PDA

View Full Version : Sheff update?

Pages : [1] 2

ryanm1058123
04-29-06, 03:36 PM
Looks like he went down on his arm but also looked like he was shocked and never favored an arm.. please please please be healthy

KLJ
04-29-06, 03:38 PM
is this thread official?

ryanm1058123
04-29-06, 03:41 PM
is this thread official?

nope.. ;)

yanksrule69
04-29-06, 03:42 PM
He limped off awfully slowly. I hope everything is alright.

YankeeStripes
04-29-06, 03:42 PM
looks to me like he hit his head. i'll be happy if it is just a concussion. We dont need to lose him for a long time.

yanksrule69
04-29-06, 03:43 PM
looks to me like he hit his head. i'll be happy if it is just a concussion. We dont need to lose him for a long time.

Looked like he landed on his shoulder but he immediately grabbed his temple.

PoughVirginiaYankee
04-29-06, 03:47 PM
Looked like he landed on his shoulder but he immediately grabbed his temple.

Yeah...I was worried about the shoulder initially - seemed like the right one took the brunt of it. But... if you noticed, Torre and Donahue (or Monahan) helped him off the field, with his arms over them. So...I'm assuming his shoulder's ok.

Bozidar
04-29-06, 03:48 PM
i think that when he hit Hilly he spun a little, knocking his helmet out of place, and when he hit the ground it nailed him at a bad angle..

Davios
04-29-06, 03:54 PM
I understand that first basemen have to make up for some awkward throws and at times are put in awkward spots, but what Hillenbrand did was incredibly stupid and dangerous as hell. What in the hell he was doing throwing himself into the first base line like that knowing a player is coming full speed to the bag is beyond me.

jbauer2485
04-29-06, 03:55 PM
I understand that first basemen have to make up for some awkward throws and at times are put in awkward spots, but what Hillenbrand did was incredibly stupid and dangerous as hell. What in the hell he was doing throwing himself into the first base line like that knowing a player is coming full speed to the bag is beyond me.

I doubt he was thinking because it happened so fast.

yanksrule69
04-29-06, 03:58 PM
Left wrist and right knee bruises.

Nothing said about his shoulder or head.

ryanm1058123
04-29-06, 03:59 PM
Contusions on left wrist; right knee; day to day..

good news

jbauer2485
04-29-06, 04:04 PM
That's good, what happened to Hillenbrand, did he break his wrist?

yanksrule69
04-29-06, 04:13 PM
That's good, what happened to Hillenbrand, did he break his wrist?

I haven't heard an update on the TV broadcast but I just talked to someone who said they reported on the radio broadcast that he broke his arm.

38Special
04-29-06, 04:14 PM
I haven't heard an update on the TV broadcast but I just talked to someone who said they reported on the radio broadcast that he broke his arm.

SHEA HILLENBRAND HAS CRASHED INTO THE WORLD TR

DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN

jbauer2485
04-29-06, 05:19 PM
Hillenbrand didn't break anything, he has a CT scan for his head.

Iknowcool
04-29-06, 05:59 PM
Sheff might get a few days at DH, so this probably means starts for Bernie(hope not) or Crosby (better option) at RF. Or better yet, a call-up for Kevin Thompson or Melky Cabrera....

noneckwilliams
04-29-06, 06:03 PM

He had both his arms draped over the guys who were helping him off so it didn't appear that either the arms or shoulders were injured.

jbauer2485
04-29-06, 06:07 PM
He had both his arms draped over the guys who were helping him off so it didn't appear that either the arms or shoulders were injured.

I think he was talking about Hillenbrand

flymick24
04-29-06, 06:41 PM
Sheff might get a few days at DH, so this probably means starts for Bernie(hope not) or Crosby (better option) at RF. Or better yet, a call-up for Kevin Thompson or Melky Cabrera....

wishful thinking

Donnybaseball72
04-29-06, 06:47 PM
We don't have any hitters with options.

BBombers85
04-29-06, 06:57 PM
Not to discredit Sheff. I am a big fan of his, but right now it might be good to get Crosby into the game for a week or so because he does the small things along with Miguel Cairo. They are both exceptionally fast, and can easily advance runners, while with Sheff hitting the ball its either all or none. Once again, I am a big Gary Sheffield fan, so dont get me wrong, but we can use crosby in the lineup right now.

noneckwilliams
04-29-06, 07:00 PM
Not to discredit Sheff. I am a big fan of his, but right now it might be good to get Crosby into the game for a week or so because he does the small things along with Miguel Cairo. They are both exceptionally fast, and can easily advance runners, while with Sheff hitting the ball its either all or none. Once again, I am a big Gary Sheffield fan, so dont get me wrong, but we can use crosby in the lineup right now.

The way ARod is hitting I'd hate to see Shef's bat out of the lineup.

Jerkface
04-29-06, 07:02 PM
We can NEVER "use crosby in the lineup". He is looking pretty worthless.

ryanm1058123
04-29-06, 07:08 PM

Does the "small things" mean posting a sub .300 OBP and a sub .500 OPS?

Jaeho
04-29-06, 07:29 PM

Cairo and Crosby are both "exceptionally" fast?

Give MC credit. Cairo has played well in his role. Much to the disgust of Yankee bloggers and wannabee GMs everywhere.

Spiker101
04-29-06, 07:38 PM
Does the "small things" mean posting a sub .300 OBP and a sub .500 OPS?

Well, you don't get much smaller than that.

Spiker101
04-29-06, 07:42 PM
Give MC credit. Cairo has played well in his role. Much to the disgust of Yankee bloggers and wannabee GMs everywhere.

As he did in his first stint with the Yanks. Why the dislike for Cairo is beyond me. I just wish he could play the outfield.

yankeebot
04-29-06, 07:44 PM
Could this be a blessing in disguise? Maybe Joe will move Giambi up to bat third if Sheff sits for a few days. One can only hope.

BBombers85
04-29-06, 07:52 PM
Yes, I know OBP and Batting avg matter, but thats the problem with the yankees right now. It seems as if thats ALL that matters. I would love to see guys bunted over more often n get them in scoring position. A base hit is taken for granted by the Yankees, along with the home run. Stolen bases are basically only Damon (yes I know Sheff stole one today). Cairo is definitely better than Crosby, but Crosby (pls no 2005 ALDS Game 5 references) is a far more superior outfielder than Sheffield. The way I see it, if Crosby catches 1-2 fly balls a game that might;ve dropped with Sheff out there then that saved us one run, and credit that run to one Crosby drove in. My argument might be unclear so heres the bottom line:

Defense and speed is much lacking in the yankees lineup, which are exactly why I prefer Crosby over Sheff. There are enough hr hitters. And honestly, A-rods not gonna have 5 home runs the rest of the season so quit sweating over that.

Spiker101
04-29-06, 07:52 PM
Could this be a blessing in disguise? Maybe Joe will move Giambi up to bat third if Sheff sits for a few days. One can only hope.

IF Sheffield sits you can count on that. Without having any confidence at all in the Yanks' medical report, I wouldn't necessarily count on Gary sitting. That's a tough old bird.

ryanm1058123
04-29-06, 07:54 PM
Yes, I know OBP and Batting avg matter, but thats the problem with the yankees right now. It seems as if thats ALL that matters. I would love to see guys bunted over more often n get them in scoring position. A base hit is taken for granted by the Yankees, along with the home run. Stolen bases are basically only Damon (yes I know Sheff stole one today). Cairo is definitely better than Crosby, but Crosby (pls no 2005 ALDS Game 5 references) is a far more superior outfielder than Sheffield. The way I see it, if Crosby catches 1-2 fly balls a game that might;ve dropped with Sheff out there then that saved us one run, and credit that run to one Crosby drove in. My argument might be unclear so heres the bottom line:

Defense and speed is much lacking in the yankees lineup, which are exactly why I prefer Crosby over Sheff. There are enough hr hitters. And honestly, A-rods not gonna have 5 home runs the rest of the season so quit sweating over that.

Small ball = decreased run output on this team
Walking and home runs = how we score runs

what don't you people get

BBombers85
04-29-06, 07:57 PM
I dont get why you assume were gonna score 9-17 runs a night. It is exactly why we have 17 runs one night, and 2 the next. There is no consistency with walks and home runs

AJW
04-29-06, 08:08 PM
I dont get why you assume were gonna score 9-17 runs a night. It is exactly why we have 17 runs one night, and 2 the next. There is no consistency with walks and home runs

I agree with your assessment.

SheffRocks11
04-29-06, 09:22 PM
Get well soon sheff!

Jen19
04-29-06, 09:26 PM
Scary looking collision, but he's one of the toughest yankees there is

silverdsl
04-29-06, 10:03 PM
I'm glad to hear that it sounds like Sheffield's injuries aren't too bad if he's going to be day to day. I was listening to the game on the radio and when I heard it unfold I feared it was going to be really bad. I'm so happy it wasn't. I hope he gets better quick!

Mangycur
04-30-06, 12:11 AM
I'm glad to hear that it sounds like Sheffield's injuries aren't too bad if he's going to be day to day. I was listening to the game on the radio and when I heard it unfold I feared it was going to be really bad. I'm so happy it wasn't. I hope he gets better quick!

It sure looked really bad for Hillenbrand. Sheff's knee got him right in the temple and knocked his head sideways. That boy must have one thick skull.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 12:42 AM
I hope that this quiets the "Sheff doesn't hustle" crowd for a few games.

TheTinoMobile
04-30-06, 12:47 AM

No..Sheff Doesn't Hustle on Defense.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 01:04 AM
No..Sheff Doesn't Hustle on Defense. I have never, from dayone of his appearance as a Yankee, contended that. He should not be playing in the field.

I was speaking to the many posts in game threads that have accused him of not hustling on ground balls.

BTW, "hustle" rivals "chemistry" as a characteristic that makes fans feel good but produces few real dividends in baseball.

Rich
04-30-06, 01:05 AM

Why? He often doesn't.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 01:08 AM
Why? He often doesn't.As I said, I concede that point in the field. See my post above.

Rich
04-30-06, 01:14 AM
As I said, I concede that point in the field. See my post above.

I'm tired of his attitude, and would like to trade him.

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 01:15 AM
As I said, I concede that point in the field. See my post above.

