PDA

View Full Version : Yankees looking at Hidalgo

RIYankeeFan
05-20-06, 08:27 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spynotes204749361may20,0,6736568.story?coll=ny-sports-print

Desperate for outfield help, the Yankees have been talking with free agent Richard Hidalgo and plan to work him out shortly at their Tampa complex. "Richard is definitely intrigued," Chris Leibel, one of Hidalgo's representatives, said Friday.

Hidalgo, 30, signed a minor-league deal with the Orioles on Feb. 26 but spent just four days in camp before leaving to tend to his ill wife. He never returned, realizing that his chances of playing every day were not good, and was released March 7.

Once regarded as a future star, former Met Hidalgo played in 88 games for the Rangers last season, hitting .221 with 16 homers and 43 RBIs. If the Yankees like what they see at the workout, they will sign Hidalgo to a minor-league contract and give him at-bats at Triple-A Columbus.

ManilaYankee
05-20-06, 08:31 AM
Oh no... How about KT again? :(

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-06, 08:31 AM
Good move.

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-06, 08:32 AM
Oh no... How about KT again? :(

KT would be my first choice, but I rather have Hidalgo than Reese.

tdel23
05-20-06, 08:35 AM
KT would be my first choice, but I rather have Hidalgo than Reese.

doesn't Thompson have a hamstring problem now? I thought that is why he wasn't called up.

noneckwilliams
I have no problem with them trying various FA's.

I do not want to trade for an OFer and I don't think Cash will.

Kluivert4Ever
So who will be this yearīs "Small" but for the outfield?

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-06, 08:36 AM
doesn't Thompson have a hamstring problem now? I thought that is why he wasn't called up.

I havenīt heard anything about that but right now I would be surprised to hear that a Yankee player is NOT injured.

RIYankeeFan
05-20-06, 08:38 AM
How good is he in the field? Better than Sheffield? I remember he put up good numbers a few years ago, but then hit all sorts of slumps after. He can probably platoon in RF/LF and bat DH if needed. He may not be the best option, but I'll take what we can get.

tdel23
05-20-06, 08:42 AM
I havenīt heard anything about that but right now I would be surprised to hear that a Yankee player is NOT injured.

very weird I can't find it on the online edition but it today's daily news that had a little blurb about it..."The Yanks purchased the contract of 28 year old Mitch Jones from Columbus because Clippers outfielder Kevin Thompson also currently is nursing a hamstring injury".

cptcarl
05-20-06, 09:03 AM
How good is he in the field? Better than Sheffield? I remember he put up good numbers a few years ago, but then hit all sorts of slumps after. He can probably platoon in RF/LF and bat DH if needed. He may not be the best option, but I'll take what we can get.

Dustin Mohr is probably going to be DFA'd soon (when Crisp returns), and he's much better than this year's numbers (in very limited playing time) would suggest.

cmaff05
05-20-06, 09:15 AM
Looking at his stats, other than his underwhelming BA, he hit a ton of homeruns in a limited amount of time..even with this crippled lineup, but him in the lineup and he'll drive in some RBIs hopefully..

The only thing that concerns me is that he has stated before that he doesn't want to be a fourth outfielder...when Sheff comes back he probably will be unless the Yanks push Melky to the bench...which they better not.

apalradio
05-20-06, 09:22 AM
Great. Now we're trying to cobble together a championship caliber team from the scrap heap. Until we can fill these holes from our own farm system, we are going to be in trouble. That will take a few years to accomplish, assuming that the organizational philosophy would ever change to allow for it, which is not something I'm putting my money on.

buntsalot2
05-20-06, 09:44 AM
geez... next will be Danny Tartabull? Bam Bam?:D Paris Hilton?:mad: Mattingly?:eek:

ericns1
I think there is now a move to try and rebuild the fram system as Cash seems in charge for now - don't forget the Boss is ceding move authority to Swindal as he gets older and Swindal is more of a hands off guy

destiNY
Great. Now we're trying to cobble together a championship caliber team from the scrap heap. Until we can fill these holes from our own farm system, we are going to be in trouble. That will take a few years to accomplish, assuming that the organizational philosophy would ever change to allow for it, which is not something I'm putting my money on.

What would you rather them do? Trade our best prospects for over-paid OFers? Seriously this is the route we need to go:

DL:
Pavano
Matsui
Sheffield
Crosby

Clearly banged up:
Posada
Damon
Bernie
Kevin Thompson
Farnsworth

Hildago is only 30 (I was really surprised by that), and I liked the Terrance long signing. This team is in injury shambles and we will be lucky to be in 2nd place by the all star break unless we start taking chances on cheap players.

