PDA

View Full Version : Some Love for Wright!

indianyanksfan
05-18-06, 07:44 PM
can we finally give the guy some love? he's pitched 4 solid games in a row.

hope he stays healthy and continues to do a good job.

:)

mrs.roy
05-18-06, 07:48 PM
I'll give him more love than Carl, for damn sure.
It ain't much.

indianyanksfan
05-18-06, 07:50 PM
that's not fair...he's not just pitching but is pitching well.

yankees27
05-18-06, 07:55 PM
He's done a hell of a job lately. Even though he hasn't been successful overall with the Yankees, I've been impressed with the way he's simply done what he's asked to do, with going to the pen, and given it his best effort. No complaints by him. Keep it up Jaret!

indianyanksfan
05-18-06, 07:57 PM
He's done a hell of a job lately. Even though he hasn't been successful overall with the Yankees, I've been impressed with the way he's simply done what he's asked to do, with going to the pen, and given it his best effort. Keep it up Jaret!

4 good starts in a row...

and he's gone into the 6th...

he's done a good job and given some consistency this month.

mrs.roy
05-18-06, 07:59 PM
Wright is 1-3 with a 4.94 ERA.
The rest of his line is =ly as impressive. ;)

He needs to improve a whole lot more.

scooterfan
05-18-06, 08:01 PM
4 good starts in a row...

and he's gone into the 6th...

he's done a good job and given some consistency this month.

This start was light years ahead of anything he did this year or last year

The numbers really don't show how good he was for six innings

He was throwing in the mid 90s low in the zone with command and control. This was the Wright we thought we got after 2004.

Put it this way - this is the first time he's pitched on turn. I'm sure he's still a little behind the other starters - so maybe not quite at 100% stamina or arm strength

With Chacon dinged up, Wright is huge for us

Now if Unit can only give us a solid game

indianyanksfan
05-18-06, 08:01 PM
Wright is 1-3 with a 4.94 ERA.
The rest of his line is =ly as impressive. ;)

He needs to improve a whole lot more.

most of the numbers are scewed by his first 2 appearances.

he's been very good over his last 4 starts.

you have to give him credit.

chacon also has a 5 era but prior to his last outing he has had 3-4 very good outings.

indianyanksfan
05-18-06, 08:03 PM
This start was light years ahead of anything he did this year or last year

The numbers really don't show how good he was for six innings

He was throwing in the mid 90s low in the zone with command and control. This was the Wright we thought we got after 2004.

Put it this way - this is the first time he's pitched on turn. I'm sure he's still a little behind the other starters - so maybe not quite at 100% stamina or arm strength

With Chacon dinged up, Wright is huge for us

Now if Unit can only give us a solid game

excellent points.

rjs9009
05-18-06, 08:04 PM
yes, nice work by wright. im hoping he keeps it up and proves me and a lot of other people wrong.

THEBOSS84
05-18-06, 08:12 PM
He gets no love from me....ever.
Come on guys, you totally knew he was due to give up a bomb any given minute, even if he looked great the previous minute.
Even those of you giving him credit, still definitely don't feel comfortable with him.
He is one of the worst signings in recent Yankee history (right next to the other oft injured pitcher, Mr. Carl Pavano).

cmaff05
05-18-06, 08:14 PM
I was down on Wright for his first few starts (as was probably everybody).. but boy, has he proved me wrong in his last 3 to 4 starts. He's pitching great, and today he pitched the best I've seen him this year..I think Jaret's biggest problem now is that he doesn't get enough run support during his starts..if we gave him a three run cushion, I have no doubt he would have came away with the win.

The Q Bomb
05-18-06, 08:15 PM
Not only did he pitch a good game but he made some big pitches at crucial points in the game - the pitcher's equivalent of a clutch hit, I guess. I am happy for Wright as he seems like a nice guy. I loved when he said, after his first win of the season, "We all want to win...."

I am even happier for The Yankees. They need Wright to be the pitcher he was for Atlanta two years ago. The injuries we've suffered this year are almost catastrophic and for all intents and purposes Pavano is not pitching this season. A rotation of Johnson, Mussina, Wang, Chacon, & Wright is it. These guys have to step up if this team has a chance of competing in the East.

yankees27
05-18-06, 08:16 PM
Come on guys, you totally knew he was due to give up a bomb any given minute, even if he looked great the previous minute.
Even those of you giving him credit, still definitely don't feel comfortable with him.
He is one of the worst signings in recent Yankee history (right next to the other oft injured pitcher, Mr. Carl Pavano).
You can't give some praise to a guy for whose last 3 starts have 6 IP 2 ER, 5 IP 2 ER, and 6 IP 3 ER. Part of how a team wins with injuries is having guys you don't expect to step up do well. Nobody expected this from and he very well may bomb in his next start. But he's given us three very solid starts in a row.

scooterfan
05-18-06, 08:19 PM
I don't mean to sound critical, but did any of Wright's critics WATCH today's game?

It was the best he's looked as a Yankee - last year and this year

AND - he's only had 4 starts. That puts a guy way behind the other starters

How can a pitcher have command and control when he pitches once every 10 days or so?

People just need to be reasonable here. Moose, Wright and Wang gave us outstanding starts

Chacon got bombed, but he was hurt. He probably was hurting during the Red Sox game as well after the Loretta liner

THEBOSS84
05-18-06, 08:21 PM
You can't give some praise to a guy for whose last 3 starts have 6 IP 2 ER, 5 IP 2 ER, and 6 IP 3 ER. Part of how a team wins with injuries is having guys you don't expect to step up do well. Nobody expected this from and he very well may bomb in his next start. But he's given us three very solid starts in a row.

The truth is, yeah, sure he pitched well today, and a few games prior to this...but can you honestly say that you didn't expect a disaster every inning he went out there?

All I am saying is, I don't think we will be able to count on this guy at all.
Watch him say tomorrow he hurt his shoulder today.
I would love to feel confident in a pitcher we have, but he is not one I feel confident with. And if we have to count on this guy in order to win the AL east, I would surrender the division now.

27IsNext
05-18-06, 08:26 PM
Like Wang, I wish he'd strike out more guys, but great performance nontheless.

NelsonMuntz
05-18-06, 08:27 PM
Well if nothing else, he's pitching better than our so-called "ace" right now.

WebsterMulligan
05-18-06, 08:30 PM
The truth is, yeah, sure he pitched well today, and a few games prior to this...but can you honestly say that you didn't expect a disaster every inning he went out there?

All I am saying is, I don't think we will be able to count on this guy at all.
Watch him say tomorrow he hurt his shoulder today.
I would love to feel confident in a pitcher we have, but he is not one I feel confident with. And if we have to count on this guy in order to win the AL east, I would surrender the division now.