The only reason he collided with Hillenbrand is because Hillenbrand dove for the errant throw. Sheff is thrown out if Hill makes a clean throw. Also, Hillenbrand took out Sheffield by the knees because he dove for it. Just because Sheff collided with Hillenbrand doesn't mean he was hustling.

I think Sheff will sit tomorrow and DH against Boston.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 01:17 AM
The only reason he collided with Hillenbrand is because Hillenbrand dove for the errant throw. Sheff is thrown out if Hill makes a clean throw. Also, Hillenbrand took out Sheffield by the knees because he dove for it. Just because Sheff collided with Hillenbrand doesn't mean he was hustling.

I think Sheff will sit tomorrow and DH against Boston.Please review the tape. He was very safe.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 01:21 AM
I'm tired of his attitude, and would like to trade him.I have, and always will, support the trade of any player, if that trade benefits the Yankees (and isn't done just to punish someone or make fans feel better).

That, BTW, includes everybody on our organizational roster (from prospects to Jeter and Mo) if the deal is right.

Honestly, they are all pretty much chess pieces to me.

flymick24
04-30-06, 01:30 AM
I'm tired of his attitude, and would like to trade him.

too bad he's so integral to our offense.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 01:37 AM

.I just saw this for the tenth time on Sportscenter. The ball is at least two feet from Hillenbrand's mit when Sheff is on the bag.
I hope that you are not an umpire. (Actually, you might fit right in ;) :P :D )

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 01:40 AM
I just saw this for the tenth time on Sportscenter. The ball is at least two feet from Hillenbrand's mit when Sheff is on the bag.
I hope that you are not an umpire. (Actually, you might fit right in ;))

I saw the game. Sheffield hit a similar ball early in the game and almost was thrown out. Sheffield colliding with someone who jumped in front of him is not an automatic example of hustle. I love Sheff, but he dogs it out there most of the time.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 01:48 AM
I saw the game. Sheffield hit a similar ball early in the game and almost was thrown out. Sheffield colliding with someone who jumped in front of him is not an automatic example of hustle. I love Sheff, but he dogs it out there most of the time.He was 3/3 with a walk so I'm not sure what play you were speaking of.

As I said above, I concede that he takes it easy (so did Reggie), but as I also said above, "hustle" along with "chemistry" add up to very very little in baseball unless they are accompanied by prodigious talent.

With Gary we get two of the three. His teammates (everywhere he has been) love him. He is very productive at the plate, and he, occasionally fails to run out a ground ball.

I'll take the mix everyday unless you can present a real (not hypothetical) trade that makes sense.

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 01:56 AM
I don't want Sheffield to be traded. I actually want the Yankees to exercise his option. Reggie was known as a hot dog to everyone that knew him, so comparing him to Sheffield isn't a good decision if you're trying to sell the idea of Sheffield hustling.

I'm certainly not mentioning the team chemistry theory, but hustle IS important. Hustle wins and loses games.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 02:04 AM
if you're trying to sell the idea of Sheffield hustling.

I'm certainly not mentioning the team chemistry theory, but hustle IS important. Hustle wins and loses games.I'm really not trying to sell anything (I am much more persuasive when I'm selling ;)).

All I'm saying is that what you get with Sheff is what you get.
-Awsome production
-A great teammate (as documented by those who play with him)
-A guy who should take notes from Jeter on managing his relationship with the media.
-A guy who sometimes doesn't hustle on meaningless grounders or in the field.

I'll take it all day over a hustling player with less talent.

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 02:10 AM
I am not talking about meaningless grounders. And if he doesn't hustle on 'meaningless grounders' what happens if the ball is booted? He gets thrown out and looks like a moron for not running to first base and hurts the team. Sheffield has taken notes from Jeter on how to handle the media and once he is in a circumstance that isn't good, he throws them to the dogs(see the trade rumors last year and his reaction to the option situation during ST).

Rich
04-30-06, 04:08 AM
too bad he's so integral to our offense.

He's likely gone after this season anyway. I'm willing to take the short-term hit.

Jerkface
04-30-06, 04:16 AM
He's likely gone after this season anyway. I'm willing to take the short-term hit.

Moose and Randy aren't.

Willing to take the short-term hit that is!

Rich
04-30-06, 04:27 AM
Moose and Randy aren't.

Willing to take the short-term hit that is!

The get paid to play with whomever the team puts out on the field.

LuckyLopez
04-30-06, 04:28 AM
I am not talking about meaningless grounders. And if he doesn't hustle on 'meaningless grounders' what happens if the ball is booted? He gets thrown out and looks like a moron for not running to first base and hurts the team.
Agreed. Its tough to grade a "meaningless grounder" unless you're doing it after the fact. A slow grounder in a hole that he might be able to beat out for an infield single is one thing. But a liner at someone that COULD result in a botched play or a bad throw isn't inherrently meaningless. IF Sheffield makes a decision between the two (and I personally believe he does) than that seems like a real flaw.

stupidpunchline
04-30-06, 04:33 AM
I imagine we'll see a lineup like this tomorrow against the lefty Chacin

CF Damon
SS Jeter
3B Rodriguez
DH Giambi
LF Matsui
C Posada
RF Williams
2B Cano
1B Phillips

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 04:45 AM
Honestly, what I really don't get here is the love for a guy like Phillips who has contributed nothing to the major league Yankees, and the hatred for Sheff, who has done nothing but produce as advertised (in spite of injuries that would DL most major leaguers on multi-year deals). It boggles my mind.

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 05:29 AM
Phillips gets love because he has annihilated minor league pitching for years now. It's obvious he is on his way out, but it is still frustrating. He doesn't get the chance to help the team out at all. When he does get put in, it's during meaningless blow outs. It's stupid that someone who Gene Michael said could play a Kevin Millar type role on our team is just being sat on the bench while Bernie Williams produces automatic outs.

SoCal Pinstriper
04-30-06, 05:37 AM
Phillips gets love because he has annihilated minor league pitching for years now. It's obvious he is on his way out, but it is still frustrating. He doesn't get the chance to help the team out at all. When he does get put in, it's during meaningless blow outs. It's stupid that someone who Gene Michael said could play a Kevin Millar type role on our team is just being sat on the bench while Bernie Williams produces automatic outs.
And yet someone who produced in for the American League New York Yankees at this level last season,
The Hardball Times' 2005 Win Shares AL

<table class="main"><tbody><tr><th>Rank</th> <th>League (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=league&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>First (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=firstName&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Last Name (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=lastName&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Team (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=team&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Position (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=pos&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Batting (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=bat&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Pitching (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=pitch&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Fielding (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=field&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>ExpWS (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=expWS&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>WSP (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=WSP&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>WSAB (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=WSAB&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>Total WS (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=total&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th><th>CWS (http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?sort=cws&sort2=WSAB&limit1=&limit2=&leagueLimit=AL)</th></tr> <tr style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">1</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">A</td> <td>Rodriguez (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Rodriguez&firstName=A)</td> <td class="tdcenter">NYA</td> <td class="tdcenter">3B</td> <td class="tdcenter">33.3</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">3.3</td> <td class="tdcenter">19</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.989</td> <td class="tdcenter">24</td> <td class="tdcenter">37</td> <td class="tdcenter">318</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(229, 229, 229) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">2</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">M</td> <td>Ramirez (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Ramirez&firstName=M)</td> <td class="tdcenter">BOS</td> <td class="tdcenter">OF</td> <td class="tdcenter">30.9</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">2.9</td> <td class="tdcenter">17</td> <td class="tdcenter">1.018</td> <td class="tdcenter">22</td> <td class="tdcenter">34</td> <td class="tdcenter">310</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">3</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">D</td> <td>Ortiz (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Ortiz&firstName=D)</td> <td class="tdcenter">BOS</td> <td class="tdcenter">1B</td> <td class="tdcenter">31.4</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.2</td> <td class="tdcenter">14</td> <td class="tdcenter">1.149</td> <td class="tdcenter">22</td> <td class="tdcenter">31</td> <td class="tdcenter">108</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(229, 229, 229) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">4</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">G</td> <td>Sheffield (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Sheffield&firstName=G)</td> <td class="tdcenter">NYA</td> <td class="tdcenter">OF</td> <td class="tdcenter">30.5</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">2.2</td> <td class="tdcenter">17</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.978</td> <td class="tdcenter">21</td> <td class="tdcenter">33</td> <td class="tdcenter">401</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">5</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">M</td> <td>Teixeira (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Teixeira&firstName=M)</td> <td class="tdcenter">TEX</td> <td class="tdcenter">1B</td> <td class="tdcenter">29.1</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">3.3</td> <td class="tdcenter">18</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.884</td> <td class="tdcenter">20</td> <td class="tdcenter">32</td> <td class="tdcenter">69</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(229, 229, 229) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">6</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">T</td> <td>Hafner (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Hafner&firstName=T)</td> <td class="tdcenter">CLE</td> <td class="tdcenter">1B</td> <td class="tdcenter">26.8</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">11</td> <td class="tdcenter">1.190</td> <td class="tdcenter">19</td> <td class="tdcenter">27</td> <td class="tdcenter">56</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">7</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">B</td> <td>Roberts (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Roberts&firstName=B)</td> <td class="tdcenter">BAL</td> <td class="tdcenter">2B</td> <td class="tdcenter">23.5</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">5.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">16</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.873</td> <td class="tdcenter">17</td> <td class="tdcenter">28</td> <td class="tdcenter">63</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(229, 229, 229) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">8</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">J</td> <td>Giambi (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Giambi&firstName=J)</td> <td class="tdcenter">NYA</td> <td class="tdcenter">1B</td> <td class="tdcenter">24.5</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.6</td> <td class="tdcenter">12</td> <td class="tdcenter">1.016</td> <td class="tdcenter">16</td> <td class="tdcenter">25</td> <td class="tdcenter">261</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">9</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">M</td> <td>Buehrle (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Buehrle&firstName=M)</td> <td class="tdcenter">CHA</td> <td class="tdcenter">SP</td> <td class="tdcenter">-0.1</td> <td class="tdcenter">23.2</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">13</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.922</td> <td class="tdcenter">16</td> <td class="tdcenter">23</td> <td class="tdcenter">94</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(229, 229, 229) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td class="tdcenter">10</td> <td class="tdcenter">AL</td> <td class="tdcenter">V</td> <td>Guerrero (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?lastName=Guerrero&firstName=V)</td> <td class="tdcenter">LAA</td> <td class="tdcenter">OF</td> <td class="tdcenter">24.5</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.0</td> <td class="tdcenter">2.3</td> <td class="tdcenter">15</td> <td class="tdcenter">0.893</td> <td class="tdcenter">16</td> <td class="tdcenter">27</td> <td class="tdcenter">222</td></tr></tbody></table>
is some one that we expend so much negative energy on because he might not run out a meaningless grounder.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/winshares/index.php?search=&linesToDisplay=100&sort=total&sort2=WSAB&limit1=Team&limit2=Position&leagueLimit=AL

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 05:39 AM
Again, what is a meaningless ground ball? If Sheffield hits a routine ground ball to short and the guy bobbles the ball or boots it, he can make it to 1B safely if he's running it out. If he dogs it, he can be thrown out on what should've been a reached on fielding error. Is it really too much to ask that he runs out grounders for the money he makes? Nobody is doubting Sheffield's offensive production. They're doubting his piss poor attitude for what he is being paid to do: play a sub par RF and mash homers for us. Is that really so stressful that you can't run out a grounder to 3B with the bases loaded, 2 outs in the 9th inning against TB?