I really don't want to have to trade duncan, hughes, clippard or anyone else for soriano, hunter/stewart, or Abreu, and that is our only option if we don't take chances on guys like Hildago and Long.

destiNY
05-20-06, 09:48 AM
Looking at his stats, other than his underwhelming BA, he hit a ton of homeruns in a limited amount of time..even with this crippled lineup, but him in the lineup and he'll drive in some RBIs hopefully..

The only thing that concerns me is that he has stated before that he doesn't want to be a fourth outfielder...when Sheff comes back he probably will be unless the Yanks push Melky to the bench...which they better not.

Honestly, I don't know how healthy damon is. After Sheff DH's for a few games I think we'll continue to see Damon DHing Melky getting some time in center b/c Damon is really hurting out there with his foot.

JeffWeaverFan
05-20-06, 09:48 AM
The guy hasn't been able to hit in the last couple of years but maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle. The one thing is that he plays fantastic defense.

hardrain
05-20-06, 09:53 AM
this is all so depressing... is it too early to drink?

destiNY
05-20-06, 10:10 AM
this is all so depressing... is it too early to drink?

Never!

I marvel in a year when this team is not devastated by injuries. It really makes me look back to 2003 and think how we really should have won it all. So frustrating.

apalradio
05-20-06, 10:11 AM
What would you rather them do? Trade our best prospects for over-paid OFers?

No, as my post indicates, that is exactly the opposite of what I'd like them to do. The reason we're even scouring the scrap heap now is because we've done all that damage to the farm system already. It's a problem, and there's no easy or fast way out.

ojo
05-20-06, 10:19 AM
is it football season yet?

Spiker101
05-20-06, 10:21 AM
I wanted Hidalgo in the off-season, so obviously this is good news for me, if it comes to pass. At worst, he's the perfect replacement for Bubba: can play all three outfield positions with slightly above average range and a well above average arm. And he's capable of putting up MVP offensive numbers, though it's been a long time since he's done that. Still, at age 30, he's got some potential.When, or I should say, if Sheffield comes back he'll allow Gary to DH until he's completely ready.

Steph19
05-20-06, 10:32 AM
Really good move, much better then Terrence Long. I really hope Hidalgo makes it. He's got some power, plays good defense in rightfield and supposedly has a cannon of an arm. (I think the Fielding Bible says its better then Ichiro, not sure if that's true or not, I haven't seen many of Hidalgo's throws.)

yanksconstantino24
05-20-06, 10:44 AM
Obviously, I haven't seen Hidalgo play everyday, but from what I've heard about him, he's got all the tools but is a very streaky hitter.

I think he's worth a shot. Even after Sheffield returns, this team could still use someone to DH. If Hidalgo hits well enough, he could DH, or possibly even Sheffield if he is okay with DHing.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-20-06, 11:01 AM
For his defense alone...

utopiapkwy
05-20-06, 11:03 AM

Well, we can sign him to plug the hole for now, and if he doesnt like his role when he comes back he is more than welcome to quit.

Panamaniac42
05-20-06, 11:15 AM
Well, we can sign him to plug the hole for now, and if he doesnt like his role when he comes back he is more than welcome to quit.

Exactly. Go back to the unemployment line if you want to get picky, Richard.

JDPNYY
05-20-06, 11:31 AM
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0317648/Ss/0317648/hidalgo_keyimage.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0317648

ManilaYankee
05-20-06, 11:35 AM
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0317648/Ss/0317648/hidalgo_keyimage.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0317648

I didn't know that Vigo plays baseball as well... :D:D:D

Davios
05-20-06, 11:39 AM
I really hate to bring this up again because hindsight is 20/20 but the Yankees should have seen that Sheffield even healthy would be a far greater injury concern then Vlad, along with being an inferior player both offensively and defensively.

mrbawm
05-20-06, 11:45 AM
Never!

I marvel in a year when this team is not devastated by injuries. It really makes me look back to 2003 and think how we really should have won it all. So frustrating.

You'll have to wait a long time to marvel. This team is built with senior citizens , little to no depth and no ready players to step in from the higher level minors.

Every year they're built like this, it's nothing new.

wileedog
05-20-06, 11:51 AM
I really hate to bring this up again because hindsight is 20/20 but the Yankees should have seen that Sheffield even healthy would be a far greater injury concern then Vlad, along with being an inferior player both offensively and defensively.

Meh, techinically Vlad was a health risk too with the back issue. That's more of a hindsight thing.

