PDA

View Full Version : Best Transp. to Stadium, Subway or...

nydeano
04-06-06, 03:22 PM
I am flying into LaGuardia next week and will go directly to the game. Am I better off connecting to subway or having a friend pick me up and head to the game? FYI, I will arrive around 10AM

stephsamps
04-06-06, 03:23 PM
I am flying into LaGuardia next week and will go directly to the game. Am I better off connecting to subway or having a friend pick me up and head to the game? FYI, I will arrive around 10AM

Laguardia isn't that subway friendly. Also, if you will have any bags, you won't be able to bring them into the stadium, so it may be best to have a friend take you and keep the bags. If you were coming from Manhattan, I would definitely recommend the subway

nydeano
04-06-06, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I noticed LaGua. was not subway friendly, I think you have to grab a bus to the subway term.
Good thing is, I won't have any bags.

tiyuri
04-06-06, 04:08 PM
If someone can pick you up that is the best option. Otherwise, you pick up the M60 Bus and take it to Astoria Blvd and take the W or N train. Take that to 59th/Lexington in Manhattan (6 stops) and transfer to the 4. You can also take the Q33/Q47 (depending on your airline) to Jackson Blvd and take the R to 59/Lex. The M60 is about 15 minutes from LGA to the Subway and then the train is also about 15 mins to 59/Lex.

Mr. Mxylsplk
04-06-06, 04:21 PM
You don't even need to take two trains from the m60. Take the bus all the way into manhattan to park and 125th, and go right into the #4 there. From 125th it's 3 stops and 10-15 minutes tops once the train comes. Trains should be running every few minutes at that time. The buses are about every 10 minutes at the airport, and about 40 minutes (depending on traffic) to 125th street.

tiyuri
04-06-06, 04:26 PM
I would be worried about traffic. i have taken the M60 from Columbia to LGA and it has taken an hour and a half or more. The sooner you can get off that bus the better.

nydeano
04-06-06, 04:54 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys. It's been almost 3 years since I have been back to the City. I am actually just flying in for this game, and flying out after the game(gotta love frequent flyer miles). I will most likely hit the bus and then the subway since I will have a little bit of time. I will have my friend take me back to airport after the game. Think I can make a 5:40 flight if I leave the stadium at 4? I think I can pull it off...

Mr. Mxylsplk
04-06-06, 05:05 PM
Think I can make a 5:40 flight if I leave the stadium at 4? I think I can pull it off...
Make sure your friend parks somewhere convenient for getting out quickly. A sold out game like this you could waste a lot of time in traffic right around the stadium.

webassign
04-06-06, 05:31 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys. It's been almost 3 years since I have been back to the City. I am actually just flying in for this game, and flying out after the game(gotta love frequent flyer miles). I will most likely hit the bus and then the subway since I will have a little bit of time. I will have my friend take me back to airport after the game. Think I can make a 5:40 flight if I leave the stadium at 4? I think I can pull it off...
That will really be pushing it. Don't you have to check in a certain amount of time before the flight?

tiyuri
04-06-06, 06:02 PM
Since he has no bags, he can check in online and print his boarding passes for both flights before he leaves for NYC. That will cut down the required time by a lot. It is probably cutting it pretty fine though especially with a sold out crowd and the beginnings of rush hour.

nydeano
04-06-06, 08:22 PM
You're right. it will be close. Kee:Dp your cell phones on, I made need a place to crash.....

PaulieIsAwesome
04-07-06, 12:22 AM
This isn't a response to your situation specifically, but when I'm anywhere where I can get to midtown, I far prefer the subway. Pulling out of the Stadium in a car takes way too long for my taste. Also, that subway ride, right as you pass the Stadium, when everyone else on the car is going to the game, totally rules.

Snap731
04-07-06, 10:10 AM

So you're basically treating going to a Yankee game the same way someone who lives in NYC would. You're coming from home before and you're going straight home after. No hotels, no nothin'.

Shadowkan
04-07-06, 10:29 AM
If you leave the game at 4, you can definately make a 5:40 flight at LaGuardia. Just hop on the deegan to the triboro bridge. That will leave you on the GCP and exit 7 I believe is the airport. It should not take you more than 30 minutes. Just make sure the car is in a spot that is close to the highway.