LuckyLopez
04-30-06, 06:07 AM
ryan already covered a lot of what I'd say...

Phillips and Sheffield aren't linked. And I say this as someone who is NOT a Phillips fan and who would not shed a single tear if he were to be demoted today. But Phillips is a (relatively) young player who has succeeded at the levels he's been given time at but who has never really been given a chance at the major league level. Sheffield is a veteran star who has a history of bad behavior/attitude that goes with his good production. Phillips is more closesly tied to a Williams or Cairo in terms of giving a chance to a young player over a veteran who's worth is probably established. I don't think anyone argues Phillips over Sheffield.

And really, I can appreciate that people like Sheffield and if you feel he never dogs any groundballs than that's a different debate. But if the debate is hanging on him only dogging "meaningless" grounders than I don't see the arguement. Because a grounder is only made meaningless once the play is made.

Minime
04-30-06, 09:55 AM
Exactly. This needs to happen. Sheff grounds into too many plays for him to be in the 3 hole, especially when Giambi is hitting and walking as well as he is right now. In addition to that, the 3 and 4 holes are gonna be where it's most likely that you have a RISP, which means that they can't shift on Giambi, which greatly raises his average. Let's hope that when Sheff returns he'll be batting 5th where he should be.

SassySelective1
04-30-06, 03:07 PM
OH NO
From Rotoworld
Sorry if this has already been posted didnt see it.

ESPN is reporting that Gary Sheffield has been sent for more tests on his injured left hand. The Yankees fear he's suffered a broken hamate bone.

A broken hamate bone is usually a four- to six-week injury and could result in a loss of power after he returns. At the moment, Sheffield remains listed as day-to-day. Apr. 30 - 2:04 pm et
Source: ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2427884)

ryanm1058123
04-30-06, 03:18 PM
Well.. the best I can say here is if this is true.. they would call Melky up, and if he does well, after Sheff backs they can start him at RF then DFA Bernie

Dr. Gonzo
04-30-06, 03:18 PM
i know it will never happen with bernie here,

but if sheff is out for a while, i would like to wsee melky back up and play rf

Darth_Takeo
04-30-06, 03:32 PM
So how long is he out with a broken hamate if that's the case?... 4-6 weeks? longer? shorter?

ppa79
04-30-06, 03:35 PM
OH NO
From Rotoworld
Sorry if this has already been posted didnt see it.

ESPN is reporting that Gary Sheffield has been sent for more tests on his injured left hand. The Yankees fear he's suffered a broken hamate bone.

A broken hamate bone is usually a four- to six-week injury and could result in a loss of power after he returns. At the moment, Sheffield remains listed as day-to-day. Apr. 30 - 2:04 pm et
Source: ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2427884)

This sucks. :( The only positive I can see out of this is that the Yankees will probably bring up Melky since he is playing great in AAA.

ppa79
04-30-06, 03:36 PM
i know it will never happen with bernie here,

but if sheff is out for a while, i would like to wsee melky back up and play rf

If Melky is up, he better be playing everyday in RF and DH should be rotating with Phillips, Giambi, Matsui, and Bernie.

obsessedyankeefan
04-30-06, 03:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjvSV4xVQsUh5SA4mjeSu94RvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-sheffieldout&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sheffield was examined Sunday by team physician Stuart Hershon. An MRI revealed no additional injuries, and the right fielder was day to day with a bruised left wrist.

Wouldn't an MRI show a broken bone if indeed it was broken? :dunno:

38Special
04-30-06, 03:42 PM
the ESPN report is wrong. Theyve already said multiple times that he was checked by the doctor and had the MRI

JeffWeaverFan
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjvSV4xVQsUh5SA4mjeSu94RvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-sheffieldout&prov=ap&type=lgns

It is a hairline fracture and is often issed in MRI's... Hopefully this is not the case.

ppa79

Put him on the 15 day DL, no need to make it worse. Bring up Melky and lets see what he can do.

Davios
04-30-06, 03:43 PM
Rotoworld has a new update, at times it can't be totally reliable because it updates all news and rumors from major outlets like ESPN in this case.

Here it is,

An MRI of Gary Sheffield's left hand came back negative, and he remains listed as day-to-day with a bruise.
Sheffield also has a bruised right knee. It might be that he'll miss a few more days, but fantasy leaguers will likely want to keep him active this week.

Spiker101
04-30-06, 03:45 PM
Rotoworld has a new update, at times it can't be totally reliable because it updates all news and rumors from major outlets like ESPN in this case.

Here it is,

An MRI of Gary Sheffield's left hand came back negative, and he remains listed as day-to-day with a bruise.
Sheffield also has a bruised right knee. It might be that he'll miss a few more days, but fantasy leaguers will likely want to keep him active this week.

Great news. If true.

NYYRoadFan
04-30-06, 03:47 PM
Hope we don't lose Sheff for any extended amount of time.

obsessedyankeefan
04-30-06, 03:48 PM

Here it is,

Good news if this is the case. These outlets really need to get their facts straight.

parkerstrong
04-30-06, 04:11 PM
This may be the break (no pun intended) for Torre to move Giambi to the 3rd spot in the order finally. I have been calling for it since the beginning of the year....Giambi leads the league in RBI's right now and with Damon and Jeter directly in front of him he can be even better.

However, I really hope Shef isnt hurt and can return sooner rather than later.

Dr. Gonzo
04-30-06, 04:17 PM
i know it is stupid but i wouldn't mind him on the 15 dl, and that is it.

i would like to see melky again,

but if they will just put bernie out there I hope he is back tomorrow

Yankeeah
04-30-06, 04:33 PM
i know it is stupid but i wouldn't mind him on the 15 dl, and that is it.

i would like to see melky again,

but if they will just put bernie out there I hope he is back tomorrow

I'd rather (and imagine) they would call up KT ahead of Melky.

Davios
04-30-06, 04:34 PM
Torre just said EVERYTHING is fine following the additional tests they ran on Gary today.

Jaeho
04-30-06, 05:31 PM
Hope we don't lose Sheff for any extended amount of time.
No we will be fine. Sheffield is a dog who never hustles and is bringing this team down. He is not a "True Yankee" and never drives in runs or crashes into fences. We have Andy "Superman" Phillips to fill the void. I expect at least 40 homeruns from him the rest of the way. He has the heart of a champion and a vast knowledge of triple AAA pitching. Melky will come up and hit .750. Sheffield is meaningless. He stinks! Blah, blah, blah.

SheffRocks11
04-30-06, 05:51 PM
Torre just said EVERYTHING is fine following the additional tests they ran on Gary today.

good to hear! :)

hardrain
04-30-06, 07:00 PM
I hope Sheff gets the rest he needs...we need him for the longhaul

ericns1
04-30-06, 07:07 PM
I will take the good news from Torre and not pay attention to ESPN

jimmykey2
04-30-06, 07:15 PM

Weird. After the game, Torre said all the tests they ran came back fine and the timetable for Sheff to return would depend on when he felt strong enough to hold/swing the bat. Later on ESPN, they said the Yanks were sending him for more tests. Huh?

JfromJersey
04-30-06, 07:20 PM
Weird. After the game, Torre said all the tests they ran came back fine and the timetable for Sheff to return would depend on when he felt strong enough to hold/swing the bat. Later on ESPN, they said the Yanks were sending him for more tests. Huh?

Who are you going to believe?

JeffWeaverFan
04-30-06, 07:52 PM
This may be the break (no pun intended) for Torre to move Giambi to the 3rd spot in the order finally. I have been calling for it since the beginning of the year....Giambi leads the league in RBI's right now and with Damon and Jeter directly in front of him he can be even better.

However, I really hope Shef isnt hurt and can return sooner rather than later.
Yes. Did anyone else notice what happened with Giambi late in the game today when he hit his 2 run HR? He was FACING A RIGHTY! That neer happens late in close games when the opposing team has a lefty pitcher. What we saw today when Giambi come up was an opposing manager not wanting to bring in his lefty yet with the righy-hitting A-Rod on deck. So, he kept in his righty pitcher for A-Rod, before going to the lefty to face Matsui, and look what happened...

This is why the batting order has to change. So that it creates matchup problems for opposing managers.

apolansk
04-30-06, 07:56 PM
Yes. Did anyone else notice what happened with Giambi late in the game today when he hit his 2 run HR? He was FACING A RIGHTY! That neer happens late in close games when the opposing team has a lefty pitcher. What we saw today when Giambi come up was an opposing manager not wanting to bring in his lefty yet with the righy-hitting A-Rod on deck. So, he kept in his righty pitcher for A-Rod, before going to the lefty to face Matsui, and look what happened...

This is why the batting order has to change. So that it creates matchup problems for opposing managers.

I think that was the matchup that Toronto wanted against Giambi, he was 0-12 for his career before the HR against that pitcher.

JeffWeaverFan
04-30-06, 08:00 PM
I think that was the matchup that Toronto wanted against Giambi, he was 0-12 for his career before the HR against that pitcher.
That's true. But still, this is the kind of thing we will see lots of by going R, L, R, L in our 3-6 spots. And I think we can all agree that that is a good thing.

mr G
04-30-06, 08:06 PM
good point, but he was 0/12 against the guy, of course his 0 fer' probably came from last year, when giambi was 0 fer', almost everything !!!