Not getting a legit RFer and making Sheff the full time DH this offseason was a bigger mistake IMO. Not that it would have prevented this injury, but covering for an injured DH is much easier than covering for a starting RFer.

yank4life2005
05-20-06, 05:59 PM
I think this is a low risk/high reward move for NY. If he impress scouts in Tampa and then goes to Columbus for a bit and does well then he could be someone that Torre can use to spot all 3 OF positions. He has a very good arm and some pop in his bat.

Just as long as he is in good shape and is 100% healthy.:gulp:

boog204
05-21-06, 10:19 AM
signing hidalgo would be a great move. the guy still has lots of talent. this isn't a scrap heap move in my opinion, this is a guy who could still be a very valuable player. worse case scenario, he's still miles better than bubba as a 4th outfielder and would provide a dangerous bat off the bench.

noneckwilliams
05-21-06, 10:22 AM

I was pissed about choosing Shef over Vlad, but you know Shef's been pretty damn productive. In addition he will be off the books after this season whereas Vlad would have required another 2 or 3 year committment and he's had injury issues.

Jace
05-21-06, 10:25 AM

Thats actually incorrect. I realize Sheffield was getting older, but he had not played less than 130 games in a season since 1996. He just was not an injury risk outside of age. The worry with Vlad was that he had had back problems the year before which had really hampered him (and if those had acted up badly he could possibly be out for entire seasons), and since Vlad was sure to get the longer term deal (minimum 5 years vs. 3 years for Gary Sheffield), Vlad was viewed as an equal or even worse injury risk as Sheffield.

Edit: In addition, this concern actually doesn't apply to this situation because Sheffield's injury was a freak one that could hurt anybody. He got tripped because the 1st baseman caught the ball in his way and he fell on his wrist. It had nothing to do with his age or his being "a far greater injury concern than Vlad"

montrealer
05-21-06, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=hardrain]this is all so depressing... is it too early to drink?[/QUOT

Come on...it`s never too early to drink.....Excuse me Miss can I have a double.;)
Even though we won yesterday...it was ugly.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
05-21-06, 11:11 PM
** bump **

"New York has also been watching outfielders Richard Hidalgo and Jason Romano work out in Tampa this weekend, and Cashman expects to sign both players to Minor League deals."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060521&content_id=1465395&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Further evidence that I think we can say goodbye to Matsui for 2006.

NYDCYankee
05-21-06, 11:13 PM
You may be right.

BigCheese
05-21-06, 11:15 PM
Wow, Hidalgo would be a great pickup for this team. His bat has more promise than Crosby's, that's for sure.

NYDCYankee
05-21-06, 11:34 PM
Wow, Hidalgo would be a great pickup for this team. His bat has more promise than Crosby's, that's for sure.

And he throws the ball hard.

Kluivert4Ever
05-22-06, 03:56 AM
And he throws the ball hard.

Maybe they sign him as our fifth starter?

SI Baseballman
05-22-06, 06:49 AM
If you can't beat em, join em. Seriously, has Hidalgo done anything since the 2004 Subway Series?

ChinMusic
05-22-06, 10:48 AM
How's his attitude?

Jace
05-22-06, 11:02 AM
If you can't beat em, join em. Seriously, has Hidalgo done anything since the 2004 Subway Series?

Seriously, its a minor league deal. As for Hidalgo, apparently he still wants to play professional baseball, go figure

ryanm1058123
05-22-06, 11:03 AM

Seriously, he's better than Bubba Crosby. Seriously, he's a better option than Bernie against righties

ShaneTravis
05-22-06, 11:34 AM
I looked high and low and could not find any of his stats on Espn,Foxsports, or Cbssportsline. He is not signed to a major league contract so he is not in their database.

From what I remember he had power against lefties, killer arm and had that amazing year in 2000.

Anyone have some numbers? Not to give any excuses for his 2005 line but the guy had a lingering wrist problem. I would bet it hindered his production. Be nice to see his 2003-2005 numbers for a more complete picture.

This is a good pickup even though it will probably take a month or so for him to get in baseball shape.

ShaneTravis
05-22-06, 11:34 AM

Seriously, how is Floyd these days?

Mark19
05-22-06, 12:26 PM
I think that if he were to be given a lot of playing time he could probably give us an average of around .230-240 with an OBP around .300 and slugging around .340ish.

NelsonMuntz
05-22-06, 12:42 PM
I looked high and low and could not find any of his stats on Espn,Foxsports, or Cbssportsline. He is not signed to a major league contract so he is not in their database.

From what I remember he had power against lefties, killer arm and had that amazing year in 2000.