Do you have any confidence when RJ is pitching?

Wright is piching alot better than RJ is right now and has put together four decent outings. I hope he continues to get stronger, with each start.

THEBOSS84
05-18-06, 08:34 PM
Do you have any confidence when RJ is pitching?

Wright is piching alot better than RJ is right now and has put together four decent outings. I hope he continues to get stronger, with each start.

Well of course RJ is pitching like crap, but I still think he can turn it on, on any given start. He has quite a track record (although he is pushing 43).
Wright on the other hand has NO track record worth noting, and aside from his 2 decent years in the majors, he has been injured or horrific or both.

WebsterMulligan
05-18-06, 08:46 PM
Well of course RJ is pitching like crap, but I still think he can turn it on, on any given start. He has quite a track record (although he is pushing 43).
Wright on the other hand has NO track record worth noting, and aside from his 2 decent years in the majors, he has been injured or horrific or both.

RJ is no longer the same pitcher who put up those HOF numbers. Given his age and the way he's looked of late, I believe he is nearing the end of the line.

yankeebot
05-18-06, 08:49 PM
Good grief. Of course he could implode at any minute but he is pitching well so far and deserves some appreciation for it. No one is saying he is our new ace or implying that he will keep this up all season. Just giving a little recognition for what he has done so far. Why does every thread here have to turn so negative so quickly?

THEBOSS84
05-18-06, 09:04 PM
I didn't mean to turn this into a negative thread.
I was just being realistic - it's funny how this thread is calling for us to give love to Wright....after a game he got the loss in!

I don't want to hear anything about run support, it's his job to make sure he lets up less runs than his team has scored.

IronCaballo4
05-18-06, 09:05 PM
I must say he's been a pleasant surprise

swityak11
05-18-06, 09:14 PM
While a 3.64 ERA the past 3 games isn't exactly mind blowing, I'll give him credit for putting together a few solid outings, something Old Man Johnson can't even do.

Well done there.

Yankees13
05-18-06, 09:16 PM

Hopefully he can contuine to be a solid back of the rotation guy, because Pavano isn't gonna be back anytime soon. Anyway I'm of the opinion that Wright is a better pitcher than Pavano anyway.

AMYanks
05-18-06, 09:20 PM
He's done a nice job recently, and today, up until the top of the 7th, he looked tremendous.

Donnie's Moustache
05-18-06, 09:34 PM

I agree with all you said here, especially if it helps get him traded. Especially for a decent/solid outfielder or even a prospect.

yanksphan
05-18-06, 09:35 PM
Mattpat? Anyone seen Mattpat?

;)

metalboy15
05-18-06, 09:51 PM
gotta give him some love, he threw in the 94-95 range today, hitting his spots, very well!, not spectacular but he has done his job.

Cappy
05-18-06, 10:08 PM
Since when does your (or my, or anyone, really) having confidence in a pitcher have anything to do with recognition of decent outings?

And I will say that I didn't expect a disaster every inning... mostly because I think that would be a horrible way to have to go through a baseball game (never mind what that would seem to imply for the outlook on the rest of my life).

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up anyone's ass here... I guess making myself miserable about things I have no control over just ain't my bag.

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
05-18-06, 10:09 PM
I've been noticing Wright's improvement the last 4 times he's started. He got no run support today, another error from Cano and the final score might have been closer had Torre not brought in Tanyon Erickson.

Right now, IMO, our top pitchers line up this way: Mussina, Wang, Wright, Chacon and Gopher Ball Johnson. Pavano is always injured and doesn't look like he'll ever get to pitch as a Yankee again. So if Johnson comes around along with Dotel, I think we'll be in good shape if Wright can keep it up.

obsessedyankeefan
05-18-06, 10:11 PM
I was very hard on Wright earlier this year, but I gotta give him some credit here. He's had 3 solid starts in a row, and has been doing everything expected of a 5th starter: keeping his team in the game. Major props to Wright and keep it up!

GreenGrass
05-18-06, 10:49 PM
I've been noticing Wright's improvement the last 4 times he's started. He got no run support today, another error from Cano and the final score might have been closer had Torre not brought in Tanyon Erickson.

Right now, IMO, our top pitchers line up this way: Mussina, Wang, Wright, Chacon and Gopher Ball Johnson. Pavano is always injured and doesn't look like he'll ever get to pitch as a Yankee again. So if Johnson comes around along with Dotel, I think we'll be in good shape if Wright can keep it up.
:2thumbs::roflmao::roflmao:

xiemark
05-19-06, 12:03 AM
Wright is right.
Nice job! Go! Go! Wright!

m_sisca
05-19-06, 12:06 AM
wright pitched great today....mucho props and hope he keeps it up.

surge511
05-19-06, 12:08 AM
Thank god Wright is putting in solid performances - with Pavano being out even longer, it looks like Wright will be the #5 starter for a good while longer. Unless Clemens or another big name comes aboard sometime in the middle of the season, Wright could be the #5 starter for the whole season, depending on the seriousness of Pavano's injury.

surge511
05-19-06, 12:11 AM

There has to be a better option in the minor leagues besides Erickson. He is absolutely awful - just as bad as Sturtze. Matt Smith should be brought up, at least we could see what we have in him - there is no way he is worse than Sturtze or Erickson. Anyway, when Dotel comes back, Erickson is gone, so I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference.

How far away is Dotel, btw?

Rich
05-19-06, 12:12 AM
I am going to give Torre credit.

He stuck with Wright, although partially out of necessity, and his patience is paying off.

Wright has always shown the fortitude that Pavano hasn't, not letting that streak of being hit by batted balls deter him, but now he is becoming a power pitcher again, and is doing so with command.

Guidry supposedly got him to go back to throwing his fastball with more velocity, so he deserves credit too.

shotgun_sam
05-19-06, 12:27 AM
Compared to Johnson and our other alleged starter Pavano....yeah he gets alot o' love

ManilaYankee
05-19-06, 02:58 AM
I hope Jaret keeps it Wright all the time...

Go Jaret! Show them the bulldog that you are...

:NY: :NY: :NY:

guidry36
05-19-06, 04:25 AM
Wright's last 2 starts have been impressive.....he's had 3 good starts in 4 appearances (as a SP). Jaret Wright is a 6-inning pitcher (on his good days). Even with a low pitch count, I would have preferred to see a reliever brought in to start the 7th. Bringing Erickson, who has control problems, into a close game?? Scary.

guidry36
05-19-06, 04:25 AM
Wright's last 2 starts have been impressive.....he's had 3 good starts in 4 appearances (as a SP). Jaret Wright is a 6-inning pitcher (on his good days). Even with a low pitch count, I would have preferred to see a reliever brought in to start the 7th. Bringing Erickson, who has control problems, into a close game?? Scary.

mrmike98
05-19-06, 08:53 AM
I will say this about Wright. He's got the head and heart to pitch in New York.

