerfielder, but he doesn't hit enough to call him a great corner outfielder. He's what I expect Melky to evolve into a few years down the road. I can't see giving up anything substantial when you have Melky.

Mark19
06-20-06, 11:56 PM
KC will trade Mientkiewicz, Grudzielanek, Sanders, Redman, Stairs and Brown.

None of them particularly interests me

Brown could be useful but he wouldn't be a big upgrade

CharlieHayes
06-21-06, 12:02 AM
Wish KC had a useful reliever to trade us, too

BBombers85
06-21-06, 12:37 AM
KC will trade Mientkiewicz, Grudzielanek, Sanders, Redman, Stairs and Brown.

None of them particularly interests me

Brown could be useful but he wouldn't be a big upgrade

No more Browns pls..bad memories

Dannman103
06-21-06, 01:03 AM
if we're making a trade, id like to get a difference maker, not a guy who's not going to really bring anything new to the table...he would be an upgrade, but not a big enough one to really make a huge difference

JeffWeaverFan
06-21-06, 01:04 AM
Call me crazy but I like both Melky and Bernie better than Sanders in the outfield. I wouldn't mind him on the bench.

NYDCYankee
06-21-06, 01:05 AM
I actually like Sanders.

Dannman103
06-21-06, 01:07 AM
i dont really have anything major against him, and two or three years ago i would be much more interested in him...but his defense is very bad, and he's not the same hitter he was...he could be a useful player but he just sort of illicts a "ehhhh" from me

parkerstrong
06-21-06, 05:17 AM
No thanks. The had the nerve to ask for Hughes straight up for him..... That leads me to believe that even after negotations they would still want too much.

AJW
06-21-06, 08:29 AM
No more Browns pls..bad memories

Do you mean Bobby Brown? Just kidding.;)

ShaneTravis
06-21-06, 08:53 AM
Reggie is allergic to getting on base this year. He is not much of an upgrade over anyone we have.

The Trenton Times writer this morning wrote how Bobby Abreu for Jaret Wright would make sense for both clubs.

I love all the speculation by writers as we near trading deadline each year. lol

CyYoung4Vazquez
06-21-06, 08:58 AM
Didn't they ask for Hughes when Allard Baird was still the GM? The new regime may ask for lesser tier players. In saying that, I'm not interested in Sanders. Zach Greinke is a bit of a headcase but I'd take a shot at him on the cheap. MacDougal or Affeldt or also interesting.

Spiker101
06-21-06, 09:07 AM
No thanks. The had the nerve to ask for Hughes straight up for him..... That leads me to believe that even after negotations they would still want too much.

At the end of the day, they'll trade him for a B- prospect, just to say $2.5 million. Still don't think he's worth that.

aeromac76
06-21-06, 11:55 AM
Maybe, but the next Hughes Kansas City asks for better be Howard.

Exactly, I would not even have the stone if I were a GM to ask for Hughes if I were offering Reggie Sanders. I just cannot stand being laughed at!!
:)

aeromac76
06-21-06, 11:56 AM
Reggie is allergic to getting on base this year. He is not much of an upgrade over anyone we have.

The Trenton Times writer this morning wrote how Bobby Abreu for Jaret Wright would make sense for both clubs.

I love all the speculation by writers as we near trading deadline each year. lol
Count me in on that deal..

DJ27
06-21-06, 11:59 AM

Done deal if it were my choice. Let Villone have a starting spot?

ShaneTravis
06-21-06, 12:02 PM
Count me in on that deal..

Yeah right? I read that and was laughing 1/3 of the way in. If Jaret Wright landed Abreu....I would be drinking immediately. The good stuff, not boxed wine.
He does make a half way decent case for himself, I have never heard of the writer though.

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eckel/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/115086296345180.xml&coll=5

DJ27
06-21-06, 12:05 PM
Yeah right? I read that and was laughing 1/3 of the way in. If Jaret Wright landed Abreu....I would be drinking immediately. The good stuff, not boxed wine.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boxed wine rules!!!

ShaneTravis
06-21-06, 12:05 PM
Done deal if it were my choice. Let Villone have a starting spot?