Davios
04-30-06, 08:14 PM
Olney says that Sheff probably won't play against Boston. Bad news for anybody putting alot of importance on winning this two game series.

38Special
04-30-06, 08:19 PM
Olney says that Sheff probably won't play against Boston. Bad news for anybody putting alot of importance on winning this two game series.

I'm glad that he thinks that he PROBABLY won't play. We can pencil him in now.

JeffWeaverFan
04-30-06, 08:29 PM
good point, but he was 0/12 against the guy, of course his 0 fer' probably came from last year, when giambi was 0 fer', almost everything !!!
Yes. But the point holds up for all these situations in other games. The manager can either bring in a lefty to face Giambi and then have to keep him in for A-Rod, or keep the righty in to face Giambi. Or, if you bat A-Rod 3rd, Giambi 4th, and Sheff 5th, then, well, the same thing happens. You either bring in the lefty to face Giambi and keep him in for Sheff or wait until Matsui gets up to bat and Giambi faces the righty.

ryanthe13th
04-30-06, 09:13 PM
No we will be fine. Sheffield is a dog who never hustles and is bringing this team down. He is not a "True Yankee" and never drives in runs or crashes into fences. We have Andy "Superman" Phillips to fill the void. I expect at least 40 homeruns from him the rest of the way. He has the heart of a champion and a vast knowledge of triple AAA pitching. Melky will come up and hit .750. Sheffield is meaningless. He stinks! Blah, blah, blah.

Way to ignore the fact that people have stated how valuable Sheffield is to the team despite his lack of hustle and go to a completely unrelated subject in Andy Phillips.

Rich
05-04-06, 12:24 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/sports/baseball/04pins.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

SHEFFIELD'S WRIST IMPROVES, BUT... Gary Sheffield (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/gary_sheffield/index.html?inline=nyt-per) said his bruised left wrist improved significantly with treatment Wednesday. Sheffield has not played since injuring the wrist Saturday, but he is taking swings off a tee and could take batting practice on Thursday.

A note of caution: Sheffield hurt the same wrist when he played for Atlanta in 2002, and the injury limited his power.

"I hit 25 home runs that year," said Sheffield, who has averaged 36 in the three years since. "I still hit .300 and drove in runs, but my power wasn't there because I was favoring it. But at the same time, I got the job done. That's what I'm looking to do no

knickfan23
05-04-06, 12:37 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/04/sports/baseball/04pins.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

SHEFFIELD'S WRIST IMPROVES, BUT... Gary Sheffield (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/gary_sheffield/index.html?inline=nyt-per) said his bruised left wrist improved significantly with treatment Wednesday. Sheffield has not played since injuring the wrist Saturday, but he is taking swings off a tee and could take batting practice on Thursday.

A note of caution: Sheffield hurt the same wrist when he played for Atlanta in 2002, and the injury limited his power.

"I hit 25 home runs that year," said Sheffield, who has averaged 36 in the three years since. "I still hit .300 and drove in runs, but my power wasn't there because I was favoring it. But at the same time, I got the job done. That's what I'm looking to do no

So will he swallow some pride and hit the ball to right field instead of trying to jack everything to left field?

And it looks like he was able to duck Chris House for this 1st Fenway matchup. Hopefully, the two will be accquainted in two weeks.

JeffWeaverFan
05-04-06, 12:44 AM
I just want his OBP relative to his BA go up... I also hope that either our batting lineup can be A-Rod, Giambi, Sheff, Matsui or Giambi, A-Rod, Sheff, Matsui. Either way, at this point, Giambi has to bat ahead of Sheff.

Bob Saccomano
05-04-06, 12:46 AM
So will he swallow some pride and hit the ball to right field instead of trying to jack everything to left field?

And it looks like he was able to duck Chris House for this 1st Fenway matchup. Hopefully, the two will be accquainted in two weeks.

I hope that he doesn't keep trying to swing for the fences if his power isn't there. He can still be a very good hitter, maybe a little lower in the order.

Also, who's Chris House?

ShaneTravis
05-04-06, 09:29 AM
http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1146721595263090.xml&coll=1

Sheffield seems close to return
Gary Sheffield said his sore left wrist was much improved yesterday and said it is possible he could return to the lineup today.

"I'm encouraged big-time from (Tuesday)," Sheffield said. "I couldn't even pick up a bat and hold it. "If I can take BP (batting practice), I'm playing -- that's how I always feel. ... I know how to deal with a little pain and still play. I just want to be able to catch up to good fast balls and not think about it. If I can do that, I'll be fine."

mycroft
05-04-06, 02:13 PM
I hope that he doesn't keep trying to swing for the fences if his power isn't there. He can still be a very good hitter, maybe a little lower in the order.

Also, who's Chris House?

Shef has been going to right and center more this year than I can remember. I think his good start is attributed to this change, he needs to keep it up and not over swing so much. Hopefully this doesn't doesn't slow him down. I would rather he sit out until he is 100%.

Kluivert4Ever
05-04-06, 04:22 PM
This team needs Sheff, he better be back soon.

bostonyankeefan
05-04-06, 04:28 PM

Also, who's Chris House?

The clown who took a cheap shot at Sheff from the stands at Fenway last year. He lost his tickets as a result of the incident.

I hope that Sheff returns soon. The way that Jason is hitting, I like him in the 3 hole in the lineup

Kluivert4Ever
05-04-06, 04:31 PM
I hope that Sheff returns soon. The way that Jason is hitting, I like him in the 3 hole in the lineup

Yes, Giambi at third and Sheff at five is the way to go.

Sam18
05-04-06, 04:46 PM

Agreed.

Bob Saccomano
05-05-06, 03:09 AM
The clown who took a cheap shot at Sheff from the stands at Fenway last year. He lost his tickets as a result of the incident.

Ah, thanks. Never caught his name before, but I know the incident you're talking about :).

AMYanks
05-05-06, 02:17 PM

It's definitely the way to go, but I can't see it happening.

Kluivert4Ever
05-05-06, 03:31 PM
It's definitely the way to go, but I can't see it happening.

I cant understand how Torre does not see it.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-06, 08:39 PM
Probably won't be back until the Boston series...

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/includes/topblurbs.asp?sport=MLB

Kluivert4Ever
05-06-06, 08:43 PM
Probably won't be back until the Boston series...

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/includes/topblurbs.asp?sport=MLB

Well as long as he is healthy then.
I want Beckett to face our strongest lineup on tuesday.

38Special
05-06-06, 09:50 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060506&content_id=1440724&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

ARLINGTON -- Gary Sheffield was a late scratch from Saturday's lineup, and although Joe Torre hopes to have the slugger back in the lineup by Tuesday, Sheffield is preparing himself for a possible trip the disabled list.

"We'll see," Sheffield said when asked about the DL. "Based on right now, that's probably what I'll have to do."

Sheffield missed four games after injuring his left wrist in a collision with Toronto first baseman Shea Hillenbrand last Saturday. He pinch-hit and played three innings on Thursday, going 1-for-1 with a walk, but he went 0-for-5 on Friday after starting in right field.

"I didn't take really aggressive swings except for one at-bat, and it didn't feel too good," Sheffield said. "I always believe I can play through anything, but if I don't have my wrists, I'm no good to the team. ... My wrists are my bread and butter. If I don't have that, I'm pretty much useless."

Sounds like it might be Melky or KT time

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-06-06, 10:04 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060506&content_id=1440724&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Sounds like it might be Melky or KT time

They'd serve more use on this team than Bernie, Crosby, or Cairo...

ericns1
05-06-06, 10:04 PM
Which one would be better to bring up if need be?

38Special
05-06-06, 10:11 PM
In the end it may not be a bad thing

A) Sheff gets to rest his wrists
B) KT or Melky comes up
C) If they do well (and they WILL!), they won't be able to send them down once Sheff comes back, so Bubba will be gone :)

Spiker101
05-06-06, 10:25 PM
In the end it may not be a bad thing

A) Sheff gets to rest his wrists
B) KT or Melky comes up
C) If they do well (and they WILL!), they won't be able to send them down once Sheff comes back, so Bubba will be gone :)

You know these guys. Which of Melky or Thompson is the better centerfielder, because this will be the end of the line for Bubba and I don't want to see the Yanks repeat the mistake the Sox made last year of having to run Damon out there night after night when he was aching and badly needed a rest.

38Special
05-06-06, 10:31 PM
You know these guys. Which of Melky or Thompson is the better centerfielder, because this will be the end of the line for Bubba and I don't want to see the Yanks repeat the mistake the Sox made last year of having to run Damon out there night after night when he was aching and badly needed a rest.

Melky is the better CF, but Thompson has alot more practice in the corners, which is what we would have to fill

Spiker101
05-06-06, 10:41 PM
Melky is the better CF, but Thompson has alot more practice in the corners, which is what we would have to fill

The problem is that you have to have a guy who can play centerfield ... unless you want to put Bernie out there. Do you?:D

kan_t
05-06-06, 10:44 PM
I'm afraid that Bernie will be the RF when Sheff is placed on DL, and Melky or Thompson will be sitting on the bench for 2 weeks.

38Special
05-06-06, 10:44 PM
Thompson can play CF, i'm just saying Melky is better

Spiker101
05-06-06, 10:51 PM
Thompson can play CF, i'm just saying Melky is better

I got you. I don't necessarily trust minor league numbers, but Thompson is intriguing to me because of his ability on the basepaths. but either is fine with me. Time for Bubba to go. And if Bernie doesn't start elevating the ball, it might be time ...

Spiker101
05-06-06, 10:53 PM
I'm afraid that Bernie will be the RF when Sheff is placed on DL, and Melky or Thompson will be sitting on the bench for 2 weeks.

I don't think there's a bigger Bernie fan around here, but my man has no business being in the outfield. If either of the two come up and are not used, then maybe I'll join the anti-Joe chorus.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 07:28 AM
If Sheffield is headed for the DL then I think Cashman is going to bring up Melky and have him play RF everyday which will leave Bernie at DH.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/415591p-351191c.html

gdn
05-07-06, 07:31 AM
Oh boy. I can just see it now. Melky back up for the Red Sox series.

yankeebot
05-07-06, 07:33 AM
Assuming Sheff goes on the DL and Melky or KT come up, what makes you all think Torre will not just go with Bubba or Bernie and have the young guy ride the bench?