Anyone have some numbers? Not to give any excuses for his 2005 line but the guy had a lingering wrist problem. I would bet it hindered his production. Be nice to see his 2003-2005 numbers for a more complete picture.

This is a good pickup even though it will probably take a month or so for him to get in baseball shape.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hidalri01.shtml

JeffWeaverFan
05-22-06, 12:45 PM
** bump **

"New York has also been watching outfielders Richard Hidalgo and Jason Romano work out in Tampa this weekend, and Cashman expects to sign both players to Minor League deals."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060521&content_id=1465395&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Further evidence that I think we can say goodbye to Matsui for 2006.
I don't think this points to Matsui not being able to come back at all. Cash knows it's going to take a long time for Matsui to come back so is signing as many outfielders to minor league deals as he can.

TacoBomber
05-22-06, 01:04 PM
How's his attitude?

That is my concern as well. He walked out on Baltimore because his prospective playing time wasn't looking very good. He might not be content to be a 4th outfielder. If he gets called up and doesn't endear himself immediatly to Joe, that is exactly what spot he'll be in.

ShaneTravis
05-22-06, 01:32 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hidalri01.shtml

Hey thanks for that.

ChinMusic
05-22-06, 01:40 PM
That is my concern as well. He walked out on Baltimore because his prospective playing time wasn't looking very good. He might not be content to be a 4th outfielder. If he gets called up and doesn't endear himself immediatly to Joe, that is exactly what spot he'll be in.

iirc, DIDNT HE HAVE SOME RUNINS WITH MANAGEMENT IN hOUSTON AS WELL?

gold23
05-22-06, 01:51 PM
Thats actually incorrect. I realize Sheffield was getting older, but he had not played less than 130 games in a season since 1996. He just was not an injury risk outside of age. The worry with Vlad was that he had had back problems the year before which had really hampered him (and if those had acted up badly he could possibly be out for entire seasons), and since Vlad was sure to get the longer term deal (minimum 5 years vs. 3 years for Gary Sheffield), Vlad was viewed as an equal or even worse injury risk as Sheffield.

Edit: In addition, this concern actually doesn't apply to this situation because Sheffield's injury was a freak one that could hurt anybody. He got tripped because the 1st baseman caught the ball in his way and he fell on his wrist. It had nothing to do with his age or his being "a far greater injury concern than Vlad"

The Yanks were unable to insure Vlad's back- they spoke with several agencies, and not one would touch it. He had a disk issue the year before, and with his violent swing it is something that could either sideline him for a long time or sap his power forever (see Mattingly, Don). Sheff was an amazingly productive player, didn't have any real concerns over his ability to play in a big market and perform, and could be had for much less in total $. Vlad is the better player, and would have been around likely for much longer, but it's not really a decision you can question that much. Sacrificing a little on the baseball side for a lot more security from the financial side- especially with that type of $- was the prudent decision.

NelsonMuntz
05-22-06, 01:52 PM
Hey thanks for that.
No problem amigo.

ShaneTravis
05-22-06, 02:05 PM

I could be wrong but I seem to think his wife was really sick. Could be one of the reasons he left. I find it hard to believe he would not have out hit Millar,Conine, Matos (sp). Maybe he felt he warranted a major league contract and decided to take his chances elsewhere.

I think he will be a productive player. Not much in the way of on base or avg. but his slugging will be way higher than Bernie or Bubba this year.

Spiker101
05-22-06, 02:19 PM
Hidalgo has had something of a difficult life. As mentioned his wife is seriously ill. He was shot in the forearm in November 2002 in a carjacking in Venezuela. His progress was slowed in the late '90s by a congenital kneecap defect that required surgery to repair.
But the bottom line is he's a hugely talented player who's had near MVP-seasons, followed by horrible offyears. Chances are he'll never be the player he could have been, but he's worth the gamble of a minor-league contract. And if it pays off, it could pay off big.

effdamets
05-22-06, 02:22 PM
I think Hidalgo bites!

I don't want a guy on my team that strikes out twice as much as he walks.

Next.

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 02:28 PM
But the bottom line is he's a hugely talented player who's had near MVP-seasons, followed by horrible offyears. Chances are he'll never be the player he could have been, but he's worth the gamble of a minor-league contract. And if it pays off, it could pay off big.

While I certainly agree that he is worth the gamble, he has had only ONE near-MVP season.

In 2000 he erupted for .314, 1.028 OPS, 44 hr, 118 runs, 122 rbi, and 13 sb.

Though he has great tools, you look at the career, and boy is that some statistical spike.