If he can maintain his health then The Yankees have a capable back of rotation man.

I'm looking forward to his next start.

silverdsl
05-19-06, 08:58 AM
I admit that I didn't expect Wright to pitch very well this season. But the past few starts he's proven me wrong. He's doing exactly what the team needs him to do and I hope he can keep it up!

effdamets
05-19-06, 09:00 AM
I admit that I didn't expect Wright to pitch very well this season. But the past few starts he's proven me wrong. He's doing exactly what the team needs him to do and I hope he can keep it up!
Yeah me too. Pleasant surprise. As a matter of fact, his performances may warrant a bump up in the rotation from the 5th spot.... Well, let's say, I wouldn't be angry if he got bumped up.

flymick24
05-19-06, 09:01 AM
I am going to give Torre credit.

He stuck with Wright, although partially out of necessity, and his patience is paying off.

Wright has always shown the fortitude that Pavano hasn't, not letting that streak of being hit by batted balls deter him, but now he is becoming a power pitcher again, and is doing so with command.

Guidry supposedly got him to go back to throwing his fastball with more velocity, so he deserves credit too.

i read somewhere that wright has been scared to throw his fastball at full strength due to his shoulder issues, but guidry told him to not worry about injury and just go after hitters with his best heat... and it seems to be paying off so far.

Arod for President
05-19-06, 09:13 AM
Isnt it sad that I thought you meant David Wright before i thought of Jarred Wright!.. Thats how tired I am of this guy.. even if he given us 4 kinda good games

YankeePride1967
05-19-06, 09:35 AM
never thought I'd be saying this, but he has been pitching well of late.

ppa79
05-19-06, 10:09 AM
Wright is pitching good as of late, good for him.

DJ27
05-19-06, 10:28 AM
I was very hard on Wright earlier this year, but I gotta give him some credit here. He's had 3 solid starts in a row, and has been doing everything expected of a 5th starter: keeping his team in the game. Major props to Wright and keep it up!

I am guilty of the same thing. I gotta give him some "props" too. Hopefully he stays consistent and healthy. His heart and toughness are about 1,000% better than that other pitcher we signed with him. Keep it up Jamie!

the_coach
05-19-06, 10:32 AM
Admittedly I was totally against this signing...but Wright has shown me something so far this year. maybe it won't be a total disaster (ala Pavano).

freebubba
05-19-06, 10:55 AM
I agree with all you said here, especially if it helps get him traded. Especially for a decent/solid outfielder or even a prospect.

Great idea, seeing as we have a surplus of arms right now:D. If Sheff's injury turns long term, then maybe I could see the point in it, but we need all the pitching we can get. Trading Wright for a prospect is absurd at this point.

bobbymagee
05-19-06, 03:51 PM

Please reconsider your comments after you see him pitch again. You can then notice the consistency from his next game to the game on 05/18/06. Also, he gave up only 2 runs over 7 innings. How many runs did our offense provide Jaret?

TheBamTino24
05-23-06, 10:49 PM
Wright was absolutely brilliant tonight in Boston. Not much more can be said other than that. Hopefully he remains healthy and continues to build upon the past month.

-tz
05-23-06, 10:53 PM
Wright has "a little tweak on his groin," and that's why Torre took him out after five innings. :(

Per Torre in the YES postgame.

hardrain
05-23-06, 10:55 PM
Wright deserves a pat on the back tonight...He's looking sharp lately.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-23-06, 10:56 PM
I'll give Jaret his props. He's pitching well when everyone either is shaky or hurt. He couldn't have picked a better time to get everything clicking right. Keep on, keeping on Wright.

junkman73
05-23-06, 10:56 PM
While a 3.64 ERA the past 3 games isn't exactly mind blowing, I'll give him credit for putting together a few solid outings, something Old Man Johnson can't even do.

Well done there.

In the AL, I will take it. Why did Joe take him out after only 73 pitches??? Octavio Dotel can't get here soon enough.

DJ27
05-23-06, 11:04 PM
Wright has "a little tweak on his groin," and that's why Torre took him out after five innings. :(

Well, so much for that. Thanks for your efforts Jamie! Good luck getting healthy again. At least we know you will be back sometime later this year and are not "Pavanoed".

conkermaniac
05-23-06, 11:13 PM
Thanks for your efforts Jamie!
His name is Jaret. :)

Giddyup5
05-23-06, 11:14 PM
he said in the postgame that he doesn't think the groin pull is anything serious....not only great pitching latley...but sound like he'll stay healthy!! wohoo

PeteRFNY
05-23-06, 11:15 PM
A groin tweak could be nothing. A tear would be bad news, a pull would be bad news, but a tweak? I won't panic YET.

YanksForLife
05-23-06, 11:19 PM
Thanks to Jaret for pitching well enough to get a "W" against the Sox. I did not even want to watch tonight's game because of the matchups but I did anyways.

Now if we can only score enough runs of Clement to keep the slugfest close tomorrow night.

hellonewman
05-23-06, 11:20 PM
Giving love to Jaret would require giving credit to Bill "George Costanza" Emslie and the rest of the Tampa band of mental munchkins, which I am genetically programmed not to be able to do, so I will hold off for now on any love for Clyde Wright's boy.

Nice game though. :rockin:

yanksphan
05-23-06, 11:31 PM

Huh...so I guess Torre's not an idiot. The Game Thread lied to me.

-tz
05-23-06, 11:40 PM
Huh...so I guess Torre's not an idiot. The Game Thread lied to me.Well, they don't let me in the Game Thread because I'm too negative, but even I knew that Torre didn't take Wright out because he's an idiot! :P

Jace
05-23-06, 11:59 PM
I love you always Jaret

Jace
05-24-06, 12:01 AM

Well done there.

Honestly, a good 2/3 of those runs were given up by relievers as inherited runners, he's been even more useful than that

dmbphan1
05-24-06, 12:10 AM
I think Wright will turn into last years Aaron Small and be the difference maker

HidekiIrabu
05-24-06, 12:13 AM
I think Wright will turn into last years Aaron Small and be the difference maker

Except Wright actually has good stuff and has done relatively well in the past.

iWant27
05-24-06, 12:16 AM
Well, they don't let me in the Game Thread because I'm too negative, but even I knew that Torre didn't take Wright out because he's an idiot! :P

but aren't you negative in a good way , i mean you try to jinx it the opposite way :)

BigCheese
05-24-06, 12:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, Wright was awesome today, but I wouldn't go pinning my hopes to him... some of those outs today were hit pretty hard; a bit off the mark in either direction, and those would've been solid hits.