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 07:44 AM
Assuming Sheff goes on the DL and Melky or KT come up, what makes you all think Torre will not just go with Bubba or Bernie and have the young guy ride the bench?
Because Torre and Cashman will sit down like they did last May and decide to play Cabrera everyday like they did with Cano, though, it will be for an abbreviated time unlike last May. Call me a dreamer, but I don't think Torre makes his playing decisions in a vacuum nor do I think Cashman operates his roster decisions without Torre's input. I might be wrong which I've been many times before, but I expect an organizational decison to be made to address this situation.

Also, this is a perfect situation to see if Melky has overcome his nerves from last season without putting too much pressure on him. They need to evaluate whether he is tradebait or an alternative for 2007.

I expect several people to disagree with me which is fine and dandy, but I'm still very curious how the Yankees will handle this situation. It could possibly tell us more than some of us ever expected.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 07:47 AM
Oh boy. I can just see it now. Melky back up for the Red Sox series.
However, he'll be playing at Yankee Stadium for 10 days or so before going to Shea and Fenway. He might only play one game at Fenway before Sheffield is activated again and it probably won't be in CF.

YankeePride1967
05-07-06, 08:03 AM
I am going to wait and see, first if Shef goes on the DL, second who comes up and third, who plays the OF before killing Joe for a decision that hasn't been made yet.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 08:11 AM
I am going to wait and see, first if Shef goes on the DL, second who comes up and third, who plays the OF before killing Joe for a decision that hasn't been made yet.
Some of the answers to your questions we might know by tomorrow night because we can see which Columbus outfielder isn't in the lineup for their 7:00 p.m. game.

Also, we need to take what Sheffied says with a grain of salt because he is so reactionary with his comments depending on his mood and frustration level.

YankeePride1967
05-07-06, 08:43 AM
Some of the answers to your questions we might know by tomorrow night because we can see which Columbus outfielder isn't in the lineup for their 7:00 p.m. game.

Also, we need to take what Sheffied says with a grain of salt because he is so reactionary with his comments depending on his mood and frustration level.

Exactly. While I doubt he'd play today, it wouldn't surprise me to see #11 in RF Tuesday.

SoCal Pinstriper
05-07-06, 10:43 AM
Also, this is a perfect situation to see if Melky has overcome his nerves from last season without putting too much pressure on him. They need to evaluate whether he is tradebait or an alternative for 2007.

Agreed. I'd rather see Sheff well enough to play, but if he is too hurt to produce, it would be great to take another look at Cabrera against big league pitching.

38Special
05-07-06, 01:04 PM
Reese, KT, and Melky are all in the lineup in Columbus today

Kulish29
05-07-06, 01:07 PM
If Sheffield is headed for the DL then I think Cashman is going to bring up Melky and have him play RF everyday which will leave Bernie at DH.

I really hope so. If they call up Melky and Joe puts Bernie in RF, I'll be very pissed. Bernie should never play RF. Actually, he shouldn't play in the field at all anymore.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:20 PM
Reese, KT, and Melky are all in the lineup in Columbus today
Tomorrow night is the day to watch, but only if Sheffield is DL. I would think the Yankees will have Sheffield see the doctor tomorrow morning.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:21 PM
I really hope so. If they call up Melky and Joe puts Bernie in RF, I'll be very pissed. Bernie should never play RF. Actually, he shouldn't play in the field at all anymore.
I would be very pissed too at Torre and at Cashman for letting him do that!

mr G
05-07-06, 01:31 PM

"..........cashman is going to bring up melky and have him play RF......" ???
since when is cash putting the players on the field ???

Kulish29
05-07-06, 01:35 PM
"..........cashman is going to bring up melky and have him play RF......" ???
since when is cash putting the players on the field ???

Cashman is the GM. He makes the decisions on who gets called up.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:39 PM
Torre just stated on the pre-game that if Sheffield has to go on the DL that the Yankees have some players playing well below and that one them can help this team if necessary. I wouldn't doubt that Cashman and Torre are already talking about which player. Please, let it be Melky and they need to play him everyday out in RF.

mr G
05-07-06, 01:41 PM
Cashman is the GM. He makes the decisions on who gets called up.

true, but not on who plays !!!:P

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:43 PM
true, but not on who plays !!!:P
If you think that Torre makes those decisions in a vacuum without any input from Cashman then you're underestimating the working relationship between Cashman and Torre. The same applies to whatever ML roster moves Cashman makes during the season and offseason.

Also, don't ignore this post I've made this morning.

Because Torre and Cashman will sit down like they did last May and decide to play Cabrera everyday like they did with Cano, though, it will be for an abbreviated time unlike last May. Call me a dreamer, but I don't think Torre makes his playing decisions in a vacuum nor do I think Cashman operates his roster decisions without Torre's input. I might be wrong which I've been many times before, but I expect an organizational decision to be made to address this situation.

I expect several people to disagree with me which is fine and dandy, but I'm still very curious how the Yankees will handle this situation. It could possibly tell us more than some of us ever expected.

mr G
05-07-06, 01:46 PM
If you think that Torre makes those decisions in a vacuum without any input from Cashman then you're underestimating the working relationship between Cashman and Torre. The same applies to whatever ML roster moves Cashman makes during the season and offseason.

Also, don't ignore this post I've made this morning.

i would think so, but ,joe makes the final decision , not cash !!!

38Special
05-07-06, 01:46 PM
I agree with that post completely

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:48 PM
i would think so, but ,joe makes the final decision , not cash !!!
Not necessarily, organizational goals sometimes determines which player plays in the field like showcasing a player for a possible trade.

mr G
05-07-06, 01:49 PM
the post i commented on said ......"..........cashman is going to bring up melky and have him play RF......" ???

that's not true, joe will make the final decision, with input from cash and maybe his coaching staff !

mr G
05-07-06, 01:51 PM
Not necessarily, organizational goals sometimes determines which player plays in the field like showcasing a player for a possible trade.

so are they "showcasing" melky , or bringing him up to replace sheff ???

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:51 PM
the post i commented on said ......"..........cashman is going to bring up melky and have him play RF......" ???

that's not true, joe will make the final decision, with input from cash and maybe his coaching staff !
I've made a lot of posts on this subject matter this morning so just don't cherry pick one comment without taking in consideration my other comments.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 01:52 PM
so are they "showcasing" melky , or bringing him up to replace sheff ???
I see that you just want to argue. Bye, bye!

mr G
05-07-06, 01:55 PM
bye !!! enjoy the game !!!

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 02:04 PM
Melky is 1-1 so far today with a sac fly. He's currently batting .374, if he does come up, it won't be to sit on the bench.

ppa79
05-07-06, 02:07 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

mr G
05-07-06, 02:07 PM
Melky is 1-1 so far today with a sac fly. He's currently batting .374, if he does come up, it won't be to sit on the bench.

nothing wrong with that, but joe, not cash will make the "on field decisions" !!!

ppa79
05-07-06, 02:09 PM
nothing wrong with that, but joe, not cash will make the "on field decisions" !!!

If Melky is coming up then he will start. If Reese or Thompson, since they are minor league veterans, I am not sure.

Donnybaseball72
05-07-06, 02:18 PM
When Juan Rivera was called up he started every day and rarely sat. Joe will not do the same to a top young propect like Melky.

AMYanks
05-07-06, 02:25 PM

How many times do you need to say that? Everyone understands that Torre makes the final decision, the point was that Torre will talk with Cashman, and the two will lay out a plan as to what will happen.

mr G
05-07-06, 02:26 PM
When Juan Rivera was called up he started every day and rarely sat. Joe will not do the same to a top young propect like Melky.

the key to what your saying is "joe", the poster implied , cash was making the decision to put melky in the field !!!

38Special
05-07-06, 02:27 PM
the key to what your saying is "joe", the poster implied , cash was making the decision to put melky in the field !!!

ok!!!!

mr G
05-07-06, 02:28 PM
How many times do you need to say that? Everyone understands that Torre makes the final decision, the point was that Torre will talk with Cashman, and the two will lay out a plan as to what will happen.

that's all i ever said, joe not cash ,will make the decision !!!:o

38Special
05-07-06, 03:03 PM
Bottom 7TH B:0 S:1 O:1
Kevin Thompson singles on a soft ground ball to second baseman Jeff Keppinger.

Bottom 7TH B:1 S:0 O:1
Melky Cabrera homers (4) on a line drive to right field. Kevin Thompson scores.

Cash...make the decision.

ShaneTravis
05-07-06, 03:24 PM

Pena doing anything today?

Your bet on who is getting the call, Melky or KT?
Melky has the arm for right field in Yankee stadium?

stupidpunchline
05-07-06, 03:36 PM
Pena doing anything today?

Your bet on who is getting the call, Melky or KT?
Melky has the arm for right field in Yankee stadium?

From what I remember, he has a gun.

EDIT: After two years of sparse posting, this is post #1,000

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-07-06, 03:42 PM
I don't care who comes up, but Bernie can't play the field any longer...

ShaneTravis
05-07-06, 03:51 PM
From what I remember, he has a gun.

EDIT: After two years of sparse posting, this is post #1,000

Celebrate by going to Dinasaur BBQ.

ICEBERG18
05-07-06, 04:06 PM

Melky: 2-3 HR 3RBI R

I guess he heard Sheff was hurt and might go on the DL.

Who could have thought that going into this season that Melky Cabrera and Lastings Milledge would be playing on the same level.

Rich
05-07-06, 04:08 PM
Melky: 2-3 HR 3RBI R

I guess he heard Sheff was hurt and might go on the DL.

Who could have thought that going into this season that Melky Cabrera and Lastings Milledge would be playing on the same level.

Yet Kay said that Bubba would be ahead in the pecking order of any minor leaguer called up to replace Sheff.

How does he get paid to give his opinions about baseball?

gdn
05-07-06, 04:14 PM
Yet Kay said that Bubba would be ahead in the pecking order of any minor leaguer called up to replace Sheff.

How does he get paid to give his opinions about baseball?I let out a chuckle when I heard him say that.

