PDA

View Full Version : John Flaherty to YES

Beccash18
04-01-06, 10:54 PM
From audition for the Mets network to YES.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/404837p-342856c.html

Yankees1962
04-01-06, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that's pretty funny. I wonder if the Mets will respond in kind by signing Leiter to their network?

nyg02005
04-01-06, 10:57 PM
The yankees win again.

hellonewman
04-01-06, 10:58 PM
The YES booth is beginning to resemble one of those circus stunts where they see how many clowns can crowd into a Volkswagen.

Sam18
04-01-06, 11:13 PM
The YES booth is beginning to resemble one of those circus stunts where they see how many clowns can crowd into a Volkswagen.

OR they are secretly trying to get less and less air time for big head man.

hellonewman
04-01-06, 11:22 PM
OR they are secretly trying to get less and less air time for big head man."CenterStage, Hosted by John Flaherty." I like the sound of it.
:2thumbs:

Yankees1962
04-01-06, 11:23 PM
"CenterStage, Hosted by John Flaherty." I like the sound of it.
:2thumbs:
I still don't understand all the hate for Kay?

destiNY
04-01-06, 11:36 PM
That should be interesting...

hellonewman
04-01-06, 11:37 PM
I still don't understand all the hate for Kay?"Hate" is a very strong word ... I find him pompous at times, he's a poor judge of fly balls, and his voice isn't suited to play-by-play: Breaks up into a rasping croak under the stress of a dramatic play. I wouldn't say I "hate" him, though.

nyyanksfan20
04-01-06, 11:37 PM
That is great. We must take Al too so the Mets are stuck with Kevin Brown. LOL

Yankees1962
04-01-06, 11:41 PM
"Hate" is a very strong word ... I find him pompous at times, he's a poor judge of fly balls, and his voice isn't suited to play-by-play: Breaks up into a rasping croak under the stress of a dramatic play. I wouldn't say I "hate" him, though.
However, there are those on this forum that do hate him because they slam him at every opportunity.

-tz
04-01-06, 11:46 PM
Hey, this is a great development! With Flaherty back in close proximity to the team at regular intervals ... surely he can keep an eye on the Big Unit's mechanics and whisper in Guidry's ear! :D

True Yankee-ette13
04-02-06, 12:39 AM
I adore Flaherty. This is good news. :)

DiMaggio5CF
04-02-06, 12:50 AM
"Hate" is a very strong word ... I find him pompous at times, he's a poor judge of fly balls, and his voice isn't suited to play-by-play: Breaks up into a rasping croak under the stress of a dramatic play. I wouldn't say I "hate" him, though.

Kay is good when he's in the booth with Kaat and either Murcer or Singleton (or even O'Neill) and he can basically play interviewer between plays; he asks some good questions.

But when it's Kay alone with one other guy, it's brutal for all the reasons that you mentioned.

JDPNYY
04-02-06, 09:52 AM
Flats will be In Studio at YES for about 30 games this season, probably every time Randy Johnson starts.

Yankees1962
04-02-06, 09:56 AM
Flats will be In Studio at YES for about 30 games this season, probably every time Randy Johnson starts.
According to the following quote taken from the linked article above, he won't be in the YES studio, but instead at Yankee Stadium.

Eric Handler, a YES spokesman, said Flaherty - Jorge Posada's backstop backup from 2003-05 - likely would play a major role on the new "Yankees Batting Practice Today" show, working primarily home games at the Stadium rather than in YES' Stamford, Conn., studio.

stephsamps
04-02-06, 11:27 AM
Perhaps he will take over for Kids on Deck? Anyone know the status of that show?

SI Baseballman
04-02-06, 12:26 PM
thievin' bastards :mad:

obsessedyankeefan
04-02-06, 03:29 PM
From audition for the Mets network to YES.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/404837p-342856c.html
I always liked Flaherty. He seems very knowledgeable and I think he'll do a great job.

This will probably be the only time I'm not upset that we were caught stealing. :D

shanNYY
04-02-06, 10:29 PM
Perhaps he will take over for Kids on Deck? Anyone know the status of that show?

I think Mattingly took over KOD, I saw some photos of Donnie & Damon shooting a segment for the show.

