PDA

View Full Version : I don't get YES and I love it!

CaptainThurman
04-08-06, 12:20 PM
I'm down in Washington DC, and I get the MLB package on Dish Network. It doesn't televise YES broadcasts, but I get every Yankee game on the network of the opposing team....and I absolutely LOVE it!

Am I the only only one in this situation? I hear a lot about YES being Al-Yankzeera state-run television, with nothing negative allowed to be said, and with George's barb's at Torre being fed to the interviewers on the post-game show, and all of that propaganda. I would absolutely despise that kind of blind homerism....on the other hand, the "foreign" broadcast crews are very good, the local color guys are outstanding (I love Rex Hudler with the Angels and Jerry Remy with the Red Sox), and surprisingly, the foreign crews are often very knowledgeable about the Yankees, often respectful, and alwas have unique perspectives to iffer.

Believe it or not, I also enjoy the local commercials. The offer a nice flavor of the local community -- restaurants, car dealerships, law firms. I guess I can live without YES, and I still get every Yankee broadcast.

yankeebot
04-08-06, 12:27 PM
I don't mind YES. Michael Kay will never make a truly negative comment but others will speak their minds especially Jim Kaat. I don't get the MLB package but I do enjoy the home team broadcasts that XM provides for the same reasons you stated.

ZYanksRule
04-08-06, 12:31 PM
That's more Bob Raissmann talking out of his ass, YES isn't THAT homerific. Sure, it is to some extent, but not to the extent you've heard of.

CaptainThurman
04-08-06, 12:36 PM
I really enjoyed last night's Angels broadcast. Rex Hudler pointed out that Jeter was only the second-ever Yankee shortstop drafted in the first round -- Hudler was the first! "Hud" said the best 7 years of his career were the first 7 with the Yankees. I love hearing that from the opposing team's broadcast crew....

ctyanksfan1
04-08-06, 12:41 PM
I'm down in Washington DC, and I get the MLB package on Dish Network. It doesn't televise YES broadcasts, but I get every Yankee game on the network of the opposing team....and I absolutely LOVE it!

Am I the only only one in this situation? I hear a lot about YES being Al-Yankzeera state-run television, with nothing negative allowed to be said, and with George's barb's at Torre being fed to the interviewers on the post-game show, and all of that propaganda. I would absolutely despise that kind of blind homerism....on the other hand, the "foreign" broadcast crews are very good, the local color guys are outstanding (I love Rex Hudler with the Angels and Jerry Remy with the Red Sox), and surprisingly, the foreign crews are often very knowledgeable about the Yankees, often respectful, and alwas have unique perspectives to iffer.

Believe it or not, I also enjoy the local commercials. The offer a nice flavor of the local community -- restaurants, car dealerships, law firms. I guess I can live without YES, and I still get every Yankee broadcast.

I think that will change once the Yankees return home. Extra Innings usually shows the home teams broadcast unless its being shown on an over the air channel, in which case they show the road teams' broadcast.
I would expect to see the YES broadcast on Extra Innings starting on Tuesday.

ChrisV82
04-08-06, 01:44 PM
Wait until you have to hear Central Division teams' broadcasters and then tell me how much you enjoy it.

And I'm also not masochistic enough to want to hear my team trashed while I'm trying to watch the game. I know where and how they suck; I don't need some peckerwood pointing it out to me.

THe Mick 7
04-08-06, 03:29 PM
Also, without YES you miss out on Yankeeography, Yankees Classics, and other cool Yankee oriented shows they air regularly. As a Yankee fan, I find it hard to imagine loving not having all these shows at your disposal.

nhyankeefan
04-08-06, 04:19 PM
Also, without YES you miss out on Yankeeography, Yankees Classics, and other cool Yankee oriented shows they air regularly. As a Yankee fan, I find it hard to imagine loving not having all these shows at your disposal.