Dynasties R Forever
05-07-06, 05:07 PM

So do you think Joe is "showcasing"" Bernie? Because there sure isn't any other reason to have him in the field, except to try and get rid of him.

38Special
05-07-06, 05:39 PM
Here we go

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060507&content_id=1442050&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

If Gary Sheffield is forced to spend time on the disabled list, the Yankees could call up either Kevin Thompson or Melky Cabrera to take his place on the roster.

Thompson, who has been the starting right fielder for Triple-A Columbus, is hitting .286 with three home runs, nine RBIs and a team-leading 20 runs scored in 26 games. Cabrera, the Clippers' center fielder, is hitting .368 with three homers and a team-best 21 RBIs in 29 games.

"We have some players that have been playing well down below," Torre said. "If we do have to lay him up a little bit, we'll dip into our Minor League system and find a player who can come up here and have a chance to help us."

Even with Bernie Williams and Bubba Crosby on the roster, Torre could hand the starting job to one of the youngsters should Sheffield land on the DL.

"If somebody is playing every day at the Minor League level, you probably should try to play them every day here," the manager said. "We'll decide when we see who that person is."

Thank you Joe.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 05:44 PM
So do you think Joe is "showcasing"" Bernie? Because there sure isn't any other reason to have him in the field, except to try and get rid of him.
Jeez, you guys hang on every comment. That comment was simply made to illustrate that it's not always that the manager that has the final word on who's playing. I didn't say it was applicable in this particular situation, but was used as example when organizations make a group decision as to playing time.

AMYanks
05-07-06, 05:44 PM
Here we go

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060507&content_id=1442050&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Thank you Joe.

Good, maybe he won't screw this up after all.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I laughed at that comment and he should know better considering what Masse told him last season about Melky's potential.

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 05:50 PM
I implied that the organization will make this decision and that Cashman and Torre will be on the same page as to how they will proceed. If they bring up Melky, who's tearing up the International League, they're not going to sit him on the bench to vegetate in order to play Crosby or Bernie in RF.

gdn
05-07-06, 05:51 PM
Here we go

Thank you Joe.Excellent!

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 05:52 PM
Thank you!

38Special
05-07-06, 05:52 PM
I implied that the organization will make this decision and that Cashman and Torre will be on the same page as to how they will proceed. If they bring up Melky, who's tearing up the International League, they're not going to sit him on the bench to vegetate in order to play Crosby or Bernie in RF.

You don't get it, Joe makes the final decision !!!

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 05:56 PM
Right, I don't get it!!!!!

King Rhabuf
05-07-06, 05:58 PM
I don't care who comes up, but Bernie can't play the field any longer...

I agree with that.

Kluivert4Ever
05-07-06, 06:01 PM

Can Tim McCarver get paid for being an announcer you know anything is possible.

Rich
05-07-06, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I laughed at that comment and he should know better considering what Masse told him last season about Melky's potential.

The article 38Special linked provides proof that when it comes to intelligence:

Torre > Kay

Jaeho
05-07-06, 06:09 PM
The article 38Special linked provides proof that when it comes to intelligence:

Torre > Kay

A blade of grass > Kay

mr G
05-07-06, 06:13 PM

finally now you guys understand who runs the "on field" operations !!!

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 06:14 PM
finally now you guys understand who runs the "on field" operations !!!
You're a genius what can I say????

mr G
05-07-06, 06:16 PM
You're a genius what can I say????

thank you, will be enough !!!

Donnybaseball72
05-07-06, 06:17 PM
I let out a chuckle when I heard him say that.

I caught that too. Kay probably can't name more than 3 Yankee prospects.

38Special
05-07-06, 06:19 PM
I caught that too. Kay probably can't name more than 3 Yankee prospects.

Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera, Wily Mo Pena

done !!!

NelsonMuntz
05-07-06, 06:21 PM
Here we go

Thank you Joe.
Cue Blur's Song 2 :clapping: :cheer: :clapping: :cheer:

Not that I am happy about Sheff possibly going on the DL, but the silver lining is that this could be the only way to get Melky regular playing time and prove that he is ready for the show. If he performs well, he becomes our regular rightfielder and Sheff moves to DH.

iWant27
05-07-06, 06:22 PM
Sheff has started his crying . He's not gonna stop until yankees pick up his option . From that article in the yankees.com , he could have easily said the same things but using different words . From what he says , it looks like he just is not interested in helping yankees until they pick his option . He's gonna be miserable whole year .

Yankees1962
05-07-06, 06:27 PM
thank you, will be enough !!!
Except I'm not thanking you because you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know!!!

mr G
05-07-06, 06:52 PM
Except I'm not thanking you because you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know!!!

last time i point something out to you !!!:P

BombersBlvd
05-07-06, 10:43 PM
Sheff has started his crying . He's not gonna stop until yankees pick up his option . From that article in the yankees.com , he could have easily said the same things but using different words . From what he says , it looks like he just is not interested in helping yankees until they pick his option . He's gonna be miserable whole year .

Not that I think he would avoid playing even if he were healthy, but I fear you may be right. It's unfair to say it is definitely the case, but by no stretch unreasonable.

MassNYYfan
05-07-06, 11:02 PM
Here we go

Thank you Joe.
Nice. :smokin:

JDPNYY
05-07-06, 11:12 PM
Cue Blur's Song 2 :clapping: :cheer: :clapping: :cheer:

Not that I am happy about Sheff possibly going on the DL, but the silver lining is that this could be the only way to get Melky regular playing time and prove that he is ready for the show. If he performs well, he becomes our regular rightfielder and Sheff moves to DH.

I'll tell you what. If Torre is willing to play Melky (or KT) everyday, I'm actually hoping Sheff goes on the DL. It gets Sheff fully healthy and it gives a young guy a couple of weeks to show he belongs (as you said).

38Special
05-07-06, 11:14 PM
I'll tell you what. If Torre is willing to play Melky (or KT) everyday, I'm actually hoping Sheff goes on the DL. It gets Sheff fully healthy and it gives a young guy a couple of weeks to show he belongs (as you said).

and MAYBE just MAYBE...that young player does very well, Sheff is pushed to DH, and Bernie is coming off the bench

38Special
05-07-06, 11:19 PM
Just as a comparison of Melky this year and Cano last year in AAA

Melky: .376/.430/.564 - 117 AB - 10/8 BB/K - 6 2B - 2 3B - 4 HR
Cano: .333/.368/.574 - 108 AB - 6/13 BB/K - 8 2B - 3 3B - 4 HR

South Facing Epitaph
05-07-06, 11:20 PM
I'd love to see Melky given another chance, I just hope he doesn't repeat last year's performance. Nice numbers, 38 ^.

JDPNYY
05-07-06, 11:22 PM
and MAYBE just MAYBE...that young player does very well, Sheff is pushed to DH, and Bernie is coming off the bench

If I didn't make that clear, that is the exact scenario I'm hoping for... With Bubba being moved out in some way (DFAd, traded, whatever)

JDPNYY
05-07-06, 11:24 PM
Did Melky & Thompson both play today in the Clipper Game?

AMYanks
05-07-06, 11:25 PM

I believe so. We'll have to wait and see what tomorrow's Clipper lineup looks like.

38Special
05-07-06, 11:26 PM

Yep. KT went 2-4 and Melky went 2-3 with a HR

http://www.yankeesprospects.com/game_log2.php?id=180&pos=700
http://www.yankeesprospects.com/game_log2.php?id=20&pos=701

JDPNYY
05-07-06, 11:27 PM
Nevermind. They both played.

KT - 2 for 4 with a run scored.
MC - 2 for 3 with a HR and 3 RBIs

JDPNYY
05-07-06, 11:28 PM
Yep. KT went 2-4 and Melky went 2-3 with a HR

http://www.yankeesprospects.com/game_log2.php?id=180&pos=700
http://www.yankeesprospects.com/game_log2.php?id=20&pos=701

Beat me to it.

They both seem ready. Bring them both up. Play them both in the OF and DH Matsui if Sheff goes DL....

Heh.

MassNYYfan
05-07-06, 11:43 PM
"We have some players that have been playing well down below," Torre said. "If we do have to lay him up a little bit, we'll dip into our Minor League system and find a player who can come up here and have a chance to help us."

I heard Joe say that during the pre-game interview, but none of the reporters followed up by asking who they were looking at specifically. I was hoping for at least a little more than that. :(

ryanm1058123
05-08-06, 12:05 AM
I heard Joe say that during the pre-game interview, but none of the reporters followed up by asking who they were looking at specifically. I was hoping for at least a little more than that. :(

New York media reporters are the worst in the business

Rich
05-08-06, 12:19 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/08/sports/baseball/08sheffield.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Sheffield Says He Won't Play While Injured Anymore

Bernie Inferno
05-08-06, 12:23 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/08/sports/baseball/08sheffield.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Trying to play hardball with the option...

Rich
05-08-06, 12:25 AM
Trying to play hardball with the option...

Given that Giambi and Matsui are both better suited to be DHs than playing the field, I think this is Sheff's last season in pinstripes.

Kulish29
05-08-06, 12:29 AM
God I'm freakin' tired of his bull sh*t.

South Facing Epitaph
05-08-06, 12:39 AM
Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.

Bob Saccomano
05-08-06, 03:24 AM
Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.

Only if it shows us that Melky is ready to contribute offensively and defensively and that Sheff can DH for the remainder of the season. I'm hoping that Sheff can continue his production this year. He's been great for the offense thus far, averaging .290 with 35 homers per season in his time here. He's also been the best clutch hitter for the Yankees, and finished in the top 3 in MVP voting in both his seasons in pinstripes. It'll be hard to replace his bat in the lineup. It's a part of what makes the lineup so feared.

Yankees1962
05-08-06, 04:19 AM
Given that Giambi and Matsui are both better suited to be DHs than playing the field, I think this is Sheff's last season in pinstripes.
I hope so, he's a me type of guy and he doesn't belong on this team.

stupidpunchline
05-08-06, 04:32 AM
I hope so, he's a me type of guy and he doesn't belong on this team.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The Yankees wouldn't sniff the playoffs either of the last two years without him. Maybe some can't see the forest from the trees; fans of other teams view Sheffield the way we view Ortiz. I'm give you an anecdote.

