PDA

View Full Version : Yanks gearing up again for #27

Jersey Yankee
04-03-06, 04:17 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/04/02/sports/yanks.sec.jpg
Gary Bogdon for The New York Times
Yankees Mangaer Joe Torre, with his staff, from left, Rich
Monteleone, Rob Thomson, Tony Pena, Ron Guidry, Lee Mazzilli,
Don Mattingly, Larry Bowa, and Joe Kerrigan.

From Day 1, Yanks' Focus Is on Title No. 27 (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/sports/baseball/03pins.html)

OAKLAND, Calif., April 2 Almost immediately after a team wins the World Series, every player gets a commemorative T-shirt. The Yankees decided to hand out theirs the day before the season.

During their scouting meeting at the Coliseum on Sunday, every Yankees player received two T-shirts referring to the team's goal for this season. The operative number is 27. The Yankees, you may have heard, have been stuck on 26 titles since 2000.

One shirt is gray, with a pinstriped No. 27 looming over the NY logo on the front, and "One Team, One Mission" on the back. The other is navy blue, with the 2006 schedule on the back beneath the words "257 days, 37 weeks, 9 months." On the front, with the NY logo, are the words "Mission 27."

General Manager Brian Cashman said that every member of the organization would receive a shirt, though the styles would not be available to the public. The contracts of Gary Sheffield and Mike Mussina expire after this season, and the Yankees have one of the oldest rosters in the majors. If ever a team were built to win now, it is this one.

"We've talked about it there are lots of clocks that are on," Alex Rodriguez said. "Contract clocks, age clocks. I think the urgency is at an all-time high this year, and that's good. It's exciting."

Rodriguez will bat cleanup Monday against Barry Zito and the Oakland Athletics, as long as the forecasted rain does not get in the way. (The game could be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader Tuesday.)

Yankees1962
04-03-06, 04:41 AM
Man, I'm pumped for this season.

RhodyYanksFan
04-03-06, 09:18 AM
Those shirts sound awesome.

TinoFan84
04-03-06, 09:26 AM
Had to order my MLB package from Comcast last night so I'd be ready to go ... now if I can just figure out a way to stay up tonight (assuming it doesn't rain!!!) ... I'd love to see those shirts (and it's a shame they're not available to the public - wonder how long until some enterprising young soul makes up their own version and starts selling it ...

effdamets
04-03-06, 09:29 AM
I've been watching an inordinate amount of interviews of Yankee players and I like what I hear coming out of some of their mouths.

Damon said that he not only wants to win a ring in NY for himself, but for Moose and A-Rod. That is the kind of thing that I like to hear.

I think this season is going to be special. Not as special at '98, but special enough to make us all remember it....

NyQuil
04-03-06, 10:27 AM
I really really want a title this year for Moose. They guy is not going to the hall of fame but has still be a very good pitcher over the years and has come so close so often and not won it. He doesn't have a perfect game, he doesnt have a no hitter, and he doesn't have a 20 win season but the guy deserves a ring.

A-Rod deserves one too but he has a lot more time to win it, heh.

Jersey Yankee
04-03-06, 10:36 AM
Glad you folks liked the article. Interestingly, it's from the Times, which is part-owner of the Sawx.