Hopefully he can contribute for us. Or at least one of these guys. You throw Hidalgo, Durazo, Pena, Long, whoever up against the wall...one of them's gotta stick.

Spiker101
05-22-06, 02:30 PM
I think Hidalgo bites!

I don't want a guy on my team that strikes out twice as much as he walks.

Next.

You mean like Cano? 6/16

effdamets
05-22-06, 02:35 PM
You mean like Cano? 6/16
The big difference is, Hidalgo is not the starting 2nd baseman.... And Cano is a flat out better hitter than Hidalgo ever was.

Allan
05-22-06, 02:47 PM

When Robbie can do this for a full season, your statement will mean something

effdamets
05-22-06, 02:47 PM
When Hidalgo repeats that, you'll have an arguement...

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 02:55 PM

What the f?

Where in my post did I bring up "Robbie"?

And so now Richard Hidalgo had one "Brady Anderson-esque" season in 2000 and he's still the sh*t? Just like the guy in high school who screwed the cheerleader in the teacher's lounge is still supposed to be 'the man' today?

Are you the Richard Hidalgo fan club president? Or is that you, Richard?

Go back to sleep...

effdamets
05-22-06, 02:58 PM
What the f?

And so now Richard Hidalgo had one "Brady Anderson-esque" season in 2000 and he's still the sh*t? Just like the guy in high school who screwed the cheerleader in the teacher's lounge is still supposed to be 'the man' today?

Go back to sleep...
Oh... He was talking to me. And I answered him, but thank you for contributing even more reason that Hidalgo is a stiff!

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:02 PM
Oh... He was talking to me. And I answered him, but thank you for contributing even more reason that Hidalgo is a stiff!

Ah ok...it would have been less confusing if he addressed you while quoting ME lol.

Anyway, yeah Richard is a stiff but desperate times = desperate measures and he's certainly worth a shot.

But yes that spike raises eyebrows...Brady Anderson...Adrian Beltre...and the like.

Good thing is we're not exactly giving him a fat contract for the long run or something - so don't worry about it too much even though you don't like him. He's just a band-aid. When you're hard up, you gotta go diggin through the sh*t to find some gems. Cash did it last year with Small and Chac, we'll see what he can pull out this year.

SINCE77 2
05-22-06, 03:03 PM
I was happy with Long/Pena/Durazo. Hidalgo offers prodigious power potential from the right side, but is generally an all or nothing type swinger. In the field, he's a definite Bernie upgrade. No harm here.

38Special
05-22-06, 03:04 PM
While I certainly agree that he is worth the gamble, he has had only ONE near-MVP season.

Though he has great tools, you look at the career, and boy is that some statistical spike.

Hopefully he can contribute for us. Or at least one of these guys. You throw Hidalgo, Durazo, Pena, Long, whoever up against the wall...one of them's gotta stick.

2003: .309/.385/.572 :confused:

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:09 PM
2003: .309/.385/.572 :confused:

Ok...good year...but really..."Near MVP" :confused:

Spiker101
05-22-06, 03:11 PM
The big difference is, Hidalgo is not the starting 2nd baseman.... And Cano is a flat out better hitter than Hidalgo ever was.

That's just silly. Cano doesn't have a quarter of the power that Hidalgo has/had. Hidalgo has a career on-base of .345, which is very definition of average. I still have grave doubts that Cano will ever be even average in that category.

dabomb2045
05-22-06, 03:11 PM
I like the signing. No risk involved, with some upside. At the very least the guy will bring more to the table then Bernie and Crosby

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:16 PM
That's just silly. Cano doesn't have a quarter of the power that Hidalgo has/had. Hidalgo has a career on-base of .345, which is very definition of average. I still have grave doubts that Cano will ever be even average in that category.

Outside of the fluke, Hidalgo's career high was 28. Still only 23 years old, we don't know yes/no if Cano will come close to 28 HR's at some point in his career. So I can't agree with the unqualifiable "Cano doesn't have a quarter of [Hidalgo's] power] statement.

Anyway, I can't believe this benign thread has taken such a crazy turn that we're now juxtaposing the talents of Richard Hidalgo and Robinson Cano.

You gave us the details of his supposed hard-knock life (he's made $35 million in his career by the way), then someone doesn't like Hidalgo and you take a shot at Cano. How can you compare one year of a 23-year-old 2b to the MLB track record of a 31-year-old outfielder? If Hidalgo is one of your favorite all-time players that's great but really why was Cano dragged into this?

edited

Spiker101
05-22-06, 03:17 PM

Two actually, as has been noted above. But you're right offensively he has been very erratic. He's had three seasons with OPS's of above .800, which is decent. One off-season might be blamed on the gunshot wound. But it's true he has struggled each of the last two seasons.
Acquiring him is undoubtedly a shot in the dark. Which is what the Yanks are reduced to at the moment when it comes to the outfield.