The minor league guys on the forum would give better insight on how Rasner, White, DeSalvo...would fit the bill. Heck, I would claim Johnson off of waivers to fill in for Wright till someone came along. Granted, I am a huge Bobby fan even with that huge contract and I think he would fit in seamlessly here in NY.

In Mo I Trust
06-21-06, 12:09 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

justtxyank
06-21-06, 12:18 PM
Actually the Trenton Times article is about getting Victorino playing time and explains why it's not likey the Phils can move Abreu to accomplish that. He states that the Yankees just don't want to give up anything for Abreu due to his pricetag. He throws Wright out there as a hypothetical type of player who the Yankees would be willing to move. Nowhere does he say that it is a good deal.

gold23
06-21-06, 12:35 PM
I really think the Gathwright deal is a bad one for both clubs. First, from TB standpoint- I was SHOCKED they turned down Olsen for Gathright in spring training. Just a boneheaded thing to do. a 22-year old pitcher who was already ML-ready? Dumb.

As for the Royals, why would they give up a semi-decent prospect for a bad baseball player? At his absolute best, Gathright is going to be a decent fielding CF who can steal tons of bases without producing ANY power or ability to get on base all that well.

Euclis
06-21-06, 12:43 PM
I really think the Gathwright deal is a bad one for both clubs. First, from TB standpoint- I was SHOCKED they turned down Olsen for Gathright in spring training. Just a boneheaded thing to do. a 22-year old pitcher who was already ML-ready? Dumb.

As for the Royals, why would they give up a semi-decent prospect for a bad baseball player? At his absolute best, Gathright is going to be a decent fielding CF who can steal tons of bases without producing ANY power or ability to get on base all that well.

At his absolute best, Gathright would be a base stealing machine who can get on base at a pretty good clip. His career obp in the minors was .390, and in half a season in AAA last year, his line was .305/.388/.407. He has no power at all, but the if he can get his obp to .375, he will be a useful offensive player, as well as a very good outfielder.

M&M61
06-21-06, 01:05 PM
Sori came into tonight with a .349 on-base and went two for five tonight, so it's at .350 at least, and that's slightly above average. I would never have thought it possible. But I agree with you, Soriano isn't a fit with the Yanks. He's not a good enough a second baseman defensively and we have a very solid leftfielder for the longterm. And he would cost WAY too much when the chances are probably 50-50 Matsui will be back in mid-August.

You have to be aware that Matsui will be back and is signed long term. So, any moves to a lt fielder would have to be a temporary solution. Damon is esconed in center, so that leaves only rt field. By the process of elimination, if it's for long term it will have to be a rt fielder, short term lf. So remember this when thinking and discussing players .

aeromac76
06-21-06, 01:46 PM
He does make a half way decent case for himself, I have never heard of the writer though.

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/eckel/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/115086296345180.xml&coll=5

My friend, if that happens, drink whatever you want, cause I'll be buying!!

gold23
06-21-06, 02:00 PM
At his absolute best, Gathright would be a base stealing machine who can get on base at a pretty good clip. His career obp in the minors was .390, and in half a season in AAA last year, his line was .305/.388/.407. He has no power at all, but the if he can get his obp to .375, he will be a useful offensive player, as well as a very good outfielder.

Maybe......he is the rare player that has a much easier time with breaking pitches than good fastballs. He can be easily overpowered. Very, very fast- but he doesn't get consistent jumps on balls in the OF and doesn't have an arm. He will be a good OF simply because he can outrun balls, but I don't think he'll ever be excellent.

At his best, I do think you used the right term- useful.

TheBamTino24
06-23-06, 07:34 AM
No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please. No Reggie Sanders, please.

Johnny O
06-23-06, 08:35 AM

He's also a Rutgers grad and Brooklyn born.

DontHateOnNumber2
06-23-06, 08:39 AM
I hope it doesn't free him up for us. We already have an aging outfielder playing for us (no offense Bern) and besides, his splits aren't all that great .255 .306 .465. We could do without him especially if it means giving up prospects that could be of use to us or used in a package for someone we would want to get. Like a pitcher.