BTK51
04-07-06, 12:57 PM
Don't know if you'll be out by 4:00 if you stay for the whole game. If you leave before the game is over you might have a better chance. Either way, you will be cutting it close.

I don't think there is too lengthy a pregame. I assume you're talking about Opening Day. Depending upon where you park & when you leave will determine whether you make it or not. I would opt for a later flight if possible so that you can enjoy the game.

Our family goes to Opening Day every year. I never leave before it's over, regardless of the weather and regardless of the score. The traffic varies greatly dependent upon those 2 variables. The other complication is that it is right at the height of Rush Hour.

Snap731
04-07-06, 08:32 PM
If you leave the game at 4, you can definately make a 5:40 flight at LaGuardia. Just hop on the deegan to the triboro bridge. That will leave you on the GCP and exit 7 I believe is the airport. It should not take you more than 30 minutes. Just make sure the car is in a spot that is close to the highway.

Except for what we refer to around here as "Yankee traffic".

The Deegan to the Triboro is BAAAAAAAAAAAD on gameday. I hope the car your in has one of those iPod jack thingies.

SteveMahwah
04-09-06, 04:05 PM
On a related note, does anyone from northern NJ park a little bit away from the stadium and take the subway to the game. The traffic going home is horrendous, especially right around the stadium. I hate having to leave early when I take my 12 year old nephew to games just because of the traffic. I go home via the GWB.

If anyone does this, or has a suggestion on where to park and grab a subway to the game somewhere north of the stadium that is conveient to the GWB, I would really appreciate it. :D

GoYanks
04-09-06, 07:45 PM

Coming in you should have no difficulty with the traffic/bus/subway, but leaving at 4pm with a LaGuardia flight before 6pm, which I have done many times over the past few years can be dicey with very long security lines (so whether you have baggage or not doesn't matter). Honestly, I haven't figured out the pattern ... sometimes it's a breeze, but more often than not I've found problems with traffic or security at that time of day. I also would consider the number of people at the stadium in the late innings & traffic when you're at the game -- I've made a successful run to LGA from the stadium & paying attention to this combo helps.

Enjoy a great game!

busyninja
04-09-06, 08:00 PM
On a related note, does anyone from northern NJ park a little bit away from the stadium and take the subway to the game. The traffic going home is horrendous, especially right around the stadium. I hate having to leave early when I take my 12 year old nephew to games just because of the traffic. I go home via the GWB.

If anyone does this, or has a suggestion on where to park and grab a subway to the game somewhere north of the stadium that is conveient to the GWB, I would really appreciate it. :D

It depends on when you have to leave the game. If it is opening day, there is plenty of "free" parking after all the lots fill up. The free parking is fine if you have to leave the game early. It sounds like you don't want to leave the game early, which is completely understandable. In times like that, I park near Columbus Circle. Sure, the parking is expensive, but I have reasonable choices out of there for both the GWB and the Lincoln. I take the B/D (always the D) up from 59th to the Stadium. It's pretty quick.

jareddudleyfanclub
04-09-06, 08:15 PM
Do you think it will be really packed on thursday?

sultanofswat3
04-09-06, 10:30 PM
EVERY game will be 'really packed' this year.....

tiyuri
04-10-06, 11:33 AM
I have not driven to a game in a couple of years but what we used to do is park up by Woodlawn (for free) and take the 4 the other way. Easy back on to the highway and you are north of the bridge so you are going the opposite way of people who parked at the Stadium.

CyYoung4Vazquez
04-10-06, 01:18 PM
Just an FYI, they are working on the 4/5 tracks in between 42nd and 59th. The project is goign to last for the next two months. Expect delays.

BTK51
04-10-06, 02:59 PM

Depends on what lot you park in. I always park so that I can get out & go back over the GW. The lot I like to park in fills very fast so I also go early. It doesn't bother me to be 1 1/2 - 2 hours early for the game. I usually find someone to talk with if I'm not meeting my freinds till game time or in the seats.

nydeano
04-12-06, 11:06 AM
I made it! Actually, when I landed, I stopped to see if I could move to a 7:10 flight. It was prev. full. They had 1 cancellation, so I took a chance and skipped the 5:40.

Good choice. AWESOME ending. Thanks for everyones input.

stephsamps
04-12-06, 01:20 PM
Glad you made it AND were able to see the ending!