ManilaYankee
04-03-06, 03:56 AM
I like John Flaherty as a player. I think he'll make a good host/analyst for the games this season. I heard from someone before that catchers makes good managers in the future as they see the entirety of the game behind the plate, overseeing everything. I hope he does good.

thecaptain
06-04-06, 06:07 PM
John Flaherty will be in the booth for a few games . Looks like he will do this fridays game also next sunday...
Michael Kay/Bobby Murcer/John Flaherty

puckmaster87
06-05-06, 11:54 AM
John Flaherty will be in the booth for a few games . Looks like he will do this fridays game also next sunday...
Michael Kay/Bobby Murcer/John Flaherty

With Murcer there, Keith Hernandez would sound good.
But in all seriousness, Flaherty is a good broadcaster. I wouldn't be surprised if he's managing in a few years.

yankswn23
06-06-06, 03:40 PM
anybody notice, since Flaherty made the statement about what Randy needed to do, he has been pitching much better lately.. 0)

thecaptain
06-12-06, 08:33 AM
I liked Flaherty in the booth this weekend.. i hope he does a few more games ..

BillBuckner
06-12-06, 11:35 AM
John Flaherty has done an amazing job so far. You can just tell he is a natural.

Irascible Yankee Fan
06-12-06, 11:47 AM
John Flaherty has done an amazing job so far. You can just tell he is a natural.

I agree 100%. He is the best of the ex-player group. I suspect they better give him some more time in the booth, or he will be grabbed by another team.

Good booth talent is hard to come by,and most people who are out of market and watch the Yanks on other feeds know exactly what I am talking about. There is a glut of really crappy announcers out there...and I mean really crappy!

whalers
06-12-06, 03:12 PM
Good booth talent is hard to come by,and most people who are out of market and watch the Yanks on other feeds know exactly what I am talking about. There is a glut of really crappy announcers out there...and I mean really crappy!

Couldnt agree more. I watch most of the Yankees games with EI and there are some terrible announcers. Tampa and Detroit come to mind.

Mangycur
06-13-06, 01:26 AM

Due to having MLB EI only occasionally do I catch a YES broadcast, but did get to hear Flaherty over the weekend and thought he was outstanding. Even more impressed after reading in the linked article that he had no prior experience. Totally smooth and a great voice for the job.

At the beginning of the broadcast Kay introduced John a little condescendingly, IMO, by saying something along the lines that 'he'll be a good broadcaster one of these days after he gets some experience'. Not a direct quote, but damn close. After the game I couldn't help but wonder if Kay's feeling a little insecure.

JeterForPresident
06-13-06, 02:34 AM
Due to having MLB EI only occasionally do I catch a YES broadcast, but did get to hear Flaherty over the weekend and thought he was outstanding. Even more impressed after reading in the linked article that he had no prior experience. Totally smooth and a great voice for the job.

At the beginning of the broadcast Kay introduced John a little condescendingly, IMO, by saying something along the lines that 'he'll be a good broadcaster one of these days after he gets some experience'. Not a direct quote, but damn close. After the game I couldn't help but wonder if Kay's feeling a little insecure.

Its funny because I listen to Kay and he is always a little defensive anytime he makes a statement and someone disagrees with him, usually I find its Singleton, who I enjoy. So it does make me wonder if Kay is worried that he might have the job taken away even though I suspect that because he is pretty good at most of the job, he has nothing to worry about...Nobody does the intro better than Kay IMO.

yankeebot
06-13-06, 05:01 AM
I am enjoying Flaherty but someone needs to tell him to find a good tailor and stop buying his suits off the rack. And a better haircut. Queer Eye for the Yankee broadcasters perhaps?

Mangycur
06-13-06, 07:23 AM
I am enjoying Flaherty but someone needs to tell him to find a good tailor and stop buying his suits off the rack. And a better haircut. Queer Eye for the Yankee broadcasters perhaps?

Bite your tongue. The QEs have Red Sox cooties.:P

Bosox Guy in Chitown
06-13-06, 07:38 AM
Bite your tongue. The QEs have Red Sox cooties.:P

You can't put a nail where a spike's been.... :P

(Stupid phrase my uncle used to say)

Mangycur
06-13-06, 09:20 AM
You can't put a nail where a spike's been.... :P

(Stupid phrase my uncle used to say)

No doubt your uncle is/was a gentleman and a scholar but I could have lived without that mental image, thank you very much.

My Granny too had a saying which seems eerily apropos "If you should ever grow up to become a Yankees broadcaster, don't even think about taking hair and wardrobe advice from men who've waxed the back hair of Kevin Millar, Punkin."

JeffWeaverFan
06-13-06, 11:53 AM
Exactly what I wanted to say. You could tell the second he started doing the post-game interviews with a player. He's really good at both the interviews and just as good in the box.