That's what I miss about not having YES. I like watching the Yanks on EI but one of these years I'm going to have to break down and buy a dish so I can get it. As I understand it, I'd still have to buy the EI package to watch the Yanks due to blackouts.

the_coach
04-08-06, 04:27 PM
Wait until you have to hear Central Division teams' broadcasters and then tell me how much you enjoy it.

And I'm also not masochistic enough to want to hear my team trashed while I'm trying to watch the game. I know where and how they suck; I don't need some peckerwood pointing it out to me.

This made me laugh...thanks. :lol:

SoCal Pinstriper
04-08-06, 04:37 PM
I really enjoyed last night's Angels broadcast. Rex Hudler pointed out that Jeter was only the second-ever Yankee shortstop drafted in the first round -- Hudler was the first! "Hud" said the best 7 years of his career were the first 7 with the Yankees. I love hearing that from the opposing team's broadcast crew....I enjoy Hudler in limited doses.

Unfortunatly, I hear way too much of the Angel's crew by geographic default. His partner, Steve Phisioc, is, bar none, the very worst play by play guy that I've ever heard. Listen closely. He is really nothing but a nine inning, running commercial for the Angels. He is physically incapable of making it through an entire broadcast without reminding the audience of the 2002 World Championship (I have actually wondered if he is contractually obligated to do so). I have placed and won many bar bets on this. It is actually humorous to hear how he manages to bring it up in the context of the game and his conversation with Hudler.

Rant over. How is it that your MLBEI never uses the Yes feed? I get it (and enjoy it) at least half the time.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
04-08-06, 04:46 PM

For real! I'm watching the Chisox-Royals game on mlb.tv, and they are giving the Chisox broadcast on WGN. Anyway, Mike Sweeney just hit a homer to give the Royals a 1 run lead in the bottom of the eighth....the Sox announcer's call went like this:

that ball is deep...(the ball lands in the seats) that ball is deep.

I thought the announcer was gonna kill himself he was so depressed. For all the grief Kay gets about his supposed homerism he's nowhere near as bad as that guy!

Paul Hunter23
04-08-06, 09:22 PM
For real! I'm watching the Chisox-Royals game on mlb.tv, and they are giving the Chisox broadcast on WGN. Anyway, Mike Sweeney just hit a homer to give the Royals a 1 run lead in the bottom of the eighth....the Sox announcer's call went like this:

I thought the announcer was gonna kill himself he was so depressed. For all the grief Kay gets about his supposed homerism he's nowhere near as bad as that guy!

Hawk Harrelson: That ball is deep..mark that one down.

Not having YES would suck. I had to live without it last year and I was not happy about that.

longtimeyankeefan
04-08-06, 09:28 PM

Considering the fact that none of these programs are available to viewers of the YES network outside the Yankees' broadcasting area, its not a loss.

I had DirecTV with MLB EI for over four years. The last two and one-half years, everything Yankee related on the YES network, except classic rebroadcasts, were blacked out. Yankeeography, Yankee Magazine, even the Yankee memorabellia show were unavailable.

Totally frustrating that MLB would make the YES network pay for the ability to have their broadcasts associated with their team outside their area in this day and age.

This season, I am going with MLB.tv - half the price and they tend to pick up the Friday night over the air broadcasts.

Yankyfan
04-08-06, 09:29 PM
If Kay didn't do the games I'd enjoy yes alot more.

#1PaFan
04-08-06, 09:29 PM
It's extremely difficult for me to listen to the Chisox announcers. He Gone!

Casey37
04-08-06, 09:40 PM
I love YES. I'd have a hard time living w/o it.

bleachersown
04-08-06, 10:26 PM

It's not as bad as mnay people make it out to be. I actually enjoy most of the broadcasters, especially Singleton and Kaat.

Paul Hunter23
04-08-06, 10:47 PM
This season, I am going with MLB.tv - half the price and they tend to pick up the Friday night over the air broadcasts.

No HD and it's pretty choppy.