We'll take what we can get, of course! Thanks!

dmbphan1
05-24-06, 01:19 AM
Except Wright actually has good stuff and has done relatively well in the past.

yea, but when the season started. There was question to weather or not he would even be in the rotation, even last week before Pavano went down again there was uncertainty. I feel like now he feels like he has a spot, He will be dominate.

cmaff05
05-24-06, 01:21 AM
yea, but when the season started. There was question to weather or not he would even be in the rotation, even last week before Pavano went down again there was uncertainty. I feel like now he feels like he has a spot, He will be dominate.

I don't think Wright will dominate by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say if he keeps pitching like this he's got a sure spot as a No.5 starter on the rotation.

dmbphan1
05-24-06, 01:22 AM
I don't think Wright will dominate by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say if he keeps pitching like this he's got a sure spot as a No.5 starter on the rotation.

yea, maybe dominate was too strong of a word. have a sub 5 ERA and win 10 games is more along the lines of what I meant.

JeffWeaverFan
05-24-06, 01:45 AM
Huh...so I guess Torre's not an idiot. The Game Thread lied to me.
Most people said if he was taken out without being hurt it would be a moronic move and either way, Proctor should never have come back out. Either way, I just hope he is okay - we need him.

JeffWeaverFan
05-24-06, 01:45 AM
I'd say #4. RJ has the #5 right now.

conkermaniac
05-24-06, 04:48 AM
If he can win 12 games and post an ERA of 4.30 this season, I'd be more than happy.

CalYankeeFan
05-24-06, 04:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, Wright was awesome today, but I wouldn't go pinning my hopes to him... some of those outs today were hit pretty hard; a bit off the mark in either direction, and those would've been solid hits.

We'll take what we can get, of course! Thanks!

Rather have a ball hit hard at someone than a bloop off that scores the losing run. Point is, an out is an out and a hit is a hit....doesn't matter how hard or softly it was hit.

4bronxbombers
05-24-06, 05:38 AM
I'm lovin' Jaret for pitching so well last night - against the sox. We needed that win badly. Made my day.............

ppa79
05-24-06, 09:41 AM
Wright is pitching really good lately. With every start I am gaining more confidence in him.

freebubba
05-24-06, 10:08 AM
I'll tell you this: Carl Pavano should ask Jared Wright if he could have a couple of his testicles, because Wright has a whole sac full. He fears nothing and wants the ball.

Hats off, man. I'll gladly ride this wave.

yankeesnumber1
05-24-06, 10:10 AM
He pitched a solid game...hope the groin injury isn't too serious!

Mark19
06-03-06, 02:05 AM
Jaret has been a 3.5 ERA guy over the last month or so.

I am starting to feel that he can be relied on as a legit #3 guy.

I think our rotation for the rest of June has to be:

Moose
RJ
Wright
Wang
Chacon

RollingWave
06-03-06, 02:10 AM
He also has a pretty darn high WHIP and OPS for that ERA (it's significantly higher than Wang, who have like .5 higher ERA.)

Whatever gets the job done yes, but in reality unless Wang can not find consistency for most of the rest of the season I see little reason to belive Wright will be better than Wang in the longer run....

Yankees13
06-03-06, 02:12 AM
He also has a pretty darn high WHIP and OPS for that ERA (it's significantly higher than Wang, who have like .5 higher ERA.)

Whatever gets the job done yes, but in reality unless Wang can not find consistency for most of the rest of the season I see little reason to belive Wright will be better than Wang in the longer run....
I've noticed this too, but his other numbers are bloated by his early season numbers I think. He did give up 9 hits tonight, but no walks.

nyyanksfan20
06-03-06, 02:28 AM
Jaret pitched pretty good tonight, but can he please pitch more than 6.

RollingWave
06-03-06, 02:34 AM
Wright vs Wang in May

Wright 1.27 WHIP .333 SLG .300 OBP 3.25 ERA 27.2IP 3W 1L in 5 GS
2.60 BB/9

Wang 1.15 WHIP .351 SLG .289 OBP 4.28 ERA 40IP 4w 1 L in 6 GS
1.80 BB/9
Wang's WHIP is still better, OPS Wright has a mini 0.007 advantage.
To sumerize they both pitched about the same, with Wang actually being far more consistent. (12.1 more IP with only 1 extra GS) the ERA difference pretty much sums up that a. Wright's been getting pretty lucky and b. Wang's struggle with guys on is getting pretty darn serious.

In the end still the same conclusion, Wang has a consitency problem that if he can overcome, should be far more effective than Wright, whom is pitching well but not quiet as well as the end result have indicated resently.

puckmaster87
06-03-06, 02:45 AM
Wright vs Wang in May

Wright 1.27 WHIP .333 SLG .300 OBP 3.25 ERA 27.2IP 3W 1L in 5 GS
2.60 BB/9

Wang 1.15 WHIP .351 SLG .289 OBP 4.28 ERA 40IP 4w 1 L in 6 GS
1.80 BB/9
Wang's WHIP is still better, OPS Wright has a mini 0.007 advantage.
To sumerize they both pitched about the same, with Wang actually being far more consistent. (12.1 more IP with only 1 extra GS) the ERA difference pretty much sums up that a. Wright's been getting pretty lucky and b. Wang's struggle with guys on is getting pretty darn serious.

In the end still the same conclusion, Wang has a consitency problem that if he can overcome, should be far more effective than Wright, whom is pitching well but not quiet as well as the end result have indicated resently.

Wang's problem seems to be working out of the stretch. His mechanics get all messed up. But when he's working from the windup, unless you figure out how to get a groundball through a hole, he's basically unhittable.
Kudos to Wright's pitching lately and let's hope he can keep this up. It would be nice if he could go 6-7 innings on a consistent basis.

KLJ
06-03-06, 02:56 AM
wright is a #5 at best.. with the money he gets i'm not sure how much "love" he really deserves..

Kluivert4Ever
06-03-06, 05:59 AM
wright is a #5 at best.. with the money he gets i'm not sure how much "love" he really deserves..

The money he makes is not relevant, Steinbrenners Tampa connection gave it to him, what was he supposed to do, say no?

Yankees1962
06-03-06, 06:32 AM
The money he makes is not relevant, Steinbrenners Tampa connection gave it to him, what was he supposed to do, say no?
Who cares about relevance, we're fans so if many of us don't care for Wright then so be it. Personally, I can't wait to see him gone after this year.

The Yankee Captain
06-03-06, 07:19 AM
Who cares about relevance, we're fans so if many of us don't care for Wright then so be it. Personally, I can't wait to see him gone after this year.