My father, a die-hard Red Sox fan since 1973, and I were watching the first game of last year's July Fenway series, the game where Alex Rodriguez hit the bomb off Schilling in the ninth.

At the start of the inning, Sheffield comes to the plate and my dad has this sick look on his face. I ask him, "Dad, are you alright?" And he says, "Everytime Gary Sheffield comes up in a big spot I feel like I'm gonna ................ myself." Sure enough, Sheffield tattoos a double off the centerfield side of the monster.

If for no other reason, I love having Sheffield on this team to make my Red Sox fan father feel sick whenever he comes to the plate. It's pretty cool.

Yankees1962
05-08-06, 05:47 AM
I couldn't disagree with you more. The Yankees wouldn't sniff the playoffs either of the last two years without him. Maybe some can't see the forest from the trees; fans of other teams view Sheffield the way we view Ortiz. I'm give you an anecdote.

My father, a die-hard Red Sox fan since 1973, and I were watching the first game of last year's July Fenway series, the game where Alex Rodriguez hit the bomb off Schilling in the ninth.

At the start of the inning, Sheffield comes to the plate and my dad has this sick look on his face. I ask him, "Dad, are you alright?" And he says, "Everytime Gary Sheffield comes up in a big spot I feel like I'm gonna ................ myself." Sure enough, Sheffield tattoos a double off the centerfield side of the monster.

If for no other reason, I love having Sheffield on this team to make my Red Sox fan father feel sick whenever he comes to the plate. It's pretty cool.
Your argument still doesn't counter my assertion that Sheffield is a me type of guy and is a selfish player. Also, if Cashman had his way then the Yankees would've signed Vlad which would make up the difference of not having Sheffield on the team.

Anyway, I don't know what the Yankees are going to do in November and December, but I wouldn't be surprise that they go in a different direction to fill the DH role and have somebody else play RF.

Bob Saccomano
05-08-06, 07:49 AM
Your argument still doesn't counter my assertion that Sheffield is a me type of guy and is a selfish player. Also, if Cashman had his way then the Yankees would've signed Vlad which would make up the difference of not having Sheffield on the team.

Anyway, I don't know what the Yankees are going to do in November and December, but I wouldn't be surprise that they go in a different direction to fill the DH role and have somebody else play RF.

Vlad wouldn't have wanted to deal with the NY media circus. It's as simple as that. Sheffield might be selfish, but he's been productive as well. Until this year, I didn't hear any complaints about his desire and his level of play - certainly not anything about a "me player." He played injured for us in both 04 and 05, and was fantastic both years. How do you propose to replace one of the top 3 bats in the lineup, and perhaps most feared? A large part of what makes the lineup so deadly is that there are few gaps. If you look yesterday's lineup, without Sheff in there, it looks pretty depleted. It can still score runs, but there are a lot of gaps introduced (the bottom looks like a series of easy outs).

I'll say that I haven't exactly been pleased with his behavior regarding his 07 option. If Melky can produce on the ML level and we can acquire a power bat that hits for average and is as feared as Sheff's, then I'm all for it. My disapproval for his behavior doesn't make me want to diminish what he's brought to the team on the field, though.

38Special
05-08-06, 08:20 AM
Melky has far and away been the best hitting prospect in the international league this year. Despite his walk rate not being AMAZING, he has been the hardest player to strike out in the entire league

ppa79
05-08-06, 08:25 AM

Bring up Melky and lets see what he can do. He's improved a lot since last year and I would like to see what he can do.

Yankees1962
05-08-06, 08:46 AM
Vlad wouldn't have wanted to deal with the NY media circus. It's as simple as that. Sheffield might be selfish, but he's been productive as well. Until this year, I didn't hear any complaints about his desire and his level of play - certainly not anything about a "me player." He played injured for us in both 04 and 05, and was fantastic both years. How do you propose to replace one of the top 3 bats in the lineup, and perhaps most feared? A large part of what makes the lineup so deadly is that there are few gaps. If you look yesterday's lineup, without Sheff in there, it looks pretty depleted. It can still score runs, but there are a lot of gaps introduced (the bottom looks like a series of easy outs).

I'll say that I haven't exactly been pleased with his behavior regarding his 07 option. If Melky can produce on the ML level and we can acquire a power bat that hits for average and is as feared as Sheff's, then I'm all for it. My disapproval for his behavior doesn't make me want to diminish what he's brought to the team on the field, though.
The assumption that Vlad would've not come to New York due to the media is something I don't agree with. However, we will probably never know for sure since we didn't really get far enough into negotiations with him.

Any player can be replaced if the right player is acquired.

Shaun4013
05-08-06, 08:53 AM
If the player called up is only going to be up for a short time, then call someone like Mitch Jones up and let Melky Cabrera continue to work on his game in AAA. If the player called up has a legit shot of sticking even when Sheff comes back, then call up Cabrera.

Edchiro
05-08-06, 08:57 AM

You're absolutely right about Sheff's value in the line-up. Reading his comments about this injury, he's not willing to want to play through it and you have to believe it's because Cash hasn't ponied up next year's option. A happy Sheff is a productive Sheff... who plays through injuries.

Espinosa's Glasses
05-08-06, 09:17 AM
Let him heal.

Bob Saccomano
05-08-06, 09:27 AM
If the player called up is only going to be up for a short time, then call someone like Mitch Jones up and let Melky Cabrera continue to work on his game in AAA. If the player called up has a legit shot of sticking even when Sheff comes back, then call up Cabrera.

I think I read somewhere that Torre stated if someone is brought up from the minors, they want that player to get consistent ABs and playing time. That's key since we don't want to interfere with their development any.

Bob Saccomano
05-08-06, 09:28 AM
Melky has far and away been the best hitting prospect in the international league this year. Despite his walk rate not being AMAZING, he has been the hardest player to strike out in the entire league

I was looking at his numbers last night and they are amazing. I wanted to see him get another chance this year. I hope those numbers translates to some big league success.

I believe he was called up last year when the Yankees were 11-15, and then they slid to 11-19. We're at almost the same point in the season, so it'd be neat to see him come back after a year and see how much he's developed.

rajah
05-08-06, 09:28 AM

Of course Melky would have a shot at sticking if they called him up for two weeks. He would play RF every day. If he hit, he would stay and he would be in the lineup every day, usually in RF, but sometimes in LF or even CF while the others DHed. I.e. He would replace Bernie, who would be relegated to the role folks here hoped he would have. Crosby probably would have to go.

The Shef cloud has a silver lining if this happens. If Shef is DHed and Thompson is called up (not Jones who is not the option), it would only be because the Yanks want to keep Melky as trade bait or think that his confidence could be shattered by another debacle like last year. I hope that neither is true and that they call him up if Shef can't play.

Bob Saccomano
05-08-06, 09:30 AM
You're absolutely right about Sheff's value in the line-up. Reading his comments about this injury, he's not willing to want to play through it and you have to believe it's because Cash hasn't ponied up next year's option. A happy Sheff is a productive Sheff... who plays through injuries.

I think it probably has to do with his option, but I'm not sure he's helping his case any by showing his surly side. If he wants to get that option, he'd better be out there proving that he's worth it and that at this age, he can still produce. Showing that he's injury prone by spending a stint on the DL isn't the best way to go about raising his stock, I wouldn't think.

silverdsl
05-08-06, 09:36 AM
I don't care for Sheffield but I'm not convinced that his unwillingness to play is related to the issue with his option. It's one thing to play through a few aches and pains but I'm not in favor of players forcing themselves to play though more severe injuries, particularly when they are older. I would think that there is a risk of this kind of injury getting worse. Don't forget that Sheffield had this kind of injury before so he knows how it might go and how it might effect him. I would much rather see him rest or go on the DL now for a little bit so that it can heal completely than have it turn into something that lingers all season because he's trying to play through it and he's not giving it a chance to heal.

NelsonMuntz
05-08-06, 09:51 AM
Nirvana.

YankeePride1967
05-08-06, 10:04 AM
The assumption that Vlad would've not come to New York due to the media is something I don't agree with. However, we will probably never know for sure since we didn't really get far enough into negotiations with him.

Any player can be replaced if the right player is acquired.

If Shef is legitimately hurt, that's one thing. But if he's just a little banged up and is using the option as reason to not play then I don't want him on the team.

NelsonMuntz
05-08-06, 10:05 AM

There's a difference between playing injured and playing with pain. If he is legitmately injured (and I suspect he is), I have no problem with this. In fact, as discussed earlier this is a blessing in disguise if Melky is called up, performs well and pushes Sheff to fulltime DH.

Yankees1962
05-08-06, 10:26 AM
If Shef is legitimately hurt, that's one thing. But if he's just a little banged up and is using the option as reason to not play then I don't want him on the team.
I don't like the tone in his comments and if you read the different NY papers, it appears he's using this injury which I believe to be legitimate as another way to express his displeasure of not having his option year picked up yet for 2007.

stephsamps
05-08-06, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know the long term harm of cortisone? Sheff seems to think that getting a shot will hurt him in the future... why?

SINCE77 2
05-08-06, 10:48 AM

The Yankees made the WS without Sheff or Arod in 2003. They made the playoffs in 2004 without much contribution or games played from Giambi. This team can make and win in the playoffs without 1 of the 3-6 guys.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-08-06, 11:07 AM
Maybe he should stop getting injured so easily...

Jim Roche
05-08-06, 11:12 AM
To answer the question raised earlier, "Does anyone know the long term harm of cortisone? Sheff seems to think that getting a shot will hurt him in the future... why?"
From WEB MD, the side effects (depending upon family history) include, but are not limited to the following.
(This partial information is courtesy of WEBMD.com)
1. Infection.
2. Bleeding of the stomach.
3. Osteoporosis.
4. Diabetes.
5. Extreme sense of well being.
6. Depression.
7. Disease of the nerves.
8. Muscle disease.
9. Increased pressure in the eyes.
10. Cataracts.
11. High Blood Pressure.
12. Complete stoppage of the heart.
13. Slow Heartbeat.
14. Abnormal heart rythm.
15. Chronic heart failure.
(There are more side effects deemed as "Severe under "Cortisone Oral")
Having had this medication for my spinal problems, the documentation for injectable cortisone is just as detailed, if not more so.
Hope this helps..
Gary... take your time... take your stem treatments. Get better soon...