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:22 PM
Two actually, as has been noted above. But you're right offensively he has been very erratic. He's had three seasons with OPS's of above .800, which is decent. One off-season might be blamed on the gunshot wound. But it's true he has struggled each of the last two seasons.
Acquiring him is undoubtedly a shot in the dark. Which is what the Yanks are reduced to at the moment when it comes to the outfield.

Two near-MVP years? Edit: I'll concede that in 2003 he was productive but I don't consider it a near MVP year. Hitting 28 hr's and knocking in 88 runs to help your team finish 2nd in the NL Central with no playoffs just doesn't do it for me.

The sad part of all this is that I'm actually in agreement that this is a good signing and it's worth a shot. Why the knock on Cano, for no other reason than 1 person in this thread saying he didn't like Hidalgo?

Kluivert4Ever
05-22-06, 03:22 PM
It is sad that it has taken this many injuries for us to try and upgrade our bench, something that should have been done in the off-season.

Spiker101
05-22-06, 03:24 PM
Yep yep, it's amazing.

FYI Ken Caminiti was with the Stros from 99 to 2000 (Hidalgo's magical season). Now that doesn't mean a damn thing. I'm just saying...you start looking for reasons for something that is tough to explain...

But, and I was just reading the Beltre thread that's goin on, at least we have no real commitment to Hidalgo. I'm def. in favor of giving him a shot.

You're not raising the steroid bogeyman are you? The very erratic nature of his numbers would suggest he's not on steroids. His OPS+ in 2003, long after Caminiti was gone, was 142, with 28 homers in a little more than 500 ABs. That's not that long ago. He'll be 31 in late June, which is roughly the same age as Jeter, ARod, Matsui and Damon. It's quite possible he'll recover enough of his former glory to be useful and there's nothing lost if he can't.

38Special
05-22-06, 03:26 PM
Hidalgo is really slump prone, bringing up steroids isnt prudant

Spiker101
05-22-06, 03:29 PM
Two near-MVP years? Sorry, I'm looking at his career and the only one that comes close is 2000. Please enlighten me.

The sad part of all this is that I'm actually in agreement that this is a good signing and it's worth a shot. Why did you have to start knocking Cano, for no other reason than 1 person in this thread saying he didn't like Hidalgo?

His OPS+ in 2000 was 147. In 2003 it was 142. He ranked eighth in the NL in unadjusted OPS in both years.

dabomb2045
05-22-06, 03:29 PM
It is sad that it has taken this many injuries for us to try and upgrade our bench, something that should have been done in the off-season.

This is what happens when loyalty and sentimentality (resigning Bernie) ranks over trying to improve the team.

Spiker101
05-22-06, 03:31 PM
The sad part of all this is that I'm actually in agreement that this is a good signing and it's worth a shot. Why did you have to start knocking Cano, for no other reason than 1 person in this thread saying he didn't like Hidalgo?

I wasn't knocking Cano. I was knocking the idea that K/BB ratios are all that important. I like Cano's future because I think if he can ever get his head right in the field on a consistent basis, he's going to be a terrific all-round second baseman. Probably an all-star or close to it.

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:36 PM
Hidalgo is really slump prone, bringing up steroids isnt prudant

I realize that and that's why I edited it...like I said...just the nature of the era, you start grasping for explanations just like people are in the Beltre thread.

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:38 PM
His OPS+ in 2000 was 147. In 2003 it was 142. He ranked eighth in the NL in unadjusted OPS in both years.

Right. I did concede that that was a very productive year, so I apologize for touting his 2000 as a ridiculous spike. Like I said though...knocking 28 HR 88 rbi for a team that missed the playoffs is just not near-MVP, no matter how you slice it, yes?

Panamaniac42
05-22-06, 03:41 PM
I wasn't knocking Cano. I was knocking the idea that K/BB ratios are all that important. I like Cano's future because I think if he can ever get his head right in the field on a consistent basis, he's going to be a terrific all-round second baseman. Probably an all-star or close to it.

Okay cool.

Bottom line...I'm on board with Hidalgo and I hope he's this year's Small. It's difficult to believe that not even one team gave him a chance this year...and for him and Durazo to be just sitting there hopefully turns out to be a stroke of good luck for us.

Gotta run, take care all.