He's been pretty consistent for the past month, month and a half, right when we needed him. He dialed it up to 95 last night and has good movement on his FB. Curve, change not too shabby. I like his attitude on the mound. Why so much hate towards a guy wearing the pinstripes?

yankeebot
06-03-06, 07:25 AM
Who cares about relevance, we're fans so if many of us don't care for Wright then so be it. Personally, I can't wait to see him gone after this year. Not so fast. With the way he is pitching, I would not count on him being bought out after this year. The FA pitching market is not that great and the team only saves $3 mil if they buy out his contract. There is still a lot of season left but if he continues as he has been, I expect to see him in pinstripes in 2007.

Yankees1962
06-03-06, 07:37 AM
He's been pretty consistent for the past month, month and a half, right when we needed him. He dialed it up to 95 last night and has good movement on his FB. Curve, change not too shabby. I like his attitude on the mound. Why so much hate towards a guy wearing the pinstripes?
I don't like him as a pitcher and think he's an accident waiting to happen. I'm expecting him to fall on his face again sometime in the very near future. Furthermore, he's a strain on the bullpen. This is my opinion so disagree if you must.

Yankees1962
06-03-06, 07:39 AM
Not so fast. With the way he is pitching, I would not count on him being bought out after this year. The FA pitching market is not that great and the team only saves $3 mil if they buy out his contract. There is still a lot of season left but if he continues as he has been, I expect to see him in pinstripes in 2007.
If it happens then that's quite unfortunate.

YanksRooter66
06-03-06, 07:39 AM
Last night's performance should prove that small is the odd man out.

drjeckyl
06-03-06, 07:44 AM
Not so fast. With the way he is pitching, I would not count on him being bought out after this year. The FA pitching market is not that great and the team only saves $3 mil if they buy out his contract. There is still a lot of season left but if he continues as he has been, I expect to see him in pinstripes in 2007.

Agreed.... A good year can go a long way toward negating a bad year...

Yanks4eva1
06-03-06, 07:47 AM
At this point, Wright is been consistently decent, not spectacular, but decent. His control is much better and there is movement on his pitches for sure. He's also gaining a bit more confidence each time he gets on the mound and that is obviously a positive. Now if he can only stay healthy, please dear God. We can ill-afford another injury.

Dee

The Yankee Captain
06-03-06, 09:08 AM
I don't like him as a pitcher and think he's an accident waiting to happen. I'm expecting him to fall on his face again sometime in the very near future. Furthermore, he's a strain on the bullpen. This is my opinion so disagree if you must.

I do agree that he has to start pitching more than 5 or 6 innings per outing.

cmaff05
06-03-06, 09:28 AM
Guys, he's a number 5 starter. You are expecting too much from him. How many number 5 starters in this league have been as good as Jaret Wright? Maybe 1 or 2 at most..

It would be nice for him to go 7+ innings, but it's only a bonus. 6 quality innings are just fine for a guy like Jaret Wright.

BeantownYankee
06-03-06, 09:39 AM
Guys, he's a number 5 starter. You are expecting too much from him. How many number 5 starters in this league have been as good as Jaret Wright? Maybe 1 or 2 at most..

It would be nice for him to go 7+ innings, but it's only a bonus. 6 quality innings are just fine for a guy like Jaret Wright.

ummm I thought RJ was our #5 ;)

cmaff05
06-03-06, 09:42 AM
ummm I thought RJ was our #5 ;)

No, you got it wrong.. Randy's our #6 spot starter and Aaron Small is our #1 starter.

38Special
06-03-06, 09:57 AM
Furthermore, he's a strain on the bullpen.

You can blame Torre for that. He was at 89 pitches (60 for strikes) through 6 yesterday

parkerstrong
06-03-06, 10:04 AM
He has done better than I thought he would....lets hope 6 innings and 3 runs is what he gives us against boston his next start

Yankees1962
06-03-06, 10:06 AM
You can blame Torre for that. He was at 89 pitches (60 for strikes) through 6 yesterday
We don't know if that's necessarily the case. What if he told Torre that he's out of gas? He averages 5.1 innings per start, that's not good enough.

38Special
06-03-06, 10:15 AM
so you cant blame torre but you can blame wright, thats nice

Yankees1962
06-03-06, 10:34 AM
so you cant blame torre but you can blame wright, thats nice
I got plenty of other stuff to blame on Torre like his use of Villone and playing Long and Bernie too much.

yanksphan
06-03-06, 11:08 AM
We don't know if that's necessarily the case. What if he told Torre that he's out of gas? He averages 5.1 innings per start, that's not good enough.

Moose - 6.2
Wang - 6.1
RJ - 5.2
Wright - 5.1
Chacon - 5.1

In context, it's not just Wright that needs to up his IP/game.

Yankees1962
06-03-06, 02:09 PM
Moose - 6.2
Wang - 6.1
RJ - 5.2
Wright - 5.1
Chacon - 5.1

In context, it's not just Wright that needs to up his IP/game.
However, this thread is about Wright and not the other pitchers. In other threads I have already stated my displeasure with some of the other starters.

Yanks Lifer
06-03-06, 02:33 PM
He has been stepping up, let's hope it continues!

Jace
06-03-06, 02:34 PM
If it happens then that's quite unfortunate.

I tend to disagree. If he goes the rest of the season without a real injury and finishes with an ERA around 4.5, league average (good for 4th/5th starter), then we basically have to pay only $3 mil for an average starter (the $4 mil is sunk, we pay it either way so it doesn't matter at this point), a good deal. I agree he is both an injury and performance risk, but he works hard and really wants to perform, and has good stuff on occasion. If he flops hes either on the DL or in long relief (or even DFA, believe me they would not hesitate to DFA him in the last year of his contract) and we are out $3 million. Oh well.

This all is contingent on us not having any better options. If our rotation is set except for one spot and its between Jaret Wright and Barry Zito, and Zito isn't too expensive (3 years 25 mil maybe, I guess thats pretty optimistic considering what Millwood and Burnett got but whatever we'll see, it could be more of a sellers market), then I'd rather have Zito

In Mo I Trust
06-03-06, 05:29 PM
I tend to disagree. If he goes the rest of the season without a real injury and finishes with an ERA around 4.5, league average (good for 4th/5th starter), then we basically have to pay only $3 mil for an average starter (the $4 mil is sunk, we pay it either way so it doesn't matter at this point), a good deal. I agree he is both an injury and performance risk, but he works hard and really wants to perform, and has good stuff on occasion. If he flops hes either on the DL or in long relief (or even DFA, believe me they would not hesitate to DFA him in the last year of his contract) and we are out $3 million. Oh well.