Snatch Catch
05-08-06, 11:17 AM

I think Lastings has been comparable, if not better.

bostonyankeefan
05-08-06, 11:21 AM
A wrist injury for Sheff must be particularly difficult when you consider how violent his swing is. If he needs to shut it down, so be it. If he is using the injury to get an advantage in his contract negotiations, that would be really disappointing.

As for a replacement in the lineup, how about Carlos Pena at DH? He hit 27 homers for Detroit a few years ago. I know that he is a first baseman, but I am curious as to how he would hit at the Stadium. I am OK with letting Bubba play right and bat 9th.

ICEBERG18
05-08-06, 11:28 AM

That's what i said earlier in this thread, who could have thought that coming into the season that Melky would be playing on the level with a consensus Top 10 Prospect. Definitely not me, but I'll take it.

Lastings Milledge: .312/.445/.505
Melky Cabrera: .376/.423/.564

WHO'S HOT: OF Kevin Thompson has batted .344 in his last nine games with a pair of homers, five RBIs and nine runs scored. ...

MELKY IS THE MAN: OF Melky Cabrera continues to pound IL pitching, batting .376 with four homers, 24 RBIs and 19 runs scored in his first 30 games. It's hard to believe he would improve on a .355 April, but he's off to a good start in May: so far, he's batting .458 with three homers, eight RBIs and three runs in six contests.

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060508&content_id=68406&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Astorian
05-08-06, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know the long term harm of cortisone? Sheff seems to think that getting a shot will hurt him in the future... why?

Cortisone is useful in suppressing inflammation in the short term, and in the long term, dissolving scar tissue, stabilizing the body's defenses, speeding the healing process, and is very effective in causing certain cysts to disappear. It does however, have a weakening effect on tendons if injected directly into them. It can also soften cartilage when injected into a joint."
http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1349.html

I had an ankle problem last year and a doctor recommended a cortisone shot, but I decided against it after learning of the possible long-term effects. I don't blame Sheff for doing the same, especially after all the cortisone shots he's had through the years.

gdn
05-08-06, 01:08 PM
That's what i said earlier in this thread, who could have thought that coming into the season that Melky would be playing on the level with a consensus Top 10 Prospect. Definitely not me, but I'll take it.

Melky: .376/.430/.564

WHO'S HOT: OF Kevin Thompson has batted .344 in his last nine games with a pair of homers, five RBIs and nine runs scored. ...

MELKY IS THE MAN: OF Melky Cabrera continues to pound IL pitching, batting .376 with four homers, 24 RBIs and 19 runs scored in his first 30 games. It's hard to believe he would improve on a .355 April, but he's off to a good start in May: so far, he's batting .458 with three homers, eight RBIs and three runs in six contests.

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060508&content_id=68406&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jspFrom the EL notebook for the week of May 1, look at this picture. How the heck is the ball there?

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/05/07/jKb2V8Q7.jpg

Wade_Taylor
05-08-06, 01:18 PM
http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1349.html

I had an ankle problem last year and a doctor recommended a cortisone shot, but I decided against it after learning of the possible long-term effects. I don't blame Sheff for doing the same, especially after all the cortisone shots he's had through the years.

Which is fine, except Sheff took repeated Cortisone shots in his shoulder 2 years ago, I believe. To me it seems pretty inconsistent, unless he only now heard about the long term effects of cortisone. Also doesn't he use chewing tobacco? That is not exactly so great for one's health. Not to mention any of the alleged performance enhancers he used or is still using. I guess my point is that it seems that Sheff is making all of these excuses when the real reason appears to be a money/contract issue

yankeebot
05-08-06, 01:22 PM
Which is fine, except Sheff took repeated Cortisone shots in his shoulder 2 years ago, I believe. To me it seems pretty inconsistent, unless he only now heard about the long term effects of cortisone. Also doesn't he use chewing tobacco? That is not exactly so great for one's health. Not to mention any of the alleged performance enhancers he used or is still using. I guess my point is that it seems that Sheff is making all of these excuses when the real reason appears to be a money/contract issue He was reluctant to take the first injection in 2004 then I believe declined to take the second. And at some point, you make the decision that enough is enough. What is wrong with that? As for this being contract related, sure, it could be true but where is there any evidence other than what is being posted on message boards? Did I miss a link somewhere?

MassNYYfan
05-08-06, 01:24 PM
From the EL notebook for the week of May 1, look at this picture. How the heck is the ball there?

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2006/05/07/jKb2V8Q7.jpg

:lol:

I'm gonna say he chopped it into the ground. Otherwise, to the eye doctor with him.

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-08-06, 01:30 PM
Also doesn't he use chewing tobacco?
He did, but quit before this season because his son was starting to imitate him. (Not literally of course, but pretending to be chewing).

I guess my point is that it seems that Sheff is making all of these excuses when the real reason appears to be a money/contract issue
I don't follow this logic at all. If his primary motivation was his contract, I think he'd do anything he could to get back out there and play, including possibly risking long term health. Instead he's passing up what might be a short-term solution, perhaps going on the DL, to try and make sure he's as healthy as possible. Hopefully it will benefit the team as well and he'll be at his best when he resumes playing, but missing games at his age is hardly the way to set oneself up for a big contract.

The Q Bomb
05-08-06, 01:41 PM
I haven't read each and every one of the posts on this thread but I've read most; I hope I'm not just rehashing what has already been said.

I do not think Gary Sheffield is "refusing to play hurt" because The Yankees have not yet picked up his option for next year. I don't think he is exaggerating the extent of the injury and I don't think he can be accused of being a me first player. I think what he can be accused of is having a big mouth and talking too much. All Sheffield needed to say is that his wrist is hurt worse than he and The Yankees first suspected and he is going to have it reevaluated. He didn't have to get into all of that "I'm not going to play hurt anymore...", yada, yada, yada....

Sheffield's bat has a huge impact on this line-up and he is as clutch a batter as we have. To echo what a forumer (whose father is a Red Sox fan who hates to see Sheffield come up to bat against them) already said, one of my favorite plays from the 2003 was the second game in that late June series against The Red Sox at The Stadium (the game before the Jeter dive game) when Sheffield was at the plate with either the tying of go-ahead run on second. He fouled off pitch, after pitch, after pitch. Finally, he lifted a pitch practically off the plate and doubled to drive in the run. Typical Sheffield.

I also am not a big fan of keeping a player in the line-up even with a minor, nagging injury - whether the player wants to "play through it" or not. Unless there is an unusual circumstance where the club has absolutely no one who can be called up or used to replace a player - a healthy player will be of more benefit to a club than an injured one - in most cases. I remember Jeter returning to the line-up after an injury in May or June of '98 and busting it down the line. After the game a reporter commended him for running so hard fresh off an injury and he replied (something to the effect), "I'm fine. If I weren't fine I wouldn't be in the line-up because I couldn't help the team."

Let's just hope this wrist injury is something that will heal with a short stay on the DL and that The Yanks can continue to win without Sheffield in the short run.

Wade_Taylor
05-08-06, 02:05 PM
He did, but quit before this season because his son was starting to imitate him. (Not literally of course, but pretending to be chewing).

I don't follow this logic at all. If his primary motivation was his contract, I think he'd do anything he could to get back out there and play, including possibly risking long term health. Instead he's passing up what might be a short-term solution, perhaps going on the DL, to try and make sure he's as healthy as possible. Hopefully it will benefit the team as well and he'll be at his best when he resumes playing, but missing games at his age is hardly the way to set oneself up for a big contract.

My bad, careless typing. I meant to say that it was my guess that it was more of a contract issue. In that sense I completly agree with your point but it I think, think, he looks at it differently. I think that In Sheffieled's mind, with the team failing to pick up his option, he has no net next year in terms of a contract. If he goes out and plays through the injury he risks making it worse to the point that when he hits the FA market he will be less than 100% and thus he will recieve less money because of it. But, I could be wrong, I just gaged this from his quotes that he is not going to play through the pain at this point in his career. It's probably also a case of Sheffield probably being too honest. I am sure many players take the same tact but simply say that they are not ready, as opposed to getting into specifics like Sheffield. Regardless of what I think, he will most likely be back sooner rather than later and he is not going anywhere this season so as long as long as his time out of the lineup does not cost the team too many games (and it has not really to date) then its largely a moot point.

Yankeeah
05-08-06, 03:07 PM
So what exactly is going on? Are they leaning towards a DL stint or what?

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-08-06, 03:29 PM
My bad, careless typing. I meant to say that it was my guess that it was more of a contract issue. In that sense I completly agree with your point but it I think, think, he looks at it differently. I think that In Sheffieled's mind, with the team failing to pick up his option, he has no net next year in terms of a contract. If he goes out and plays through the injury he risks making it worse to the point that when he hits the FA market he will be less than 100% and thus he will recieve less money because of it.
I can buy that. I don't know if that's what Sheff is thinking or not, but it's certainly plausible a guy would look at things that way.

38Special
05-08-06, 04:34 PM
Milledge's only edge on Cabrera #s wise is walk numbers, which is negated by Melky's superior strikeout numbers (which would show that Melky is more likely to sustain that high average. They are both the same age as well

Snatch Catch
05-08-06, 04:35 PM
Milledge's only edge on Cabrera #s wise is walk numbers, which is negated by Melky's superior strikeout numbers (which would show that Melky is more likely to sustain that high average. They are both the same age as well

Sure, but my response was centered around you saying that he was "by far" the most impressive hitting prospect in the IL.

38Special
05-08-06, 04:55 PM
Sure, but my response was centered around you saying that he was "by far" the most impressive hitting prospect in the IL.

As I said, the only advantage of Milledge over Melky is 9 more walks. Melky has over 50 points of average and slugging over Milledge, and is the toughest hitter in the league to strike out.

In addition, most of the hitters in the league started out very hot (including Melky and Lastings). While much of the league has cooled off as pitching has improved (see Milledge's .160 AVG in May), Melky has gotten better (.458 AVG with 3 HR in May).

In the long run as a genuine prospect, Milledge should be a bit better because of his defense, but i stand by the statement that Cabrera has been head and shoulders above everyone so far

YankeePride1967
05-08-06, 06:00 PM
any word from Columbus yet about the lineup?

38Special
05-08-06, 06:26 PM
any word from Columbus yet about the lineup?

15 Minutes