RIYankee23
05-22-06, 03:42 PM
Any word if Cash has officially signed Hidalgo yet?

Spiker101
05-22-06, 03:45 PM
Like I said though...knocking 28 HR 88 rbi for a team that missed the playoffs is just not near-MVP, no matter how you slice it, yes?

He finished 20th in the balloting in '00 and 18th in '03. But if you look at the voting, a lot of guys with worst numbers finished ahead of him. It's the team thing and that's an on-going controversy we don't need to get into.
I probably should have said he was among the top 10 offensive players in the NL in those two years and I think I could justify that.

Allan
05-22-06, 04:56 PM
What the f?

Go back to sleep...
When all else fails, try rudeness. My post, in which I quoted you, was in direct response to effdamets ( I thought that was obvious given the chronological order of the posts).

But, because you sense a challange to your viewpoint, you accuse me of being Hidalgo's fan club president and then dismiss me by telling me to go back to sleep. That's really mature. I'll keep that in mind anytime I feel like responding to a post of yours in the future.

Let me guess, Type A personality?

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
05-23-06, 07:59 AM
Apparently the Yankees did sign Hidalgo, but kept it on the downlow:

"Former Astro Richard Hidalgo went 1-for-3, including a two-run homer in his first at-bat, in his first extended spring training game. He could join Class AAA Columbus later this month."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/3881393.html

ShaneTravis
05-23-06, 10:56 AM
Apparently the Yankees did sign Hidalgo, but kept it on the downlow:

"Former Astro Richard Hidalgo went 1-for-3, including a two-run homer in his first at-bat, in his first extended spring training game. He could join Class AAA Columbus later this month."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/3881393.html

Great. That really flew under the radar. I have not seen that in any of the big papers here in NYC.

This is a very good signing and will shore up the outfield defense at the very least.

Hitman23
05-23-06, 11:16 AM
I am in awe of the fact that we are so up in arms over signing 2 guys with potential and nothing to lose. Seriously, nothing. This amazes me, you people are incredible. The team is reacting to a bad situation and everything is getting mocked. We're not going after the highest price superstar to compensate, we're going within our system, and also getting role players to hopefully fill roles until we get our stars back.

Unf*ckinbelievable.

Rich
05-23-06, 11:17 AM
I am in awe of the fact that we are so up in arms over signing 2 guys with potential and nothing to lose. Seriously, nothing. This amazes me, you people are incredible.

You're not including Long, right?

Hitman23
05-23-06, 11:18 AM
You're not including Long, right?No I'm talking about Hidalgo and Durazo.

brosiusbuddy
05-23-06, 11:20 AM
You're not including Long, right?

Since when has Long become such a disaster? I don't have any of his numbers in front of me, but as far as being a solid veteran who can contribute in place of our missing stars, Long is a smart acquisition.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-23-06, 11:25 AM
Since when has Long become such a disaster? I don't have any of his numbers in front of me, but as far as being a solid veteran who can contribute in place of our missing stars, Long is a smart acquisition.

He has had 3 seasons where his OPS+ was 100, 101, 102. And has had seasons of 79, 83, 87. That puts him overall with an OPS+ of 91, which really isn't good considering he is a poor defender to boot...

Rich
05-23-06, 11:26 AM

The moment he takes one AB away from Bernie, Melky, or Bubba.

Long is below average offensively and defensively.

Hitman, I'm fine with Durazo and Hidalgo.

Hitman23
05-23-06, 11:29 AM
Hitman, I'm fine with Durazo and Hidalgo.I know many people are, I just don't understand the ones who are so opposed. Pointing out potential concerns is fine, but to be so dead set against them just confuses the hell out of me.

Kluivert4Ever
05-23-06, 11:47 AM
I would go as far to say that Hidalgo and Durazo are excellent pickups because they fill a need, we need outfield help and we also need a big bat of the bench.

These two fill those needs.

NYDCYankee
05-23-06, 10:53 PM
Durazo will be better than Sierra

DrNick
05-23-06, 10:56 PM
Durazo will be better than Sierra

Somewhere Sierra Mist sheds a tear

MassNYYfan
05-23-06, 11:03 PM
Somewhere Sierra Mist sheds a tear

But Durazo Mist is overjoyed.

So it evens out.

Steph19
05-23-06, 11:19 PM
But Durazo Mist is overjoyed.

So it evens out.

I really wish that was my username right about now.

ShaneTravis
05-23-06, 11:22 PM
Hidalgo will be better than Long.

Yeah, I am really going out on a limb.