This all is contingent on us not having any better options. If our rotation is set except for one spot and its between Jaret Wright and Barry Zito, and Zito isn't too expensive (3 years 25 mil maybe, I guess thats pretty optimistic considering what Millwood and Burnett got but whatever we'll see, it could be more of a sellers market), then I'd rather have Zito

Exactly, it looks like Wright will be back, 3 million does not buy much pitching these days.

yanksphan
08-26-06, 10:42 AM
from Elias:

This time Jaret Wright didn't even get close. Wright was knocked out in the fourth inning of his start against the Angels on Friday night. It was the 25th consecutive start in which Wright failed to retire a batter beyond the sixth inning, dating back to last September and equaling the second-longest streaks in major-league history.

TheBamTino24
08-26-06, 10:46 AM
Wright has done well for us this year, but he's a complete liability for a bullpen already spread thin because we did not have an adequate #5 starter until Lidle arrived.

I look forward to Pavano taking Wright's spot next week. Wright can work relief.

Rich
08-26-06, 10:50 AM
DFA him now.

cmaff05
08-26-06, 12:41 PM
He was big-time for us during most of the year.. after all, he's much better than Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon. He's taken the ball 22 times this year.. and we are grateful for that. But he's going through a rough stretch right now.. and you just can't have rough stretches with guys who only go 5 innings in their best performances.

I'd put him in the bullpen when Pavano comes back. Don't pick up his option next year because he's just murder on the bullpen when he starts. And we aren't paying 7 million for a long reliever next year.

nydeano
08-26-06, 12:47 PM
Wright is a double edged sword. He doesen't open the flood gates or the roof and let runs pour in or fly out, but in doing so, he throws 90 pitches in 3 innings. You're screwed either way. I like Jaret, he seems like a good clubhouse guy and a battler, but he has to come out of the pen. Empty the tank for an inning of work. He has the ability to throw gas.

BBombers85
08-26-06, 12:47 PM
It was nice knowin ya Jaret, but you were doomed to begin with.

montrealer
08-26-06, 01:42 PM
Stick a fork in him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-26-06, 01:57 PM
No! Such a terrible signing...

SportzStooge007
08-26-06, 01:57 PM
I've always been supportive of Jaret Wright. He's really done his best and been fairly consistent.

That being said, he isn't helping the team by only being able to go 4-5 innings into a ball game.

With Carl Pavano coming back, I think Wright has some competition. Plus, the young guy Jeff Karstens could take his place when Mussina if he continues to pitch well.

You can't get by as a major league starter in this AL only being able to be effective for 4 or 5 innings. That just isn't possible.

bambam51
08-26-06, 02:13 PM
After Wright's performance last night I hope the Yankees don't exercise his 7 million dollar option. People seem to think that the Yankees would only be saving 3 million dollars if they exercise the 4 million dollar buyout but they would be saving more than that because the 4 million dollars does not appear on payroll and is not subject to payroll taxes. Therefore, they would be saving 3 million + the taxes on 7 million dollars added payroll. If they let Wright walk, the total savings would be about 4.5 million. This money allows us to bring back Villone and Dotel instead of Wright, the guys saving the bullpen, not the one destroying it. By letting him go we're losing 2.5 million dollars but keeping Villone and Dotel instead of Wright. So be it.

DJ27
08-26-06, 02:15 PM
After Wright's performance last night I hope the Yankees don't exercise his 7 million dollar option. People seem to think that the Yankees would only be saving 3 million dollars if they exercise the 4 million dollar buyout but they would be saving more than that because the 4 million dollars does not appear on payroll and is not subject to payroll taxes. Therefore, they would be saving 3 million + the taxes on 7 million dollars added payroll. The total savings would be about 4.5 million. This money allows us to bring back Villone and Dotel instead of Wright, the guys saving the bullpen, not the one destroying it. By letting him go we're losing 2.5 million dollars but keeping Villone and Dotel instead of Wright. So be it.

Agreed.. easy choice.

4bronxbombers
08-26-06, 02:18 PM
I've always been supportive of Jaret Wright. He's really done his best and been fairly consistent.

That being said, he isn't helping the team by only being able to go 4-5 innings into a ball game.

With Carl Pavano coming back, I think Wright has some competition. Plus, the young guy Jeff Karstens could take his place when Mussina if he continues to pitch well.

You can't get by as a major league starter in this AL only being able to be effective for 4 or 5 innings. That just isn't possible.

I agree. I like Wright but he's the most frustrating pitcher to watch. He seems to get in jams often and the biggest frustration is his ability to only go 4/5 innings.

BBombers85
08-26-06, 02:22 PM
I agree. I like Wright but he's the most frustrating pitcher to watch. He seems to get in jams often and the biggest frustration is his ability to only go 4/5 innings.

Maybe we can make him the intentional walk specialist :D :D

bambam51
08-26-06, 02:38 PM
Agreed.. easy choice.

Yup. Villone and Dotel > Wright + 2.5 mil

SportzStooge007
08-26-06, 02:40 PM
After Wright's performance last night I hope the Yankees don't exercise his 7 million dollar option. People seem to think that the Yankees would only be saving 3 million dollars if they exercise the 4 million dollar buyout but they would be saving more than that because the 4 million dollars does not appear on payroll and is not subject to payroll taxes. Therefore, they would be saving 3 million + the taxes on 7 million dollars added payroll. If they let Wright walk, the total savings would be about 4.5 million. This money allows us to bring back Villone and Dotel instead of Wright, the guys saving the bullpen, not the one destroying it. By letting him go we're losing 2.5 million dollars but keeping Villone and Dotel instead of Wright. So be it.

Exercising a $7 million option on a mediocre 5th starter is ridiculous.

There's no way that's happening, especially with Phillip Hughes in the minors, Carl Pavano coming off the DL, Matasuzaka ready to come to the Major here in the US and Barry Zito available.

There are too many people that can replace him easily that would be far more economical.

You might pay tons more for Zito - but in the end, Zito can head a staff. Wright, on the other hand is on his way to the bullpen.

skoonen
08-26-06, 02:49 PM
Christ, whats so hard to understand about this. It costs $4m to let him walk and get nothing in return. It costs an additional $3m to resign him and keep him or trade for prospects/something. Considering how much starting pitchers go for these days, it would be retarded to simply let him walk and get nothing in return. Im sure some NL team would love to have him, if Cashman can trade Shawn Chacon for Craig Wilson then Jaret Wright will easily fetch something.

mrs.roy
08-26-06, 02:50 PM
He should be put in the bull-pen. Let Karstens or another youngster have another start until Mr. Torre wants to see what Pavano has.
If that doesn't work you can always go back to Wright, and keep your fingers crossed.
Really, he would be best out of the pen where he could pitch 1-4 innings on any day or days needed.
Of course there is always the spot start, or emergency start (if you will), that he could be used, or the good old mop up role/throw away game, is always available for him.

bambam51
08-26-06, 03:04 PM
Christ, whats so hard to understand about this. It costs $4m to let him walk and get nothing in return. It costs an additional $3m to resign him and keep him or trade for prospects/something. Considering how much starting pitchers go for these days, it would be retarded to simply let him walk and get nothing in return. Im sure some NL team would love to have him, if Cashman can trade Shawn Chacon for Craig Wilson then Jaret Wright will easily fetch something.