Jeter Kid
04-08-06, 11:21 PM
I get YES if Extra Innings streams it through YES, and I love YES! I used to have it but I lost my source.

Chinroku_sama
04-08-06, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have any cool stations that allow me to watch the Yanks whenever I want... *cries*
All I have is MLB gameday, ahaha, and whenever they're on the major networks. It's depressing.

ChrisV82
04-09-06, 12:56 AM
Considering the fact that none of these programs are available to viewers of the YES network outside the Yankees' broadcasting area, its not a loss.

I had DirecTV with MLB EI for over four years. The last two and one-half years, everything Yankee related on the YES network, except classic rebroadcasts, were blacked out. Yankeeography, Yankee Magazine, even the Yankee memorabellia show were unavailable.

Totally frustrating that MLB would make the YES network pay for the ability to have their broadcasts associated with their team outside their area in this day and age.

I believe if you pay for the MLB package AND the sports network package, you get most of the Yankees stuff - I still get replays of the last game and certain Yankee-centric stuff blacked out, but I can still watch most of it. Still...it's a lot of money for all of that, and pretty ridiculous I have to subscribe to DirecTV and pay twice more just to watch programming on a single channel.

CalYankeeFan
04-09-06, 01:52 AM

You know what's great about MLBtv...I could go look that up...it's freaking hilarious....he just gets done talking about how they won close games last year, struggled in the close ones so far - it's 3-2, 1 on with Sweeney up

that ball hit deep....that ball hit deep...........................................................................KC Crowd Cheering.............and Mike Sweeney continues to kill our White Sox

:lol: ANd how they refer to the White Sox as "our guys" or "good guys".....

longtimeyankeefan
04-09-06, 07:33 AM
No HD and it's pretty choppy.

I will grant you the lack of HD, although I could care less about HDTV, as I have better things to do with my money than spend ungodly dollars on a television when I can buy one of $79.99 (as I recently did).

As far as the choppiness, then you need to check your internet connection. I watched last night's game over a cable modem and wireless connection with absolutely NO choppiness whatsoever.

Granted, the quality of the picture is not the greatest, but it has improved tremendously over the years.

I believe if you pay for the MLB package AND the sports network package, you get most of the Yankees stuff - I still get replays of the last game and certain Yankee-centric stuff blacked out, but I can still watch most of it. Still...it's a lot of money for all of that, and pretty ridiculous I have to subscribe to DirecTV and pay twice more just to watch programming on a single channel.

Chris -

You list your location as Philadelphia, but that can capture a wide berth.

I live in extreme southern Chester County - had DirecTV, the Sports Pack & MLB EI.

No replays of the Yankees games
No Yankeeography
No Yankees Magazine
No Yankees Hot Stove
Recently, even no Steiner memorabilia show

What I got was a lot of blank screen with the "This Program is not available in your area" message.

The first 1 1/2 years I had DirecTV, it was great - I got everything Yankee related. Then MLB began enforcing whatever rule it has about broadcasting things MLB related outside your area and I slowly began losing programming. First the replay of the games, then basically anything with the title "Yankee" in it.

I had no other need for the Sports Pack except the YES network - goodbye $144 per year. If I can't watch the game live, good bye MLB EI at $160 per year.

Recently, I moved down to NE MD - got rid of my DirecTV and landline (needed for DirecTV). Totalled up the entirety of my costs for TV & internet (I had Comcast basic cable and internet at the old address) and I am saving almost $70 per month - enough to virtually pay for my mlb.tv subscription the first month.

longtimeyankeefan
04-09-06, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have any cool stations that allow me to watch the Yanks whenever I want... *cries*
All I have is MLB gameday, ahaha, and whenever they're on the major networks. It's depressing.

If you have a cable internet connection, take a shot at the mlb.tv subscription - you can get it for $15/month and $80/season, so you can always try it for a month and cancel if it doesn't work for you.