NYDCYankee
05-23-06, 11:27 PM
HidalgoMist sounds like a delicious drink. Like something from the Rocky Mountians or something.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
05-23-06, 11:30 PM
by the way, Jason Romano was also signed as well.

"Former major-league OF Richard Hidalgo went 1-for-3, including a two-run homer in his first at-bat, in his first extended spring training game. A second former big-league outfielder, Jason Romano, went 2-for-2 with a triple and two walks. Both could join Columbus later this month."

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/SPORTS01/605230350/1011

So let's see, since Matsui went down with his injury, the Yankees have signed:

Jason Conti, Rob Stratton, Terrence Long, Erubiel Durazo, Richard Hidalgo, and now Jason Romano. Kinda looks like a situation where they are going to keep rolling people out there and hope that one or two can stick and contribute. I still say that Matsui is out for the year and the Yankees will try to find someone from that outfield group to keep things in order out in left field (my bet is Hidalgo becomes that guy) and Durazo gets himself together to DH and regroup some of the lefty pop that was lost from Matsui. Honestly, if this keeps Cashman from trading off prospects in order to get someone here for a few months, I"m fine with this scrap heap picking.

ShaneTravis
05-24-06, 12:02 AM
by the way, Jason Romano was also signed as well.

For the life of me I can't place the name.

Jason Romano? Nope, nothing.

Good?

dabomb2045
05-24-06, 12:03 AM
For the life of me I can't place the name.

Jason Romano? Nope, nothing.

Good?

Yeah, who the hell is Jason Romano??

Anyways...how much longer before Hidalgo and Durazo start playing in Columbus??

yankees27
05-24-06, 12:06 AM

http://baseballreference.com/r/romanja01.shtml

ShaneTravis
05-24-06, 12:06 AM

Watching Long the last 2 days I would say how about now?

ShaneTravis
05-24-06, 12:07 AM
http://baseballreference.com/r/romanja01.shtml

Yikes. Thanks 27, I think.

NYDCYankee
05-24-06, 05:08 AM
I wonder how much time Hidalgo might need?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-30-06, 10:51 AM
Any updates on Hidalgo? I'd much rather see him in the outfield and at the plate than Dye or Bernie...

SINCE77 2
05-30-06, 10:58 AM
I find it odd that for all of Hidalgo's talent no one wanted him. Gotta be something to that.

Steph19
05-30-06, 11:01 AM
PinstipesPlus has a small blurb about him in their Extended Spring Training report.
http://yankees.scout.com/2/535228.html

It's a pay article so I don't want to release too much but he doesn't look great so far. "Sink or swim at the plate" and "he seemed a lot heavier then in years past."

ShaneTravis
05-30-06, 11:06 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks0531,0,4972989.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Notes & quotes: Count out Richard Hidalgo and Jason Romano as potential outfield options. Both former major-leaguers no longer are working out in Tampa. "We've decided to pull the plug on that," general manager Brian Cashman said.

That was quick.

38Special
05-30-06, 11:08 PM
Hidalgo was supposedly reallllllly out of shape, like he ate some of his kids

MassNYYfan
05-30-06, 11:13 PM
First good news KT's heard all year. heh.

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
05-30-06, 11:22 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks0531,0,4972989.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

That was quick.

They were always there as insurance for Melky if he faltered in his shot at the bigs like he did last year. When Melky proved himself, along with Bubba coming back soon, then Hidalgo and Romano became redundant. This is as much a credit to Melky as it is an indictment for what Hidalgo and Romano didn't do to keep the experiment going.

Rich
05-30-06, 11:24 PM
They were always there as insurance for Melky if he faltered in his shot at the bigs like he did last year. When Melky proved himself, along with Bubba coming back soon, then Hidalgo and Romano became redundant. This is as much a credit to Melky as it is an indictment for what Hidalgo and Romano didn't do to keep the experiment going.

Who's insurance for Long?

hellonewman
05-30-06, 11:26 PM
Runelvys Hernandez disease.

SINCE77 2
05-30-06, 11:27 PM

That was quick.

Finally the Yankees come to their senses.

dabomb2045
05-30-06, 11:28 PM
Crap....I was hoping Hidalgo would work out well. Anything to keep Crosby away...

SINCE77 2
05-30-06, 11:29 PM
Crap....I was hoping Hidalgo would work out well. Anything to keep Crosby away...

Long will do that .

Shaun4013
05-30-06, 11:38 PM
Thank god this experiment is over. No need for this hack.

RIYankee23
05-31-06, 02:23 PM
Guess that Hidalgo just isn't the same player w/out the Roids.