It saves 4.5 million to let him walk. Payroll taxes on 7 mil (1.5 mil) + 3 million difference after 4 million buyout. The prospect we could get for Wright is not worth a 4.5 million savings that can be used to bring back Villone and Dotel + we would be getting a decent draft pick for him by declining his option. Karstens is worth more on the trade market.

Matt
08-26-06, 03:07 PM
Jaret Wright makes me pray that Carl Pavano is finally healthy. Please come back and replace this bum, Carl. Please.

skoonen
08-26-06, 03:18 PM
It saves 4.5 million to let him walk. Payroll taxes on 7 mil (1.5 mil) + 3 million difference after 4 million buyout. The prospect we could get for Wright is not worth a 4.5 million savings that can be used to bring back Villone and Dotel + we would be getting a decent draft pick for him by declining his option. Karstens is worth more on the trade market.

Why exactly would they be taxed on a player they trade away? And it doesnt have to be a prospect, he could be traded for a solid reliever like how the mets got Duaner Sanchez for Jae Seo. Youre going to eat the $4m no matter what, and other teams will definately pay the remaining $3m PLUS give you something in return.

bambam51
08-26-06, 03:24 PM
Why exactly would they be taxed on a player they trade away? And it doesnt have to be a prospect, he could be traded for a solid reliever like how the mets got Duaner Sanchez for Jae Seo. Youre going to eat the $4m no matter what, and other teams will definately pay the remaining $3m PLUS give you something in return.

I didn't say they would be taxed if they dealt him, I said they would be taxed if they exercised his 7 million option. Then they would lose the draft pick and the 4.5 million savings which could be used to bring back Villone and Dotel.

Villone + Dotel + 1st or 2nd round pick > Wright + 2.5 mil

Villone + Dotel + 1st or 2nd round pick > prospect or reliever acquired for Wright

YankeePride1967
08-26-06, 03:31 PM
While Wright has exceeded my expectations for him this year, I cut him loose after the season.

MassNYYfan
08-26-06, 03:33 PM
Average start is under 5 innings. A great start is 6 innings. He's battled alot out there and come out with some nice starts, but man even the "great" 6 inning outings have me gnawing my fingers off.

Jasbro
08-26-06, 03:52 PM
Exercising a $7 million option on a mediocre 5th starter is ridiculous.

There's no way that's happening, especially with Phillip Hughes in the minors, Carl Pavano coming off the DL, Matasuzaka ready to come to the Major here in the US and Barry Zito available.

There are too many people that can replace him easily that would be far more economical.

You might pay tons more for Zito - but in the end, Zito can head a staff. Wright, on the other hand is on his way to the bullpen.

Zito and Wright are two different conversations. Zito is going to command so much money that $3mm to any player next year will not impact whether or not he is acquired.

The only real issues with regard to Wright are: 1) whether we could replace what we have in Wright for $3mm or less; and 2) whether we can get anywhere close to $4mm in value back by trading him.

ppa79
08-26-06, 03:53 PM
I would rather take that 3 million and spend it something else. I don't really want Wright past this season. He puts a burden on the bullpen, is injury prone, and I have a feeling he is gonna get hit hard next season.

YankeePride1967
08-26-06, 03:58 PM
It isn't just the money that is in question with Wright, it's the position he's taking on the roster. It's one roster spot that could be better utilized.

indianyanksfan
08-26-06, 04:12 PM
man i look like an idiot for starting this thread.

couldnt someone bring up my moose thread that i made earlier...i actually look smart there.

BBombers85
08-26-06, 07:56 PM
man i look like an idiot for starting this thread.

couldnt someone bring up my moose thread that i made earlier...i actually look smart there.

Hehe. Well Jaret did put together like 3-4 good starts at one point, but that was the high point in his entire two years with the Yanks. Hes a big disappointment. I hope he doesnt make his next start and Pavs does.

indianyanksfan
08-27-06, 12:39 AM
Hehe. Well Jaret did put together like 3-4 good starts at one point, but that was the high point in his entire two years with the Yanks. Hes a big disappointment. I hope he doesnt make his next start and Pavs does.

doesnt matter i still look like a royal doofus...:(

Gator's Shadow
08-27-06, 09:31 AM

He's had more than 3-4 good starts during the year..in terms of putting them together back to back to back...well, thats not what a 4-5 pitcher does..if they did, they'd be a #2. The problem is that his last 2 have been horrible and he is a huge drain on the pen. I dont think he should be yanked from the rotation just yet..lets see how he does in his next start. All this talk about Pavano taking Wrights next turn in the rotation was obviously and unsurprisingly premature.

goin for 27
08-27-06, 09:41 AM
He's had more than 3-4 good starts during the year..in terms of putting them together back to back to back...well, thats not what a 4-5 pitcher does..if they did, they'd be a #2. The problem is that his last 2 have been horrible and he is a huge drain on the pen. I dont think he should be yanked from the rotation just yet..lets see how he does in his next start. All this talk about Pavano taking Wrights next turn in the rotation was obviously and unsurprisingly premature.

Yes he has had more than 3-4 good starts during the year.

0 Quality Starts in April
2 Quality Starts in May
2 Quality Starts in June
1 Quality Start in July
1 Quality Start so far in August

So he has had 6 Quality Starts this season. Never mind back to back, I don't think 6 Quality starts in 22 is enough production to keep him in the lineup. The reality is that there is simply no one else....

ryanthe13th
08-27-06, 09:43 AM
Wright would be best suited as a long relief pitcher for us. Unfortunately he has to be in the rotation.

ericns1
08-27-06, 09:56 AM
He has helped the team this year and came back last year when some did not think he would. That said he can't go beyond the 5th or 6th and that strains the bullpen so if he is replaced so be it.

goin for 27
08-27-06, 09:57 AM
Wright would be best suited as a long relief pitcher for us. Unfortunately he has to be in the rotation.

The only problem with relieving, is that his numbers in pitches 1-15 are atrocious. The only time he is worse out of the gate, is from pitches 91 on...His first three innings pitched numbers in starts are worse than innings 4-6. He takes time to get rolling...The idea of a long guy is to hold a team right where they are for a few innings, providing your team with a chance to come back. Wright would not be good at that.

YankeePride1967
08-27-06, 10:07 AM
Yes he has had more than 3-4 good starts during the year.

