PDA

View Full Version : Giving props to someone I do not admire.

effdamets
03-30-06, 12:42 PM
After getting home late from work last night, I was flipping through the channels like a zombie when something caught my eye.

Stephen A. Smith on the show "Quite Frankly" starting ranting about Randy Johnson. For some reason I kept the channel on. I don't like Mr. Smith mostly because of the 'inner city' attitude he brings to a show. But that is a personal opinion.

He said something about the Big Unit and the media last night, that might change my mind about him. He was speaking about how he could stand there and go crazy about Randy not paying the child support or Randy not having a relationship with his kid. Yeah, yeah, yeah. But then Mr. Smith said something which I considered smart. He said that he won't do that because "it's none of his damn business!" "What people do in their personal lives is not anyone's business but their own and the media needs to leave the bedroom/personal activities alone". It is because we nor anyone else has all the facts. We can never be sure that the girl sent letters to Randy, asking for a closer relationship. We can never be sure that Randy paid the right amount of support, or if the mother is a raving lunatic, spending all the money Unit gives her for the kid, on drugs.

I think this is so true about so many things. Why can't the press leave people's personal lives out of the newspapers? Is it that they don't believe enough in their ability to come up with another story so they have to sling mud at prominent figures (local or otherwise)? Is it a malicious thing? Like a reporter trying to get back at the star or distract him from having a good season.

Anyway, I thought the segment was great and I think that more reporters should listen to it.

Sam18
03-30-06, 12:50 PM
Good for Stephen A. Maybe now he can learn that wins and losses don't make a pitcher.

Nome
03-30-06, 03:36 PM
Good thoughts. But while I dearly would blast the media for delving into the personal lives of public personalities, and while I like you, think it's none of their damn business. They do it for a reason. The vast majority of the public eats it up and craves for this kind of news. Next time you check out of a supermarket look at the rags on the counter to the left of the conveyor belt and notice how many mags have spreads on Tom Cruise. All I hear is that the public dislikes him intensely, yet they will read anything they can get their hands on, true or untrue, about him.

I am truly saddened by this aspect of our culture and by the dumbing down of our culture as proven by the number and popularity of the reality show genre and about hamy homebodies spend their days immersed in soaps.

How sad, to me at least :( :( :( :( :( :(

Andy

effdamets
03-30-06, 03:43 PM
Good thoughts. But while I dearly would blast the media for delving into the personal lives of public personalities, and while I like you, think it's none of their damn business. They do it for a reason. The vast majority of the public eats it up and craves for this kind of news. Next time you check out of a supermarket look at the rags on the counter to the left of the conveyor belt and notice how many mags have spreads on Tom Cruise. All I hear is that the public dislikes him intensely, yet they will read anything they can get their hands on, true or untrue, about him.

I am truly saddened by this aspect of our culture and by the dumbing down of our culture as proven by the number and popularity of the reality show genre and about hamy homebodies spend their days immersed in soaps.

How sad, to me at least :( :( :( :( :( :(

Andy
I hear this... You are very right!

However, I think if more guys like Stephen A. Smith started yelping about how unfair it is, or even putting up a comparison of "let's write about your personal life and put it on the front page", then maybe some of these guys would be left alone.

All the negative junk that gets written (about anyone) might be the reason why this society is turning to a sh*t pile.... How about reporting the positive things about our public figures, you a-holes.