One other nice thing about the mlb.tv that differs from MLB EI - they pick up over the air broadcasts when no sportsnet broadcasts are available. Last season, I watched many of the Friday night games on mlb.tv for that exact reason.

MassNYYfan
04-09-06, 08:21 AM
Most opposing team's announcers make me want to stab myself in the ear drums with needles.

TommyK8
04-09-06, 08:26 AM
If you have mlb.tv, make sure you configure your media player's settings to optimal. I was getting a lot of choppiness even though I was getting plenty of speed from the DSL connection. I went to the FAQ's under troubleshooting, and adjusted the media player's settings as they describe, and now I am getting a good streaming video for every game.

mlb.tv is not great, but if you can't watch your favorite team any other way, it's not a bad option. The thing that drives me crazy is having to watch the game on my computer screen instead of my TV, but I have no other choice. I can't get satellite due to tall trees, and my cable company blacks out the Red Sox on EI even though I don't live in the NESN territory.

CaptainThurman
04-09-06, 09:53 AM
Down here in Washington DC, Dish Network does not have access to YES, and my understanding is that they never will. So I have gotten used to the foriegn broadcast crews, and I get every game. Not bad at all....

Paul Hunter23
04-09-06, 01:27 PM
[quote=longtimeyankeefan]I will grant you the lack of HD, although I could care less about HDTV, as I have better things to do with my money than spend ungodly dollars on a television when I can buy one of $79.99 (as I recently did)./[quote]

You enjoy your 80 dollar tv. I just can't see watching baseball on a computer unless I was out of the country or no other means to receive the broadcast. Just my opinion though.

The Yankee Kahuna
04-09-06, 01:58 PM
I'm in exactly the same situation but the sad thing is you don't get all the games and some teams don't have a channel on Dish.
The guys I can't stand are the White Sox announcers. Last year they were going on about how superior their team was and how they were going to become a dynasty for years to come. They even started comparing the White Sox to the Yankees position by position. Posada vs. AJ I'll take AJ. Tino against konerko I'll take Konerko. Cano vs. Iguchi I'll take Iguchi. Matsui against i dont remember who, well Matsui is clutch but our guy is faster and can steal more bases. :barf: :barf:

Chinroku_sama
04-09-06, 02:51 PM
If you have a cable internet connection, take a shot at the mlb.tv subscription - you can get it for $15/month and $80/season, so you can always try it for a month and cancel if it doesn't work for you.

One other nice thing about the mlb.tv that differs from MLB EI - they pick up over the air broadcasts when no sportsnet broadcasts are available. Last season, I watched many of the Friday night games on mlb.tv for that exact reason.

I've actually been thinking about doing this... it's definitely something to think about! I just have to be a bit careful with money as I don't have a job right now, ahaha. I'll have a summer job though, which will help. It would be really nice to watch all the Yankees' games though!

jimmykey2
04-09-06, 03:25 PM
Hawk Harrelson (of the White Sox) is by far the biggest homer on the air.

I HATE Michael Kay. Hate is a strong word and I use it to describe how I feel about him. The guy doesn't know a thing about baseball, then argues in the booth with guys who played the damn sport! I almost lost my mind when he said in OAK that Frank Thomas is a borderline Hall of Famer at best. WHAT!?

drjeckyl
04-09-06, 03:33 PM
I used to live in MA and got my Yankees via Extra Innings for years. I agree with most of what I've read in this thread. Announcers in opposition home towns usually reflect the sentiment of their constituents, and places like Seattle, KS, Minn, and TB are very anti-Yankee. Many of the more objective announcers I've heard, however, are to be former players just like Yes announcers, but that's not a rule. I think Blyleven in MN is either anti-yankee, or strongly adheres to the local sentiment because it seems to me all he can talk about is the huge sums of money they spend and how the Twins can't compete, etc...

Personally, now that I'm living in the NYC area (again), I'm glad to have fulltime access to YES, and accept any foibles exhibited by their announcers. The alternatives are not very attractive to me I'll also listen to Suzyn and John on the radio some times too, though.

