PDA

View Full Version : The Value of Bunting?

BobbyMurcerFan
05-01-06, 05:05 PM
I've seeen a lot of posts saying essentially that bunting is stupid choice. Is this really true? Can any of you point me to some research that supports this position? THANKS!

yankeebot
05-01-06, 05:57 PM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/not-so-sweet-surrender/

JeffWeaverFan
05-01-06, 09:37 PM
It will cost a team runs over the course of the season (even more so with the Yankees since we are a great OBP team and don't make outs as much as other teams). But, if you are playing for 1 run, which you should only do in the 8th inning or later, it's a good move.

BobbyMurcerFan
05-02-06, 12:15 AM
Excellent article yankeebot, and summary JWF. :)

gold23
05-02-06, 03:40 PM
It will cost a team runs over the course of the season (even more so with the Yankees since we are a great OBP team and don't make outs as much as other teams). But, if you are playing for 1 run, which you should only do in the 8th inning or later, it's a good move.

Exactly. When Jeter bunts in the third inning with a runner on first with nobody out? Terrible move. When Stinnett bunts with a runner on and no outs in the 8th of a tie game? Very good move.

Stats show that you will cost yourself runs over the long haul by bunting. But that is because a bunt lessens the chances of a multiple run inning. Late in tie or close games, one run becomes extremely important. If the batter is not a particularly good hitter, it makes sense to bunt. But someone like Jeter should almost never bunt. I believe he does so partly because he wants to help the team, and partly because it is a "free" shot. If he gets a basehit, he is 1-1. If he gets thrown out, it doesn't hurt his BA.

Kluivert4Ever
05-05-06, 04:30 PM
Interesting thread, thanks.

Snatch Catch
05-05-06, 04:35 PM
I believe he does so partly because he wants to help the team, and partly because it is a "free" shot. If he gets a basehit, he is 1-1. If he gets thrown out, it doesn't hurt his BA.

I believe he does so because he thinks its the best move. Players are more ignorant to the stupidity of bunting than even the most foolish fans. They buy into things like wins for pitchers more than anyone.

gold23
05-05-06, 04:41 PM
I believe he does so because he thinks its the best move. Players are more ignorant to the stupidity of bunting than even the most foolish fans. They buy into things like wins for pitchers more than anyone.

I'm not sure if he thinks it is the best move, or if he thinks he is simply "playing the game the right way". I'm not intimating that he does so for selfish reasons, though the outcome certainly lends itself to that. You could even look at it as Jeter doing something decidedly unselfish, which in a roundabout way may be selfish in that he knowingly realizes that it isn't the "right" move.

Either way, it rubs off on his teammates that the captain is surrendering himself to advance runners....which may have more of a long-term effect than a simple bunt.

Squid
05-12-06, 05:11 PM
Seems to me there was already a looooong discussion on this here, but I can't find it.

Anyway, one point I made was that in the early innings some hitters with speed (I think including Jeter) try to bunt FOR HITS (i.e., drag/push bunt down the lines), rather than sacrifice (i.e., lay a ball out in front of the catcher).

I think that has to be analyzed separately from true sac bunting. I would think bunt-for-hit surely has less chance of wasting an out, therefore more chance of keeping a multi-run inning alive. If done infrequently, it might also cause surprise among defenders, possibly resulting in errors with further advance of any runners on base. Especially if said defenders are thought to be inept or hampered in fielding drag/push bunts -- like, oh, say, Curt Schilling in the 2004 ALCS.

I don't know positively that any of this is true, but I do think it should be considered separately from the pure sac bunt in the second inning, which, in statistical terms, is a profoundly bad idea.

mrmike98
05-15-06, 10:33 AM
The only bunt that I have use for is the drag bunt as you are attempting get on base. (Don't give away outs)

Those of us old enough to remember Rizzuto and Mantle saw it used somewhat strategically.

Otherwise, I totally agree with Earl Weaver and his disciples. Gimme a 3 run homer!