0 Quality Starts in April
2 Quality Starts in May
2 Quality Starts in June
1 Quality Start in July
1 Quality Start so far in August

So he has had 6 Quality Starts this season. Never mind back to back, I don't think 6 Quality starts in 22 is enough production to keep him in the lineup. The reality is that there is simply no one else....

Since a quality start is only 6 IP and 3 ER, that is awful. A quality should be easy to do more often than not.

TheBamTino24
08-27-06, 10:17 AM
Since a quality start is only 6 IP and 3 ER, that is awful. A quality should be easy to do more often than not.

He's also had the following, none of which is technically a QS:

5.1IP/2ER (OAK)
5IP/0ER (BOS)
5IP/0ER (PHI)
5IP/1ER (TOR)
5.1IP/1ER (LAA)

Those are good starts to me, so that's 11 out of 22. The problem is he CONSISTENTLY burns the bullpen, a good/great 5-6 innings or not.

YankeePride1967
08-27-06, 10:20 AM

5.1IP/2ER (OAK)
5IP/0ER (BOS)
5IP/0ER (PHI)
5IP/1ER (TOR)
5.1IP/1ER (LAA)

Those are good starts to me, so that's 11 out of 22. The problem is he CONSISTENTLY burns the bullpen, a good/great 5-6 innings or not.

That is a problem any pitcher going that short does. Yes, the ER column is impressive, but to me a pitcher has to go AT LEAST 6 innings and 7 somewhat regularly for me to call him a good pitcher and worth being on the roster. I'm not a big fan of the quality start stat but there is a reason they have it 6 innings minimum and 3 ER maximum.

4bronxbombers
08-27-06, 10:22 AM
doesnt matter i still look like a royal doofus...:(

Well look at it this way - we got 6 pages out of it so far..............;)

goin for 27
08-27-06, 10:22 AM

I don't know about more often than not, if a starter makes 30 starts a year, and has more than 15 quality starts, he is damn good. (RJ has 13 QS in 28 starts this year)

That said, certainly 6 in a season to date is just not that good....

TheBamTino24
08-27-06, 10:23 AM
That is a problem any pitcher going that short does. Yes, the ER column is impressive, but to me a pitcher has to go AT LEAST 6 innings and 7 somewhat regularly for me to call him a good pitcher and worth being on the roster.

I definitely see the logic in this. Because even if Wright gives you an impressive 5 shutout innings, you still have to get 4 innings from the bullpen. Every single time he's pitched, we have needed at least 3 innings from the bullpen.

That's lunacy indeed.

YankeePride1967
08-27-06, 10:24 AM
I definitely see the logic in this. Because even if Wright gives you an impressive 5 shutout innings, you still have to get 4 innings from the bullpen. Every single time he's pitched, we have needed at least 3 innings from the bullpen.

That's lunacy indeed.

Exactly, even if you allow 0 runs over 5, that's still 4 innings someone else has to pitch well in.

EnricoPalazzo
08-27-06, 10:25 AM
if pavanocan pitch than wright shouldnt see the mound again this year unless it is the jay witasik role.

this guy is just killing the team right now. his 5 inning starts hurt the team more than they help it. he kills the bullpen for a week.

4bronxbombers
08-27-06, 10:27 AM

That's lunacy indeed.

Wright should be psychoanalyzed to find out why he can't go past 5 innings in each of his starts. ;) Needing 3 innings from the bullpen each time he pitches is almost a given each time.

goin for 27
08-27-06, 10:28 AM

5.1IP/2ER (OAK)
5IP/0ER (BOS)
5IP/0ER (PHI)
5IP/1ER (TOR)
5.1IP/1ER (LAA)

I can't call 5 IP starts good starts. These starts lead to burned out bullpens, and the Yanks are paying that price right now. (Not Wright alone, of course, but he contributed mightily)

You simply cannot start 22 games, appear in 3 others, and have a total of 110.2 IP. That is four and a half innings per outing.

EnricoPalazzo
08-27-06, 10:30 AM
those starts you cited seem to have been from a long time ago.

TheBamTino24
08-27-06, 10:54 AM
Wright should be psychoanalyzed to find out why he can't go past 5 innings in each of his starts. ;) Needing 3 innings from the bullpen each time he pitches is almost a given each time.

It must be his arm. He has had so many injuries with that thing, it is probably always an issue. That's why his stats are so awful after a certain number of pitches - because his arm just doesn't have the capability to be strong and lend itself to quality pitches.

He's awful with pitches 1-15 while his arm warms (1.046 OPS) and then pitches 94+ he has an OPS of .944.

Let him spot start in September when we have a deeper bullpen. He can give our Big 3 some rest while we caddy him with the likes of Aaron Small, TJ Beam and Jose Veras.

FWIW:
20.1 of Villone's 73.1 IP this season have come in Wright's starts.
24.1 of Proctor's 83.2 IP this season have come in Wright's starts.

indianyanksfan
08-27-06, 12:00 PM
Well look at it this way - we got 6 pages out of it so far..............;)

so along with being a doofus, i'm an instigator to boot...:(

Yankeesfan811
08-28-06, 01:17 PM
for some reason, Wright can never finish the hitter off. He always seems to work the count to 3-2 on EVERY hitter. This is why he can't get past the 6th inning. He always seams to have thrown 90 pitches then. He needs to go after the hitter in a pitcher's count. He needs to throw that good two seemer more often. It moves in on right-handed hitters and away from lefties....

yanksphan
08-28-06, 04:41 PM
for some reason, Wright can never finish the hitter off. He always seems to work the count to 3-2 on EVERY hitter. This is why he can't get past the 6th inning. He always seams to have thrown 90 pitches then. He needs to go after the hitter in a pitcher's count. He needs to throw that good two seemer more often. It moves in on right-handed hitters and away from lefties....

Actually, to expand on that, I noticed this last outing he actually went 0-2 on the majority of those 3-2 counts.

Guy needs an out pitch for sure.

cmaff05
08-28-06, 04:44 PM
Actually, to expand on that, I noticed this last outing he actually went 0-2 on the majority of those 3-2 counts.

Guy needs an out pitch for sure.

I don't know if TJ surgery ruined him or not or if he didn't have good secondary stuff in the firrst place.. but his secondary stuff is just extremely unconvincing. His slider has no bite to it.. his outpitch is his fastball.. and most of the times they'll just foul it off.

BigCheese
08-28-06, 04:49 PM

It's not unlike the decline of Al Leiter we saw... goes 0-2, then foul, foul, foul, foul, foul... shallow hit... pretty soon, he has a high pitch count and some runners on the bases. No out pitch.

TEPLimey
08-28-06, 04:54 PM
No. 5 starter = Wright + Karstens