NHYank
04-09-06, 10:42 PM
I really enjoyed last night's Angels broadcast. Rex Hudler pointed out that Jeter was only the second-ever Yankee shortstop drafted in the first round -- Hudler was the first! "Hud" said the best 7 years of his career were the first 7 with the Yankees. I love hearing that from the opposing team's broadcast crew....

Those Angel announcers are boring, they can put you to sleep!

junkman73
04-09-06, 11:13 PM
I just moved to St Louis and am at the mercy of which ever network the MLB package is picking up to show the game. I have to disagree with the fans of Rex Hudler and Steve Phisioc who do the the Angels games. I thought they were horrendous and really made one question how much about baseball they knew. They made so many mistakes in the course of the broadcast it was ridiculous. Although I'm not a big Michael Kay fan, I'll take Kenny and Bobby any day over those 2 donkeys in Anaheim.

PonytailAtHome
04-10-06, 12:50 AM
YES is the best! :2thumbs:

Without it I would be very sad :upset:
For those of you that don't have it, I feel very bad :-sorry-:
There's always something to put a smile on my face :)
Yankee fun all over the place! :NY:

AustinTXHorn
04-10-06, 03:18 AM
Most people think I'm crazy for it, but I love Hudler. I think he's kind of the Bill Walton of baseball. If you take him seriously, you'll hate him. If you don't, you'll love him.

I'm also crazy to the point where I actually don't mind Harrelson at times. It will get annoying once we get going in the season, but I don't mind listening to him every once in awhile.

And although I'm not a Yankee fan, I enjoy watching YES. I wish more teams had something like it.

texasyankee
04-10-06, 07:35 AM
It's extremely difficult for me to listen to the Chisox announcers. He Gone!

Don't remind me! :barf:

Jaeho
04-10-06, 07:41 AM
the foreign crews are often very knowledgeable about the Yankees, often respectful, and alwas have unique perspectives to iffer.

Yeah, I just can't get enough of their "respectful" whining about the Yankee payroll and how their poor little team can't even compete. Or their "unique prespective" on how the Yankees are destroying baseball. And they are never blind homers like those nasty YES guys.

I just LOVE being a self hating Yankee fan!

yanksrule69
04-10-06, 10:26 AM
The YES broadcast team is not great by any stretch of the imagination but I will take them over most opposing team's broadcasts any day of the week. So far this season I have only heard/seen one YES broadcast. The other games I had to watch the A's and Angel's and they are both horrendous. It hurts to listen to them.

rmc512
04-10-06, 01:58 PM

I subscribed to MLB EI with Dish Network for the 2004 & 2005 seasons and I definitely did not get every Yankee game from the opposing team feed. There are many instances when the opposing team feed is OTA, is not available or is simply not televised. For example, you never see Blue Jays vs. Yankees games on Dish. Dish also does not show Washington Nationals games on MASN. This year I decided to opt out of MLB EI and go with MLBTV. I am also considering switching to DirecTV, because it looks like Dish will never spend the $ to get YES.

As to the novelty of hearing other announcers/local ads, etc... that's fun for a while, but I would rather hear the folks who know my team best. And there's also the non-game Yankee related programming that Dish subscribers miss.

One of my favorite announcers is Vin Scully w/ the Dodgers. He's been in the business going back to radio days, and is a real class act. I'd love to hear him call an interleague game vs the Yankees.

NelsonMuntz
04-10-06, 02:41 PM
The YES broadcast team is not great by any stretch of the imagination but I will take them over most opposing team's broadcasts any day of the week. So far this season I have only heard/seen one YES broadcast. The other games I had to watch the A's and Angel's and they are both horrendous. It hurts to listen to them.
I agree 100%. I'm dissappointed when EI shows the non-YES feed. Despite the fact that he's a bit of a goofball, I really don't mind Michael Kay. The only YES announcer that really bothers me is Justice and I'm not even sure if he is still doing games for them.

ctyanksfan1
04-10-06, 03:47 PM
Hmm, I didn't realize the offerings were different on EI for cable & Dish. I thought everyone got the same thing.

rmc512
04-10-06, 04:34 PM
Hmm, I didn't realize the offerings were different on EI for cable & Dish. I thought everyone got the same thing.

I wish that was the case. Unfortunately for Dish subscribers, the only aspect that is the same is the price! Dish should be forced to either offer all of the MLB EI games or sell their watered-down version of EI at a discount.

Jete&Tino42
04-10-06, 09:08 PM
I have MLB Extra Innings and almost every away game is on the other team's home feed. I hate it when I don't get YES. Even though Kay makes me insane sometimes, I'd take him over some of the other broadcasters out there.

cupcollector99
04-10-06, 09:26 PM
The Oakland A's the "Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles California" feeds were awful. The only think I liked was the commercials. If the delay between the radio and TV wasn't so annoying, I'd just turn down the sound and listen to the radio. The YES feed has to be better. I must say that the Red Sox guys on NESN do a pretty good job. They rag on people in the stands and they really know how to make a blow-out interesting.

longtimeyankeefan
04-10-06, 10:29 PM
[quote=longtimeyankeefan]I will grant you the lack of HD, although I could care less about HDTV, as I have better things to do with my money than spend ungodly dollars on a television when I can buy one of $79.99 (as I recently did)./[quote]

You enjoy your 80 dollar tv. I just can't see watching baseball on a computer unless I was out of the country or no other means to receive the broadcast. Just my opinion though.

No problem - I began watching baseball on TV when the only feed available was the NBC game of the week and antennas were not the world's greatest.

My favorite years were the Frank Messer, Bill White, & Scooter years on PIX and the radio. I still vividly remember waking up in the middle of the night to listen to the '77 World Series on AFRTS while stationed in Iceland. Many years later, I got the chance to tell Sparky Lyle thanks for those memories.

Steve J. Rogers
04-10-06, 11:13 PM
I don't mind YES. Michael Kay will never make a truly negative comment but others will speak their minds especially Jim Kaat. I don't get the MLB package but I do enjoy the home team broadcasts that XM provides for the same reasons you stated.

The problem with Kay is, he never owns up to being a homer. And comes off quite indingiant if you try to call him out on it on his radio show. Quite a few "HOW DARE YOU" have cut off callers through the years.

Of course the question is, how can you, after almost 20 years now covering the team, and ONLY the team can you not have at least a little soft spot for them? I'm not saying a complete fan/homer, but at least a satifactory or glum feeling either way.

Of course he uses "Well I DO MAKE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!" Of course making negative comments IS a hallmark of homers!

Bobby Murcer
04-12-06, 02:51 PM
My favorite years were the Frank Messer, Bill White, & Scooter years on PIX and the radio.

Those were my favorite years also. Frank Messer helped teach me how to call a game thanks to his professional delivery. Vin Scully perfected it.

PeteRFNY
04-14-06, 12:48 PM
That's more Bob Raissmann talking out of his ass, YES isn't THAT homerific. Sure, it is to some extent, but not to the extent you've heard of.

It's actually mostly Bob Raissman talking out of Phil Mushnick's ass while Mike Lupica takes pictures.

ManilaYankee
04-14-06, 05:48 PM
I have YES coz I got no other choice. And I get it for free. The BS1/NHK channel from Japan beams it to our local cable company. And you know how much I pay for a monthly charge? Roughly $10 USD only. During inning breaks, it subs to the Japanese commentators and some stats are in Jap. If the inning's back, it subs back to Mr. Kay and company. I get see the whole game without commercial breaks and they provie their own replays and reviews... Focuses the camera on Matsui a lot. :D

Shows some highlights of other Japanese MLB players too...

So... I love YES... :)